Promises for Your Everyday Life

Every Day Is a New Day

This is the day which the LORD hath made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

God wants us to have joy in the midst of our ordinary, everyday life, even on the worst days of our life. There were times in my life when I dreaded facing each day. All I could think about was my circumstances, wondering how Dave and I were going to pay the bills or get everything done that we needed to do.

Sometimes I wanted to pull the covers over my head and just stay in bed. I was so wrapped up in worry that I was missing the point: God had created a new day, and He created it so that I could enjoy it. Every single day is filled with all kinds of situations that could upset you, things like losing your car keys or getting caught in a traffic jam.

But you can choose to be at peace and in control in the midst of them. When you and I take our minds off of ourselves and our circumstances and put our focus on God and loving others, we are embracing an attitude that will bring honor to Him and enable us to view every day as an exciting, new gift from God.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for the gift of a new day. Instead of focusing on the frustrating things in life, I choose to be at peace in You and rejoice and be glad in it!

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 249

The Best Way to Deal with Money

'He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: But he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse. '
Proverbs 28:27

I've discovered the best way to deal with money is to give it away. And we need to keep on giving, especially during challenging financial times. This is a key factor in helping us to maintain a biblical focus on our finances. It's always possible to live by God's financial principles, even in difficult times.

ou might find yourself in what seems like an impossible financial situation and feel like you're in no position to give, but don't let that stop you. God will help you when you simply work with what you have. Luke 19:17 tells us that God is pleased when we are faithful and trustworthy in very little things. When we are, it says He will give us authority over bigger things.

Proverbs 28:27 says, "He who gives to the poor will not want., " If we obey God with our finances, even when we don't have much, and give to help other people, the more God will have other people do for us. It's just that simple. Choose to be a giver today, and you will not lack anything.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose today to give my finances to You. Even in hard times, I know that Your financial principles still apply and that You will take care of me. You are my source!

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 250

You're Not Built for Guilt

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

When I ask large audiences how many people spend their lives feeling guilty, my guess is that at least 80 percent of the people raise their hands. I was part of that 80 percent until I decided that I was not built for guilt, and I was not going to continue to allow a renegade feeling to rule my life.

I studied God's Word about guilt and studied His character and nature until I was totally convinced that God is not the source of guilt.

I see guilt as an illegal invader that attacks our mind and conscience, attempting to prevent us from enjoying anything God has provided for us. Guilt has no legal right in our lives because Jesus has paid for our sins and misdeeds. If it is in us illegally, then we need to send it back where it came from, which is hell!

Refuse to let guilt steal your joy any longer. You must remember that you are not built for guilt. Deal with it aggressively anytime you experience it by receiving God's love and grace.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I know I'm not built for guilt! Every time guilt tries to rise up in me, bring it to my attention and remind me that I am forgiven and made whole by the sacrifice of Jesus.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 251

When Good Things Happen to People Who Have Hurt You

that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Matthew 5:45

Have you ever seen someone receive a blessing from God and felt like they didn't deserve it? Have you seen good things happen to someone who has hurt you? When a person who offended you gets a blessing, it can grate on you, at least it did for me until I learned how to forgive. The Bible says that good and bad things happen to both the righteous and the unrighteous.

When someone who's hurt you receives a blessing, it makes it even harder to forgive them, but you are still called to pray for them. I want to encourage you today to bless the people who have hurt you by praying for them, even though you may feel hurt and irritated by them. When you pray for people who have hurt you, it's a choice you make. And forgiveness is based on your decision - not a feeling. But there's healing in that for you.

A forgiving lifestyle helps you become more like Christ. As you learn the importance of forgiveness and begin to pray for blessings for those who have hurt you, your heart will heal from bitterness, and your personal growth will lead you to the blessings God has planned for you.

Prayer Starter: God, it might be hard, but I know I need to pray for and bless those who have hurt me. I realize that forgiveness is a choice, so I ask you to help me as I choose to forgive.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 252

Don't Let Yourself Snap

'Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: For thou renderest to every man according to his work.'
Psalm 62:12

Let's say you're working around the house and break a rubber band while trying to stretch it around something. You can't find another rubber band, so you try to fix the broken one by tying the ends together. Sometimes in our daily lives, we stretch ourselves beyond our capacity, and we snap like the rubber band. We think we've fixed the problem by simply tying the ends back together. But soon we fall into the same behavior that caused us to break down in the first place.

Over time with repeated exposure to stress, our lives begin to resemble that worn-out rubber band. It can completely deplete us. Ignoring God's laws and His ordained limits for our lives will ultimately cause burnout. You simply can't continue to overwork your mind, emotions and body without eventually paying the price.

But that's not how God wants you to live. Adjust your perspective to match God's. Seek His peace and His pace for your life. Respect your body. Treat good health as a priceless gift. Don't waste the energy God has given you on stress. Save it for living and enjoying life!

Prayer Starter: God, I want to find my rest in You. Instead of constantly going and snapping under stress, show me how to follow Your pace for my life.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 253

When Progress Is Slow

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; Romans 5:3

It's important to renew our minds, but it's also important to realize that this process of reprogramming or renewing our minds will take place little by little. Don't be discouraged if progress seems slow. Don't get down when you have setbacks or bad days. Just get back up, dust yourself off and start again.

When a baby is learning to walk, he falls many, many times before he develops the ability to walk without falling; however, the baby is persistent. He may cry for a while after he falls down, but he always gets right back up and tries again. Learning to change our thinking works the same way. We struggle and fall down, but God is always there to pick us up. Rather than get frustrated, you should, as the Bible says, "triumph" in your hardship, because the very fact that you're struggling means that you're fighting the good fight.

There will be days when we don't do everything right, days when our thinking is negative. But never stop trying. God is gradually bringing us around to His way of thinking. Just don't give up!

Prayer Starter: Lord, thank You for picking me up when I fall down. I know that my struggles mean that You are helping me overcome my negative mindsets and bringing me more and more in line with Your way of thinking.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 254

Keep the River Flowing

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
John 7:38

Deep inside each of us, there is a river of life. This river is a wonderful gift given to each of us by God. It flows with good health, a positive outlook on life, and a generous and forgiving attitude. Many people, however, have allowed their river to become stopped-up. They are always discouraged, and no matter what they do, they can't seem to snap out of it.

Years of neglect have turned a once-power-flowing river into a small stream. Do you know people like this? Does this sound like your life? Until you're able to get your river cleared out and unclogged, everything will be difficult, disappointing and unfulfilling. You'll be unable to taste the water that satisfies like nothing else. Get in the river by clearing what blocks its flow.

Make a choice today to stop spending your life fighting, struggling and trudging through the mud with every step. Ask God to help you clear out the debris. He'll show you what's blocking the flow and how to get rid of it. Then, enjoy the satisfying flow of the river of life!

Prayer Starter: God, I want to keep Your river of living water flowing in me. Show me what the debris is that's blocking the way and then show me how to clear it out.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 255

Praise God in Your Prison

But about midnight, as Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the [other] prisoners were listening to them,
26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the very foundations of the prison were shaken; and at once all the doors were opened and everyone's shackles were Acts 16:25-26

Sometimes we find ourselves in such horrible messes that it's hard to imagine waiting one more second. But we need to keep waiting on God and trusting Him with a sweet and simple faith. Then, in a way we never could've figured out, God moves suddenly! Paul and Silas knew about waiting, and they waited well.

Acts 16 tells the story of how they were attacked by a crowd, beaten and thrown in jail. Verse 24 says the jailer put them into the inner prison (the dungeon) and fastened their feet in the stocks. Paul and Silas didn't seem to mind, they just decided to start singing and began to worship the Lord. They began to wait on God. Suddenly, God sent an earthquake that opened the prison doors and loosed their chains. He set them free! When people patiently and expectantly wait on God in the midst of horrible circumstances, suddenly God breaks through.

So don't give up! Don't stop believing! Stay full of hope and expectation. God's power is limitless, and He'll break through for you.

Prayer Starter:
God, no matter how bad my messes get, I choose to praise You in my prison. I know that You will suddenly free me and come through in Your perfect timing.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 256

Take Your Doubts Captive

[Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasoning's and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One),
2 Corinthians 10:5

When we start the process of renewing our minds, it's OK when we mess up. God knows we're not perfect and He's always there to help us get back on track. Unfortunately, the devil also knows we're not perfect, and he does his best to remind us every step of the way. We can be going along, serving God, doing good, stepping out in faith and then all of a sudden, without there being any justification for it, we'll have a day or week when we have an attack on our mind.

Satan will tell us that we're failures, that we're not good enough, that God doesn't love us, the list goes on and on. Thankfully, God's Word tells us just what to do in a situation like this.

Second Corinthians 10:5 tells us to take every thought captive and into obedience to God. So when the devil tries to lie to you, go to the Word and find the truth that refutes that lie. When those doubts come your way, don't get discouraged. Bring them in line with God's Word. It works every time! Prayer Starter: God, I won't let the lies and doubts that the enemy sends my way get me off track. Instead, I'll believe what Your Word says and take those thoughts captive!

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 257

Wait with Patience

But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, Galatians 5:22

Many people want change, but they don't want to go through the waiting process. But the truth is, waiting is a given, we are going to wait. The question is, are we going to wait the wrong or right way? If we wait the wrong way, we'll be miserable; but if we decide to wait God's way, we can become patient and actually enjoy the wait.

It takes practice, but as we let God help us in each situation, we develop patience, which is one of the most important Christian virtues. Patience is a fruit of the Spirit. It's developed only under trial, so we must not run from difficult situations. As we develop patience, the Bible says we finally feel completely satisfied, lacking nothing. Even our relationship with God involves progressive changes.

We learn to trust Him in a deeper way by going through many experiences that require us to wait longer than we'd like. Trust me, the waiting may be hard, but it will make you stronger. The benefits that patience brings are certainly worth any uncomfortable wait! Prayer Starter: God, I want to change and grow deeper in my relationship with You. I understand that this means developing patience, but I know that I will grow stronger as You develop patience in me.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 258

Sharing in His Suffering

Romans 8​

18 [But what of that?] For I consider that the sufferings of this present time (this present life) are not worth being compared with the glory that is about to be revealed to us and in us and or us and conferred on us!

As Christians, we like the thought of sharing in Christ's glory, but what about sharing in His suffering? Jesus took care of the death penalty once and for all so we don't ever have to worry about that again. But the Bible teaches that we must suffer times of trial if we are to share in the glory. Is it worth it?

According to Romans 8:18, it certainly is! We tend to believe that we suffer because of our circumstances and if they would only change, we'd be able to act right. But God wants us to become so mature and stable that we act right even when none of our circumstances are good. There are different levels of faith, and most of the time we want to use our faith to get rid of all suffering. But sometimes God's plan is for us to exercise a higher level of faith that will carry us through life's challenges.

Too often we marvel at the delivering power of God and overlook His keeping, strengthening and enabling power. Jesus promised in John 16:33 that He will give us His peace during the trials of life and the power we need to overcome them. I encourage you today, if you are going through a time of suffering, take heart because in Christ, you will come through it and share in His glory which shall be revealed! Prayer Starter: Lord, Paul said that present sufferings are nothing compared to the glory that comes from walking with You. I want to have that same attitude. I receive Your enabling power to walk through any suffering that comes my way.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 259

A Great Trade

Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; He will never allow the [consistently] righteous to be moved (made to slip, fall, or fail).
Psalm 55:22

Did you know that God wants to make a trade with you? He has a standing offer every minute of every day, and it's amazing how few of us actually take Him up on it. He wants you to give Him all your cares, problems and failures. In return He'll give you His peace and joy. God really does want to take care of us, but in order to let Him, we've got to stop trying to take care of ourselves and worrying about every little thing we can't control.

Many people would like for God to take care of them, but they insist on worrying or trying to figure out an answer on their own, instead of waiting for God's direction. God will give us peace, but we must first give Him our worries. What a great trade! We give God our worry, and He gives us His peace. We give Him all our cares and concerns, and He gives us His protection, stability and joy.

That's the amazing blessing and privilege of being cared for by Him. Prayer Starter: Lord, You have offered me an amazing trade. You are so much more capable than I am, so I give You all of my cares and receive all of the peace and joy that You offer me!

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 260

Does Your Inside Match Your Outside?

Nor will people say, Look! Here [it is]! or, See, [it is] there! For behold, the kingdom of God is within you [in your hearts] and among you [surrounding you]. Luke 17:21

Sometimes we wish for things to change but are unwilling to do what it takes to make things better. I was always upset about my circumstances. I wanted God to change them for me, and I wanted Him to change the people around me too. But then He showed me that I needed to work on changing my inner life before I could expect real change in my outer life.

Matthew 6:33 (NLT) says, "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." So what is God's kingdom? The Bible says the kingdom of God is in us. If you've accepted Christ, that means He's living in you, and He wants to live in a good spiritual home. That's why your inner life is so important to God.

We must seek first His kingdom, letting His Holy Spirit take hold of us on the inside. When we allow Him to work in us, eventually we won't be able to contain it, and it will spill out and change the world around us!

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, help me not to get caught up in trying to change external things when You're asking me to focus on developing Your kingdom in my heart. I invite You to work in my inner life.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 261

Prudence

The wise in heart are called prudent, understanding, and knowing, and winsome speech increases learning [in both speaker and listener].
Proverbs 16:21

A word we don't hear much about today is prudence. It means "careful management: economy." In the Bible, prudence, or prudent, means "being good stewards or managers of the gifts God has given us to use."

Those gifts include time, energy, strength and health, even material possessions. They include our bodies, as well as our minds and spirits. Just as each one of us has been given a different set of gifts, each of us has been given different levels of ability to manage those gifts. Too many people burn themselves out, constantly using their gifts and abilities in ways that God did not intend them to. Instead of pushing ourselves too hard to please others or reach our own personal goals, we need to listen to God and do what He's telling us is wise.

Trying to impress people and live up to their standards isn't prudence. Prudence means asking God how He wants you to use your gifts and then obeying. Learn God's prudence today and put it into practice so you can enjoy your life the way He intended.

Prayer Starter:
God, I desire to be a good steward of all that You've given me. I decide now to only use my gifts and abilities for You. Show me how to use them with Your prudence and wisdom.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 262

Does God Prefer Polyester or Denim?

But the Lord said to Samuel, Look not on his appearance or at the height of his stature, for I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7

I used to be so judgmental about the way some people dressed. Not long ago, I thought that I couldn't wear jeans while I was teaching at a conference, but my son said to me, "Do you really think that God anoints polyester more than denim?" It took some things like that to shock me into the realization that I was just holding on to a religious attitude when God wanted me to freshen up my look in order to reach more people.

Sure, it's good to dress nicely when we go to church. But the bottom line is, we shouldn't be so focused on our outward appearance that we lose sight of our main goal: developing a close, personal relationship with God. God simply wants us to fellowship with Him, which means communicating with Him throughout our day just like we do with someone who's our close friend or family member.

He doesn't care about the outward appearance, only real relationship. Spend time with Him, being grateful for what He's done and is doing in your life. Have a real relationship with Him.

Prayer Starter:
God, help me to have Your attitude about outward appearance. Help me not to judge others who don't dress the way I think they should, and help me to develop a strong inner relationship with You.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 263

Self-Control Applies to Every Area

The Spirit of Truth, Whom the world cannot receive (welcome, take to its heart), because it does not see Him or know and recognize Him. But you know and recognize Him, for He lives with you [constantly] and will be in you. John 14:17

There are certain messages in the Bible that apply to everything - self-control is one of them. It doesn't matter what kind of problem we have in our lives, self-control comes into play in every area. If we don't discipline ourselves, our emotions will rule us and our lives will be miserable. Exercising self-control means living in moderation. Everything in life requires quality decisions and discipline to make it happen.
So many of our problems are a direct result of a lack of discipline. Financial debt happens when we can't control our spending habits, bad health follows when we can't control our eating habits, etc. If you are in a situation that seems overwhelming to get out of, a lot of discipline and self-control may be required.

Thankfully, God has given us the Holy Spirit to live in us and help us. If you are born again, you have the Spirit of Christ inside you - complete with the fruit of self-control. You may not have developed it, but know that it's there. You have what it takes. Make a decision to develop self-control through your relationship with the Holy Spirit.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose a spirit of discipline and self-control. By the power of Your Spirit in me, I will do what You tell me to do and not be controlled by my feelings.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

As Vital as Your Heartbeat

For those who are according to the flesh and are controlled by its unholy desires set their minds on and pursue those things which gratify the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit and are controlled by the desires of the Spirit set their minds on and seek those things which gratify the [Holy] Spirit. Romans 8:5

As believers, right thinking is something that is so important we simply can't live without it. Just like our heartbeat, it's vital because many of the problems we deal with in our lives are rooted in wrong thinking patterns, which are not based on the truth. Right thinking is a result of regular, personal fellowship with God through prayer and the Word. It is important for us to come to grips with the fact that our lives will not get straightened out until our thinking gets straightened out. Thoughts bear fruit. When you and I think good thoughts, our lives produce good fruit.

When we think bad thoughts, our lives produce bad fruit. The longer I serve God and study His Word, the more I realize how important it is for me to be aware of what's going on in my mind. Where the mind goes, the man follows. Continually watching over our thoughts is the only way we will ever be able to keep them in line with God's Word and win our battle against the enemy.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, You have shown me that right thinking is absolutely vital. I will seek You regularly so that I can think the right thoughts.

Perseverance Pays

And anyone and everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for My name's sake will receive many [even a hundred] times more and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19:29

In the early years when we were building our ministry, Dave and I went through a lot of difficult tests. I needed to work on my attitude. We needed to work on our marriage and how we handled money. For six years I bought my socks and underwear at garage sales. We were totally broke, and I was teaching prosperity!

Not only that, it just wasn't popular for women to preach back then. We lost friends and had family members who didn't want anything to do with us. It was just hard and sometimes I wanted to quit. But today I am so glad that I stuck with God because there are people all over the world who have been helped because of our ministry.

Scripture tells us in Matthew 19 that we will have to leave 'important' things behind for the sake of following Him. We didn't have everything we thought we needed back then, but the trade-off ended up being more than worth it. Persevere in your walk with God, even when it's hard. Stay focused on Him, and it will all pay off when you enter the victory He has for you.

Prayer Starter:
God, sometimes it's hard to persevere in the Christian life, but I know that the perseverance will pay off. I will follow You alone, because You are all that matters.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Day 264

Back
Top Bottom