Promises for Your Everyday Life

Let God Do the Heavy Lifting

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5

One of the most important things I have learned is to let God do the heavy lifting. Too many times we see what's wrong with ourselves and try to fix it through our own strength, but this will never be good enough. Jesus said in John 15:5, "Apart from me you can do nothing" (NIV).

We may try to be self-sufficient, but we need to let God supply the grace and ability to do what we need to do. Willpower and determination can get us started, but they've been known to quit in the middle and leave us stranded. We can learn to enjoy the life Jesus died to give us by inviting God to become involved in every aspect of it.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew11:28 NIV). We are not made to function without God. And with Him, we can break any bad habit or addiction, like overeating, substance abuse, poor time management, anger issues, you name it. Jesus is bigger than any problem you have.

Prayer Starter: God, I know that I'm nothing without You, so I invite You into every area of my life. I'll let You do the heavy lifting, following and trusting You every day.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 229

Taking Care of Your Body

For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:20

Some of us haven't learned to love our bodies enough to properly care for them. To change that, we must confront the three biggest obstacles to healthy living. We don't know how to care for our bodies. Bad diets, misinformation, and fast foods have confused people about what a wholesome diet is and how to eat the right foods in proper amounts.

Our view of body image is skewed by media and advertising. We're bombarded with unattainable ideals of beauty, while obesity is so prevalent that it's almost considered normal. We need to rediscover what a healthy person looks like. Exercise is nearly obsolete.

We've invented enough conveniences that we often live completely void of exercise. We don't even walk anywhere if we don't have to! But the truth is, a good deal of our well-being is dependent on exercising our bodies. If you struggle with these obstacles, make a decision today that you will not be defeated.

God tells us to treat our bodies well, and He will always help us do the things He tells us to do. So make a decision to rely on God's strength and live a healthier lifestyle.

Prayer Starter: God, I want to honor You by taking care of my body and living a healthy life. I believe that I can make changes through Your power that is at work in me.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 230

God Is Our Source, Not the World

Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness 2 Corinthians 9:10

God's financial system is not like the world's system. And no matter what happens around us, we don't have to be fearful because God loves us. While the world's financial systems are often unstable, the love of God never changes and remains our solid foundation in life. We can have confidence that whatever is happening, God wants to help us and will go out of His way to meet even our simple day-to-day needs. Second Corinthians 9:10 emphasizes that God will provide for our needs and give us "bread for eating."

God is the One who supplies our needs. Our jobs are not our source, God is. So when jobs and investments disappear, we don't have to feel hopeless because God is not limited. He can provide for us through other means, in ways we may not have imagined or are able to figure out ahead of time. Matthew 6:26 reassures us that if God takes care of the birds, we can believe He is going to provide for us, too. Do you believe that God can take care of you?

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for being a faithful, trustworthy source and providing all I need. No matter what happens, I rely on You and only You to meet my needs.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 231

Back
Top Bottom