What is Communion ?

i agree one part it is symbolic. but Jesus was teaching servanthood when he placed the towel around his waste. that became a servants badge . when company came in from the outside . the servant would wash their feet , it has nothing to do with sin in foot washing. i am putting the foot washing scriptures in . i will highlight some things i would like you to consider.

13 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;

3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;

4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. the servants badge Jesus was humbling himself

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
the last foot washing i was in was back at Easter time. it was very spiritual we had a missionary Baptist pastor with us pardon the red colors i cant get it to change back to black.
as we washed feet many prayed for the person of whose feet they washed . all i can say you would have had to be there.
the free will baptist has foot washing as a ordnance. i dont think foot washing has to be done every time with communion .

it should be up to the Church i also feel there is nothing wrong with sitting out on foot washing.. but one thing it should never be looked at as washing dirty feet. yes there are other ways the humble just like there are other ways to do in remembrance what Christ done for us.

I have also had the argument it was never included in paul's writing and many denoms will not practice foot washing.. i know lots southern baptist dont. this person /me does if done in the right spirit . its a wonderful opportunity to experience . peter had pride about him Christ was teaching him /plus it was the last thing he did for the disciples . before his death
Unless you're my husband or a Podiatrist you're not getting anywhere near my feet. :ROFLMAO:

i dont make jokes about foot washing one men don't wash other women's feet in Church. foot washing is very much Bible . being a podiatrist has nothing to do with what Jesus taught
I'm just not into foot washing. I'll take care of my own personal Hygiene. As for your post I never mentioned gender and I know the definition of a Podiatrist.

As far as foot washing in the Bible... we live in a different culture. Today's culture has advanced enough where we have shoes and socks, sidewalks that aren't dusty. We have automobiles that drive around on pave roads. So why would we need our feet washed?

Now you could make a correlation to what Jesus did and sin.

When Jesus washes the disciples' feet, it is a symbolic reminder about His authority to forgive sin (Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10). The disciples, just like any of us, were sinful and in need of redemption. Thankfully, Jesus knelt down to show that He is more than willing to wash us clean (Psalm 51:1-12).

So today when we get contaminated by sin we ask for forgiveness through prayer.

Once we are saved what follows is the lifelong process of sanctification: a daily washing away of the stain of sin. As we walk through the world, some of the world’s spiritual filth will cling to us, and that needs to be washed away—forgiven by Christ

In the early Church the Lord’s Supper was practiced, but they did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings.

As far as foot washing in the Bible... we live in a different culture. Today's culture has advanced enough where we have shoes and socks, sidewalks that aren't dusty. We have automobiles that drive around on pave roads. So why would we need our feet washed?
Glad you asked i will show in scripture and before it goes farther than what the intent is. we dont do it every day and yes symbolical it is . i will highlight few things .
13 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;

3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;

4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

i highlighted the key things in red.. yes in Bible days feet got dusty from the dessert. when anyone came in the SEARVANT of the house washed the there feet .. when Jesus took the towel to wipe dry the feet. the towel became a servants badge . Jesus was teaching humility and serving others the last foot washing we had was a very spiritual time . the ladies in one room the men in the other. while feet was being washed many said prayers over the person whose feet was being washed. foot washing in Church is not about washing feet with soap and water .

to the natural mind with some it grosses people out.. but if we look at it with spiritual eyes and mind it can be a humbling experience.

its the same thing with communion many simply will not partake of it. if a person is Lost then the Lord supper is not for them.

some denoms will not do footwashing. they turn there nose up at it. its is very Bible but a choice whole foot washing is about being humble and serving . its no different than taking care of our family members who are sick

its not a cardinal sin not to wash feet

Glad you asked i will show in scripture and before it goes farther than what the intent is. we dont do it every day and yes symbolical it is . i will highlight few things .

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

i highlighted the key things in red.. yes in Bible days feet got dusty from the dessert. when anyone came in the SEARVANT of the house washed the there feet .. when Jesus took the towel to wipe dry the feet. the towel became a servants badge . Jesus was teaching humility and serving others the last foot washing we had was a very spiritual time . the ladies in one room the men in the other. while feet was being washed many said prayers over the person whose feet was being washed. foot washing in Church is not about washing feet with soap and water .

to the natural mind with some it grosses people out.. but if we look at it with spiritual eyes and mind it can be a humbling experience.

its the same thing with communion many simply will not partake of it. if a person is Lost then the Lord supper is not for them.

some denoms will not do footwashing. they turn there nose up at it. its is very Bible but a choice whole foot washing is about being humble and serving . its no different than taking care of our family members who are sick

its not a cardinal sin not to wash feet
You only quoted part of the post you left this part out.

Now you could make a correlation to what Jesus did and sin.

When Jesus washes the disciples' feet, it is a symbolic reminder about His authority to forgive sin (Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10). The disciples, just like any of us, were sinful and in need of redemption. Thankfully, Jesus knelt down to show that He is more than willing to wash us clean (Psalm 51:1-12).

So today when we get contaminated by sin we ask for forgiveness through prayer.

Once we are saved what follows is the lifelong process of sanctification: a daily washing away of the stain of sin. As we walk through the world, some of the world’s spiritual filth will cling to us, and that needs to be washed away—forgiven by Christ

In the early Church the Lord’s Supper was practiced, but they did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings.

When Jesus washes the disciples' feet, it is a symbolic reminder about His authority to forgive sin (Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10). The disciples, just like any of us, were sinful and in need of redemption.
sigh it had nothing to do at that point with forgiveness of sins foot washing is Not a ordnance the free will Baptist has in there's. if you chose not to do foot washing in Church so be it.. BUT dont be closed minded

What? So some demons won't do foot washing but some demons will? That's in the Bible? And doing a ceremonial foot washing is like taking care of a sick family member? I think I'll stick with this one.

Unless you're my husband or a Podiatrist you're not getting anywhere near my feet.:ROFLMAO:

sigh it had nothing to do at that point with forgiveness of sins foot washing is Not a ordnance the free will Baptist has in there's. if you chose not to do foot washing in Church so be it.. BUT dont be closed minded
Nobody's being closed minded so don't be coming up with accusations. Look what Jesus said it does have to do with sin.

When we come to Christ for salvation, He condescends to wash our sins away, and we can be sure that His forgiveness is permanent and complete (2 Corinthians 5:21). But, just as a bathed person needed to wash his feet periodically, we need periodic cleansing from the effects of living in the flesh in a sin-cursed world. This is sanctification, done by the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, through the “washing of water by the Word” Got?

Nobody's being closed minded so don't be coming up with accusations. Look what Jesus said it does have to do with sin.

When we come to Christ for salvation, He condescends to wash our sins away, and we can be sure that His forgiveness is permanent and complete (2 Corinthians 5:21). But, just as a bathed person needed to wash his feet periodically, we need periodic cleansing from the effects of living in the flesh in a sin-cursed world. This is sanctification, done by the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, through the “washing of water by the Word” Got?
foot washing has nothing to do with sins being forgiven nor is it sanctification nor is it justification which is being forgiven.. Edit when peter objected to his feet being washed. as usual Peter spoke to soon . he simply failed to see what Christ was teaching .

Last edited by a moderator:
Communion... the Lord's Supper what a great topic. But as with most things biblical it has been the subject of great debate and controversy in the Christian Church for a number of centuries. Although there are only two standpoints with regard to the communion of the Lord’s Supper.

The first is the typical Catholic point of view.

They believe that, as the result of the action of the priest, the bread is changed actually into the physical body of the Lord Jesus Christ. That view is called Transubstantiation.

Now the Lutherans have a slightly different view. They do not believe in transubstantiation but in what is called consubstantiation. They say that the Catholics are wrong and there is no change in the substance of the bread. The bread still remains bread, but the body of the Lord becomes joined to it.

I hold to the view that the bread used in communion is just that, "bread". It's more important what the bread signifies.

To me the Lord’s Supper is a declaration and a sign of the believer’s participation in the crucified Christ. We are in communion with Him. It reminds us of that and of our union with Him and, therefore, of our participation in His death.

In John 6:53–57, Jesus says, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” Upon hearing these words, many of Jesus’ followers said, “This is a hard teaching”, and many of them actually stopped following Him that day

Marriage is the formal expression of the loving bond of commitment between an earthly couple. Communion / fellowship is the formal expression of that same bond within an earthly group or between two earthly groups.

Both the earthly marriage and earthly communion / fellowship are fulfilled perfectly in the Heavenly Marriage of YHWH with HIS Creation, the church, which will fulfill HIS purpose in our creation perfectly.

What Christians commonly call “communion” is an ordinance started by Jesus during the Last Supper with His disciples. Communion is a way for believers to outwardly show their love for and fellowship with Christ, to remember the atoning sacrifice that Jesus made for them, and to look forward to the time when He will partake with us in the kingdom. Communion is also known as the Lord’s supper or the Lord’s table.
One of the AG Churches that we were members of made it a practice for the congregation to exchange cups, speaking a blessing to the one you exchanged with. That always struck me as a good physical demonstration of the body unity of the Christian community.

One of the AG Churches that we were members of made it a practice for the congregation to exchange cups, speaking a blessing to the one you exchanged with. That always struck me as a good physical demonstration of the body unity of the Christian community.
We did that to back in the 80’s at a Christian Missionary Alliance Church

Back
Top Bottom