The Shema

Jesus and the Apostles prove the extra biblical idea of Jewish Monotheism wrong.

John 1:18
No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

John 6:46

No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

Col 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

1 Tim 1:17
17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Tim 6:13-16
I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in his own time — God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

1 John 4:12
12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

conclusion: Someone else besides the Father is who was seen and heard in the OY who is identified as YHWH and its not the Father according to Christ. This should put an end to unitarianism. the question is who is the final authority on all things concerning God ? Is it Christ and the Apostles or is it the unitarians false concept of God ? Who do you believe ? :)

hope this helps !!!

YHWH(God Almighty) revealed himself to Moses in the burning bush (Ex. 3:2-15). It was I AM that spoke with Moses, we are told it was the angel of the Lord that appeared to him. Jesus said to the Jews that He was the I Am that appeared to Moses (John 8:58). The Word (John 1:1) the 2nd Person of the Trinity is who appeared and came down from heaven as the angel of Jehovah. He appeared as a man. This angel of the Lord is called Yahweh in (Gen. 19:1-13, 33). God went before the Hebrews in the wilderness. What they saw was the pillar of cloud and the pillar of fire (Ex. 13:21-22). Paul declared it was Christ who appeared in the wilderness and it was Christ the Lord who was tempted.(1 Cor 10:1-12)

John 1:18 says, "No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten God/Son who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared of explained Him." And then there is John 6:46, "Not that any man hath seen the Father, except he who is from God, he hath sen the Father." The point being made is the fact that the Son of God is the visible manifestation of God (Hebrews 1:3) and the kicker verse if you wil is John 5:37, "And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. YOU HAVE NEITHER HEARD HIS VOICE AT ANY TIME, NOR SEEN HIS FORM." So Jesus here out His own mouth says you have neither heard the Fathers voice nor seen His form."

hope this helps !!!

Since God took the form of a man in the person of the preincarnate Jesus Christ this has to mean that Jesus Christ is God. So on what basis do I come to this conclusion? On the basis of what Jesus Christ Himself said at John 6:46, "Not that any man hath seen the Father, except he who is from God, he hath seen the Father." And on the basis of the testimony of Old Testament saints themselves. Look at Genesis 16:13, "Then she/Hagar called the name OF THE LORD WHO spoke to her, Thou art a God who sees; for she said, Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him." Genesis 18 reading the whole chapter. Here is what vs1 states, "Now the Lord appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he/Abraham was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day." Please read the rest of the chapter and cross reference what Genesis 21:2 says regarding Genesis 18. "So Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the appointed time OF WHICH GOD HAD SPOKEN TO HIM."

And who appeared to Isaac at Genesis 26:2? "And the Lord appeared to him and said, "Do not go down to Egypt, stay in the land of which I shall tell you." Now look at Genesis 26:3, "Sojourn in this land and I will be with you and bless you, for to your and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will ESTABLISH THE OATH WHICH I SWORE TO YOUR FATHER ABRAHAM."

Where did God swear this oath to Abraham ? Look at the whole chapter of Genesis 22 specifically verses 11-18. It was the angel of the Lord/Jesus Christ who swore the oath and He is identified as, what did you say, "God introduced Himself in the first person singular as "The Being." In fact, even the New Testament backs up this first person singular being swearing the oath by Himself at Hebrews 6:13,14, "For when GOD made the promise to Abraham, SINCE HE COULD NOT SWEAR BY NO ONE GREATER, HE SWORE BY HIMSELF. saying, "I will surely bless you; and I will surely multiply you." If you believe that it was an angel that swore the oath on Gods behalf than why does the text say God swore the oath BY HIMSELF AND THERE IS NO ONE GREATER, especially angels who are created like the rest of us mere humans.

I rest my case !

hope this helps !!!

The angel of the Lord who is YHWH is worshiped as YHWH- the Lord God !

Gen 22:11-14

But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"

"Here I am," he replied.

12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided."

Exodus 3:2, 5

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed…And he said, Draw not nigh thither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.”

Judg 6:11-28

The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. 12 When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, "The Lord is with you, mighty warrior."

13 "But sir," Gideon replied, "if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about when they said, 'Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt? But now the Lord has abandoned us and put us into the hand of Midian."

14 The Lord turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?"

15 "But Lord,” Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."

16 The Lord answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together."

17 Gideon replied, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. 18 Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you."

And the Lord said, "I will wait until you return."

19 Gideon went in, prepared a young goat, and from an ephah of flour he made bread without yeast. Putting the meat in a basket and its broth in a pot, he brought them out and offered them to him under the oak.

20 The angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and the unleavened bread, place them on this rock, and pour out the broth." And Gideon did so. 21 With the tip of the staff that was in his hand, the angel of the Lord touched the meat and the unleavened bread. Fire flared from the rock, consuming the meat and the bread. And the angel of the Lord disappeared. 22 When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the Lord, he exclaimed, "Ah, Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!"

23 But the Lord said to him, "Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die."

24 So Gideon built an altar to the Lord there and called it The Lord is Peace. To this day it stands in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

25 That same night the Lord said to him, "Take the second bull from your father's herd, the one seven years old.Tear down your father's altar to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it. 26 Then build a proper kind of altar to the Lord your God on the top of this height. Using the wood of the Asherah pole that you cut down, offer the second bull as a burnt offering."

27 So Gideon took ten of his servants and did as the Lord told him. But because he was afraid of his family and the men of the town, he did it at night rather than in the daytime.

28 In the morning when the men of the town got up, there was Baal's altar, demolished, with the Asherah pole beside it cut down and the second bull sacrificed on the newly built altar!

Our Lord and Savior
Our Lord and God
Our God and Savior
Our True God and Eternal Life
Our Only Sovereign and Lord
Our God and Creator
Our Savior and Lord
Our Lord and Savior

and the list goes on and on- Truth !!!

one must turn a blind eye to the above and put their head in the sand to deny His Deity.

its called presuppositions, eisegesis reading ones own ideas into scripture which is just the opposite of exegesis.
Hello @civic,

Why are you saying this to me? I do not deny the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ? What have I said to make you believe so?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

“‘I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth’ - thus begins the Nicene Creed, recited every Sunday by Christian congregations around the globe. Though rarely noted by trinitarian Christians, the creed specifies, not the Holy Trinity, but the Father as the one God. The creed, of course, goes on to state ‘And in one Lord Jesus Christ’ and ‘And in the Holy Ghost’; but it is the Father who is named the one God. This manner of speech reflects the creed’s biblical and liturgical roots. The apostolic Church did not proclaim a different God than the one God of Israel, just as Jesus himself did not. Our Lord no doubt offered traditional prayers of synagogue Judaism and recited the Shema. … Yet the resurrection and ascension of Jesus compelled the Church to advance a new identification of the one God.”

Jesus didn’t advance “a new identification of the one God” -> the Church did.

For Judaism, for Jesus, the identification of the one God is the Father; not the Trinity.

“‘I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth’ - thus begins the Nicene Creed, recited every Sunday by Christian congregations around the globe. Though rarely noted by trinitarian Christians, the creed specifies, not the Holy Trinity, but the Father as the one God. The creed, of course, goes on to state ‘And in one Lord Jesus Christ’ and ‘And in the Holy Ghost’; but it is the Father who is named the one God. This manner of speech reflects the creed’s biblical and liturgical roots. The apostolic Church did not proclaim a different God than the one God of Israel, just as Jesus himself did not. Our Lord no doubt offered traditional prayers of synagogue Judaism and recited the Shema. … Yet the resurrection and ascension of Jesus compelled the Church to advance a new identification of the one God.”

Jesus didn’t advance “a new identification of the one God” -> the Church did.

For Judaism, for Jesus, the identification of the one God is the Father; not the Trinity.
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Hello @Matthias,

I found the above online, and confess that I have not seen it before.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,

true God from true God,

and became man.
He ascended into heaven

Hello @Matthias,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
The confession is an affirmation of the Trinity in Unity as the One God who is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

It’s an expanded version of the Shema in 1 Cor 8:6 and Matthew 28:19.

Last edited:
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,

true God from true God,
and became man.
He ascended into heaven

Hello @Matthias,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I was raised in a church (Southern Baptist) that didn’t recite creeds. I first learned about it myself in a poorly attended Bible Study put on by my pastor.

If someone is persuaded that the one God is the Trinity then they should believe it. What they shouldn’t do is be a history denier. How and when trinitarianism became the faith confessed by the Church is in all the papers. That’s why I encourage people to read Church history.

Genesis 1:1-26- the Plural God revealed from the beginning. Don’t accept the fallacies about the word Trinity not in scripture. Neither is the word unitarian in scripture. Scripture alone proves God is Plural in Persons and is not a solitary person

hope this helps !!!

I. Plural pronouns used of God proving the trinity:

Click here for detailed study of plural references to God

A. Three plural pronouns, (We, Us, Our) used 6 different times in four different passages. Remember the word God (elohim) is also plural every time it is used in the Old Testament. Gen 11:7 also includes a plural verb (confuse) which even further, through grammar reinforces the plural "elohim" and the plural pronoun US.

1. "Our" Gen 1:26
  2. "Us" Gen 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isa 6:8
  3. "We" Isa 6:8
B. These are the four passages where God speaks for Himself and uses plural pronouns:

1. "Then God [plural elohim] said, "Let Us [plural pronoun] make man in Our [plural pronoun] image, according to Our [plural pronoun] likeness" Genesis 1:26
  2. "Then Yahweh God [plural elohim] said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us [plural pronoun], knowing good and evil" Genesis 3:22
  3. "Come, let Us [plural pronoun] go down and there confuse [plural form of balal] their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech." Genesis 11:7
  4. "Then I heard the voice of the Lord [plural elohim], saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us [plural pronoun]?"" Isaiah 6:8
II. Christ is the identical image of God, angels are not

A. Jesus Christ is our co-creator who is the exact image of God.

1. "see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. " 2 Corinthians 4:4
  2. "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. " Colossians 1:15
  3. "And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, " Hebrews 1:3
B. There is no reason to suggest the plural pronoun is the "plural of Majesty", since both Jesus and the Father are described as having the same image.

hope this helps !!!

Here is one thing that shows unitarianism is not true.

Nowhere in the NT does the Father once say:

“ I Am God.”

The confession is an affirmation of the Trinity in Unity as the One God who is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

It’s an expanded version of the Shema in 1 Cor 8:6 and Matthew 28:19.
'But to us there is but one God, the Father,
of Whom are all things,
and we in Him;
and one Lord Jesus Christ,
by Whom are all things,
and we by Him.'

(1 Cor. 8:6)

'And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying,
All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things
whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway,
even unto the end of the world. Amen.'

(Mat 28:18-20)

Thank you, @civic.

:)

Shema Yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai echad.

Jesus of Nazareth is adoni, not Adonai. (See Psalm 110:1)

The Shema isn’t a confession about Jesus of Nazareth. Nor is it a confession about the Trinity. The Shema is the confession of Jesus of Nazareth. The Shema is the confession of Judaism.

Adonai / Yahweh is Jesus’ own God, the Father.

The Aaronic blessing should be coupled with the Shema.

“May Adonai bless you and keep you.
May Adonai make his face to shine on you and show you his favor.
May Adonai lift up his face toward you and give you peace.”

(Numbers 6: 24-26, Complete Jewish Bible)

Adonai is the God and Father of our adoni Jesus Messiah.

Adonai is the one God.

A Father has Children.

That is why they are called "father" or daddy or "abba".

So, its by the Cross of Christ and through the Holy Spirit. (not water)... that God birth's Sons/Daughters, as His Children and He is their FATHER, "abba" "daddy".

He creates/birth's them Spiritually, as a "new Creation in Christ"..... with/by the Holy Spirit, Just like He created Jesus in the womb of Mary.

Jesus was born as a man.
We are born again Spiritually.
Jesus left Heaven to be born like Us.
And we joined God in Heaven, born again spiritually, down here.

Isn't Salvation, such a lovely mystery?
Its a beautiful thing, indeed.

Same God causes it.
Same Holy Spirit performs it.

“So, what was Jesus’ religion? The simple answer is Judaism. … Jesus was a rabbi - a teacher of Judaism.

(Stephanie Hammon, “What Religion Was Jesus?”)

Bold is hers.

Judaism is unitarian. Jesus is a Jew. His religion is Judaism. Jesus is a unitarian.

His confession, his creed, is the confession / creed of Judaism: the Shema.

“For the Jew ‘God‘ meant God the Father in heaven; …”

(Raymond E. Brown, Jesus God And Man, p. 87)

Jesus himself is a Jew -> Who is his God? God the Father in heaven.

The “Jesus is a trinitarian” teaching advocated by some on this forum contradicts Jesus’ Jewish identity.

The Real Messianic Jews of Judaism and the Shema

Hear O Israel, The Lord Our God, The Lord Is One.

And also hear O Israel, and everyone else – Yeshua is the Son of God, the Second Person of the Trinity, the Messiah and Lord and mankind’s one and only Savior. And the following truths are certain, sure and absolutely true, and must be understood and acted on before you leave this world – otherwise things will happen to you that you don’t want to happen to you:

God the Father sent His Son from Heaven to rescue us from the things we can’t rescue ourselves from – the domination of Satan and the other fallen angels, sin and our sin nature, death and Hell. Yeshua the Messiah lived a perfect life. He did many amazing miracles. He taught the greatest truths. He died the most special death – a death that enables us to be reconciled to God and live forever. Then God raised His Son from the dead. Then the risen Lord Yeshua ascended to Heaven, where He is right now, seated at the right hand of His Father. The Lord Yeshua is alive and real and full of life and grace and love and truth and power and help and salvation. Need evidence of these most important truths?https://shema.com/about/

hope this helps !!!

Back
Top Bottom