Don’t dishonor Christ in your conduct.

Eunice Harper

Staff member
You represent Jesus when you post. The Bible says that every believer is an ambassador for Christ.

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Cor. 5:20

Everything you say and do—online and offline—represents Jesus. Shouldn’t that identity, then, affect what you post and the manner in which you engage? Ask yourself, what would Jesus think of your reply? Would he approve of the tone? Would he think you’re treating your interlocutor, who is a fellow image-bearer of God, with respect? If not, don’t post. Just a suggestion let your conscience be your guide.

Last edited:
You represent Jesus when you post. The Bible says that every believer is an ambassador for Christ.

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Cor. 5:20

Everything you say and do—online and offline—represents Jesus. Shouldn’t that identity, then, affect what you post and the manner in which you engage? Ask yourself, what would Jesus think of your reply? Would he approve of the tone? Would he think you’re treating your interlocutor, who is a fellow image-bearer of God, with respect? If not, don’t post.
There's potential on this thread-Rom 8 immediately comes to mind.
Johann

There's potential on this thread-Rom 8 immediately comes to mind.
Johann
Best chapter in the Bible.

Romans 8 has almost everything. It begins with our justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, continues with sanctification and the work of the Holy Spirit , and then speaks about our adopted sonship with the Father, the significance of suffering, the prospect of glory, the final redemption of our bodies, and the restoration of all creation. It reassures us that as we wait for our resurrection and final transformation, the Spirit helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us.

It teaches us about the good and sovereign providence of God in our lives, and that His goal is to transform us into the likeness of Christ. Indeed, Paul says, nothing can stop God from bringing that to pass. No one can successfully oppose us, bring any charge against us, condemn us, or finally separate us from God’s love for us in Christ.

Romans 8 has almost everything. It begins with our justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, continues with sanctification and the work of the Holy Spirit , and then speaks about our adopted sonship with the Father, the significance of suffering, the prospect of glory, the final redemption of our bodies, and the restoration of all creation. It reassures us that as we wait for our resurrection and final transformation, the Spirit helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us.

It teaches us about the good and sovereign providence of God in our lives, and that His goal is to transform us into the likeness of Christ. Indeed, Paul says, nothing can stop God from bringing that to pass. No one can successfully oppose us, bring any charge against us, condemn us, or finally separate us from God’s love for us in Christ.
Late here in South Africa 12.05 AM and will definitely peruse this thread from time to time @Eunice Harper.

This is deep and worthy of a respectful dialogue.

Shalom to you and family
Johann.

Do you know how many Imperatives and Indicatives are there in Romans 8?

In Romans 8, the apostle Paul focuses on the life in the Spirit and the assurance of God's love. The chapter is predominantly theological and declarative, explaining the work of the Spirit in believers' lives, their adoption as children of God, and the future glory that awaits them. Unlike some other chapters in Paul's letters, Romans 8 contains relatively few imperatives (commands or exhortations).

Imperatives in Romans 8
After examining the chapter, it is clear that there is a significant focus on indicatives (statements of fact) rather than imperatives (commands). Here is a breakdown of the possible imperatives in Romans 8:

Romans 8:12: "So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh."

Possible Imperative: This verse implies a negative imperative—not to live according to the flesh. While it’s not a direct command in the imperative form, it functions as a directive.

Romans 8:13: "For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

Imperative: "Put to death the deeds of the body." The phrase "put to death" (Greek: θανατοῦτε, thanatoute) is in the present active imperative form, instructing believers to actively put to death the sinful actions of the body.

Summary
In summary, Romans 8 contains one clear imperative in verse 13 ("put to death the deeds of the body"). The rest of the chapter is predominantly declarative, explaining the work of the Holy Spirit and the believer's position in Christ. The focus is on what God has done and is doing for believers, rather than on issuing commands for specific actions.

This structure serves to highlight the transformative work of the Spirit and the assurance of God's love and salvation, providing comfort and encouragement to believers.

I will definitely come around tomorrow, God willing.
Johann

Do you know how many Imperatives and Indicatives are there in Romans 8?

In Romans 8, the apostle Paul focuses on the life in the Spirit and the assurance of God's love. The chapter is predominantly theological and declarative, explaining the work of the Spirit in believers' lives, their adoption as children of God, and the future glory that awaits them. Unlike some other chapters in Paul's letters, Romans 8 contains relatively few imperatives (commands or exhortations).

Imperatives in Romans 8
After examining the chapter, it is clear that there is a significant focus on indicatives (statements of fact) rather than imperatives (commands). Here is a breakdown of the possible imperatives in Romans 8:

Romans 8:12: "So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh."

Possible Imperative: This verse implies a negative imperative—not to live according to the flesh. While it’s not a direct command in the imperative form, it functions as a directive.

Romans 8:13: "For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

Imperative: "Put to death the deeds of the body." The phrase "put to death" (Greek: θανατοῦτε, thanatoute) is in the present active imperative form, instructing believers to actively put to death the sinful actions of the body.

Summary
In summary, Romans 8 contains one clear imperative in verse 13 ("put to death the deeds of the body"). The rest of the chapter is predominantly declarative, explaining the work of the Holy Spirit and the believer's position in Christ. The focus is on what God has done and is doing for believers, rather than on issuing commands for specific actions.

This structure serves to highlight the transformative work of the Spirit and the assurance of God's love and salvation, providing comfort and encouragement to believers.

I will definitely come around tomorrow, God willing.
Johann
Interesting, Get a good night's sleep and we'll see you tomorrow. Yes God willing.

But then there's John 3. Then there's 1 Cor 13 (love chapter) Then there's Psalm 23 and Psalm 91. Maybe we should just stay with the Bible is the best book in the world? :)
Most definitely the bible is the best collection of books in the world. And we probably all have our favorite books of the bible. 1 Corinthians 13 is definitely one that is a favorite chapter of many people myself included. The book of Galatians is my favorite book.

Romans 8 is one of the most loved chapters in all of Scripture. Paul begins and ends this passage with statements about the absolute security of those who are in Christ. First, there is no condemnation, at all, for those in Christ. Last, nothing will ever be able to separate us from God's love for us in Christ.

Those two facts, That there's no condemnation for those who are in Christ and that nothing can separate us from god's love are just so reassuring.

So the Bible is the best book in the world and some of us have our favorite parts of it.;)

But then there's John 3. Then there's 1 Cor 13 (love chapter) Then there's Psalm 23 and Psalm 91. Maybe we should just stay with the Bible is the best book in the world? :)
And John 1, Genesis 1, Revelation 21, 22, Colossians 3. So many great chapters in scripture.

And John 1, Genesis 1, Revelation 21, 22, Colossians 3. So many great chapters in scripture.
So many great books and chapters, We are so blessed. Let's not forget Psalms and Proverbs. And so many heartwarming verses in the bible. Such as John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

So many great books and chapters, We are so blessed. Let's not forget Psalms and Proverbs. In so many heartwarming verses in the bible. Such as John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
Heartwarming and full of assurance.

Luk 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
Luk 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Everything you say and do—online and offline—represents Jesus. Shouldn’t that identity, then, affect what you post and the manner in which you engage? Ask yourself, what would Jesus think of your reply? Would he approve of the tone? Would he think you’re treating your interlocutor, who is a fellow image-bearer of God, with respect? If not, don’t post.

So if I disagree with you, don't post?

That is how I read this post. You are claiming to represent Jesus. Thusly, you are requesting that everyone comply with your view of what Jesus is like.

I submit that you have no authority to moderate based upon the standard you're asserting. You may have the ability to moderate posts here but you don't speak for God.

Jesus was much different than most people recognize.

That is how I read this post. You are claiming to represent Jesus. Thusly, you are requesting that everyone comply with your view of what Jesus is like.

I submit that you have no authority to moderate based upon the standard you're asserting. You may have the ability to moderate posts here but you don't speak for God.

You sure read a lot into my post that wasn't even there. Tell you what take everything I put in that short post and show me where I'm attempting to speak for God.

Are you doing okay man? You haven't lost your joy have you? You seem Bummed out.

You sure read a lot into my post that wasn't even there. Tell you what take everything I put in that short post and show me where I'm attempting to speak for God.
1. Did you say not to post?
2. You based your command not to post upon what you believe it means to be an ambassador for Christ.

1. Did you say not to post?
2. You based your command not to post upon what you believe it means to be an ambassador for Christ.
3. Here's what I posted
4. Everything you say and do—online and offline—represents Jesus. Shouldn’t that identity, then, affect what you post and the manner in which you engage? Ask yourself, what would Jesus think of your reply? Would he approve of the tone? Would he think you’re treating your interlocutor, who is a fellow image-bearer of God, with respect? If not, don’t post.

I can see where you have a hard time with the sentence above in bold. The last sentence is not a command it's a suggestion. Why is it you have to take everything to the hilt? Here's another suggestion lighten up.

This body itself = sin.

Only the soul is His and can represent Him...

follow Him.

this does not mean to physically kill oneself, since we must be alive
to be transformed/snatched up.

the point is, and here I think maybe the OP would really or should really make that point,
that this world and flesh belong to the law of sin and Death... as its type of Nature.
and that it is always steering the soul to follow that law.. of the Flesh.

but, we are to focus all our intent and hope on the Law of the spirit of Life
which is His reality... and on Going Home.. = when His souls meet Christ on the clouds.

and look at how the first commandment fits perfectly with this focus
since to look away from Him toward this world of sin and death, is to follow the idol
the needs and wants of this flesh..

and not Him....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom