"Works Salvation"

Doug,
How do you explain 1 Corinthians 1:17?
I just talked about that verse in post 885.
"Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brothers and sisters, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am with Paul,” or “I am with Apollos,” or “I am with Cephas,” or “I am with Christ.” 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name! 16 But I did baptize the household of Stephanas also; beyond that, I do not know if I baptized anyone else. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made of no effect."
1 Cor 1:10-17
Paul was sent to baptize ((Remember, Jesus sent all of us; the 11 Apostles, then Paul, then everyone that they taught all the way down to us today; out to baptize everyone who accepts the Gospel (Matt 28:19-20), and notice that he did baptize two individuals and a family), but his primary mission was not to reap the harvest, but to plant the Seed. He did not go out expecting to reap a tremendous harvest. He knew that others would follow him who would water the Seed, and they or others to follow them would reap the harvest as God gave the increase. Some of the Seed he planted sprouted immediately, but most took time to grow in the hearts of the people who heard.

Look to why Paul is glad he did not baptize many. Because they were using the person who baptized them as fuel for divisions in the Church, and there should not be divisions in the Church. Paul was glad that he had not baptized many, because that left his name out of the debate (for the most part).

Yep I keep repeating it, because the error that promotes salvation by conditions, keeps repeating itself. Yet if you or anyone make anything we do a requirement so that God will save us, its an apostate work based, Grace denying message !
False as Jesus asked people over and over again to follow Me, believe in Me and to count the cost.

Those are conditions Jesus requires which are not works. All actions required from God by man.

False dichotomy fallacy alert.

hope this helps !!!

When you contribute something more to the discussion than robotic regurgitation of the same nonsense that has already been disproven through Scripture, then we can continue this discussion, until then, see ya'.
Its nothing else to discuss, you under the law principle of works.

False as Jesus asked people over and over again to follow Me, believe in Me and to count the cost.

Those are conditions Jesus requires which are not works. All actions required from God by man.

False dichotomy fallacy alert.

hope this helps !!!
More works religion !

What I've always wondered about work salvation is how do you know when you've done enough work? Like the Mormon thing. Or Islam, When you become a martyr and blow yourself up and go straight to paradise you've done your work salvation.
We should change it from "work's salvation" to "Salvation Works". I like the Ring of that, Salvation works give it a try what do you have to lose?
A lot of pain and suffering and misery. What do you have to gain? Joy joy joy, overflowing.

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God” (Romans 5:1–2).

I just talked about that verse in post 885.
"Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brothers and sisters, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am with Paul,” or “I am with Apollos,” or “I am with Cephas,” or “I am with Christ.” 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name! 16 But I did baptize the household of Stephanas also; beyond that, I do not know if I baptized anyone else. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made of no effect."
1 Cor 1:10-17
You're pretty sneaky. You really expect me to believe that Paul's "primary mission was not to reap the harvest (in which you include water baptism, I do not) but to plant the seed."? That goes DIRECTLY against the scriptural record of Paul. Paul was "chafing at the bit" to preach the gospel, and thereby assure their salvation. He was NOT "chafing at the bit" to baptize people, so much so, that he said "Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel." Sure, he planted the seed, but that was NOT his primary mission. Contrary to what you just said, his primary mission was to see people get saved, NOT baptized in water.

Romans 1:13 He often planned to go to Rome, so that he could obtain FRUIT (souls saved, not baptized in water) among them, not simply plant seed.
Romans 1:15 So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel (not to baptize) to you also who are in Rome.
Philippians 1:22 If I am to live on, this will mean fruitful labor (preaching the gospel) for me.
1 Corinthians 4:15 For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Fathers bring forth children, that is, get them saved and born again. They were his kids because he brought them to salvation through the gospel, not through baptism. They were his harvest of souls.
1 Corinthians 9:1-2 Are you not my work in the Lord? They were his fruit, not somebody he baptized. Christ didn't send him to baptize.
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 He brought them to salvation, not to water baptism.
Paul knew that after people got saved through his preaching, that they would be baptized, usually by others, but that was not his focus.
"Christ did not send me to baptize", he said. You change the Word of God here and make it say, Christ DID send me to baptize.

It's obvious that seeing people saved was his priority, not baptized in water. You turn this scripture on its head, to make it fit with your false teaching. The harvest does not include water baptism. That comes after you're saved.
Paul was after a harvest, not focused on water baptism, like you are.

Last edited:
BrightFame, did you know that we all will be judged by our works? It's not a good plan to have none.

Also, Jesus said,

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

"... an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment." John 5:28-29

So will you just ignore Jesus' words here?

Even Paul said,

"This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men." Titus 3:8

Paul also said,

"So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith." Galatians 6:10

Will you ignore the words of Paul?

On judgment day, it will not go well for those who ignore Jesus' words or Paul's words. We MUST be zealous for good deeds, Titus 2:14

Read Matthew 25:41-46, to see the end of those who refuse to engage in good deeds. Again, Jesus' words here.

You're pretty sneaky. You really expect me to believe that Paul's "primary mission was not to reap the harvest (in which you include water baptism, I do not) but to plant the seed."? That goes DIRECTLY against the scriptural record of Paul. Paul was "chafing at the bit" to preach the gospel, and thereby assure their salvation. He was NOT "chafing at the bit" to baptize people, so much so, that he said "Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel." Sure, he planted the seed, but that was NOT his primary mission. Contrary to what you just said, his primary mission was to see people get saved, NOT baptized in water.
You know, you are correct, I may have been mistaken in what I wrote before. After rereading the events that occurred in Corinth in Acts, I have realized that there were many who came to believe the Gospel during the time Paul was in Corinth, as Acts 18:1-11 says. Why then did he only baptize two individuals and one family? Based on what he says, I would presume that he took a lesson from the Apostles in Jerusalem in Acts 6:3-4, and he delegated the baptism of new believers to those he had already baptized, so that he could dedicate himself to the teaching of the Gospel (as he says in 1 Thes 1:17). This may have been partially because of his supporting himself through tent making up until Silas and Timothy came to him. After that, they and the others already in the Church did the baptizing while he preached.
Romans 1:13 He often planned to go to Rome, so that he could obtain FRUIT (souls saved, not baptized in water) among them, not simply plant seed.
Romans 1:15 So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel (not to baptize) to you also who are in Rome.
Philippians 1:22 If I am to live on, this will mean fruitful labor (preaching the gospel) for me.
1 Corinthians 4:15 For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Fathers bring forth children, that is, get them saved and born again. They were his kids because he brought them to salvation through the gospel, not through baptism. They were his harvest of souls.
1 Corinthians 9:1-2 Are you not my work in the Lord? They were his fruit, not somebody he baptized. Christ didn't send him to baptize.
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 He brought them to salvation, not to water baptism.
Paul knew that after people got saved through his preaching, that they would be baptized, usually by others, but that was not his focus.
"Christ did not send me to baptize", he said. You change the Word of God here and make it say, Christ DID send me to baptize.

It's obvious that seeing people saved was his priority, not baptized in water. You turn this scripture on its head, to make it fit with your false teaching.
Paul was after a harvest, not focused on water baptism, like you are.
Is the doctor who is present when a woman gives birth the father of all those children? No. It is the woman's husband who is the father. The doctor just assisted in the birth. Just so with the person who baptizes the disciple; he is not necessarily the "father", but just assisting in the new birth. The "father" would be the one who taught the Gospel to them.

Yes, Paul's priority was seeing people saved, in baptism (for that is when and where Scripture says we are saved). He baptized the first few people when he went to a new place, and delegated the baptism of further disciples to those who were already saved. He spent a year and a half in Corinth teaching and preaching, and so the congregation of the Church there was, more than many other places where he spent much less time, his children.

"Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain."1 Corinthians 15:1-2

So Paul says that the Corinthians had the gospel preached to them, they received it, they stood on it, they were saved by it - all BEFORE being baptized.

Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus commanded them to make disciples - AFTER THAT, they were to baptize them. Disciples first - (believers first), baptism next.
Mark 16:16 The Lord did not say, "He who has believed and is not baptized shall be lost."

"Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain."1 Corinthians 15:1-2

So Paul says that the Corinthians had the gospel preached to them, they received it, they stood on it, they were saved by it - all BEFORE being baptized.
You are correct that there is no mention of baptism in this passage. But that is totally irrelevant: there is no mention of repentance or confession here either. The Gospel message must include the instructions that Jesus gave for receiving salvation. If the people in Corinth were saved (and Paul says clearly that they are saved), then they had heard and done everything that was commanded by Jesus (ie: repenting of sin (Acts 3:19), confessing Jesus as Lord (Rom 10:9-10), and baptism (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16).
Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus commanded them to make disciples - AFTER THAT, they were to baptize them. Disciples first - (believers first), baptism next.
Mark 16:16 The Lord did not say, "He who has believed and is not baptized shall be lost."
Matt 28 and Mark 16 are talking about the exact same event, the same time, the same talk Jesus gave just before He ascended into Heaven. And there are several things we can get from them that are not directly in the text.
First, baptism is something that man must do. It is not "Spirit" baptism, because that is not something any man can cause (it is the province of the Holy Spirit and none other), so that cannot be what is commanded here.
Second, it is done to those who have heard the Gospel message and believed (given intellectual assent) to it. It is wholly irrelevant to those who do not believe.
Third, it is the point at which salvation is received. Those who believe AND are baptized will be saved. If baptism were not part of the command, God would not have included it in the command here. This also agrees with what is said in Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14, both of which say that it is during baptism that we die with Christ, have our sins removed, are united with Christ's resurrection, and begin to live the new life in Christ. It is not necessary for Jesus to say, "He who has believed and is not baptized shall be lost." because if you do not obey (be baptized) then you don't really believe, and those who don't believe are already condemned (and remain so).

2 Corinthians 3:14-16 "But their (the sons of Israel) minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. (not in water baptism) But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart;
but whenever a person turns to the Lord (not whenever a person is baptized), the veil is taken away.

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 "And even if the gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

People are lost because of their unbelief, not because they have not been baptized. The only "action" required to be saved is to repent of their rejection of Christ and believe in Him. Salvation is a heart change, not a physical action. Once they've done that, they should be instructed to obey the Lord and be baptized.

2 Corinthians 4:10-11 "always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh."

So the dying of Jesus and the life of Jesus are something we should be experiencing every day as we follow Him. It is not a one-time event that happens when we are baptized. Rather, baptism is a sign of that you have died with Christ and that you now live with Christ - and that you will continue to do so until you die. It is also a sign that you have "clothed yourself with Christ" and a symbol of the miracle of becoming-one-in-Christ with those who have also shared in this life through believing.

2 Corinthians 3:14-16 "But their (the sons of Israel) minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. (not in water baptism) But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart;
but whenever a person turns to the Lord (not whenever a person is baptized), the veil is taken away.
And how does Scripture say we enter into the Lord Jesus? Gal 3:26-29 says that we are baptized into Christ, and in so doing put on Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 "And even if the gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

People are lost because of their unbelief, not because they have not been baptized. The only "action" required to be saved is to repent of their rejection of Christ and believe in Him. Salvation is a heart change, not a physical action. Once they've done that, they should be instructed to obey the Lord and be baptized.
Again, that is not what Scripture says. Acts 2:37 says that the people listening to Peter had already believed, they had been "pierced to the heart". Not only had they believed, but they were remorseful, and wanted to be saved from the penalty for missing the Messiah when He came. So they asked, "What shall we do [to be saved]?" You would tell them that they need do nothing. They have already believed, so they are already saved. But that is not what Peter, through the instruction of the Holy Spirit, told them. He said, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ in order to receive the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." He knew that they had not yet been saved, had not yet been forgiven, and were still in need of obeying the Gospel.
2 Corinthians 4:10-11 "always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh."

So the dying of Jesus and the life of Jesus are something we should be experiencing every day as we follow Him. It is not a one-time event that happens when we are baptized. Rather, baptism is a sign of that you have died with Christ and that you now live with Christ - and that you will continue to do so until you die. It is also a sign that you have "clothed yourself with Christ" and a symbol of the miracle of becoming-one-in-Christ with those who have also shared in this life through believing.
And again, that is not what Scripture says. Both Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14 says that it is during baptism when we first encounter the death of Christ, and are united with it. Yes, we must continually die to self and sin, and continually be united with Jesus' resurrection, but the first time that happens is during baptism, not before. No, we don't need to be baptized daily, but we do need to remember our death to sin and union with Christ's resurrection, which is part of what Communion is about (but that is a discussion for another thread).

Just as the communion elements represent the body and the blood of Jesus, so baptism represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.
Through the blood of Christ, and by an act of God alone, He pardons, removes, remits, and puts away our sins, when we hear the gospel, repent, and believe. This is what we call salvation. Baptism, on the other hand, is an act of man, which makes it a work, though in obedience to the command of God, which represents what Jesus went through to purchase our salvation, and our identification with it.

Last edited:
Just as the communion elements represent the body and the blood of Jesus, so baptism represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.
Through the blood of Christ, and by an act of God alone, He pardons, removes, remits, and puts away our sins, when we hear the gospel, repent, and believe. This is what we call salvation. Baptism, on the other hand, is an act of man, which makes it a work, though in obedience to the command of God, which represents what Jesus went through to purchase our salvation, and our identification with it.
You continually want to explain away God's command in order to make His Word fit your doctrine. It is our doctrine that must change to fit His command. Yes, baptism physically represents and depicts our Spiritual union with Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection, because it is the event during which that union takes place. Col 2 and Rom 6 are both very clear that it is during baptism that we are united with Jesus by the Holy Spirit. So we cannot be united to Him before baptism if it is during baptism that the union takes place. Our sins are not pardoned, removed, remitted, or put away until the Holy Spirit cuts them from us (in the Circumcision without hands) during baptism.

I could say the same to you. Christianity 101. We're not saved by works. Water baptism is clearly a work (made with hands). Just because Jesus commanded it, that doesn't mean it ceases being a work. Yet you redefine a work and say that baptism is NOT a work. What scripture says that?
What you declare is very clear in Col 2 and Rom 6 is not so at all. We are symbolically united with Jesus in baptism, representing our new birth in Jesus, our actual uniting with Him by the Holy Spirit (a circumcision made without hands). If that were not true, then we would be baptizing nonChristians, which goes directly against the commands of Jesus.

"Yes, baptism physically represents and depicts our Spiritual union with Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection, because it is the event during which that union takes place."

You're a little mixed up here. How could physical baptism represent something that takes place during physical baptism? That would not be a representation, would it?

This is what happens when you try to make His word fit your doctrine.

Last edited:
"Works salvation" is a term that gets thown around a lot on forums as this one.

1) What is "works salvation"? How does one define "works salvation" according to the Bible?

2) What is an example from the Bible of "works salvation"?

3) Was Noah's work in building the ark "to the saving of his house" (Heb 11:7) a "works salvation"?

Is the above link correct in saying that "works salvation" is man trying to control his own eternal destiny? Is it true that man has no control, no role at all in his own eternal destiny? Did Noah have no control, no role at all in the saving of his house?
Biblical works salvation is trying to establish your own righteousness-blamelessness before God by performing the rituals and rules of the Jewish Law. Salvation by faith is believing God gives you righteousness-blamelessness as a gift (ref, Rom 5:15-17) upon believing and confessing Jesus Christ as Lord.

But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ." (Rom 5:15-17)

The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 9:30-31, "Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law."

He also penned, "For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes." (Rom 10:2-4)

A plain example between righteousness of the Law of Moses and of faith is Romans 3:19-24, "Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus," (Rom 3:19-24)

The heroes of faith such as Noah, were saved by faith-trusting God. "By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."

Works salvation is trying to do something one cannot possible do, be blameless of sin before God by following the Law.
Faith salvation is believing God to give you as a gift blamelessness before Him.

God Bless

I could say the same to you. Christianity 101. We're not saved by works. Water baptism is clearly a work (made with hands). Just because Jesus commanded it, that doesn't mean it ceases being a work. Yet you redefine a work and say that baptism is NOT a work. What scripture says that?
You operate on the assumption that there is no action that man must take that leads to our reception of salvation. Where do you get that assumption? There is no Scripture that says that, because that assumption is in direct contradiction of Rom 10:9-10.
What you declare is very clear in Col 2 and Rom 6 is not so at all. We are symbolically united with Jesus in baptism, representing our new birth in Jesus, our actual uniting with Him by the Holy Spirit (a circumcision made without hands). If that were not true, then we would be baptizing nonChristians, which goes directly against the commands of Jesus.
Baptism is not just a symbol, it is the entry point. Read the Scriptures again:
"How shall we who died to sin [when did we die to sin?] still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? [We died to sin when we were baptized into Christ Jesus and His death] 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life. 5 For IF we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for the one who has died is freed from sin." (Rom 6:2-7)
Notice that the one who is baptized is baptized into Jesus and into His death. And if one has been united with Him in the likeness of His death, then he has died to sin and is o longer a slave to sin. Thus, it is in baptism that we are united with His death (not before), and it is in baptism that we are freed from sin (not before).
"For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over every ruler and authority; 11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision performed without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ, [when does this happen? It happens when we] 12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which [in baptism] you were also raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our wrongdoings" (Col 2:9-13)
It is during baptism that the "circumcision performed without hands" takes place. It is during baptism that we are buried with Him, and we are also raised from the dead with Him because of our faith in the working of God. He said that everyone who believes in Jesus and is baptized will be saved. The one who trusts in Him, will obey this command trusting that He will keep His Word, and save us.

Where is the command not to baptize nonChristians?
"Yes, baptism physically represents and depicts our Spiritual union with Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection, because it is the event during which that union takes place."

You're a little mixed up here. How could physical baptism represent something that takes place during physical baptism? That would not be a representation, would it?
Not mixed up at all. Our baptism is the physical representation of being buried with Christ and arising to new life in Christ. When we are passing through the water the Holy Spirit is entering into our life, changing us, and removing our sin just as is said in the passages above.

Back
Top Bottom