Promises for Your Everyday Life

Boldly Approach the Throne

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Hebrews 4:16

God wants us to get in the habit of running to Him for grace (supernatural inner strength). He wants us to rely solely on Him. But the enemy tries to lie to us, telling us that we're not good enough to be in God's presence. Satan tries to convince us that we've made too many mistakes for God to want to have anything to do with us.

But that's not what God's Word says. His Word says that as His redeemed and forgiven children, we can boldly approach His throne. You need to receive this truth today and make the choice to live by it. Instead of saying, "I don't feel like God loves me," "I don't feel like I'm forgiven" or "I don't feel like I have a future," say, "God loves me, and nothing can separate me from His love.

He has forgiven me and I can approach Him right now with confidence that He accepts me." Every time you feel unworthy, remember what the Word of God says, and then boldly go to your heavenly Father. He is waiting eagerly to receive you.

Prayer Starter: God, I boldly come to You because Your Word says that I am forgiven and that I can always come to You. Thank You for Your forgiveness for my failures and Your grace that helps me in every time of need.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Learn to Say "It's None of My Business."

DO NOT judge andcriticize andcondemn others, so that you may not be judged andcriticized andcondemned yourselves. Matthew 7:1

Thousands of things we encounter every day are neither right nor wrong but are simply personal choices, choices that people have a right to make on their own without outside interference. The devil stays very busy assigning demons to place judgmental, critical thoughts in people's minds.

I can remember when it was entertaining for me to sit in the park or the shopping mall and simply watch all the people go by as I formed a mental opinion of each of them, their clothing, hairstyles, companions and so on. But the Bible says that it's wrong to judge people this way. We cannot always prevent ourselves from having opinions, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the moment we think there's something wrong with other people because they don't share our personal preferences, we have a problem with judging others.

In these situations, I tell myself, "Joyce, it's none of your business." Don't let harmful judgments grow in you. Instead, realize that God made everyone different and it's ok for people to think differently. And when necessary, tell yourself, "This is none of my business."

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to judge or criticize others. When I encounter people who have different opinions and personal preferences than me, please help me to see them through Your eyes and remember that my opinions aren't more important than theirs.

Don't Have an Exaggerated Opinion of Yourself

For if any person thinks himself to be somebody [too important to condescend to shoulder another's load] when he is nobody [of superiority except in his own estimation], he deceives anddeludes andcheats himself. Galatians 6:3

The Bible repeatedly warns us against pride. And I cannot emphasize enough the danger of pride. See, when we give in to pride, we give the enemy a place of great influence over us. When we think too highly of ourselves, it causes us to value others less, forget to trust God, and ignore the truth that we're really nothing without God.

This type of attitude or thinking is detestable to the Lord. We must have a holy fear of pride and remember that we're special and valuable because God loves us and has forgiven us, not because we can accomplish great things on our own. It's important to understand that whenever we excel in any area, it is only because God has given us the gift of grace to do it.

The moment we think we've accomplished great things in our own strength, we're getting in to pride. Remember, we belong to God. Instead of having exaggerated opinions of ourselves, let's focus on God's greatness and His love for us. It's by His grace alone that we can succeed in doing whatever He's calling us to do.

Prayer Starter: Lord, only through You am I worth anything and able to accomplish anything. I release any pride I may be holding on to, knowing that when I succeed and excel, it's because of Your grace and goodness.

Sowing and Reaping

Do not be deceived anddeluded andmisled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at (scorned, disdained, or mocked by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside.) [He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God.] For whatever a man sows, that andthat only is what he will reap. Galatians 6:7

The Scriptures plainly tell us that we will reap what we sow. Literally, this applies to farming and planting crops. It also applies to giving money and being generous. But did you know that this principle also applies to the way we treat others? We can sow and reap attitudes and words as well as a crops or finances. The devil loves to keep us busy thinking selfishly, treating loyal friends as unimportant, sowing words of strife in our families, and thinking negative thoughts about bosses, pastors, etc.

The devil wants us to sow bad seed in every single relationship. So many people behave this way and then wonder why people don't like them or treat them the way they want to be treated. The answer is simple, they are reaping what they've sown! Let me ask you, what are you sowing today? No matter the person, no matter the relationship, sow love, forgiveness, kindness, and patience.

You'll find that as you treat others the way God wants you to, you will reap a life filled with encouraging friendships and wonderful, godly relationships.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I want to sow good things and reap good things. Instead of acting selfishly toward others, help me to sow kindness and love in my relationships with all of the people in my life.

Rose-Colored Glasses and Magnifying Glasses

THEREFORE YOU have no excuse ordefense orjustification, O man, whoever you are who judges andcondemns another. For in posing as judge andpassing sentence on another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge are habitually practicing the very same things [that you censure and denounce]. Romans 2:1

When we think and talk about what is wrong with everyone else, we are usually deceived about our own conduct. Jesus commanded that we not concern ourselves with what is wrong with others when we have so much wrong with ourselves (see Matthew 7:3-5). The Bible clearly tells us that when we judge others, we often judge them for things that we also do! I once asked God why we would do something ourselves and think it was perfectly alright but judge someone else who does it.

The Lord said, "Joyce, you look at yourself through rose-colored glasses, but you look at everyone else through a magnifying glass." It's true! We make excuses for our own behavior, but when someone else does the same thing we do, we are often merciless. I encourage you to reverse the process, assume the best in others, but keep your own life under the magnifying glass. Allow God to deal with you first, and then you will learn the scriptural way of helping others grow.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, instead of examining the lives of others, I want You to help me examine my own life. I know that with Your help, I can correct the issues I have and find the proper way to help others grow as well.

Be Suspicious of Suspicion

Love bears up under anything andeverything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]. 1 Corinthians 13:7

First Corinthians 13:7 gives us a clear picture of what it means to really love people. I can honestly say that obedience to this Scripture has always been a challenge for me. I was brought up to be suspicious and to distrust everyone, but meditating on the characteristics of love and realizing that love always believes the best has helped me to develop a new mindset.

Suspicion works against the very qualities necessary for godly relationships. Trust and faith bring joy to life and help relationships grow to their maximum potential, but suspicion cripples a relationship and usually destroys it. Now, it's true that people aren't perfect, and sometimes our trust can be taken advantage of, but overall, the benefits of always seeing the best in people will far outweigh any negative experiences.

If you struggle with suspicion, remember today that we have the wonderful Holy Spirit in us to remind us when our thoughts are going in the wrong direction. Let's ask Him to turn our suspicious thoughts into thoughts of love.

Prayer Starter: God, I understand now that always distrusting and being suspicious of others is damaging to my relationships. Show me how to open my heart to others and to believe the best in ever circumstance.

Carnal Christians and Spiritual Christians

For you are still [unspiritual, having the nature] of the flesh [under the control of ordinary impulses]. For as long as [there are] envying and jealousy andwrangling and factions among you, are you not unspiritual andof the flesh, behaving yourselves after a human standard andlike mere (unchanged) men? 1 Corinthians 3:3

There are two kinds of Christians, and you have to choose which one you will be. Will you be a carnal Christian or a spiritual Christian? A carnal Christian is a people-pleaser who cares more about what people think than about obeying God. They are immature, operating out of their emotions and doing whatever they feel like saying and doing.

They are usually in strife, discontent, easily offended and lacking peace. There are far too many Christians living this way today. But you can be different. You can be a spiritual Christian who diligently follows after the desires of the Spirit. You can be that Christian who will feed their spirit with the Word every day.

You can be the Christian who will let God into every area of your life, not just church on Sundays. I urge you today to make a full-time commitment to follow Christ. Let the Lord into everything you do. Walk with integrity, humility and peace. Get along with others. Display the fruit of a spiritual Christian and enjoy the favor of God. Make the choice today. Will you be a carnal Christian or a spiritual Christian?

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to be a carnal Christian, always led by the flesh. Instead, I want to be led by the Holy Spirit, living a life that pleases You. I choose today to be a spiritual Christian, not a carnal one.

Understanding Human Nature

But Jesus [for His part] did not trust Himself to them, because He knew all [men];
25 And He did not need anyone to bear witness concerning man [needed no evidence from anyone about men], for He Himself knew what was in human nature. [He could read men's hearts.] John 2:24-25

One time after I had been involved in a disappointing church situation, God brought John 2:24-25 to my attention. It speaks of Jesus' relationship with His disciples. It plainly says that Jesus did not trust Himself to them. While He gave Himself to them relationally and lived life with them, He knew that they were not perfect.

He understood human nature and He did not trust Himself to them in an unbalanced way. This made me realize that I had placed my trust in people at church that should only belong to God and had set myself up for disappointment. We can go only so far in any human relationship. If we go beyond godly wisdom, we will likely be hurt.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that some people will never hurt us, only to be disappointed when they don't live up to those standards. No one's perfect. The good news is that God is perfect and will not disappoint. He is always loving and good. Don't give trust to people that belongs to God, but rather, give yourself completely to Him. He alone is trustworthy.

Prayer Starter: God, no human is perfect, but You are. I won't give the kind of trust to people that only belongs to You. You will not disappoint. I find comfort today in Your perfection.

Thoughts and Words Are Intimately Connected

The mind of the wise instructs his mouth, and adds learning andpersuasiveness to his lips.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the body. Proverbs 16:23-24

Proverbs 16:23-24 shows us that our thoughts and words are intimately connected. They are like bone and marrow, so close, it is hard to divide them (see Hebrews 4:12). Because of this, it's important that we have pleasant thoughts so we can also have pleasant words. Our thoughts are silent words that only we and the Lord hear, but those words affect our inner man, our health, our joy and our attitude.

The things we think about often come out of our mouths and sometimes make us look foolish, but if we live God's way, our thoughts and words can make our lives more enjoyable. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can let your thought life run in any worldly direction and then 'fake it' by speaking godly words.

Either both are pleasing or both are negative and sinful. There is no middle ground. Begin to operate in the mind of Christ, and you will step into a whole new realm of living. As you spend time letting Him adjust your thinking, you won't have to think about speaking pleasant words. It will just happen naturally!

Prayer Starter: God, I realize that my thoughts and words are connected. I don't want to try and 'fake' on the outside what isn't real inside. Please adjust my thoughts so that I can speak pleasant, godly words.

SETTLE THE DISPUTE

For the desires of the flesh are opposed to the [Holy] Spirit, and the [desires of the] Spirit are opposed to the flesh (godless human nature); for these are antagonistic to each other [continually withstanding and in conflict with each other], so that you are not free but are prevented from doing what you desire to do. Galatians 5:17

To be successful in accomplishing God’s will for our lives, we must have determination. One definition of determine is ‘to settle a dispute by an authoritative decision or a pronouncement.’ This definition encourages me because I make ‘pronouncements’ often as a way of building my determination in certain areas.

Sometimes the best way to overcome the temptation to give up is to say to yourself: ‘Oh, no you don’t! Stop your whining and straighten up right this minute!’ Galatians 5:17 tells us that the flesh and the spirit don’t get along. Remember, the definition of determine carries the idea of settling a dispute.

This is important because if you are going to commit to anything, you will have to settle the never-ending dispute between your flesh and your spirit. You may not always want to make the effort to be determined, but don’t give up or you’ll be outside of God’s will.
Find the discipline today to make ‘pronouncements,’ encouraging yourself to stay determined and settle the dispute between your spirit and flesh as you follow God’s plan.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I want to settle the dispute between my flesh and spirit, and I can’t do it without determination. Strengthen me and give me the right pronouncements to ensure that I never give up.

Understanding Our Emotions

So then those who are living the life of the flesh [catering to the appetites and impulses of their carnal nature] cannot please orsatisfy God, orbe acceptable to Him. Romans 8:8

I talk a lot about how we need to follow the Spirit, not our emotions. However, I find that a lot of people don't even understand how our emotions operate in the first place. Emotions are in the realm of the soul. Our soul is the intangible area between our spirit, the place where God lives, and our physical body. It is made up of our mind, will and emotions, it tells us what we think, what we want and how we feel.

Of these three areas of the soul, it's our feelings that get stirred up the fastest. In other words, our God-given inner voice of insight and understanding become easily drowned out by the cries of our emotions. The Bible says that this kind of fleshly life doesn't please God. This doesn't mean that God doesn't love us.

What it does mean is that He is not satisfied with nor will He accept fleshly behavior. However, once you understand how negative emotions work, you can combat them. Our souls may be strong, but our spirits can be stronger if we strengthen them. Get in the Word today, and give your spirit the strength to overcome your emotions.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to let my emotions overpower my spirit. As I spend time with You and read Your Word, give me the power I need to be led by the Spirit, not just how I feel.

More Than Conquerors

Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors andgain a surpassing victory through Him Who loved us. Romans 8:37

God gives us dreams for the future, but sometimes those dreams can seem impossible. That's when fear starts to set in. If you are determined to never give up on your dream, then you have to take chances, you have to be courageous. And you need to understand that courage is not the absence of fear; it is pressing forward when you feel afraid.

So when you face situations that threaten or intimidate you, you do not need to pray as much for the fear to go away as for boldness and courage so you can move ahead in spite of the fear. The spirit of fear will always try to keep you from going forward. The enemy has used fear for centuries to try to stop people, and he is not going to change his strategy now.

But you can defeat fear, because you are more than a conqueror through Him who loves us. I want to encourage you to be determined to face fear when it comes against you. Stand firm, trusting God and knowing He is always with you.

Prayer Starter: God, even though I might feel afraid, I believe Your Word, which says that I am more than a conqueror. I can accomplish every dream You've given me because You love me and give me the victory.

Take Down the 'Do Not Disturb' Sign

Herald andpreach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking andcorrecting, warning andurging andencouraging them, being unflagging andinexhaustible in patience and teaching. 1Timothy 4:2

I frequently stay in hotels during my ministry travels. When I am in my room, I usually put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door so nobody will bother me. Hanging this sign on my hotel room door is acceptable. But putting it on my life isn't. Have you ever noticed that God doesn't always do things on our timetable or in ways that are convenient for us?

Paul told Timothy that as a servant of God and a minister of the Gospel, he needed to fulfill his duties whether it was convenient for him or not. I doubt Timothy was nearly as addicted to convenience as we are today.

But if he needed to hear that, then I'm sure we need to hear it frequently. It's so easy to put a "Do Not Disturb" sign over our hearts for fear that God's call will inconvenience us, but we miss out on so many great opportunities when we do this.

We need to remember that whatever God asks us to do, it's always worth any inconvenience or difficulty we face in the process. And He will always make a way for us to accomplish His will when we are obedient to Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose today to take down the 'Do Not Disturb' sign over my heart. Even if it inconveniences me, I want to obey You and do what You ask me to do.

Let People Know They're Infinitely Valuable

Though my father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will receive me. Psalm 27:10

I have discovered that most people we meet or come in contact with in our everyday lives don't have a sense of their infinite value as children of God. I think the devil works very hard to make people feel devalued and worthless, but we can neutralize the effect of his lies and insinuations by building up, encouraging and edifying people.

One way to do this is with a sincere compliment, which is one of the most valuable gifts in this world. Offering a sincere compliment may seem like a small thing, but it gives tremendous strength to people who feel insecure or like they don't matter much. I believe in having goals, and as I was working with God to develop good habits in the area of encouraging others, I challenged myself to compliment at least three people each day.

I recommend that you do something similar to help you become an aggressive encourager. The Bible says that God adopts as His children those who feel abandoned. Let's find those people and strive to build them up, making them feel valuable. Let's let them know that God loves them. Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, show me the people who don't know that God loves them as His own children. Bring me across their path so that I can encourage them and make them feel valuable.

Learn to Forgive Like Jesus

Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots. Luke 23:34

I once heard about a teenager who was drinking and caused an accident that killed a man's wife and child. The man knew God wanted him to forgive the young man who caused the accident, and through much prayer he was able to let the love of God flow through him. That man knew how to forgive like Jesus.

He understood that this young man was also hurt himself and needed healing. When people hurt us, we should learn to look at what people have done to themselves instead of just looking at what they have done to us. Usually, when a person hurts someone else, he's probably hurting himself at least as much and is suffering some fallout as a result. That's why, as He hung on the cross in agony, Jesus said of His murderers, 'Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.' That's incredible forgiveness. Let that inspire you today. We all need to seek to forgive like Jesus. Prayer

Starter: Lord, when people hurt me, help me to see past my own pain and see their pain. Help me to love and forgive like Jesus.

THE NATURE OF GOD’S LOVE

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:4

Sometimes when life gets discouraging, the best thing we can do is remind ourselves of the nature of God’s love. One of the most beautiful things the Bible says is that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (see Romans 5:8). He did not wait for us to deserve His love. He loves us unconditionally. To be honest, that’s hard for many of us to comprehend because we are so accustomed to having to earn everything in life.

Because of His great, wonderful and intense love for us, God poured His life out for us freely. That is revolutionary love, real, revolutionary love that gives itself away because it can never be satisfied doing anything less. It is God’s unconditional love that draws us to Him, His amazing grace that erases our sin, and His powerful sacrifice that makes a way for us to enter His presence.

His love will never quit, never give up, and never leave you. Whenever you feel down or depressed, remember the great love that God has for you.

Prayer Starter: God, Your love overwhelms me. Even when I don’t feel like it, I know that Your love never quits. You gave Your all for me, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that You love me.

Giving Must Cost You Something

But the king replied to Araunah, “No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”
So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen and paid fifty shekels of silver for them. Samuel 24:24

I believe that in God's economy, nothing cheap is worth having. God gave His only Son to free us, and while we can never equal that sacrifice, we must give back to Him in a way that means something. King David said he would not give God something that cost him nothing. And I have learned that true giving is not giving until I can feel it.

Giving away the clothes and household items I'm finished with may be a nice gesture, but it doesn't equal real giving. Real giving occurs when I give somebody something that I want to keep. I'm sure you've had those testing times when God asks you to give away something you like. But when you consider how He gave His only Son for us because of His love for us, doesn't that make you want to give of yourself too?

The simple truth is this: We must give to be happy, and giving is not true giving if it doesn't cost us something.

Prayer Starter: God, I want my giving to be meaningful. Tell me what and when You want me to give to help or just bless someone else. I want to give to others like You have given Your love to me.

Loving Without Getting Tired

7He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free,
8the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
the Lord loves the righteous.
9The Lord watches over the foreigner
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
Psalm 146:7-9

God speaks frequently in the Bible of our responsibility to the oppressed, widows, orphans, fatherless and foreigners. He mentions those who are lonely, neglected, forgotten and devalued. He cares deeply for the oppressed and the hungry.

People can be hungry in many ways. They may have plenty of food to eat but be starving to feel valuable. God lifts up those who are bowed down with sorrow; He protects the stranger and upholds the fatherless and the widow. How does He do this? He works through people. He needs committed, submitted, dedicated people who live to meet the needs of others.

Mother Teresa once said, 'Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.' I have come to understand that many people we encounter daily are just trying to survive until someone rescues them, and that someone could be you or me. Let's allow God's love for the hurting and broken to work through us, meeting the needs of those who are hurting spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Let's love without getting tired.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, empower me to love without getting tired. Give me Your heart for the hurting and the needy and show me how to meet their needs.

God's Love Isn't Based on Feelings

And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
Romans 5:5

It's impossible for human love to be unconditional, like God's love. But as believers in Jesus Christ, we have the love of God in us. We can let that love flow freely, without conditions. Our love fails, but God's does not.

Our love comes to an end, but God's does not. Sometimes I find that although I can't love a person in my own strength, I am able to with God's love. The true love of God doesn't depend on feelings, it's based on a decision. It's not based on whether or not that person deserves it. And it is absolutely freeing to be able to love people without stopping to ask if they deserve it.

Human love depends on feelings. It loves people because they have been good to us or they loved us first. That kind of love comes and goes. God's love is totally different. It isn't based on anything except God Himself. When we receive Christ as our Savior, the love of God is poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit. Pour out God's love to others today.

Prayer Starter: God, my love may run out, but Yours never will. I will continue to draw on Your endless love so that I can give it out to others, without being concerned about whether they deserve it or not.

Last edited:
Let Your Light Shine

' Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven.'
Matthew 5:16

Famed philosopher and orator Edmund Burke once said, 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.' It's true. Doing nothing is easy, but it's also dangerous. Where there is no opposition to evil, evil will multiply. We all fall into the trap of complaining about the things that are wrong.

But complaining does nothing except discourage us even more. It changes nothing because there is no positive power in it. Imagine what a mess the world would be if all God did was complain about everything that has gone wrong since He created it. But the Father doesn't complain. He continues to be good and work for justice.

Evil is powerful, but good is more powerful. We need to stop and realize that God has chosen to work on this earth through His children, you and me. His light is inside us and we can't afford to do nothing. We must let our light shine, no matter what, as we live our lives doing good in His name.

Prayer Starter: Lord, it's very easy to sit back and do nothing, but it's so much better to actively let Your light shine. Help me stand in opposition to evil, and act on Your goodness every chance I get.

Back
Top Bottom