Promises for Your Everyday Life

Aeliana

Why Does a Good God Let Bad Things Happen?

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

When we experience terrible tragedy, being angry with God is quite common. People frequently ask, "If God is good, all-powerful, and full of love for us, why didn't He stop the thing that caused the pain?"

This is where Satan seeks to build a wall between God and the hurting person. He seizes the opportunity to say, "God isn't good, and He can't be trusted." However, we know according to the Word of God, the truth is not in Satan, he is a liar and the father of lies.

Read James 1:17. Everything good comes from God. God is good, and He cannot be anything else. Furthermore, He isn't one way one time and another way another time. He doesn't change. He is good, and that's the way He is.

It's obvious that God doesn't always stop tragedy, and we honestly don't always know why bad things happen. First Corinthians 13:12 says, "...Now I know in part (imperfectly)...." We have to remember that faith will always require us to accept unanswered questions, and we must come to the place where we're satisfied to know the One who knows and place our trust in Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I may not always understand why bad things happen, but I know that You are good. When I don't understand why, I will find my comfort in You.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Why You Need to Read the Bible

Let them not depart from thine eyes;
Keep them in the midst of thine heart.
For they are life unto those that find them,
And health to all their flesh.
Proverbs 4:21-22

The Bible is no ordinary book. The words within its pages are like medicine to your soul. It has the power to change your life because there is life in the Word!

When you discover the power and truth of God's Word, you will begin to see changes in your life that only this truth can bring. You will also learn how to recognize the lies that the enemy tries to bring against you.

If you are just starting to study the Bible or feel intimidated by it, don't think you have to read it all at once or understand everything right away. Be patient with yourself. The important thing is that you start somewhere and stay determined to stick with it. Because every time you study the Bible and pay attention to what you're reading, you're learning something.

Proverbs 4:20 says, "My son attend to my words., " This is important to understand because attending is more than just reading - it means to meditate on the Scripture or roll it around over and over in your mind.

As we spend time reading and meditating on the Word of God and learn to agree with it above all else, we will be filled with the life and healing power of God.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You so much for the life-giving power of Your Word! As I read and study it, teach me what You want me to know and bring Your healing power into my life.

Why Does a Good God Let Bad Things Happen?

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

When we experience terrible tragedy, being angry with God is quite common. People frequently ask, "If God is good, all-powerful, and full of love for us, why didn't He stop the thing that caused the pain?"

This is where Satan seeks to build a wall between God and the hurting person. He seizes the opportunity to say, "God isn't good, and He can't be trusted." However, we know according to the Word of God, the truth is not in Satan, he is a liar and the father of lies.

Read James 1:17. Everything good comes from God. God is good, and He cannot be anything else. Furthermore, He isn't one way one time and another way another time. He doesn't change. He is good, and that's the way He is.

It's obvious that God doesn't always stop tragedy, and we honestly don't always know why bad things happen. First Corinthians 13:12 says, "...Now I know in part (imperfectly)...." We have to remember that faith will always require us to accept unanswered questions, and we must come to the place where we're satisfied to know the One who knows and place our trust in Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I may not always understand why bad things happen, but I know that You are good. When I don't understand why, I will find my comfort in You.

this is not His world...

this is esau's clown show.

It's OK to Enjoy Your Life

There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24

Enjoyment is the fuel we need to reach the finish line of an endeavor with a good attitude. We may drive ourselves to finish, but somewhere along the way we will probably become bitter and get a chip on our shoulder if we don't lighten up and take time to celebrate the journey.

Too many people work constantly and stress themselves out, feeling guilty about enjoying and celebrating life when God has clearly ordained and commanded both labor and enjoyment. Ecclesiastes 2:24 says that it's good for us to relax and enjoy ourselves in the midst of hard work.

Our thinking has been warped in this area. Satan has managed to deceive us, and by doing so he succeeds in keeping people weary and worn-out, feeling resentful and taken advantage of because of excessive work and responsibility.

We need times of refreshment and recreation as well as work and accomplishment. You should be diligent in whatever task God has placed in front of you, but make sure that you find a balance by learning to reward yourself and enjoy life. God thinks you are worth it!

Prayer Starter: God, I realize now that You want me to enjoy my life and reward myself. Instead of feeling guilty and never stopping for a break, I choose today to experience the joy that You planned for me.

Why You Need to Read the Bible

Let them not depart from thine eyes;
Keep them in the midst of thine heart.
For they are life unto those that find them,
And health to all their flesh.
Proverbs 4:21-22

The Bible is no ordinary book. The words within its pages are like medicine to your soul. It has the power to change your life because there is life in the Word!

When you discover the power and truth of God's Word, you will begin to see changes in your life that only this truth can bring. You will also learn how to recognize the lies that the enemy tries to bring against you.

If you are just starting to study the Bible or feel intimidated by it, don't think you have to read it all at once or understand everything right away. Be patient with yourself. The important thing is that you start somewhere and stay determined to stick with it. Because every time you study the Bible and pay attention to what you're reading, you're learning something.

Proverbs 4:20 says, "My son attend to my words., " This is important to understand because attending is more than just reading - it means to meditate on the Scripture or roll it around over and over in your mind.

As we spend time reading and meditating on the Word of God and learn to agree with it above all else, we will be filled with the life and healing power of God.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You so much for the life-giving power of Your Word! As I read and study it, teach me what You want me to know and bring Your healing power into my life.

Amen

Think About What You're Thinking About

And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. Mark 4:24

If you're a believer, you probably think some Scripture-based thoughts throughout each day, but think about this: Are you mixing them with negative thoughts or just any random thoughts that come into your mind?

For most of my life, I simply thought whatever fell into my head. Much of what was in my head was either lies Satan was telling me or just plain nonsense.

Read Mark 4:24. It tells us the more time we spend thinking about the Word, the more power and ability we will have to walk in it. It also says the more we read and listen to the Word, the more revelation we will receive to understand it.

In the flesh we are lazy and want to receive from God without any effort on our own part, but that's not the way it works. You will only get out of the Word what you are willing to put into it.

I encourage you to make a decision to meditate on God's Word every day because every moment you spend absorbing it, the more virtue and knowledge you will receive from God.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I make a decision to spend more time in Your Word every day. I know that when I do, I will get more out of it and receive more powerful revelation from You.

The Greatest Gift You Can Give

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Luke 6:36

It's the most outrageous thing. The more I think about it, the more amazed I am. It gives blessings that are undeserved and withholds punishment when it is deserved. It's absolutely the greatest gift you can give someone.

This gift is called mercy. See, Jesus came to earth and gave us mercy, so we need to learn to give mercy to others.

By Christ's example, we're taught to love and pray for our enemies. We're taught to be friendly to those who do not treat us as we would like to be treated. We are told to give to and care for the poor and helpless who will never be able to pay us back.

We can give to people who will give us gifts in return. But we're more blessed when we choose to give to those who cannot pay us back, that's giving mercy.

The greatest gift you can give God is to become more like Jesus. You can do that by treating others the way He treated you. Give those around you the greatest gift they could ever receive from you: mercy.

Prayer Starter: God, I thank You for the mercy that You selflessly give me every day. I choose now to give that mercy to others. Every chance I get, I will show them the mercy that You have shown me.

Say What God Says

This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Joshua 1:8

God tells us that the more time we spend meditating on and speaking His Word, the more we will see the benefits in our everyday lives and even have a closer relationship with Him. He even promises we'll be prosperous and successful!

I can testify to this because I have made it through many trials and even devastating times by believing and confessing the Word of God over my life.

There's something powerful that happens when we speak His Word out loud. It's the way we learn to purposely think right thoughts, especially when we make the Scriptures personal confessions of faith.

It's great to read the Word and receive it in your heart, but when you confess it out loud, you actively interact with what God says and release its power into your life.

I encourage you to spend time reading and meditating on God's Word, lining your thoughts up with it. But I also urge you to speak the Word. You can make up your mind to work toward changing your life by saying what God says. Read His Word and speak it over your circumstances today.

Prayer Starter: God, I want to release the full power of Your Word into my life. Along with reading and thinking about Your Word, I choose today to speak it over my life.

God Is Untying Your Knots One at a Time

And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 2 Thessalonians 3:5

Picture your life as a jumble of shoestrings all tied up in knots, each shoestring a different color. Each knot represents a problem, and the process of untangling those knots and straightening out those problems is going to take a bit of time and effort. It took a long time to tie all those knots, and it will take some time to straighten them all out.

In our modern, instantaneous society, we tend to jump from one thing to another, but God never gets in a hurry. He never quits or runs out of patience. He will deal with us about one particular thing, and then He will let us rest for a while, but not too long. Soon He will come back and begin to work on something else. He will continue until, one by one, our knots are all untied.

If it sometimes seems that you're not making any progress, it's because the Lord is untying your knots one at a time. Let His patience develop in you, and sooner or later, you will see victory in your life and experience the freedom you have wanted for so long.

Prayer Starter: God, I'm so glad that You can work out all of my knots and get my life straightened out. Help me to develop steadfastness and patience as You work continually in my life.

How Forgiveness and Patience Can Help Your Marriage

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. 1 Timothy 1:16

Marriages are not as good as they could be when someone holds on to offenses and hurts that their spouse has caused. I know it's difficult to completely open yourself up after being hurt, but nobody can promise that loving someone won't hurt. In fact, you can't love without being willing to be hurt. It's not possible.

You can't have real love unless you're willing to forgive. Love keeps giving the other person another chance. Love keeps trusting them over and over again, expecting them to do the right thing the next time, believing the best of them.

I realize there might be big hurts in your marriage, along with little things you deal with daily. Still, you need to decide to let go of its irritating hold on you.

If you're struggling with unforgiveness in your marriage, ask the Lord to reveal what has caused you to feel bitterness or resentment. You may be surprised at what He reveals to you, but when you see the truth, decide to let go of that grief. Decide to forgive your spouse and walk in patience as you treat them with God's amazing, unconditional love.

Prayer Starter: God, I want my marriage to be the best it can be. Help me let go of any areas of unforgiveness and to patiently love my spouse the way You want me to.

How Forgiveness and Patience Can Help Your Marriage

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. 1 Timothy 1:16

Marriages are not as good as they could be when someone holds on to offenses and hurts that their spouse has caused. I know it's difficult to completely open yourself up after being hurt, but nobody can promise that loving someone won't hurt. In fact, you can't love without being willing to be hurt. It's not possible.

You can't have real love unless you're willing to forgive. Love keeps giving the other person another chance. Love keeps trusting them over and over again, expecting them to do the right thing the next time, believing the best of them.

I realize there might be big hurts in your marriage, along with little things you deal with daily. Still, you need to decide to let go of its irritating hold on you.

If you're struggling with unforgiveness in your marriage, ask the Lord to reveal what has caused you to feel bitterness or resentment. You may be surprised at what He reveals to you, but when you see the truth, decide to let go of that grief. Decide to forgive your spouse and walk in patience as you treat them with God's amazing, unconditional love.

Prayer Starter: God, I want my marriage to be the best it can be. Help me let go of any areas of unforgiveness and to patiently love my spouse the way You want me to.

Amen

Find the Answers and Power You Need in the Word

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

When people ask me where to start reading the Bible, I tell them there's really no wrong place to start. You can study anything that's going to help you.

When I first started studying the Word, I didn't have very good relationships because I didn't really understand what love was. So that's what I studied.

As I studied the subject of love, I learned that it's more than a gooey feeling. It's a decision you make about how you're going to treat people.

By studying what the Bible says about love, I learned how to love. Then my life began to change.

Whatever you're dealing with, you can find scriptures about it by using a concordance. For example, if you're dealing with anger or fear, flip to the concordance in the back of your Bible and locate those words to see which scriptures talk about those issues.

If you can't think of anything right away, thumb through the concordance and pick a subject that grabs your attention. Begin looking at all scriptures referenced with this word and read them. Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you and reveal truth to you.
No matter where you start, remember that the Word is alive and has something for you today!

Prayer Starter: Lord, I know that Your Word has something for me today. No matter what I'm dealing with, I'm going to find out what Your Word says about it.

Dealing with Emotions While Grieving

Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
And why art thou disquieted in me?
Hope thou in God:
For I shall yet praise him For the help of his countenance. Ps. 42:5

People experiencing tragedy often go through stages of emotional expressions of sobbing and hysteria. These may come and go when least expected. Confusion, disorientation and fear are also common. Depression and waves of overwhelming feelings are experienced by many. In times like these, I believe it's wise to look at King David.

The Bible talks of how King David was feeling depressed but he resisted it. He didn't sink into it or get into the pit of despair. He described how he felt, but he made a decision not to live by his feelings. He praised and trusted in God.

Most of us go through emotionally difficult times when tragic loss occurs. Those who are walking in faith come out of it, and they come out of it better than when they went in.

If you are hurting right now due to a loss in your life, I want to tell you that a new beginning is in front of you. Trust and praise God like David did. What Satan intends for your harm, God can turn around for your good!

Prayer Starter: Lord, even when I'm grieving and depressed, I will choose to praise and trust in You. I believe that You can and will make everything work out for my good.

Every Day Is a New Day

This is the day which the LORD hath made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

God wants us to have joy in the midst of our ordinary, everyday life, even on the worst days of our life.

There were times in my life when I dreaded facing each day. All I could think about was my circumstances, wondering how Dave and I were going to pay the bills or get everything done that we needed to do. Sometimes I wanted to pull the covers over my head and just stay in bed.

I was so wrapped up in worry that I was missing the point: God had created a new day, and He created it so that I could enjoy it.

Every single day is filled with all kinds of situations that could upset you, things like losing your car keys or getting caught in a traffic jam. But you can choose to be at peace and in control in the midst of them.

When you and I take our minds off of ourselves and our circumstances and put our focus on God and loving others, we are embracing an attitude that will bring honor to Him and enable us to view every day as an exciting, new gift from God.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for the gift of a new day. Instead of focusing on the frustrating things in life, I choose to be at peace in You and rejoice and be glad in it!

The Best Way to Deal with Money

He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack:
But he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse. Proverbs 28:27

I've discovered the best way to deal with money is to give it away. And we need to keep on giving, especially during challenging financial times. This is a key factor in helping us to maintain a biblical focus on our finances.

It's always possible to live by God's financial principles, even in difficult times. You might find yourself in what seems like an impossible financial situation and feel like you're in no position to give, but don't let that stop you. God will help you when you simply work with what you have.

Luke 19:17 tells us that God is pleased when we are faithful and trustworthy in very little things. When we are, it says He will give us authority over bigger things.

Proverbs 28:27 says, "He who gives to the poor will not want., " If we obey God with our finances, even when we don't have much, and give to help other people, the more God will have other people do for us. It's just that simple. Choose to be a giver today, and you will not lack anything.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose today to give my finances to You. Even in hard times, I know that Your financial principles still apply and that You will take care of me. You are my source!

When Good Things Happen to People Who Have Hurt You

that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:45

Have you ever seen someone receive a blessing from God and felt like they didn't deserve it? Have you seen good things happen to someone who has hurt you?

When a person who offended you gets a blessing, it can grate on you, at least it did for me until I learned how to forgive.
The Bible says that good and bad things happen to both the righteous and the unrighteous. When someone who's hurt you receives a blessing, it makes it even harder to forgive them, but you are still called to pray for them.

I want to encourage you today to bless the people who have hurt you by praying for them, even though you may feel hurt and irritated by them. When you pray for people who have hurt you, it's a choice you make. And forgiveness is based on your decision - not a feeling. But there's healing in that for you.

A forgiving lifestyle helps you become more like Christ. As you learn the importance of forgiveness and begin to pray for blessings for those who have hurt you, your heart will heal from bitterness, and your personal growth will lead you to the blessings God has planned for you.

Prayer Starter: God, it might be hard, but I know I need to pray for and bless those who have hurt me. I realize that forgiveness is a choice, so I ask you to help me as I choose to forgive.

When Good Things Happen to People Who Have Hurt You

that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:45

Have you ever seen someone receive a blessing from God and felt like they didn't deserve it? Have you seen good things happen to someone who has hurt you?

When a person who offended you gets a blessing, it can grate on you, at least it did for me until I learned how to forgive.
The Bible says that good and bad things happen to both the righteous and the unrighteous. When someone who's hurt you receives a blessing, it makes it even harder to forgive them, but you are still called to pray for them.

I want to encourage you today to bless the people who have hurt you by praying for them, even though you may feel hurt and irritated by them. When you pray for people who have hurt you, it's a choice you make. And forgiveness is based on your decision - not a feeling. But there's healing in that for you.

A forgiving lifestyle helps you become more like Christ. As you learn the importance of forgiveness and begin to pray for blessings for those who have hurt you, your heart will heal from bitterness, and your personal growth will lead you to the blessings God has planned for you.

Prayer Starter: God, it might be hard, but I know I need to pray for and bless those who have hurt me. I realize that forgiveness is a choice, so I ask you to help me as I choose to forgive.

Amen that is how we reflect the character of Christ to others. :)

Don't Let Yourself Snap

Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy:
For thou renderest to every man according to his work. Psalm 62:12

Let's say you're working around the house and break a rubber band while trying to stretch it around something. You can't find another rubber band, so you try to fix the broken one by tying the ends together.

Sometimes in our daily lives, we stretch ourselves beyond our capacity, and we snap like the rubber band. We think we've fixed the problem by simply tying the ends back together. But soon we fall into the same behavior that caused us to break down in the first place.

Over time with repeated exposure to stress, our lives begin to resemble that worn-out rubber band. It can completely deplete us.
Ignoring God's laws and His ordained limits for our lives will ultimately cause burnout. You simply can't continue to overwork your mind, emotions and body without eventually paying the price. But that's not how God wants you to live.

Adjust your perspective to match God's. Seek His peace and His pace for your life. Respect your body. Treat good health as a priceless gift. Don't waste the energy God has given you on stress. Save it for living and enjoying life!

Prayer Starter: God, I want to find my rest in You. Instead of constantly going and snapping under stress, show me how to follow Your pace for my life.

Back
Top Bottom