Promises for Your Everyday Life

Show Mercy to Your Enemies

You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy;
But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
Matthew 5:43-44

I love the movie "El Cid," the story of the man who united Spain and became a great hero. For centuries the Christians had fought the Moors. They hated and killed each other. In battle, El Cid captured five Moors but refused to kill them because he realized that killing had never done any good.

He believed that showing mercy to his enemies would change their hearts and then both groups could live in peace. One of the Moors he captured said, 'Anyone can kill, but only a true king can show mercy to his enemies.' Because of El Cid's one act of kindness, his enemies offered themselves to him as friends and allies from that point on.

Jesus is a true king, and He is good, kind and merciful to all, even those who hate Him. Can we do any less than follow His example? Right now, can you think of anyone to whom you could show mercy? Being merciful and good, especially to your enemies, may be one of the most powerful things you have ever done.

Prayer Starter: God, it's not easy, but like Jesus and El Cid, I want to be the kind of person who shows mercy to all, even my enemies. By Your grace, I choose now to live a life of mercy.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Stir Each Other Up

And let us consider andgive attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love andhelpful deeds andnoble activities, Hebrews 10:24

I have three friends with whom I sometimes go to lunch or have coffee. We often talk about things God has put on our hearts to do for others or creative ideas for fresh ways to be a blessing. I believe conversations like this are very pleasing to God.

The idea of encouraging others to be aggressive in doing good works is not new. Hebrews 10:24 says we should consider one another in order to stir up love and good works. We should actually study and think about how we can stir others to do good works and loving, helpful deeds.

Following God by myself is powerful, but I find that it's so much more enjoyable with friends. I would like to challenge you to find like-minded people who want to follow God. Enlist people you know and invite them to a planning session on practical ways to live out a Christian life. Find ways that you can serve God and live out His love together.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, connect me with the right friends who will help me follow You more. I want to live the Christian life with others, stirring each other up to live out God's love.

Call God 'Abba'

For [the Spirit which] you have now received [is] not a spirit of slavery to put you once more in bondage to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption [the Spirit producing sonship] in [the bliss of] which we cry, Abba (Father)! Father! Romans 8:15

Fear can be a powerful influence in our lives. It's really just the enemy's perversion of faith. He says to us: 'Believe what I'm telling you. This is not going to work. Your prayers aren't any good. You don't have right standing with God. You are a failure.' Fear always tells you what you're not, what you don't have, what you can't do and what you'll never be.

But Romans 8:15 says that you are a child of God who can call Him "Abba Father." The word Abba was a term little children used in addressing their fathers. It would be similar to our word Daddy. It is less formal than Father and denotes a comfortable closeness between a child and his or her father. Jesus said we could call God 'Abba' because He had delivered us from all fear.

He will always take care of His beloved children, and we can approach Him without fear of rejection. When we run to Him with any problem or pain, He's waiting with open arms to comfort and encourage us.

Prayer Starter: Abba Father, I know that You will take care of me, Your beloved child. You alone can deliver me from all fear, so I run to Your open arms.

Who Does God Use?

[No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame.
28 And God also selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is lowborn andinsignificant and branded andtreated with contempt, even the things that are nothing, that He might depose andbring to nothing the things that are 1 Corinthians 1:27–28

God's chosen me to speak to crowds. People listen to me because God has anointed me to speak for Him, it's part of His destiny for my life. And God will anoint whomever He chooses to work through. That includes you. Who does God use? The Bible says that He picks the unlikely. He uses common, ordinary people like you and me.

When I started to preach the Gospel, some of my friends rejected me, they didn't think I should do that because I'm a woman. In fact, they told me I couldn't do that. But I was doing it because God told me to do it, and I trusted that if He told me I could do it, then I could do it. The same thing is true for you.

If you are willing to have an uncommon goal, God can do something great through you! Every common person can be used mightily by God. You just have to believe He can use you and be daring enough to embrace the goals or vision He puts in your heart. You have been chosen!

Prayer Starter: God, because You have chosen me, I won't doubt the destiny You have for me. Thank You for giving me a purpose in You.

Last edited:
Narrow Is the Road

But the gate is narrow (contracted by pressure) and the way is straitened andcompressed that leads away to life, and few are those who find it.
Matthew 7:14

Following God means walking the 'narrow road.' It means facing adversity. Here are several things I've learned that help me to keep going:

1. God's Word is a border for my life. As long as I stay within the guidelines laid out in Scripture, I'll have what I need to do what I need to do. God is faithful and true to His Word.

2. I have to be willing to finish what I start. God uses committed people who aren't led by emotion. It's easy to be excited in the beginning when something is new, but the ones who cross the finish line are the ones who hang in there when no one else is excited anymore.

3. When no one is there to help me, I get to know Jesus really well. The narrow road of living for God and not conforming to the ways of the world is often lonely. But the trade-off of gaining real intimacy with Christ is worth more than anything you could ever get from the world.

I believe these truths can help you like they've helped me. Always remember that even though there will be opposition, the rewards of walking the narrow path are absolutely worth it.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I desire to walk the narrow path - the way of life in Christ. Keep me within Your boundaries and show me how to live so that I can persevere to the end.

Go After Peace!

Depart from evil and do good; seek, inquire for, and crave peace and pursue (go after) it! Psalm 34:14

What causes us to lose our peace? Lots of things, running late, traffic jams, spilled coffee, That's why it's so important to 'exercise' walking in peace every day. For example, you have to decide when to close your mouth and not be easily offended. And you have to be OK with being wrong sometimes.

You can't just sit back and wish for peace, wish the devil would leave you alone, or wish that people would do what you want. The Bible tells us to actively pursue peace. You have to make up your mind to crave peace. For God's Word to bear fruit in our lives, it must be sown in a peaceful heart of someone who works for and makes peace. All believers have a responsibility to maintain a spirit of peace so God can spread His Word in and through them.

Are you looking for a breakthrough in your life but no matter how hard you try, it's not coming? It's more than likely because you are not living in peace. So I urge you, crave peace, seek after it, and go for it with all your might!

Prayer Starter: Lord, I can't just sit back any longer, waiting for peace to materialize. I want to actively pursue it. Show me the way as I go after Your peace.

Don't Be Busy. Be Fruitful.

For a dream comes with much business andpainful effort, and a fool's voice with many words. Ecclesiastes 5:3

Are you doing 'stuff' that isn't bearing fruit? Is busyness stealing your peace? I once heard of a guard who watched over a certain plot of ground at Buckingham Palace in England. For 100 years, 24 hours a day, that plot of land had been guarded. Finally, someone asked, 'What are you guarding?' He didn't know and simply said it had been under guard for 100 years. It turned out that 100 years ago, the queen had planted some rose bushes there and wanted to make sure they grew.

Now, a century later, a guard stood where a rose bush once stood, guarding nothing. Are there things you're doing but you don't know why you're doing them anymore? God never called us to be busy. He called us to be fruitful. Too much pointless activity doesn't bear fruit and only stresses us out. I encourage you to take an inventory of what you do throughout the day. You might be doing something God's not asking you to do, or something He was asking you to do but isn't anymore. Let the Holy Spirit show you how to get rid of busyness and bear more fruit.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, help me take an inventory of my life and cut out pointless activity. I don't want to be too busy. Show me how to live a more fruitful life.

Walk in the Same Favor as Jesus

And Jesus increased in wisdom (in broad and full understanding) and in stature andyears, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52

From childhood, Jesus walked in the supernatural favor of God and men. In fact, He was so popular He could hardly find time alone to pray and fellowship with His heavenly Father. Even those who did not believe in Him recognized that He walked in the favor of God.

The guards sent by the Pharisees to arrest Jesus returned saying, "Never has a man talked as this Man talks!" (John 7:46 AMP). And right up to the end of His life, even while He was on the cross, the people recognized that God was with Him (see Luke 23:47-48).

This same favor is available to us. We must never forget that no matter what happens, we can have favor with God and with other people (see Luke 2:52).

But like so many good things in life, we must activate our faith to receive it. So today, live by faith, confidently knowing that God will give you the favor Jesus had. Regardless of the circumstances that come into your life, believe God for supernatural favor.

Prayer Starter: God, I know that the same favor that Jesus walked in is available to me. Help me to walk by faith and receive it today.

Godly Motives

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
Psalm 139:23

Years ago when we were struggling financially, I grew tired of believing for a breakthrough and broke down before the Lord. I cried about it for a while and then, by the grace of God, I made a decision and declared: 'God, I am going to tithe and give offerings until the day I die, whether I ever see anything come from it or not!' I believe with all my heart this was a test for me to see why I was really giving.

The Lord wanted to reveal whether I had the right, godly motives. If I had been sure of reward, I may have only selfishly given to get something out of God. There's been a lot of teaching and preaching that says, 'Do this and you'll get that.' But what about having a pure heart that says, 'I want to do the right thing just because it's right and it glorifies God'?

I urge you to test your motives today and make sure they're not self-centered. Make a wholehearted commitment to serve God for the right reasons.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, search my heart and expose my true motives and intentions today. If they are not godly in any area, point them out to me and help me to change.

Pursue the Excellence of Daniel

Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm. Daniel 6:3

Daniel is a man in the Bible who is described as having an 'excellent spirit.' He lived to glorify God with his life, no matter what it cost him. Daniel loved God and was unwavering in his commitment to serve Him. As a result, God gave him favor with the king, which led to his promotion over the other leaders in the land. But his commitment to God was tested.

The leaders didn't like that the king favored Daniel. So they manipulated the king to sign a decree that prohibited anyone from praying to any god other than the king for 30 days. Violating the decree meant being thrown into a den of lions. Daniel didn't cave in to this decree, he was more concerned about keeping his commitment to God.

If you know the story, you know God protected him and was glorified in the end. I want to encourage you to live with that same excellent spirit. Be determined to really live for God. As you do, you'll fulfill your true purpose and glorify God in everything you do, just like Daniel.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I commit myself to a life of excellence, just like Daniel. Instill an 'excellent spirit' in me, so that I may serve You unwaveringly in all that I do.

Take Challenges One Day at a Time

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. Joshua 1:9

I strongly urge you to face your challenges one day at a time. Looking too far down the road only tends to overwhelm us. Trusting God requires that we believe He gives us our 'daily bread'; that is, we receive what we need as we need it and usually not before. Sometimes challenges can seem impossible and overwhelming, but God is always with us.

We just need to be courageous and receive the strength He gives us. Without thinking too far in advance, we can set our minds to quickly and efficiently do the task before us today. This principle applies to many other areas of life, getting out of debt, cleaning and organizing your house, solving marriage problems, disciplining your children, being on time for work or completing a project.

Whatever you need to do in life, you can do it. Remember, Philippians 4:13 says you are ready for anything and equal to anything because God gives you strength. Nothing is too much for you when He is on your side.

Prayer Starter: God, even when the challenges before me seem impossible, I know that I can tackle them one day at a time because You are with me. I receive Your strength today.

Keep God's Temple in Good Shape

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1 Corinthians 6:19

Until I turned 64, I'd never exercised in a serious way. I had walked and done a few things to stay in decent shape, but I was not dedicated to exercise. I had reached into my excuse bag many times over the years and come up with all kinds of 'reasons' I could not exercise. But the Lord spoke to me and encouraged me to begin a serious workout program so I could be strong for the last third of my journey through life. I already had good eating habits, and when I obeyed the Lord and started going to the gym several times a week, I stepped into a new season of life.

I looked better, I felt better, and most importantly, I was honoring God by taking good care of the body He gave me. I urge you to trust God and start finding ways to pursue health daily. The Word says that our bodies are temples of God. I don't know about you, but I want to make sure that God likes His temple! Today, make the choice to keep your temple in excellent shape for God.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I commit to a lifestyle of good physical health. Help me to make good choices that will continually improve my health. My body is Your temple, and I want to keep it in excellent shape for You!

God Opens and Shuts Doors

And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; Revelation 3:7

There are critical times in our lives when we especially need to know we are hearing clearly from God. It isn't always easy to know His voice from that of our own emotional reasoning. But I know from experience that God can open doors of opportunity that no one can close, and He can also close doors that we cannot open. I spent many years trying to organize things I wanted to do in life.

The result was frustration and disappointment. But I found that if we depend on God, He will give us favor and make things easy for us when we seek Him and His perfect timing. He leads one step at a time. If you take one step forward in the wrong direction, He will let you know before you go too far. Be aware that His thoughts are above your thoughts.

He sees the end from the beginning. All His ways are right and sure. He knows what makes sense for your life and He can make it happen. Hear from Him and you will not be deceived.

Prayer Starter: God, I trust You to open the right doors in my life and shut the wrong ones. Even when I don't know what to do, I have faith that I can hear from You and follow Your will.

Dying to Self Daily

I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 1 Corinthians 15:21

Selfishness is not learned behavior, we are born with it. But when we accept Jesus as our Savior, He comes to live in our spirit, and if we allow that renewed part of us to rule our decisions, then we can overcome the selfishness. It doesn't go away, but the Greater One who lives in us helps us overcome it daily (see Galatians 5:16).

Now, I haven't overcome selfishness entirely, and I doubt anyone else has either. Even the apostle Paul, one of the greatest Christians who ever lived, had trouble overcoming selfishness. Learning to live unselfishly was a journey for him, just like everybody else. He said that he had to "die to self" every single day.

We are called to the same life. It may be hard, but we cannot live selfish lives and expect to make a difference. We must die to self every single day. That may sound difficult, but when you live with the life of Jesus inside you, He can renew you and help you live the unselfish life.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I'm not perfect, but I know that like Paul, I can die to self every day. With Your life inside of me, I know that I can overcome selfishness.

Reaching Out to Others

and if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day: Isaiah 58:10

I have been amazed by the countless calls our ministry has received during the years to help churches become more outreach-oriented. Then, when help is offered, people exert a minimal amount of effort to continue what God places as a top priority.

Reaching out to others isn't something we should pay lip service to. It should be a top priority of living the Christian life. It takes determination and commitment to stretch ourselves to help others, but that's how God wants us to live. God says that when you truly give and pour yourself out for others, He will use you. "Your light shall dawn in the darkness and your darkness shall be as the noonday" (Isaiah 58:10 NKJV).

If you reach beyond your own situation and bring Christ's love to others, the circumstances you face will fade away and disappear. And you'll experience the wondrous joy of making a difference where it counts. What if you decide to change, to make this the time in your life when you make a difference? Rearrange your priorities today and reach out to others.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I want to readjust my priorities and reach out to others the way You want me to. Help me as I step out with determination to make a difference for You.

Forgetting About Ourselves

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

Paul said that he had been "crucified with Christ." In other words, he had to stop thinking about himself in order to live for God. And we are encouraged to do the same. At this point you may be thinking, "What about me? Who is going to take care of me?" This is usually what prevents us from living the way God wants us to live. It always comes back to me. We are so accustomed to seeing our desires satisfied that the very thought of forgetting about ourselves even for one day can be frightening. But if we can muster up the courage to try it, we will be amazed at the freedom and joy we experience.

The secret to having joy is giving your life away rather than trying to keep it. When you get the focus off of you and onto God, God can show you how to live a truly meaningful life. I encourage you to start your days by dedicating yourself to God. When you do, He will faithfully help you live a godly life.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I offer You my eyes, ears, mouth, hands, feet, heart, finances, gifts, talents, abilities, time, energy, all of me! It's not about me. It's all about You.

Step Out and Find Out

9A man's heart deviseth his way:
But the LORD directeth his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

People often ask me how to find their place in ministry. Some spend many years waiting to hear a voice or to receive supernatural direction. I tell them to step out and find out. Early in my journey with God, I wanted to serve Him. I felt He had placed a call on my life but I didn't know exactly what to do, so I tried different opportunities that were available.

A lot of them didn't work out for me, but I kept trying different ones until I found an area that fit me. I finally came alive inside when I had an opportunity to share the Word with people. I found joy in teaching, and it was obvious I was good at it. I knew then that I had found my place in ministry.

Sometimes the only way to discover God's will is to practice what I call "stepping out and finding out." If you have prayed about a situation and don't seem to know what you should do, take a step of faith. Don't be afraid of making a mistake. Step out and God will guide you.

Prayer Starter: God, I trust You, and I know that You will direct my steps, so I'm not afraid to step out and find out what You have for me.

What If?

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Philippians 3:13

The longer a person lives, the greater the possibility becomes that they will be haunted by those words. The good news is that for any follower of Jesus, "what if?" doesn't have to be a regret over the past but an exciting challenge to see the future God has for them. I know of a congregation that was challenged by their pastor to do four simple things (for only a month) to consecrate themselves for the coming year. He asked them to pray every day, fast one day a week, tithe and bring one unsaved person a week to church.

The result was an unprecedented breakthrough in the life of this church. God's presence marked the services in an increased way. Financial breakthroughs came for ministry projects and proposed buildings. In addition, church members entered a phenomenal season of bringing lost souls into God's kingdom.

I want to challenge you: What if you pursued God today, just like that church? What if you dedicated your life entirely to Him? What if you pushed forward, ready to see what God can do? What might happen?

Prayer Starter: Lord, I don't want to spend my life asking 'what if?' and never seeing any breakthroughs in my life. I make a fresh commitment to pursue You today, excited to see the amazing things You will do in my life.

God Can Clean Up Any Mess

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

I was seriously abused throughout my childhood. My life was horrible! I don't remember ever being really happy until I was in my twenties. My mind was a mess, my emotions were a mess...everything was a mess! But it didn't stay that way. God has dealt with me, changed me and brought me through it all.

Now I have a great relationship with God, real peace and joy, good relationships with family and friends, and I'm doing what God has called me to do. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that God rewards those who diligently seek Him. I've discovered that anything I sacrificed to get closer to God and obey Him, I received back from Him many times over what I gave. And what He gave me was always much better.

You may be thinking, "But Joyce, you don't know what I'm dealing with. It's so hard!" I understand, I've been through some really hard stuff. But God will reward those who seek Him. Be determined to seek Him in the midst of your hardship. He is more than able to clean up your messes!

Prayer Starter: God, I believe that You can clean up my messes. Instead of staying stuck in my troubles, I earnestly seek You today.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 227

The Enemy Has a Plan Too

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 1 Peter 5:8

God has a plan for your life, but the devil has a plan for you too. As a result, the Bible says we need to "be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times." Temperate means 'disciplined,' sober of mind means 'serious,' vigilant means 'determined' and cautious means 'careful.' We are to live like this 'at all times.' That's serious.

But we need to get serious to fight off the enemy. Whenever God shows you an area in your life where the enemy is attacking you, that's not the time to sit back and do nothing. It's time to get serious and fight back against Satan. God's plan is for us to be more than conquerors in Christ. We don't have to live enslaved to the enemy's plan.

You can decide right now to do what you need to do. Get serious with God, follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit, and stay on guard against the enemy. Choose today to follow God's plan for your life, not Satan's, and you will defeat the enemy at every turn.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose Your plan, not the enemy's. Show me the areas where he is attacking me and guide me in defeating him.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 228

Back
Top Bottom