Mark 16:16~"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I’m just saying that’s how silly it sounds to see all of these modern people redefining the name of Jesus into some new name. They just make stuff up. It’s downright zany.
That's because you don't understand Hebrew and the Jewish culture. Nobody is redefining anything or any name.

No you need to get real before you lose the last few remaining brain cells.
I know how you guys think. I’ve been around for quite a while. You guys think that the Hebrew language is some language that survived for 400+ years of exile, and it was the predominant language of the Jews. You guys think they kept to themselves, even among the Romans and Greeks. You think that Pilate and the Sanhedrin were speaking in Hebrew at the trial of Jesus. You think…

I know how you guys think. I’ve been around for quite a while. You guys think that the Hebrew language is some language that survived for 400+ years of exile, and it was the predominant language of the Jews. You guys think they kept to themselves, even among the Romans and Greeks. You think that Pilate and the Sanhedrin were speaking in Hebrew at the trial of Jesus. You think…
No you don't understand how we think or you would not be asking stupid questions.

The English spelling "Jesus" is a greek transliteration of the Hebrew spelling name Yehoshua or Yeshua. When the Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek in the Septuagint, the name Yehoshua was transliterated as Iesous, and this form was carried over into the New Testament of the Christian Bible. In Latin, Iesous became Iesus, and this Latin form eventually evolved into the English spelling "Jesus."

The variations in the Hebrew form of the name, Yehoshua and Yeshua, are both used in the post-exilic books. Yeshua is used in Ezra and Nehemiah, while Yehoshua is used in Chronicles and Haggai.

What's really important Is who did Jesus say he was.

Jesus used the same phrase “I AM” in seven declarations about Himself.

In all seven, He combines I AM with tremendous metaphors which express His saving relationship toward the world. All appear in the book of John.

They are I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51);
I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12);
I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:7, 9);
I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14);
I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25);
I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6); and
I AM the True Vine (John 15:1, 5).

The English spelling "Jesus" is a greek transliteration of the Hebrew spelling name Yehoshua or Yeshua. When the Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek in the Septuagint, the name Yehoshua was transliterated as Iesous, and this form was carried over into the New Testament of the Christian Bible. In Latin, Iesous became Iesus, and this Latin form eventually evolved into the English spelling "Jesus."

The variations in the Hebrew form of the name, Yehoshua and Yeshua, are both used in the post-exilic books. Yeshua is used in Ezra and Nehemiah, while Yehoshua is used in Chronicles and Haggai.

In all seven, He combines I AM with tremendous metaphors which express His saving relationship toward the world. All appear in the book of John.

So Matthew 1 and Luke 1 was written in Hebrew?
The Gospel to all the world was in Hebrew?

Ezra and Nehemiah were 400 years prior to the New Testament starting. I guess you think there was a Hebrew language bubble in the region? How about Acts chapter 1 when all the Jews that heard them speak in tongues in the upper room were from a dozen different languages? Was all that in Hebrew also?

Western countries speak English because English is the language of the world power. Most of us had a different native language from hundreds of years ago. But now we all speak English. The Jews were in the same boat in the 400 silent years. Each generation became more and more adjusted to the language that dominated them. That was also the business language. They were all fluent in Greek before the Roman government took over. As the Roman government took over they all spoke Greek and thus the gospels were written in Greek to reach the masses.

Do you know why? God is smart.

Does it really make any difference? What dead dog are we trying to beat now?
Just trying to make sure you folks are saying Jesus, and not some phony name to replace it in these last days.

I am having enough trouble trying to get you guys to say the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is "Jesus" and not "son".

Jesus said that it is written "that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations ..." Luke 24:47

No baptism mentioned here.

Peter said in Acts 10:43 "that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Repentance and believing, Biblically, occur at the same time. "Repent and believe in the gospel." Jesus speaking in Mark 1:15

The author of Hebrews agrees; " ... Not laying again the foundation of REPENTANCE from dead works and of FAITH toward God. Heb. 6:1

No baptism mentioned here. (That is, for salvation, which only requires repentance and faith)

Did you notice that the author put repentance and faith TOGETHER, i.e. they are connected with"and"? So these two are like two sides of one coin.

But when the author goes on to discuss "washings", which could be speaking of baptism, it is connected to "laying on of hands" with "and". Hands must be laid on someone, in order to baptize them.

But the real point here is that repentance and faith, which is salvation, are in a different category than "instruction about washings and laying on of hands."
So salvation is one thing, but water baptism is a different thing - related, but not the same thing.

I agree with John MacArthur on this issue, that the majority of verses in the Bible, teaching about being saved do NOT include baptism. Then there are a minority of verses that, at first glance, can appear to teach that baptism is included in being saved. But the minority need to be interpreted to agree with the majority, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom