Yes, Calvinists—free will IS in the Bible.

Diserner

If I had a nickel for every time a Calvinist said to me "free will isn't in the Bible," I'd have a whole Nickelback album.

I do not accept the Trinity because it is explicitly declared in Scripture.

And this is true of libertarian freedom.

Hence, the philosophical notion of libertarian freedom is under the same umbrella.

The Trinity is deduced from Scripture not explicitly stated, and free will can also be conclusively deduced from Scripture.

First let's talk a little about what free will is not—

1. It's not the ability to do absolutely anything.

2. It's not the guarantee of no influencing forces.

3. It's not the ability to produce self-righteousness.

4. It is not randomness—this straw man caricature would mean choice is not under control of an agent, like a slot machine.

Free will is the limited ability to select between certain limited options as ordained and circumscribed by God's created order.

Now let's take a fairly mundane seeming passage and extrapolate some ideas from it.

3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, "Indeed you are a dead man because of the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man's wife."
4 But Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, "Lord, will You slay a righteous nation also?
5 "Did he not say to me,`She is my sister '? And she, even she herself said,`He is my brother.' In the integrity of my heart and innocence of my hands I have done this."
6 And God said to him in a dream, "Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart. For I also withheld you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.
7 "Now therefore, restore the man's wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours." (Gen 20:3-7 NKJ)

Just as the Trinity can be deduced from whatever passages you want to cite, so true autonomous decision can be from this passage (as well as hundreds of others, but this passage is sufficient and a good example).

This is a long setup but bear with me. At first God says to Abimelech that he is a dead man because he has sinned. Abimelech answers and implies that this is too harsh a judgment in the light of his current limitations of understanding the situation. Abimelech then declares he is innocent. In verse 6, God does not say Abimelech is wrong, but rather affirms that Abimelech is actually correct on this issue. He has done this "in the integrity" of his heart. Then God says he has somehow kept Abimelech from sinning so far as an act of mercy because of ignorance. But now Abimelech is no longer considered ignorant, as he has been warned, so we end with verse 7 in which God lays out two different outcomes that are both indicated to be a real possibility and determined by the choice Abimelech makes.

Honesty is an attribute of God, and honesty in communication is necessary if you want to be understood in the way you intend to say something. "God is not a man that he should lie," says the Divine. That is, in general, if you wish to convey information and not mislead someone, you actually have to mean what you say. We cannot claim Abimelech would understand this passage in any deterministic way, and if determinism were true it would not be beyond the capacity of God to phrase this in a deterministic way or even to explain that Abimelech actually has no libertarian choice in the matter and there are not two real, viable outcomes as God indicated, where Abimelech either "surely dies" or he will in fact "live" although he was declared dead already, which in this case would indicate he had a pending "death sentence," or ban, on him.

Now the truth about determinism is a sneaky one, because no matter how you phrase something to sound like autonomy, you can always just claim it only sounds that way as some kind of illusion. But the default position of any text should not to be take the plain meaning as an illusion, but to take it as meaning what it says, unless we have strong overriding context. With proponents of determinism, a small percentage of Bible verses that could possibly be interpreted as deterministic are used as an overriding lens to reinterpret a much, much larger majority percentage of thousands of passages that are made to sound deliberately as if choice were two or more actual outcomes decided by the individual, instead of pre-decided by God.

And this overriding persupposition becomes so second nature to the Calvinist, that, in my interaction with determinists anyway, they almost seem to think it's the natural way to interpret choices in Scripture as necessarily deterministic when that's actually not the default way to understand them.

If God wanted to convey a deterministic meaning of any kind to Abimelech it would have been easy, simple and clear to simply phrase what God says to Abimelech in a deterministic way, "I have chosen you to sin," or "you will go on and do what I have decided for you to do," or "you must fulfill your destiny and this is what it will be." God does not choose any of those easy options which would be honest and clear, to phrase something deliberately in a way that sounds non-deterministic, and this is not by any definition the honest way of communicating. Abimelech, if Calvinism were true, would have been misled by God.

So although we have verses where Jesus says "the only true God" in reference to his Father, we take the higher percentage of verses and reinterpret the lower percentage of verses, to justify our interpretation that Jesus himself is the only true God as well. In the same way Scripture actually ends up directly supporting the idea of libertarian freedom, instead of directly opposing the idea of libertarian freedom, as many Calvinists contend.

So by using the exact same "hermeneutics" we would use to come to a deduction of the Trinity, we come with this consistent and predominantly used method of interpreting the Bible, to describing choices as multiple potential outcomes determined by the agent.

A Calvinist cannot "walk through the text" when reading from "the original Hebrew" and stay a consistent exhaustive divine determinist in Genesis chapter 20.

Peace to Spiritual Israel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, let's work on some bad feelings from some difficult interactions.

I know how tough that can be, but let's dig deep and find some charity and longsuffering.

No I’m debating you in theology . You don’t get to challenge me then leave the challenge. I’m looking forward to debating you and putting your theology to rest .

So by using the exact same "hermeneutics" we would use to come to a deduction of the Trinity, we come with this consistent and predominantly used method of interpreting the Bible, to describing choices as multiple potential outcomes determined by the agent.
I think God has created a scenario where certain things are self evident and that's what he'll say at the end of time. Any child who hears the account of Genesis will tell you Adam and Eve had free choice to decide things. Men however put down layer upon layer of complexity to make what is simple misunderstood.

Satan does that. He seeks to make things complex. God demonstrated is wonderful love to Adam and Eve in the beginning by giving them a world of beauty, and gave them dominion over it. That should have sustained them from the devils accusations that he was somehow unfair. It was self evident that God was good and looking at the Gen 1-3 text it is self evident that man had freedom of will and choice. If mankind had freedom of will and choice then they have freedom of will and choice now. If it's good then it's good period.

Free will is the limited ability to select between certain limited options as ordained and circumscribed by God's created order.
To start with there sees to be some confusion as to who started this thread. Civic claims to have started it and yet it is begun by diszerner.

But if this is your definition of free will, why is it called free?
Second since there is a abundance of the use of the word determinism before any meaningful debate can begin (and I don't know if I will join the debate as it is more of the same old same old) I would need to know what it is you mean by determinism. Not what someone else says, not a dictionary definition. But in what way you are applying it to whatever you are applying it to.

Free will is a concept that does not exist. By definition the will is the movement or choice we make by the strongest pressure exerted on our desires. Or strongest desire iow. So I would suggest that people find something more accurate to base an argument on.

Free will is a concept that does not exist. By definition the will is the movement or choice we make by the strongest pressure exerted on our desires.
And so what? If A or B happens to a person still doesn't mean they're not free how they will respond.

And so what? If A or B happens to a person still doesn't mean they're not free how they will respond.
So what? An entire doctrine is built on something that doesn't exist. They will freely make a choice---no one makes the choice for them----but they choose according to the most pressing desire. And the debate as I understand it takes the premise of free will but what they are really talking about is man's will in connection with choosing God of their own gloriously free will. Pat on the back! Fist bump for me!

That denies the scripture the no one does. And notice it says no one does not no one can. So what do you suppose that means?

So what? An entire doctrine is built on something that doesn't exist.
Well your assertion doesn't make it so. I believe it does and see no reason to question it.
They will freely make a choice---no one makes the choice for them----but they choose according to the most pressing desire.
So they choose. So what. If I gave you the choice or riding in a car or taking a train you still chose by your FREE WILL.

Well your assertion doesn't make it so. I believe it does and see no reason to question it.

So they choose. So what. If I gave you the choice or riding in a car or taking a train you still chose by your FREE WILL.
You forgot to address this or answer the question. Par for the course.
That denies the scripture the no one does. And notice it says no one does not no one can. So what do you suppose that means?
But my choice is based on my will being free. It is based on whether I prefer the train or the car. If I prefer the car I won't choose the train. And a whole plethora of other reasons will be included in why I prefer the car and why I don't want the train. So stop confusing the will with whether it is free or not. First of all, it is in bondage to sin until we are placed in Christ. That is the very thing that keeps us separated from God and the very thing that keeps us from choosing God.

You forgot to address this or answer the question. Par for the course.

But my choice is based on my will being free. It is based on whether I prefer the train or the car. If I prefer the car I won't choose the train. And a whole plethora of other reasons will be included in why I prefer the car and why I don't want the train. So stop confusing the will with whether it is free or not. First of all, it is in bondage to sin until we are placed in Christ. That is the very thing that keeps us separated from God and the very thing that keeps us from choosing God.
Makes me think of that song... you know the one Forget the train or the car and just hop on the bus

"The problem is all inside your head"
She said to me
"The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover"

She said, "It's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself