The Golden Rule

I don't see any similarity between the Golden Rule and an eye for an eye. That's difference between the positive and the negative formulations of the Golden Rule.

An eye for an eye speaks to me more about seeking revenge than with trying to get along and loving your neighbor. I believe we're called to love unsaved people into the kingdom of God. The way to do that is tell them about Jesus and what he has done for them on the Cross. John 3:16

The bottom line is to do to other people everything, without exception, that love and Jesus’ commandments require.

Such as by taking a guidelines that were meant only for judges (Deuteronomy 19:15-21) and misapplying it by using it to justify taking revenge in personal situations (Matthew 5:38-42). In personal situations, we should not reply in kind (Proverbs 20:22, 24:29).
The Golden Rule does not do that. It is just and equal.
It's very simple. If you want to preserve your eye don't come after mine because if you succeed in taking out my eye God has given me His permission to go after yours.
If somebody, not just brethren (and I've had fist fights with brethren) strikes me in the face I'm not going to lay down and submit. It's on!

I don't see any similarity between the Golden Rule and an eye for an eye. That's difference between the positive and the negative formulations of the Golden Rule.
An eye for an eye speaks to me more about seeking revenge than with trying to get along and loving your neighbor.
When God gave the command of eye for eye, strike for strike, and life for life to His Covenant people these had nothing to do with revenge.
Nothing at all.

Do you even know the original command God gave to His Covenant people on who they were instructed to love and who is the identity of "neighbor" is?
By your comment you think "neighbor" means the guy or gal that lives next door to you in your apartment complex who is unsaved. God never commanded His people to love the unsaved. As a matter of fact, it'd be hypocritical for God to command His people "do not love the world (unsaved people) nor the things in the world. If any man loves the unsaved (world) the love of the Father is not in them., and then to turn around and He Himself love the world which is the error in the Church that God's loves everyone and Christ died for everyone.
I believe we're called to love unsaved people into the kingdom of God. The way to do that is tell them about Jesus and what he has done for them on the Cross. John 3:16
Well, that's your belief but it's not biblical nor did God ever instruct, guide, command, nor even hint that His Covenant people love non-covenant people.
Paul and Barnabas were called out by the Holy Spirit and given a commission to do a thing for God in Acts 13. By your saying that "you tell people about Jesus" mean God has specifically given you a calling to do that and gifted you with spiritual gifts to accomplish that call like He did Paul and Barnabus? Because Paul described the body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 12-14 and Romans 12 like a body with many members and each part of the body functioning in that thing for which it was given function to do. What place/part in the body of Christ are you and what are your spiritual gifts to accomplish that call? Do you even know? Because if God hasn't spoken directly to you and revealed your place in the body of Christ and your gifts and you just UP and do what you want, you're not an obedient servant/Christian. You're like a ship without a rudder and a horse without a bit in your mouth. Being tossed in the waves and maverick.
You see, if and when God is going to use someone in the body of Christ, He calls them and reveals their place in the body and their function and also instruction in what to do and what to say and when to do it and when to say it. And He equips His servants. The model and teaching is in Scripture. Study it. If you want to be used of God study His Word, stay in prayer, ask Him, and when His time is right, He'll speak to you. But not before. God uses obedience not disobedience, and if you're out there in the world telling people about Jesus and they haven't even asked you you're not doing God service. To obey is better than sacrifice for disobedience is as witchcraft. God doesn't use rebellion. So, think about it. Until God speaks to you live your life as peaceably as much as possible with all men and learn to do your own business and always be ready to give an answer to those that ask of the hope in you with meekness and fear. And if they're not asking then say nothing. You're supposed to be a living epistle to be read of all men. But if you're out there pushing Jesus on people that haven't asked of the hope in you then all you're doing is pushing them away because nobody wants to hear about God and Jesus Christ. They have one master and really resent it when you try to push another Master on them, and they hate your Master. God can't and doesn't use this.
The bottom line is to do to other people everything, without exception, that love and Jesus’ commandments require.
You do know that God's Word is holy, right?
So, if God is not giving that which is holy to dogs why are you?
You do know the Word of God is symbolized as Pearl, right?
So, if God is not casting His pearls to swine why are you?
Unless of course, God has placed you in the body of Christ and has revealed your place to you and given you certain spiritual gifts to accomplish that function for Him. If God hasn't done this then you're copying and mimicking other Christian's place in the body and their function and pretty much just making things worse. In the Kingdom of God the King has Court and not everyone in His Court has the same function. The royal cook doesn't just go over to the motor-pool, take the keys off the rack, and take the King's buggy out for a spin. There would be consequences to pay.
The eye functions as the eye because that's how God created the eye to function. It'd be a deformed body if the eye didn't know it was an eye and started acting like an ear or a foot. You understanding this? Well, it's biblical. God teaches it in His Word. Study it. And wait on the Lord. Be obedient and wait on the Lord.

It's very simple. If you want to preserve your eye don't come after mine because if you succeed in taking out my eye God has given me His permission to go after yours.
If somebody, not just brethren (and I've had fist fights with brethren) strikes me in the face I'm not going to lay down and submit. It's on!
That misunderstanding of Deuteronomy 19:15-21 is exactly what Jesus was speaking against in Matthew 5:38-42.

When God gave the command of eye for eye, strike for strike, and life for life to His Covenant people these had nothing to do with revenge.
Nothing at all.

Do you even know the original command God gave to His Covenant people on who they were instructed to love and who is the identity of "neighbor" is?
By your comment you think "neighbor" means the guy or gal that lives next door to you in your apartment complex who is unsaved. God never commanded His people to love the unsaved. As a matter of fact, it'd be hypocritical for God to command His people "do not love the world (unsaved people) nor the things in the world. If any man loves the unsaved (world) the love of the Father is not in them., and then to turn around and He Himself love the world which is the error in the Church that God's loves everyone and Christ died for everyone.

Well, that's your belief but it's not biblical nor did God ever instruct, guide, command, nor even hint that His Covenant people love non-covenant people.
Paul and Barnabas were called out by the Holy Spirit and given a commission to do a thing for God in Acts 13. By your saying that "you tell people about Jesus" mean God has specifically given you a calling to do that and gifted you with spiritual gifts to accomplish that call like He did Paul and Barnabus? Because Paul described the body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 12-14 and Romans 12 like a body with many members and each part of the body functioning in that thing for which it was given function to do. What place/part in the body of Christ are you and what are your spiritual gifts to accomplish that call? Do you even know? Because if God hasn't spoken directly to you and revealed your place in the body of Christ and your gifts and you just UP and do what you want, you're not an obedient servant/Christian. You're like a ship without a rudder and a horse without a bit in your mouth. Being tossed in the waves and maverick.
You see, if and when God is going to use someone in the body of Christ, He calls them and reveals their place in the body and their function and also instruction in what to do and what to say and when to do it and when to say it. And He equips His servants. The model and teaching is in Scripture. Study it. If you want to be used of God study His Word, stay in prayer, ask Him, and when His time is right, He'll speak to you. But not before. God uses obedience not disobedience, and if you're out there in the world telling people about Jesus and they haven't even asked you you're not doing God service. To obey is better than sacrifice for disobedience is as witchcraft. God doesn't use rebellion. So, think about it. Until God speaks to you live your life as peaceably as much as possible with all men and learn to do your own business and always be ready to give an answer to those that ask of the hope in you with meekness and fear. And if they're not asking then say nothing. You're supposed to be a living epistle to be read of all men. But if you're out there pushing Jesus on people that haven't asked of the hope in you then all you're doing is pushing them away because nobody wants to hear about God and Jesus Christ. They have one master and really resent it when you try to push another Master on them, and they hate your Master. God can't and doesn't use this.

So, if God is not giving that which is holy to dogs why are you?
You do know the Word of God is symbolized as Pearl, right?
So, if God is not casting His pearls to swine why are you?
Unless of course, God has placed you in the body of Christ and has revealed your place to you and given you certain spiritual gifts to accomplish that function for Him. If God hasn't done this then you're copying and mimicking other Christian's place in the body and their function and pretty much just making things worse. In the Kingdom of God the King has Court and not everyone in His Court has the same function. The royal cook doesn't just go over to the motor-pool, take the keys off the rack, and take the King's buggy out for a spin. There would be consequences to pay.
The eye functions as the eye because that's how God created the eye to function. It'd be a deformed body if the eye didn't know it was an eye and started acting like an ear or a foot. You understanding this? Well, it's biblical. God teaches it in His Word. Study it. And wait on the Lord. Be obedient and wait on the Lord.
Oh brother....Do you even know, has it Entered your mind, is it possible you have thought of ...where's the ignore button. Oh that's much better

Why that post is so uplifting, Is that part of the sermon on the mound? I don't know but if I had my eye taken out I would want a shot of morphine and a ride to the hospital. But then again I'm not an internet tough guy. I had a fight getting the lid off the mayonnaise jar. That jar will never mess with me again.

Nothing at all.

Matthew 5:43-48
You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.

That is the hardest commandment to follow but it's a commandment nevertheless.

You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.

If I can't do that one or at least be willing to try I'm just spinning my wheels. I like that expression God loves you and I'm trying...

I had to lay down the Bible when I first read it several decades ago. I'm still struggling with it but by God's Grace I carry on as best as I can.
The way I look at it... the lifestyle I lived and the fact that I was such a jerk. but God has forgiven me for so much because he loves me, the least I can do is to try and love my brother.

That misunderstanding of Deuteronomy 19:15-21 is exactly what Jesus was speaking against in Matthew 5:38-42.
15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
Dt 19:15–21.

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Mt 5:38–42.

I'd say with regard to eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, and life for life, Jesus was upholding the original instruction and command in Deuteronomy.

There are two ways to be struck. Like a noble or man, and like a slave. A noble or honorable man is struck with the back of the hand. A slave is struck with the open palm, as Jesus was struck by the soldier. So, to be struck I'd be facing my offender and to strike me with evil (the left palm: in Latin the word for 'left' is similar to a word meaning 'sinister) he would use the right palm to my left cheek. Jesus instructs that now I must be struck like a man and this means my offender in reverse arc must come around and strike me on my right cheek. This is what "turning the other cheek" means. If you think (and if others think as well) that Jesus is teaching I must submit myself to be struck twice then you and others are teaching Jesus changed the Law of strike for strike to now be strike-strike (struck twice) and I do nothing.
Jesus is not changing the Law. He is upholding Deuteronomy 19:15-21 with His words in Matthew 5:38-42.

Why that post is so uplifting, Is that part of the sermon on the mound? I don't know but if I had my eye taken out I would want a shot of morphine and a ride to the hospital. But then again I'm not an internet tough guy. I had a fight getting the lid off the mayonnaise jar. That jar will never mess with me again.
Some know, understand, and are obedient to God and His Word and some are not.
If someone strikes me, I strike back. God is wise gracious and merciful in commanding strike for strike.
It's usually the bully that picks on others and gets away with it because the other person is weak, fearful, or erroneously believe Jesus wants His conquering people to submit to aggression from others by allowing themselves to be struck twice (the other cheek) and get beat up. The Holy Spirit in me will not allow that to happen to me and to God's people IF they understand His Word correctly where the Golden Rule of strike for strike is commanded. When my offender realizes he's going to get struck back he'll stop striking me.

The original command God gave His Covenant people in WHO to love is found in Leviticus 19:18-19, in which God commands that Covenant people love only Covenant people.
And since Jesus is teaching the children of Israel of twelve tribes in Covenant with God to "love your enemy" He is teaching this people of two kingdoms and still have animosity towards each other and still enemy with each other to love those of the opposing kingdom tribes so that they may be "children OF YOUR FATHER who is in heaven." Especially since Israel's Messiah was on the scene and kingdom fever was still forefront on their minds while He was here. Remember, the disciples asked Jesus after His resurrection and talking about the Kingdom of God for forty days if He was going to restore the kingdom to Israel. Ten tribes of the Northern kingdom and two tribes of the Southern kingdom hated each other so much they went to war many times after Solomon's death. So, this is the "enemy" Jesus was teaching His Covenant people to love. He upheld the original command in Leviticus. Christians are commanded to love their Christian brethren ONLY. Anyone that loves the world (inhabitants of unsaved people) the love of the Father is not in them.
Jesus didn't change the Law of Leviticus 19:18-19 in who to love, He enforced it.

15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
Dt 19:15–21.

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Mt 5:38–42.

I'd say with regard to eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, and life for life, Jesus was upholding the original instruction and command in Deuteronomy.

There are two ways to be struck. Like a noble or man, and like a slave. A noble or honorable man is struck with the back of the hand. A slave is struck with the open palm, as Jesus was struck by the soldier. So, to be struck I'd be facing my offender and to strike me with evil (the left palm: in Latin the word for 'left' is similar to a word meaning 'sinister) he would use the right palm to my left cheek. Jesus instructs that now I must be struck like a man and this means my offender in reverse arc must come around and strike me on my right cheek. This is what "turning the other cheek" means. If you think (and if others think as well) that Jesus is teaching I must submit myself to be struck twice then you and others are teaching Jesus changed the Law of strike for strike to now be strike-strike (struck twice) and I do nothing.
Jesus is not changing the Law. He is upholding Deuteronomy 19:15-21 with His words in Matthew 5:38-42.
Indeed, Jesus was upholding the original instruction in Deuteronomy 19:15-21 by correcting what the people had heard being wrongly said about it, which is also what you are wrongly saying about it. In Deuteronomy 19:!5-21, it giving instructions specifically in regard to the conduct of judges, not saying that we are free to take revenge without the need for judges. If your interpretation correct, then Jesus would have made parallel statements of saying that if a man sues you and takes away your coat, then sue them and get your coat back, not give him your cloak too, he would have said that if someone compels you to go a mile, then compel them to go a mile, not go another mile.

Indeed, Jesus was upholding the original instruction in Deuteronomy 19:15-21 by correcting what the people had heard being wrongly said about it, which is also what you are wrongly saying about it. In Deuteronomy 19:!5-21, it giving instructions specifically in regard to the conduct of judges, not saying that we are free to take revenge without the need for judges. If your interpretation correct, then Jesus would have made parallel statements of saying that if a man sues you and takes away your coat, then sue them and get your coat back, not give him your cloak too, he would have said that if someone compels you to go a mile, then compel them to go a mile, not go another mile.
That's Deut. 19:15.
I'm talking about Exodus 21:24-25. There' no mention of judges.

Back
Top Bottom