The Golden Rule

jeremiah1five

12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7:12.

31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. Lk 6:31.

The Law and the Prophets.
Let's see what the Law says:

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. Ex 21:23–26.

This is the Golden Rule.

Struggling to see the connection.
If you want someone to strike you, strike them first. They will do to you as you've done to them.
Obviously.
The Golden Rule was wisdom from God for His people to live together amongst themselves before Him without having to go to Moses all the time you are struck in the face. And it applies to the Gentile Church in this day and age.
Eye for eye: God has given His permission for the offended to take the eye of someone who has taken their eye. So, to preserve your eye you don't go after mine.
Wisdom.
A Golden Rule.

The problem with this rule, is some people really want some strange things done to them and not everyone agrees...

It seems to presume a good morality to begin with.

Well, let's start with a simpler one.
Some people want their freedoms taken away from them and to trust the government with more control.
Those sound like ignorant people that don't understand our form of Republic.
Should they do unto others what they want done unto them?!
The others would be the government. And the freedoms they should take away from them would be to participate in the election process and vote them out of office.

12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7:12.

31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. Lk 6:31.

The Law and the Prophets.
Let's see what the Law says:

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. Ex 21:23–26.

This is the Golden Rule.
Personally, I prefer that people are doctrinally direct with me, no matter how it might hurt. I would rather bite the bullet and be done with it than to pussy foot around a heresy/ailment of mine that will take a millennium to remedy.

That's how I see those verses.

Personally, I prefer that people are doctrinally direct with me, no matter how it might hurt. I would rather bite the bullet and be done with it than to pussy foot around a heresy/ailment of mine that will take a millennium to remedy.

That's how I see those verses.
I don't know what to tell you since this is your first comment and I haven't said you were ill.
What ails you?

If you want someone to strike you, strike them first. They will do to you as you've done to them.
Obviously.
The Golden Rule was wisdom from God for His people to live together amongst themselves before Him without having to go to Moses all the time you are struck in the face. And it applies to the Gentile Church in this day and age.
Eye for eye: God has given His permission for the offended to take the eye of someone who has taken their eye. So, to preserve your eye you don't go after mine.
Wisdom.
A Golden Rule.
Guidelines that were given to judges to make sure that the consequence does not escalate out of proportion to the offense should not be used to justify taking revenge into our own hands, which is what Jesus was teaching in Matthew 5.

Guidelines that were given to judges to make sure that the consequence does not escalate out of proportion to the offense should not be used to justify taking revenge into our own hands, which is what Jesus was teaching in Matthew 5.
You mean secular judges?
Yes, Jesus was upholding the Golden Rule which is also known as the Law of Retaliation and did not change a thing about it.
Eye for eye, strike for strike, life for life.
But these Laws were not given to the world but the world copies God's Laws and do so without giving glory to the Author of those Laws so any "justice" meted out by secular judges will not be just.
It will be unjust.
And it usually is.

You mean secular judges?
Yes, Jesus was upholding the Golden Rule which is also known as the Law of Retaliation and did not change a thing about it.
Eye for eye, strike for strike, life for life.
But these Laws were not given to the world but the world copies God's Laws and do so without giving glory to the Author of those Laws so any "justice" meted out by secular judges will not be just.
It will be unjust.
And it usually is.
The Mosaic Law gives instructions to judges over Israel that were only intended to be followed by them and not intended to be used to justify taking revenge into our own hands. Indeed, Jesus did not change a thing about the rule, but spoke against how it was being misapplied.

I've actually been waiting for something about the "Golden Rule" to be published on this forum. To me it's basically due Unto others as you would have them do Unto you.

12 So then, whatever you desire that others would do to and for you, even so do also to and for them, for this is (sums up) the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12

The golden rule indicates that the horizon of Christian action is universal. Human beings are partners. Thus by no means do we have in the Sermon on the Mount an ethic that is to be practiced only in the protected inner sanctuary of the Christian community.

I like to think it's part of our everyday life.

I've actually been waiting for something about the "Golden Rule" to be published on this forum. To me it's basically due Unto others as you would have them do Unto you.

12 So then, whatever you desire that others would do to and for you, even so do also to and for them, for this is (sums up) the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12

The golden rule indicates that the horizon of Christian action is universal. Human beings are partners. Thus by no means do we have in the Sermon on the Mount an ethic that is to be practiced only in the protected inner sanctuary of the Christian community.

Yes same here :)

Yes, the original rule is found in Exodus 21:24-25. It's also called the Law of Retribution.
Jesus only put it in "other words."
Do to other's as you would want them to do to you is the same as eye for eye just in more colorful language.

The "horizon" is only within Covenant brethren. The Word of God was not written to and for anyone but the Bride of Christ who is Israel.
Gentile believers are grafted in and when the Times of the Gentiles are ended God turns His full attention back to Israel, sends at least two prophets/witnesses whom God uses to finally show Israel that this Jesus was truly their Messiah (but there were already Israelites in the first century who accepted Christ and Messiah as their Lord and Savior.
Gentile believers were grafted into the Olive Tree which represents the Nation of Israel.
It's almost impossible for brethren to fellowship when they don't see the same Jesus and say the same thing as God. That's why the Holy Spirit said this:

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. Acts 2:42.

The 'apostles' doctrine was unified. They all saw the same Jesus and said the same thing as God and the result was there was fellowship, excellent communion and unity of mealtime (whichever way you want to take it), and their prayers were unhindered.
Not so today.

But the Lord knows them that are His.

Scripture, please.

Post an example.
Such as by taking a guidelines that were meant only for judges (Deuteronomy 19:15-21) and misapplying it by using it to justify taking revenge in personal situations (Matthew 5:38-42). In personal situations, we should not reply in kind (Proverbs 20:22, 24:29).

Back
Top Bottom