Daniel 9

The Rogue Tomato

I was having a look at the Septuagint translated into English and this caught my eye:

"Daniel 9:17 And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation."

As far as I've read, a drink offering was usually wine, poured out near the altar on the Temple Mount. The wine had to be pure, with the yeast killed by the alcohol, no sweetening (which presumably could re-activate the yeast) or cooking (presumably to kill the yeast) allowed.

It looks like the Hebrew does not specify drink offering, but just oblation. Why would the translators of the Septuagint specifically say "drink offering" and should that be the preferred interpretation? And, if so, is there a symbolism here that is unnoticed, since one might infer that "sacrifice and drink offering" could by symbolic of the body and blood of Christ? Going with that, could this text mean that starting in the midst of the week, the possibility of salvation shall be taken away?

Yes, I know this is stretch-Armstrong level thinking, but it got me curious to see what others might think.

I was having a look at the Septuagint translated into English and this caught my eye:

"Daniel 9:17 And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation."

As far as I've read, a drink offering was usually wine, poured out near the altar on the Temple Mount. The wine had to be pure, with the yeast killed by the alcohol, no sweetening (which presumably could re-activate the yeast) or cooking (presumably to kill the yeast) allowed.

It looks like the Hebrew does not specify drink offering, but just oblation. Why would the translators of the Septuagint specifically say "drink offering" and should that be the preferred interpretation? And, if so, is there a symbolism here that is unnoticed, since one might infer that "sacrifice and drink offering" could by symbolic of the body and blood of Christ? Going with that, could this text mean that starting in the midst of the week, the possibility of salvation shall be taken away?

Yes, I know this is stretch-Armstrong level thinking, but it got me curious to see what others might think.

What did the Jewish historian Josephus reveal about the Antiochus IV blueprint regarding the Daniel 11 events of the "vile person"? Per Daniel 11:31, Antiochus Epiphanes as a type for the final Antichrist ended the daily sacrifices, and instead placed an IDOL abomination to Zeus worship on the Altar inside the 2nd temple, demanding that all bow to it.

That idea is substitution of the daily sacrifices with an idol abomination. So I don't think the idea of a drink-offering fits that.

Back
Top Bottom