Those who deny the Lord Jesus is God (=YHWH) are not saved (2 Corinthians 11:4)

@MatthewG and @Matthias are different members/posters and I know them both from another forum. I disagree with them both on several different doctrines. And Matthew and Mattias disagree with each other on several different doctrines. We all believe some truth and we all believe some error. No one has perfect understanding of the Bible. We can all learn things from others and gain insight. On the other hand we must all have discernment and take whatever someone says with a grain of salt and be good Berean's and search the scriptures to see if what someone says is scriptural and biblical.

@MatthewG and @Matthias are different members/posters and I know them both from another forum. I disagree with them both on several different doctrines. And Matthew and Mattias disagree with each other on several different doctrines. We all believe some truth and we all believe some error. No one has perfect understanding of the Bible. We can all learn things from others and gain insight. On the other hand we must all have discernment and take whatever someone says with a grain of salt and be good Berean's and search the scriptures to see if what someone says is scriptural and biblical.

In the "time of the Gentiles' its not required that a believer have perfect understanding of the "bible".

There are many parts of the Bible that will never be understood perfectly, as they are too deep for shallow man's comprehension or discernment.

However, what is required is that we "all come to the same mind of faith"... "as many as be perfect"...

And that is simply to understand Pauline Theology, perfectly.

This begins with :

Hebrews 13:9

Romans 3:21-28

2 Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17

Romans 4:8

Those are absolute "must discern" "must study"..

In the "time of the Gentiles' its not required that a believer have perfect understanding of the "bible".

There are many parts of the Bible that will never be understood perfectly, as they are too deep for shallow man's comprehension or discernment.

However, what is required is that we "all come to the same mind of faith"... "as many as be perfect"...

And that is simply to understand Pauline Theology, perfectly.

This begins with :

Hebrews 13:9

Romans 3:21-28

2 Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17

Romans 4:8

Those are absolute "must discern" "must study"..
Yes there is a core belief that contains essentials to our faith that has been once and for all delivered to the saints. There are what the N.T. calls sound doctrine. These are where born again believers should all be unified.

Maybe a thread in needed :)

“What John’s audiences would have found unexpected was the climax of the prologue:

And the Word became flesh and dwelt (eskenosen) among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth. …No one has ever seen God. The only begotten God who is closest to his Father’s heart, has made him known (John 1.14, 18.) … The claim was astounding: the utterance by which God created the world and brought his purpose to effect had become incarnate in Jesus.”

(Dunn, ibid., pp. 348, 349)

“1.18 presses home the point. John takes for granted the fundamental ‘given’ of most current sophisticated theistic systems: that God, or the ultimate God, was beyond human conception. Certainly the assertion that ‘No one has ever seen God‘ was a fundamental axiom of Israel’s religion and the basis of its abhorrence of idolatry. But Logos theology had already provided a way of envisaging how the unseen God had nevertheless made himself known - through the word that he uttered, in creation, in revelation, in redemption. And John simply (!) takes the thought one step further in claiming that Jesus was now the one who made the unseen God visible, the unknowable God knowable (cf. Col. 1.15).”

(Dunn, Ibid., p. 349)

Would highly agree. Love both of you, we do all differ on some things.

“So, when John began his Gospel with ‘In the beginning was the logos’, it would speak immediately to a wide spectrum of any audience listening to his Gospel being read. Jewish listeners would think simply of a prophetic word which made God’s will known, but also of the powerful utterance of God by which he made the world and actually brought his will to effect. Greek listeners would similarly think of the divine reason which permeated and sustained the world and by living in accordance with which they could direct their lives to best effect. Likewise, when John continued, ‘The logos was with God and was God’, both sets of listeners would find this unexceptional. For the logos was God’s own thought and utterance.”

(James Dunn, Ibid., p. 348)
Dunn continues,

“And John’s further claim that ‘All things came into being through (the logos)‘ would similarly accord with the presuppositions of most of his audiences. This was how the divine was present in the world and to humankind. This was how God interacted with his creation and his people Israel. The Alexandrian Jewish philosopher Philo shows clearly how fruitfully Jewish and Greek (Platonic and Stoic) understanding of the logos could be combined, to envisage the Word/Logos almost as a divine agent of God, a plenipotentiary who made the invisible, transcendent God knowable and immanent.”

(Dunn, Ibid., p. 348)
The Greek speaking Alexandrian Jews were already using the term Logos in the LXX. When Philo tried to marry that term to Greek philosophy, he was severely shuned by the Jews. John just followed LXX convention and never appealed to Philo.

Furthermore, the Alexandrian Jews already had the LXX that wrote of OT Theophanies. So it just took a consultation of their scriptures to verify that the Logos of God was God.

What's happening here amongst some historians is that there exists a severe ignorance of the vital importance that the LXX played in the conversion of the Jews to Christianity.

The Greek speaking Alexandrian Jews were already using the term Logos in the LXX. When Philo tried to marry that term to Greek philosophy, he was severely shuned by the Jews. John just followed LXX convention and never appealed to Philo.

Furthermore, the Alexandrian Jews already had the LXX that wrote of OT Theophanies. So it just took a consultation of their scriptures to verify that the Logos of God was God.

What's happening here amongst some historians is that there exists a severe ignorance of the vital importance that the LXX played in the conversion of the Jews to Christianity.

Dunn is not in your league.

“1.18 presses home the point. John takes for granted the fundamental ‘given’ of most current sophisticated theistic systems: that God, or the ultimate God, was beyond human conception. Certainly the assertion that ‘No one has ever seen God‘ was a fundamental axiom of Israel’s religion and the basis of its abhorrence of idolatry. But Logos theology had already provided a way of envisaging how the unseen God had nevertheless made himself known - through the word that he uttered, in creation, in revelation, in redemption. And John simply (!) takes the thought one step further in claiming that Jesus was now the one who made the unseen God visible, the unknowable God knowable (cf. Col. 1.15).”

(Dunn, Ibid., p. 349)

@Johann

”Jesus is the self-expression of God.”

(Dunn, ibid., p. 349)

Seems like a good read-I can just sit here and drool and concur with your statement.

Dunn‘s commentary on John’s prologue is brilliant. He understands the OT / Jewish background John is coming from and with. His fellow trinitarians have slandered him, just as they slandered Tyndale and others.

“Since the Logos christology of John is not explicit in the rest of the Gospel, despite the links to his dominant Son christology, it is important to recognize that the prologue could be more accurately described as Wisdom christology. The reason why John preferred the prologue’s focus on the Word could simply be that he preferred the masculine Logos to the feminine Sophia (‘wisdom’), though the wider familiarity with logos outside Judaism was probably a factor too.

The fact is, however, that apart from Philo, Wisdom was the more commonly used term in early Judaism’s reflection on God’s interaction with his creation and his people Israel. The parallels between the Johannine prologue and the reflection on Wisdom are more extensive than those with Logos. …

Obviously logos and sophia were equivalent or alternative overlapping ways of speaking about God‘s interaction with the world he made and with his people - …”

(Dunn, Ibid., pp. 349, 350)

And yet this is not available-says me strumming my guitar @Matthias

You keep strumming and I’ll keep pecking. Though I’m going to take a break. I’ve been at this almost non-stop today for the past 10 hours.

With your background, what Dunn is saying should be music to your ears.

You keep strumming and I’ll keep pecking. Though I’m going to take a break. I’ve been at this almost non-stop today for the past 10 hours.
I'm signing off brother-2.45 AM and hopefully someone might hear my plight in helping me with these sources I've never heard of before-I grew up learning everything Jewish and have had conversations with many rabbis in the בתי ספר and Shul's- with some help.
Interesting conversation with you @Matthias.
Later.
J.

What we have here is a clash of history between Diaspora/Alexandrian Jews and Pharisaic Jews. I'm on the side of the Diaspora/Alexandrian Jews who were the first to side with the Apostles.

Alexandria, Egypt. Home sweet home territory for orthodox trinitarianism.

Back
Top Bottom