Promises for Your Everyday Life

It was a woman that gave birth to our Savior The Lord Jesus Christ. In the same way that you're 93 old mother gave birth to you. Tell her happy birthday for me.

What Do We Do?

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

In the world we live in, we are going to have all kinds of problems, frustrations and difficulties. That's just life. So knowing this, what do we do? We must remain steadfast and persevere. In other words, the answer is never give up! No matter what's going on in our lives, the victory is in refusing to quit. Keep in mind that in the heat of our struggles, the Holy Spirit is probably doing His greatest work within us. He is not moved by the circumstances. If you and I really trust Him, we shouldn't be either! He's not in our lives for good times only, but for the difficult times as well.

He will lead us through anything if we'll just hang in there and follow Him. This means being diligent in prayer, relentless in our resolve, unwavering in faith, and determined to stand firmly on God's Word and His promises to us. So many times we can be sidetracked by how slowly things seem to be going. In fact, the enemy loves to point that out! But remember, that's when God may be doing some of His greatest work. You see, it's not all about you and me.

The Lord's work in us is preparation for the work He wants to do through us! I know life can be hard sometimes. But I also know that God will help us if we remain steadfast. Let's stand on Galatians 6:9: "So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up" (NLT). So let me ask that question again: What do we do? My answer is, never give up! What's your answer?

Prayer Starter: God, I believe that You are at work in my life, even during difficult times. I choose today to remain steadfast and to never give up in obedience to You.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Boundaries Have a Purpose!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5–6

Exercising self-control and self-discipline, and establishing boundaries and borders in our life are some of the most important things we can do. A life that has no discipline is one that's filled with carelessness. The Word of God establishes the necessary boundaries to keep us in God's safety zone. It tells us what we can do, and what we better not do, to be safe.

As Christians we can think it's kind of exciting to live life on the edge. We like the image of "Yeah! That's me! Living on the edge!" It's become a popular way of looking at life. But to be honest, God doesn't want us living on the edge, because if we're living on the edge, then we have no margin for error. Highways have lines, one on each side and one in the center. These lines provide margins for our safety while we're driving.

If we go over the line on one side, we'll go into the ditch. If we cross over the line in the middle, we could get killed. We like those lines because they help keep us safe. It's like that in our personal lives, too. When we have boundaries, borders, and margins, we feel much better and experience God's peace. The key is to go to God's Word, where He has laid out all the boundaries we need to live by. Let God direct your path every day.

Prayer Starter: God, I recognize the need for boundaries in my life. As I read Your Word, show me how to apply Your healthy boundaries in my life today.

A Sustainable Life

He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
Psalm 23:2

Are you living a sustainable life? Maybe you've caught yourself saying things like, "I can't do this much longer. I just can't keep this up forever." When you make comments like these, what you're really saying is, "I know I have limits and that I've reached them, but I'm going to ignore them and see how long I can get by with it."

Our body gives us warnings when we're pushing too hard, like an ache here or a pain there. But we think, "I'll be all right," and we ignore the warnings until we're too sick to ignore them. I'm not proud of this, but for the first twenty years of my ministry, I felt physically terrible a lot of the time. I ran to doctors and tried all kinds of pills and vitamins. The doctors tried to tell me that I was simply pushing myself too hard, but I ignored them.

I kept pushing myself to do all the traveling, speaking engagements, meetings, and so on, simply exhausting myself. Finally, I realized that we can't ignore God's direction to take time to rest and not pay a price for it. So I made some changes and now I feel better than I ever have. If you are living an unsustainable life, stop putting off making the changes you need to make. Don't wait until something happens, like a nervous breakdown or a heart problem. Make changes now to live the kind of life God wants you to live.

When you live God's way, I can guarantee you'll discover an overwhelming new level of peace in your life.

Prayer Starter: Lord, show me the unsustainable areas of my life. I submit them to You. Lead me into Your rest and peace today, so that I can enjoy my life and serve You for years to come.

When It's OK To Say "No"

Did I give birth to them? Did I bring them into the world? Why did you tell me to carry them in my arms like a mother carries a nursing baby? How can I carry them to the land you swore to give their ancestors? Numbers 11:12

In Numbers 11, Moses gives us an example of what we can do when we're under stress. Talk about pressure, he was leading the Israelites through the wilderness on what should have been an eleven-day trip and instead ended up taking forty years! The people were depressed and weeping over their situation.

In verse 14, Moses tells God, "I am not able to carry all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me." Like Moses, it's okay for us to say, "I've reached my limit." Yes, scripture says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13 NKJV), but that's really referring to times when we face various trials and situations that God will help us through. It doesn't mean we should take on so many responsibilities that we completely burn out, like the woman who is raising five kids, works full-time, serves on the church board, etc.

Sometimes, it's all just too much...and it's okay to admit that. It's also okay to say "no" to some things so you can really enjoy life the way God intended. Here's a newsflash: You and I don't have to be like everyone else or keep up with anyone else. God created some people to handle large amounts of work, but many people aren't made this way.

Each of us needs to be who God created us to be, and we don't have to apologize for it. We each need to individually find the balance of responsibility God has established for us to live in so we can enjoy our life, instead of making ourselves sick with an overload of stress and pressure. When you reach your limit, go to God, just like Moses did. He will help you find a saner, healthier lifestyle.

Prayer Starter: God, sometimes it's hard for me to slow down and say no to more responsibility. Help me to live with the balance of responsibility You created for me, so I can live with Your peace and enjoy life.

Free to Be Relentless

I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, Philippians 3:10

Relentlessly pursuing God is not necessarily easy, but it's definitely worth it. However, you can't really pursue God until you've first experienced real freedom. God is in the business of setting us free, and it's glorious to be free from guilt, condemnation, and always wondering what people are thinking of us. We're set free from the concern of failing when we know who we are in Christ.

This brings us the courage to be able to step out and pursue God's promises. One of the greatest freedoms God has given me is the freedom to be me. For years I tried to be something I wasn't, feeling like I needed to be like this or like that, all the while knowing I wasn't like everyone else. Yet, I kept trying to be like others until I learned through my relationship with God who He created me to be. This also set me free from me, so I can focus on Jesus and reaching out to others the way He wants me to.

Philippians 3 says Paul was determined, or relentless, to have the things that Christ Jesus died for, to know Him and the power of His resurrection. I believe when we are born again, there is a spirit of determination that rises within us. We can call it Holy Spirit passion or zeal, and it's what gives us the 'oomph' we need during hard times to say, 'I will not give up on having an intimate, passionate, deep, personal relationship with God. I will not give up on being all that Christ wants me to be.'

Be relentless to stay in faith and receive God's promises. Remember, you belong to Him and He's given you a relentless spirit!

Prayer Starter: God, I want to live a new life, relentlessly pursuing You and Your promises. I trust You to help me become all You created me to be and experience true freedom.

The Importance of Finishing

I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. John 17:4

Several years ago I read a verse that caused me to weep before the Lord. In John 17:4, Jesus says, "I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do." This is saying that following God means finishing what He's called us to do. Ever since reading that verse, it's become very important to me that I not just do what God has called me to do, but that I finish what He's called me to do.

There are a lot of people who step out and begin a journey with God, but I don't think there are nearly as many who finish it. The apostle Paul said, '...If only I may finish my course with joy...' (Acts 20:24). I'm determined to finish God's call for me and enjoy every minute of it! That's what I want for you, too, to enjoy every single day of your life and finish what God's called you to do. But most of this is up to us. It's not all up to God.

He has done His part and given us everything we need in Christ. It's up to us to keep learning, growing, and letting the Spirit of God work in us. Take time to consider the things that God has called you to do and ask yourself, "What am I doing today to finish strong what God has set before me?" God has great plans for you. Receive them by faith and go after them with all your heart. Today, I want you to make a commitment to finish strong. It's a commitment I know God will honor.

Prayer Starter: God, like Jesus, I want to be able to say that I have completed the work You have for me. Thank You for working in me to give me the power and the desire to live for Your pleasure and finish my course with joy!

Throwing Fear Outdoors

Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. 1st John 4:18

I want to talk to you about a four-letter word: FEAR! Many of us can probably remember when we were kids, if we said a bad word, our mama threatened to wash our mouth out with soap. Well, if "fear" is a dirty, four-letter word, then faith in God's love is the soap! I'm not talking about wimpy faith. I'm talking about a powerful faith in God's unconditional, unlimited, unwavering, perfect love for us.

First John 4:18 teaches that understanding God's love for us will deliver us from our fears. Now this doesn't mean we won't ever feel fear, but faith in God and His love will enable us to 'do it afraid' if we have to. God wants you to know that He is with you. He will lead and guide you, so you can put your confidence and faith in Him! Remember, His love is perfect, even when we aren't.

He isn't going to love us any more or less because of our mistakes. Isn't it good to know that God loves you right where you are? Doesn't that thought just kind of boost your faith and take your fear down a notch? You and I are going to feel afraid now and then. When we do, we can get our focus back on God and know that He will lead us through any situation we face.

It's the perfect love of God, not perfect us, that casts out fear every single time.

Prayer Starter: God, only Your love can cast out my fear, so I put my faith in You. I know that Your presence is with me and that You will lead me through any fearful situation I face. I receive Your love.

Finding the Fun

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
Proverbs 17:22

Want to hear a funny story? I've got a lot of them, and they come from things that happened in my ordinary, everyday life. Now, I wasn't laughing when those stories were in the making, but I'm glad I can laugh about them now. For example, I didn't think it was funny when I couldn't get my hair to stay in place, but if you'd seen what I did about it, you certainly would have laughed.

It wasn't amusing when I tried to make clothes, especially for the people who had to wear them. And I was so irritated when Dave threw paper towels over the grocery store aisle at me, but I realize now, he just knew how to have a little fun no matter what he was doing. I'm glad I've learned to look at times like these and see the humor in them. Now I know that not everything in life is necessarily enjoyable, but I think we all need to learn to have more fun in our lives.

And I bet if you took time to think about it every day, you could find a moment that brought you joy or you can laugh about now. God wants His children to have some fun. The Bible says a merry heart does good like medicine. I think we all need a healthy dose of laughter every day - many times during the day.

You just can't overdose on joy! I encourage you to deliberately look for something to smile or laugh about every day, and be sure to share a smile or a laugh with someone else and brighten their day too!

Prayer Starter: Lord, Your Word says that a cheerful heart is like good medicine. Thank You for helping me to find the joy and fun in life!

Living a Life of Blessing

So then, while we [as individual believers] have the opportunity, let us do good to all people [not only being helpful, but also doing that which promotes their spiritual well-being], and especially [be a blessing] to those of the household of faith (born-again believers). Galatians 6:10

I believe that one of the greatest opportunities we have as Christians is to make a profound difference in the lives of others. Throughout my life of ministry, God has given me the opportunity to help many people who need guidance. But I don't believe this is a special opportunity that God made just for me. Everyone, you included, has the ability to influence someone. When you take the time to reach out to others and invest in someone's life, you are impacting the world...yours and theirs.

Galatians 6:10 tells us to "be mindful to be a blessing" to everyone God brings across our path. We are called to be a blessing and build up others in their faith, to not be afraid to reach out and to speak the truth in love. I don't believe God wants us to be mere spectators in life.

He wants us to be people who really love others and care enough to be willing to pour into their lives. We need to build up others in Jesus' name so they can grow and reach even more people. Whether you know it or not, someone's watching and looking up to you. People are influenced by the way you live and they need to see God's love in your everyday actions.

At times we'll make mistakes, and when we do we can thank God for His forgiveness, but we also have to realize that many times we may be the only evidence of God some people see.

Prayer Starter: God, every day there is another opportunity that You have given me to reach out, bless and influence someone else with Your love. I want to live a life of blessing toward others, showing them what it means to live a God-focused life.

DISCERNMENT IS THE KEY TO A CLEAR CONSCIENCE​

Therefore I always exercise and discipline myself [mortifying my body, deadening my carnal affections, bodily appetites, and worldly desires, endeavoring in all respects] to have a clear (unshaken, blameless) conscience, void of offense toward God and toward men. Acts 24:16.

It’s critical to keep your conscience clear because nothing will keep you from enjoying life as much as guilt. In Acts, Paul said that he pursued discipline and avoided worldly desires so that he could walk blameless and guilt-free before God.

The same applies to us. Walking in the confidence of a clear conscience will keep us free and happy. That sounds easy when it comes to clear-cut, right and wrong issues, but what about the ‘gray’ areas of life? How do we keep our conscience clear when we’re unsure what the right or wrong choice is?
What if we accidentally sin without realizing it? I’ve found that God’s discernment solves this problem. Discernment is spiritual understanding, and it’s the key to living with a clear conscience. It takes practice, but it simply involves paying attention to your heart.

God will let you know when you shouldn’t do something that will bring guilt later on. I encourage you to live in a way that will keep your conscience clear. Don’t do things you know you shouldn’t, and rely on God’s discernment when you’re facing an issue you’re not sure about. He will never lead you wrong.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for Your discernment. Help me to pay attention to Your still, small voice speaking to my heart so I can live in a way that will keep my conscience free and clear before You.

DO YOUR BEST!​

so that you may learn to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences], and that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ [actually living lives that lead others away from sin]; Philippians 1:10

God is excellent. As His representatives, we should be too. So it’s important that we do our best in everything that we put our hands to. We must be motivated to do our very best in whatever we set out to accomplish.

Paul urges us to “learn to…prize what is excellent and of real value.”
As we make excellence a way of life, we will sense God’s joy and be good examples to the world. You must sow excellence in order to reap an excellent harvest. We can’t expect excellent results in life when we don’t live a life of excellence. The Bible teaches us to develop diligence, steadfastness and determination, all of which will help us live lives of excellence.

So I encourage you to do your best with any project or activity that God places in your path. Be diligent. Don’t leave things undone, but finish what you start to the best of your ability. Set your mind to be steadfast and determined. Commit yourself to excellent results. God honors an attitude of excellence. Choose to do your best, and He will always work alongside you.

Prayer Starter: God, I want to live a life of excellence. Strengthen me and help me to do my best in every situation with steadfastness, diligence and determination.

BE GENEROUS AND CHEERFUL​

Let each one give [thoughtfully and with purpose] just as he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver [and delights in the one whose heart is in his gift]. 2 Corinthians 9:7

As Christians, we should be generous people, giving whatever we can whenever we can. And that doesn’t just mean money, we can give help, encouragement, time, talents and forgiveness. This means we can’t let selfishness get in the way. A lot of people are stingy, clinging to what they have and afraid to give it up.

Others aren’t stingy in their actions, but they are stingy in their hearts, giving because they feel obligated, not because they really want to. But this isn’t the way God calls us to give. Second Corinthians 9:7 tells us, “God loves (He takes pleasure in, prizes above other things, and is unwilling to abandon or to do without) a cheerful (joyous, ‘prompt to do it’) giver [whose heart is in his giving].”

If you think about it, when we give our lives to God, everything we have is His anyway, it no longer belongs to us. We should be givers, using our resources the way He wants us to. Give cheerfully today. It pleases God, and those who give cheerfully are happy, fulfilled, and highly effective.

Prayer Starter: God, I make up my mind and purpose in my heart right now to be a cheerful giver. Show me how I can generously give to You and the people in my life today.

ARE YOU HOPEFUL?​

NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses]. Hebrews 11:1

When you think about the future, are you hopeful? Or do you struggle with a sense of dread? People who have seen God’s faithfulness in the past tend to be very hopeful about the future. They know a bad situation can turn into a wonderful testimony in a matter of minutes.

On the other hand, people who have lost all hope view life from the perspective of dread. A close cousin to fear, dread steals the ability to enjoy ordinary life and makes people anxious about the future. Hope is the opposite of dread, and a close relative of faith. When we have faith in God, it leads to hope, and our outlook on life and the future is positive. Hope allows us to leave our unanswered questions in God’s hands; it empowers us to remain at peace, and it enables us to believe the best about the days to come.

You can have hope when you trust in God’s love. He has the power to provide for you and lead you through every situation.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose to put my faith in You, knowing that it will turn into hope. I don’t have to dread, because You have the ability to care for me, so I put my hope in You.

Don't Give in to Self-Pity

For I know the thoughts andplans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts andplans for welfare andpeace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. Jeremiah 29:11

Self-pity is a destructive and negative emotion. It blinds us to our blessings and the possibilities before us and it steals our hope for both today and tomorrow. People who pity themselves think, "Why should I try to do anything? I'll just fail." Self-pity is actually idolatry because it is self-focus carried to the extreme.

When we allow ourselves to fall into self-pity, we are essentially rejecting God's love and His ability to change things. I encourage you not to waste one more day of your life in self-pity.

When you lose hope and begin to feel sorry for yourself, stop and say: 'I refuse to feel sorry for myself. I may be in a difficult season of life right now, but I will not stop hoping for better things!' God has thoughts and plans for your good, to give you hope for your future. If you will hold on to your hope and fight for it when the enemy tries to take it away, you will see amazing things take place in your life.

Prayer Starter: God, I refuse to feel sorry for myself. Even if things are difficult right now, I know that You are bigger than my problems and that You have a good future planned for me. I want Your plans to come to pass in my life, and I trust in You to change my circumstances according to Your will.

Making Tough Decisions

For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning. Hebrews 4:15

It's important to make the right choices, especially in the middle of hurt, discouragement, frustration and confusion when the right choice is the tough choice to make. When things are stressful, we naturally like to take the path of least resistance. But those are the very moments when you need to make the tougher choice. Because to reap right results in life, you have to do right when you don't feel like it.

What's amazing to me is that Jesus knows what we feel like. When He became a human being, He struggled with all of the frustrations we struggle with. He felt like giving up and taking the easy way, but He overcame and made the tough choices. When we grow weary and falter in our determination, we can know with confidence that we serve a God who knows what we're going through.

And we don't have to make tough decisions on our own. When you find yourself stressed-out and beat down, on the verge of giving up, remember that God is with you and He understands. Find the strength to make the tough choices in Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I'm so glad and so thankful that You understand everything I go through and struggle with. When I am tempted to take the path of least resistance, I will find my strength in You to make the tough choices.

The Greater the Opposition, the Greater the Opportunity

For a wide door of opportunity for effectual [service] has opened to me [there, a great and promising one], and [there are] many adversaries.
1 Corinthians 16:9

Every time God puts a fresh new idea in our hearts or gives us a dream, vision or new challenge for our lives, the enemy will be there to oppose us. God constantly calls us to new levels. Some seem big and important; others seem relatively small or insignificant.

Whatever the case, when we reach a new level with God, we will face a new level of opposition from our enemy, the devil. Along with opposition, however, comes opportunity, but God is always with us, and we have no need to fear. Some things may seem too great for us, but nothing is impossible with God.

He is not surprised or frightened by anything, and with Him, we can accomplish any challenge set before us. If you are determined to reach the new levels God is calling you to, then don't give up in the face of opposition. Instead, realize that the greater the opposition, the greater the opportunity in front of you. Be courageous, and draw boldness and courage from the Holy Spirit, for He is always with you.

Prayer Starter: God, don't let me falter in the face of opposition. I know that You have great plans for me and great opposition only means a greater opportunity. I trust You and I know that You can take me to new levels.

Growing in Discernment

2 And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him–the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the reverential andobedient fear of the Lord–
3 And shall make Him of quick understanding, andHis delight shall be in the reverential andobedient fear of the Lord. And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, neither decide by the hearing of His ears;
Isaiah 11:2-3

Jesus lived His life by discernment. His discernment was not based on the superficial senses of His flesh, it was the result of His intimate communion and relationship with His Father God. This same gift of discernment is available to you and me through our relationship with God. So how does it work? Before you do anything, you must quickly check with your spirit to see if the thing you are about to do is OK.

If you have peace, then proceed. But if you are uncomfortable, confused or frustrated, remain still. For instance, at times I've been at the mall getting ready to purchase something, but before I reached the checkout counter, I sensed a frustration in my spirit, which was like a nudge from the Holy Spirit not to make the purchase.

The exciting thing about moments like these is every time you and I choose to listen to and follow the Holy Spirit's promptings, our spirits grow stronger in God, and more and more of God's power is released in our lives to operate in the fruit of the Spirit. Yield to the Holy Spirit and follow His promptings, and you will grow in the same discernment that Jesus walked in.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to make decisions based on my own fleshly desires. I want to walk in discernment. As I check with You when I'm making decisions, frustrate the desires I have that are not of You, and give me peace to follow Your way.

Trusting God Through Emotional Trials

Saying, Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but [always] Yours be done. Luke 22:42

Growing into a mature Christian who follows the Holy Spirit is not something that happens overnight, it is a learning process that takes time. Little by little, one experience after another, God tries and tests our emotions, giving us opportunities to grow. God allows us to go through difficult situations that stir up our emotions.

In this way, you and I are able to see for ourselves how emotionally unstable we can be and how desperately we need His help.

Jesus exemplified this for us. The night before He died for our sins, He was in great emotional turmoil. He didn't want to die, but He moved past His emotions and prayed to God, "Not my will, but Yours be done." Things certainly didn't get better immediately, but in the end Jesus emerged victorious through the greatest trial possible.

You can make it through your emotional trials. Jesus wasn't led by His feelings, and you don't have to be either. When God lets things affect you emotionally, seize the moment and view it as an opportunity to step into a place of absolute trust in God.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I know that I can trust in You when emotional trials come my way. With Jesus as my example, I say, "Not my will, but Yours be done." You know what's best for me and I trust You completely.

Back
Top Bottom