The rise of a gap view

TomL

The typical starting point for when the “gap” theory between the 69th and 70th week was introduced sources to John Darby, a founder of the Plymouth Brethren. He wrote in the 1830’s. Aside from the historic view, there were others near that time, but still before him, who disagreed with Darby; they were men like Matthew Henry (c1700), John Calvin (c1550), and Sir Isaac Newton (c1700), and bibles like the Geneva Bible. They maintained the “fulfilled historic” view, rather than the “future view”.

From Matthew Henry, Commentary on the Whole Bible, Daniel Chapter IX, section III, to wit,

"1. The times [Daniel's 70 weeks] here determined are somewhat hard to be understood. In general, it is seventy weeks, that is, seventy times seven years, which makes just 490 years. The great affairs that are yet to come concerning the people of Israel, and the city of Jerusalem, will lie within the compass of these years. ... It does serve still to refute and silence the expectations of unbelievers, who will not own that Jesus is he who should come, but still look for another. This prediction [Daniel's 70 weeks] should silence them, and will condemn them; for, reckon these seventy weeks from which of the commandments to build Jerusalem we please, it is certain that they have expired above 1500 years ago; so that the Jews are for ever without excuse, who will not own that the Messiah has come when they have gone so far beyond their utmost reckoning for his coming. " http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc4.Dan.x.html
And then there is this from John Calvin.

After the grace of Christ had been obstinately rejected, then the extension of abominations followed; that is, God overwhelmed the temple in desecration, and caused its sanctity and glory to pass utterly away. Although this vengeance did not take place immediately after the close of the last week, yet God sufficiently avenged their impious contempt of his gospel, and besides this, he shews how he had no longer need of any visible temple, as he had now dedicated the whole world to himself from east to west. http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/calcom25.iv.xxxviii.html
Sir Isaac Newton also believed the 490 years were fulfilled.

For by joining the accomplishment of the vision with the expiation of sins, the 490 years are ended with the death of Christ. https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/newton_isaac/prophecies/daniel10.cfm
The key verse that was changed to allow the change from “fulfilled” to “future” was to whom the “he” referenced. Again, prior to Darby, no one thought the “he” referenced anyone but Messiah.

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. Daniel 9:27 (bold mine)
Prior to Darby, all of the writers referred the “he” to Messiah. But Darby believed it referred to the prince who destroyed the city in 70 CE or Titus or more generally the Romans. Thus he looked for some sort of revived Roman Empire consisting of 10 states (toes).

Cyrus I. Scofield picked up the new teaching and published it. Since the Scofield Reference Bible of 1917, this theory has gained in popularity. Another person who picked up the new tradition was Sir Robert Anderson who published The Coming Prince.

Conclusion​

Up until about 1850, all the research points to the fulfillment of the 70 weeks of Daniel. After Darby, even though his contemporaries argued against the gap idea, the belief in a future fulfillment was popularized. https://christianity.stackexchange....e-70-weeks-of-daniel-understood-over-the-ages

The typical starting point for when the “gap” theory between the 69th and 70th week was introduced sources to John Darby, a founder of the Plymouth Brethren. He wrote in the 1830’s. Aside from the historic view, there were others near that time, but still before him, who disagreed with Darby; they were men like Matthew Henry (c1700), John Calvin (c1550), and Sir Isaac Newton (c1700), and bibles like the Geneva Bible. They maintained the “fulfilled historic” view, rather than the “future view”.

From Matthew Henry, Commentary on the Whole Bible, Daniel Chapter IX, section III, to wit,

And then there is this from John Calvin.

Sir Isaac Newton also believed the 490 years were fulfilled.

The key verse that was changed to allow the change from “fulfilled” to “future” was to whom the “he” referenced. Again, prior to Darby, no one thought the “he” referenced anyone but Messiah.

Prior to Darby, all of the writers referred the “he” to Messiah. But Darby believed it referred to the prince who destroyed the city in 70 CE or Titus or more generally the Romans. Thus he looked for some sort of revived Roman Empire consisting of 10 states (toes).

Cyrus I. Scofield picked up the new teaching and published it. Since the Scofield Reference Bible of 1917, this theory has gained in popularity. Another person who picked up the new tradition was Sir Robert Anderson who published The Coming Prince.

Conclusion​

Up until about 1850, all the research points to the fulfillment of the 70 weeks of Daniel. After Darby, even though his contemporaries argued against the gap idea, the belief in a future fulfillment was popularized. https://christianity.stackexchange....e-70-weeks-of-daniel-understood-over-the-ages
For a guy who rejects human opinions, you sure spend a lot of time building your opinions on human opinions.

What's sick is that once you build your opinions on human opinions, you then ditch those sources and claim its a biblical fact.

How do you know that Darby is the originator of the "gap theory" of Daniel 9:24-27?

Do you have evidence of this?

How do you know that it didn't originate earlier?

For a guy who rejects human opinions, you sure spend a lot of time building your opinions on human opinions.

What's sick is that once you build your opinions on human opinions, you then ditch those sources and claim its a biblical fact.

How do you know that Darby is the originator of the "gap theory" of Daniel 9:24-27?

Do you have evidence of this?

How do you know that it didn't originate earlier?
Sorry that has nothing to do with my opinion.

It's history

The source is the evidence

I did not write it

I form my view based on biblical truth

Sorry that has nothing to do with my opinion.
🤣
So you reject the opinions of all those Bible scholars you quoted?
Matthew Henry, John Calvin, Isaac Newton?
Are they liars?
It's history
their writings are indeed historical. But are they historically accurate?
and how do you actually know their views of history are in fact correct?
The source is the evidence

I did not write it
I never said you did write their materials.
stop being so defensive.
you're demanding we agree with you.
you have repeatedly stated that you have verified your beliefs for yourself, without any opinions of humans (in mocking me for quoting David Guzik's commentary), yet here you are, quoting the commentaries of Henry, Calvin, and Newton.

I form my view based on biblical truth
BS!
You just demonstrated that your views are based entirely on the views of men who expressed their views on the Bible.

So... yeah...

BS!

Here's the problem you're refusing to recognize...

You have criticized me for basing my views on my own reading, along with my reading of the views of men who have expressed their views on the Bible.

Where I come from...

We call that hypocrisy.

If you're going to dance around this, you'll prove my point.
It's plainly observable.

🤣
So you reject the opinions of all those Bible scholars you quoted?
Matthew Henry, John Calvin, Isaac Newton?
Are they liars?

their writings are indeed historical. But are they historically accurate?
and how do you actually know their views of history are in fact correct?

I never said you did write their materials.
stop being so defensive.
you're demanding we agree with you.
you have repeatedly stated that you have verified your beliefs for yourself, without any opinions of humans (in mocking me for quoting David Guzik's commentary), yet here you are, quoting the commentaries of Henry, Calvin, and Newton.

BS!
You just demonstrated that your views are based entirely on the views of men who expressed their views on the Bible.

So... yeah...

BS!

Here's the problem you're refusing to recognize...

You have criticized me for basing my views on my own reading, along with my reading of the views of men who have expressed their views on the Bible.

Where I come from...

We call that hypocrisy.

If you're going to dance around this, you'll prove my point.
It's plainly observable.
No i criticized you for depending on man's calculation while ignoring what God stated

and my posting of the history of the doctrine has nothing to do with biblical interpretation

hello

These are unrelated matters

and your effort to equate the two is rather nonsensical.

No i criticized you for depending on man's calculation while ignoring what God stated

and my posting of the history of the doctrine has nothing to do with biblical interpretation

hello

These are unrelated matters

and your effort to equate the two is rather nonsensical.
While depending on man's calculations...

🤦🏽‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom