The Origin : Of SIN by Behold

But you don't have a clue what I'm trying to convey to you.
J.

You are "conveying" to me, that you "sin, confess, and repeat", which is why you live in 1 John 1:9 and are trying to prove it, again.
You've even went so far in a previous post..... as to teach that this type of broken faith and ruined Christianity, is "how to be mature".

So, that is what you have "conveyed" to us all, and will again, @Johann

THERE you got away with slandering members and misrepresenting them with your tongue-not HERE.

What i do, with you, is just point out what you teach., vs, what Paul teaches, for the last 2 yrs that ive noticed your redundant cut and paste, posts.

You feel this is "slander" but i assure you its not at all, ... and wont be the next time.
Believe it.

You are "conveying" to me, that you "sin, confess, and repeat", which is why you live in 1 John 1:9 and are trying to prove it, again.
You've even went so far in a previous post..... as to teach that this type of broken faith and ruined Christianity, is "how to be mature".

So, that is what you have "conveyed" to us all, and will again, @Johann
1:9 "confess" This is a compound Greek term from "to speak" and "the same." Believers continue to agree with God that they have violated His holiness (cf. Rom. 3:23). It is PRESENT TENSE, which implies ongoing action. Confession implies

a specific naming of sins (1 John 1:9)
a public admitting of sins (cf. Matt. 10:32; James 5:16)
a turning from specific sins (cf. Matt. 3:6; Mark 1:5; Acts 19:18; James 5:16)

1 John uses this term quite often (cf. 1 John 1:9; 4:2,3,15; 2 John 7). Jesus' death is the means of forgiveness, but sinful mankind must respond and continue to respond in faith to be saved (cf. John 1:12; 3:16).

"our sins" Notice the PLURAL. This refers to specific acts of sin.

"He is faithful" This refers to God the Father (cf. Deut. 7:9; 32:4; Ps. 36:5; 40:10; 89:1,2,5,8; 92:2; 119:90; Isa. 49:7; Rom. 3:3; 1 Cor. 1:9; 10:13; 2 Cor. 1:18; 1 Thess. 5:24; 2 Tim. 2:13). God the Father's unchanging, merciful, faithful character is our surest hope! This phrase accentuates God's faithfulness to His Word (cf. Heb. 10:23;11:11). This may also refer to God's New Covenant promise made in Jer. 31:34, which promised the forgiveness of sins.

"and righteous" This term is unusual in a context related to a holy God freely pardoning unholy people. However, this is theologically accurate because God takes our sins seriously, yet He has provided the means for our forgiveness in the substitutionary death of Christ (cf. Rom. 3:21-31).

"forgive . . . cleanse" These are both AORIST ACTIVE SUBJUNCTIVES. These two terms are synonymous in this context; they refer both to the salvation of the lost and to the ongoing cleansing necessary for fellowship with God (i.e., when God forgives, God fogets, cf. Isa. 1:18; 38:17; 43:25; 44:22; Ps. 103:3,11-13; Mic. 7:19). The false teachers who denied the gospel, needed salvation. Believers who continue to commit acts of sin need restoration of fellowship. John seems to address the first group implicitly and the second explicitly.

1:10 "If we say" See note at 1 John 1:6.

"we have not sinned" This is a PERFECT ACTIVE INDICATIVE which implies that one has never sinned in the past nor in the present. The term "sinned" is SINGULAR and refers to sin in general. The Greek term means "to miss the mark." This means that sin is both the commission and the omission of the things revealed in God's Word. The false teachers claimed salvation was related only to knowledge, not to life.

"we make Him a liar" (cf. Rom. 3:9-18,23; 5:1; 11:32). Either God (cf. Rom. 3:4) or those who claim sinlessness, is lying.

"His word is not in us" This involves the dual aspect of the term "logos," both as a message and a person (cf. 1 John 1:1,8; John 14:6). John often refers to this as "truth."
Utley.

I can go deeper but I don't expect you to understand, yet.
J.

1:9 "confess" This is a compound Greek ter
J.

Is there anything worse on a "christian" forum than someone who can't read Koine Greek,........ can't read it, can't speak it, and yet... tries to use this as their "proof"... as if they are a Greek Text authority.....???????????????????

Yes, but not much.

As, This is so : FAKE.

Its really quite sad. @Johann

So, here is the thing..

A born again Christian is spiritually joined to God and Christ as "in Christ" and "one with God", and there is no sin found there.

A born again Christian is "seated in Heavenly places", and there is NO SIN found there.

So, if you have sin, you are not that one, i just described.

See, unbelievers have sin........but the Born again have this.......>"the Righteousness of God in Christ", ... "the Gift of Righteousness' and there is NO SIN found there, @Johann

Believe it, and try to understand that this eternal reality is a direct consequence of the Cross of Christ that is "Eternal Redemption", that is the Blood Atonement, that is the New Covenant.

If there is anything worse on a forum then someone who can't read Koine Greek,........ can't read it, can't speak it, and yet... tries to use this as their "proof"... as if they are a Greek Text authority.

This is so : FAKE.
Then it is high time you should learn to rightly cutting straight the D'var of YHVH-I have done so for over 30 years and still study-you see, this is the fundamental misunderstanding-you think I consult selective exegetical commentaries to stimulate me, in my intellectual understanding-I proof read whatever I post-and I am no scholar, but it is a tremendous "tool" in opening the Scriptures with the assistance of the Holy Spirit.
This is going to get me into trouble-but the only "fake" I see around here is you since we are to try the spirits.

J.

Then it is high time you should learn to rightly cutting straight the D'var of YHVH-I have done so for over 30 years and still study-you see, this is the fundamental misunderstanding-

Its not really correct to present yourself as 30 yrs, studying, as if this is proof of real Theological understanding... when you just stopped being a HyperCalvinist, a little while back., and are now caught up in "water baptism" cult nonsense.
'
ive told you many times to put down your commentaries and study Paul.
And if you would, you'd be able to get out of your theological issues, over time.. as you have so much to unlearn.. @Johann .
STOP following the NEXT MAN and then the NEXT ONE........unless that person is all about PAUL, as i have shown you, over and over.

Paul said......."be a follower of ME"... "as i follow CHRIST">.. = the walk of Faith, and Theology and Doctrine.
You have to do this......and you have not yet, in 30 yrs.

Listen..
There is "studying and never able to come to the truth".

You've been doing it for 30 yrs.
Recently you are now deep into "water baptism" as your "next" Truth.

So, can you give us a break.
Can you take one yourself, until you figure out how to find the TRUTH, and stay there.

Just.....Start here, @Johann

Hebrews 13:9
Romans 3:21-28
2nd Corinthians 5:19
John 3:17

Romans 4:8

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not really correct to present yourself as 30 yrs, studying, as if this is proof of real Theological understanding... when you just stopped being a HyperCalvinist, a little while back., and are now caught up in "water baptism" cult nonsense.
'
And if you would, you'd be able to get out of your theological issues, over time.. as you have so much to unlearn.. @Johann .
STOP following the NEXT MAN and then the NEXT ONE........unless that person is all about PAUL, as i have shown you, over and over.

Paul said......."be a follower of ME"... "as i follow CHRIST">.. = the walk of Faith, and Theology and Doctrine.

Listen..

Can you take one yourself, until you figure out how to find the TRUTH, and stay there.

This time you ain't going to get away with this and your slandering.
I am NOT a Calvinist.

'

Listen..

Lets not call anyone a cult or cult member or cultist. He also said he is not a calvinist. It seems the two of you have previous history outside of the forum. Lets not bring that into here. Thank you for your cooperation.

You believe in sinless perfection-right?

1Jn 1:9 IfG1437 Conj ean ἐὰν we should confessG3670 G5725 V-PSA-1P homologōmen ὁμολογῶμεν theG3588 Art-AFP tas τὰς sinsG266 N-AFP hamartias ἁμαρτίας of us,G1473 PPro-G1P hēmōn, ἡμῶν, faithfulG4103 Adj-NMS pistos πιστός He isG1510 V-PIA-3S estin ἐστιν andG2532 Conj kai καὶ just,G1342 Adj-NMS dikaios, δίκαιος, thatG2443 Conj hina ἵνα He may forgiveG863 G5632 V-ASA-3S aphē ἀφῇ usG1473 PPro-D1P hēmin ἡμῖν [our]G3588 Art-AFP tas τὰς sins,G266 N-AFP hamartias, ἁμαρτίας, andG2532 Conj kai καὶ might cleanseG2511 G5661 V-ASA-3S katharisē καθαρίσῃ usG1473 PPro-A1P hēmas ἡμᾶς fromG575 Prep apo ἀπὸ allG3956 Adj-GFS pasēs πάσης unrighteousness.G93 N-GFS adikias. ἀδικίας.
ὁμολογῶμεν
Transliteration: homologōmen
Morphology: V-PSA-1P
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's no.: G3670 (ὁμολογέω)
Meaning: (a) to promise, agree, (b) to confess, (c) to publicly declare, (d) a Hebraism, to praise, celebrate.

If we confess (ean homologōmen). Third-class condition again with ean and present active subjunctive of homologeō, “if we keep on confessing.” Confession of sin to God and to one another (Jas_5:16) is urged throughout the N.T. from John the Baptist (Mar_1:5) on.
J.
You believe Jesus didn't take away our sin and in Him there is no sin, don't you. You believe that is a lie. I bet you believe you have sin in your body parts and won't win over sin until after you are dead and get a new body.

There is no such thing as sinless perfection, because sinlessness is at the beginning when Jesus takes away our sin, and there is no sin in Him, 1 John 3:4-5, and perfection is at the end of our life when through our life as a Christian we mature in all the fruit of the Spirit to perfection. Rowan, be careful to not side with doctrines of demons that speak against the work of Jesus in our life, like many do who mock sinless perfection. Those people don't even believe in sinlessness, thus don't believe in 1 John 3:4-9. Jesus destroyed the work of the devil so we cannot commit major sins. It is just not in our new nature to want to steal, murder and commit adultery with someone else's spouse.

We can't even think about it or it's the same as actually doing it. You got to have some good mind control. If somebody cut you off in the freeway you can't even call him or her a fool.
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
That sounds good to me, Makes me breathe the sigh of relief. It makes me think of that song

When I think of the goodness of Jesus and all that he's done for me my soul Cries Out Hallelujah and I thank God for saving me.

1:9 "confess" This is a compound Greek term from "to speak" and "the same." Believers continue to agree with God that they have violated His holiness (cf. Rom. 3:23). It is PRESENT TENSE, which implies ongoing action. Confession implies

a specific naming of sins (1 John 1:9)
a public admitting of sins (cf. Matt. 10:32; James 5:16)
a turning from specific sins (cf. Matt. 3:6; Mark 1:5; Acts 19:18; James 5:16)

1 John uses this term quite often (cf. 1 John 1:9; 4:2,3,15; 2 John 7). Jesus' death is the means of forgiveness, but sinful mankind must respond and continue to respond in faith to be saved (cf. John 1:12; 3:16).

"our sins" Notice the PLURAL. This refers to specific acts of sin.

"He is faithful" This refers to God the Father (cf. Deut. 7:9; 32:4; Ps. 36:5; 40:10; 89:1,2,5,8; 92:2; 119:90; Isa. 49:7; Rom. 3:3; 1 Cor. 1:9; 10:13; 2 Cor. 1:18; 1 Thess. 5:24; 2 Tim. 2:13). God the Father's unchanging, merciful, faithful character is our surest hope! This phrase accentuates God's faithfulness to His Word (cf. Heb. 10:23;11:11). This may also refer to God's New Covenant promise made in Jer. 31:34, which promised the forgiveness of sins.

"and righteous" This term is unusual in a context related to a holy God freely pardoning unholy people. However, this is theologically accurate because God takes our sins seriously, yet He has provided the means for our forgiveness in the substitutionary death of Christ (cf. Rom. 3:21-31).

"forgive . . . cleanse" These are both AORIST ACTIVE SUBJUNCTIVES. These two terms are synonymous in this context; they refer both to the salvation of the lost and to the ongoing cleansing necessary for fellowship with God (i.e., when God forgives, God fogets, cf. Isa. 1:18; 38:17; 43:25; 44:22; Ps. 103:3,11-13; Mic. 7:19). The false teachers who denied the gospel, needed salvation. Believers who continue to commit acts of sin need restoration of fellowship. John seems to address the first group implicitly and the second explicitly.

1:10 "If we say" See note at 1 John 1:6.

"we have not sinned" This is a PERFECT ACTIVE INDICATIVE which implies that one has never sinned in the past nor in the present. The term "sinned" is SINGULAR and refers to sin in general. The Greek term means "to miss the mark." This means that sin is both the commission and the omission of the things revealed in God's Word. The false teachers claimed salvation was related only to knowledge, not to life.

"we make Him a liar" (cf. Rom. 3:9-18,23; 5:1; 11:32). Either God (cf. Rom. 3:4) or those who claim sinlessness, is lying.

"His word is not in us" This involves the dual aspect of the term "logos," both as a message and a person (cf. 1 John 1:1,8; John 14:6). John often refers to this as "truth."
Utley.

I can go deeper but I don't expect you to understand, yet.
J.

In Romans, the first eight chapters is about the Law vs. the Spirit. In other words, the Old Covenant vs. the New Covenant. Many people will take verses in the middle chapters about those under the Law (David) and even before the Law (Abraham), and make it about themselves in the New Covenant. For instance Romans 3:23 is about mankind ever since Adam sinned, for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. That is why we must come to Christ to have that desire to sin taken away. Born again Christians are sinless. (NOT PERFECT). Perfection is what we grow towards when through our vinekeeper John 15:1-4 our fruit of the Spirit is matured. Do you see in those verse that it says "we are clean through His word." He is saying even though there is work to be done on our fruit, and there must be some fruit, even immature, we are still sinless of the sins unto death, the Ten Commandments. We have no desire to murder, steal, lie, commit adultery, etc. which are mortal sins and that new nature without the desire to sin a mortal sin makes us clean/sinless. Once all the fruit of the Spirit are mature after years of pruning and growing, we are perfect and can never stumble. 2 Peter 1:2-11.

Sins of immature fruit called debts or trespasses against each other are minor sins called venial sins, and our forgiveness of each other washes those away by the blood of Jesus. 1 John 1:7; Matthew 6:14-15 This is why Paul said, don't let the sun go down on your anger.

Last edited:
@charismaticlady

What did The apostle Paul say? “But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.” Romans 7:20

He's talking about himself and he was definitely saved at the time.

If a saved person won't admit to occasionally sinning I would imagine they're into sinless perfection. That's extremely dangerous.

Jesus tells us how to pray and to ask for forgiveness because he knew that we would occasionally sin.

Matthew 6:9-12 “Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. ‘Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. ‘Give us this day our daily bread. ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”

1 John Chapter one is a chapter written clearly for believers. When we read 1 John in context, we see that one of the aspects of walking in the light is confessing our sin. I seriously don't understand how people could believe they are currently living perfectly, without sin We deceive ourselves when we make such claims. Confessing our sins is one of the evidences that we are saved. You can never hide sin in His light.

A person with a genuine relationship with their father is going to confess their faults. The Holy Spirit is going to convict us of sin and if He’s not, that is evidence of false conversion. Having unconfessed sin blocks God from listening to us. It’s dangerous to claim to be without sin. The Bible says we're calling God a liar.
Absolutely correct.

@charismaticlady

What did The apostle Paul say? “But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.” Romans 7:20

That particular verse, is used world wide to try to prove that Paul is teaching that He was stuck in sin.

And of course this is nonsense.
What happened to those who teach it that way, is that they dont read or study a bible, they study their commentary, that their favorite heretic wrote about that chapter, and they also never studied the Bible.

So, Paul in that verse, is beginning a teaching that is related to Philippians 3, where he talks about self righteousness and law keeping as "dung", with regards to the imputed righteousness of Christ.
Paul said that he was "blameless in the law", and when he tried to "do law and strive against sin" then the law became a curse to him, because "the Law is the power of sin."

So, Paul continued to teach, and the people who dont read a bible or study one, didn't continue to read what He is teaching.

Lets jump to the end.

The END of the Teaching that Started by........."that which i dont want to do, i do"...

ENDS, with "Christ always Gives me the VICTORY"""""", and "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me".

Do you see where Paul, ENDED that teaching?

So, the people who are not real bible students, DIDNT, and that is why they try to make you believe that "confessing sin" and "sin, confess, and repeat" is "that which i dont want to do"""..

Paul finished His teaching, and its not related to being stuck in Hebrews 6:1 for life, as you find with these carnal people who really didnt study Paul's epistles, but like to pretend they did, so that they can fool YOU., if they can.

Dont let them fool you, reader., as its your responsibility not to be deceived.
Thats on YOU.

@charismaticlady

If a saved person won't admit to occasionally sinning I would imagine they're into sinless perfection. That's extremely dangerous.

Jesus tells us how to pray and to ask for forgiveness because he knew that we would occasionally sin.

Matthew 6:9-12 “Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. ‘Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. ‘Give us this day our daily bread. ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”

1 John Chapter one is a chapter written clearly for believers. When we read 1 John in context, we see that one of the aspects of walking in the light is confessing our sin. I seriously don't understand how people could believe they are currently living perfectly, without sin We deceive ourselves when we make such claims. Confessing our sins is one of the evidences that we are saved. You can never hide sin in His light.

A person with a genuine relationship with their father is going to confess their faults. The Holy Spirit is going to convict us of sin and if He’s not, that is evidence of false conversion. Having unconfessed sin blocks God from listening to us. It’s dangerous to claim to be without sin. The Bible says we're calling God a liar.
cc: for @Johann also.

Romans 7:20 is talking about when he was in the flesh. That is past tense when you read before and after verse 20. Like Romans 7:5-7 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Seeing as this is before verse 20 all I can say is how soon we forget the context. All Paul was doing in 14-25 is assuring us that the Law was holy, and we needed it then when we still had sin in our flesh. Also Romans 8:2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

How?

And expecially verse 8 and 9.
So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Read this passage about sin, and see if you still believe the sin dwells in you still.

1 John 3:4-9
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Romans 7:20 is talking about when he was in the flesh. That is past tense when you read before and after verse 20. Like Romans 7:5-7 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
Romans 7:5-7 (KJV)
Verse 5:

"For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death."
"were in the flesh" (ἤμεθα ἐν τῇ σαρκί)

Imperfect tense: Indicates a continuous or repeated action in the past.
"were aroused by the law" (διὰ τοῦ νόμου ἐνεργοῦντο)

Imperfect tense: The sinful passions were continuously being aroused.
"were at work" (ἠργάζετο)

Imperfect tense: The sinful passions were continually working in their members.
Verse 6:

"But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter."
"have been delivered" (κατηργήθημεν)

Aorist tense: Indicates a past completed action. Believers have been set free from the law.
"having died" (ἀποθανόντες)

Aorist participle: Indicates a completed action in the past that has ongoing results.
"we were held by" (κατειχόμεθα)

Imperfect tense: Indicates continuous action in the past.
"should serve" (δουλεύειν)
Present infinitive: Indicates purpose or result, implying continuous action in the present and future.
Verse 7:

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."
"I had not known" (οὐκ ἔγνων)

Aorist tense: Refers to a specific past event or realization.
Romans 7:20 (KJV)
Verse 20:

"Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."
"I do" (ποιῶ)

Present tense: Indicates ongoing action in the present.
"I would not" (οὐ θέλω)

Present tense: Indicates a present desire or will.
"I that do it" (ποιῶ)

Present tense: Repeated to emphasize the ongoing action.
"dwelleth" (οἰκοῦσα)
Present participle: Indicates continuous action or state in the present.
Contextual Analysis:
Romans 7:5-7 Context:

Paul is reflecting on the past condition of being "in the flesh," meaning living under the control of sinful nature before being set free by Christ. The use of the imperfect tense in verse 5 emphasizes the continuous and habitual nature of sin's influence in their lives at that time.
In verse 6, the aorist tense indicates a completed action—being delivered from the law. This shift from past continuous action (imperfect tense) to a completed past action (aorist tense) marks a transition from the old life under the law to the new life in the Spirit.
Verse 7 uses the aorist tense to indicate specific past knowledge, showing how the law made sin known.
Romans 7:20 Context:

This verse describes the present struggle with sin. The present tense verbs ("I do," "I would not," "I that do it," and "dwelleth") indicate ongoing internal conflict. Even though believers are no longer under the law's condemnation, they still experience the struggle against sin in their daily lives.

Conclusion:
In Romans 7:5-7, Paul describes the past condition "in the flesh" using imperfect tenses to highlight continuous past actions under the law's influence. By contrast, Romans 7:20 uses present tense verbs to depict the ongoing struggle with sin even after being delivered from the law. This distinction emphasizes the transformative journey from past bondage to present spiritual conflict, illustrating the believer's ongoing need for reliance on the Spirit.
So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
Romans 8:8-9 (KJV)
Verse 8:

"So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God."
"are in the flesh" (ὄντες ἐν σαρκί)
Present participle: Indicates a current, ongoing state of being.
"cannot please" (οὐ δύνανται ἀρέσαι)
Present tense: Indicates an ongoing inability or condition. Those who are currently living according to the flesh are continually unable to please God.
Verse 9:

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His."
"you are not" (οὐκ ἐστὲ)
Present indicative: States a current reality for the believers being addressed.
"in the flesh" (ἐν σαρκί)
Present prepositional phrase: Emphasizes the current state in which the believers do not live.
"but in the Spirit" (ἐν πνεύματι)
Present prepositional phrase: Indicates their current state of being in the Spirit.
"dwells" (οἰκεῖ)
Present indicative: Describes an ongoing action or state, emphasizing the continuous presence of the Spirit of God in believers.
"does not have" (εἰ δέ τις πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ οὐκ ἔχει)
Present indicative: Indicates a current state or condition.
"he is not His" (οὗτος οὐκ ἔστιν αὐτοῦ)
Present indicative: Denotes the present condition of not belonging to Christ.
Contextual Analysis:
Romans 8:8 Context:

"those who are in the flesh": Refers to individuals living according to their sinful nature, characterized by being controlled by sin rather than by the Spirit.
"cannot please God": This inability is a continuous state for those in the flesh. The present tense underscores that as long as individuals remain in this state, they are perpetually unable to please God.
Romans 8:9 Context:

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit": Paul addresses the believers, contrasting their current state with that of those who are in the flesh. The present indicative "are not" asserts their current identity and condition.
"if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you": The condition for being in the Spirit is the indwelling presence of the Spirit of God. The present indicative "dwells" indicates that this is an ongoing, continuous reality for believers.
"if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ": The present indicative "does not have" points to a current condition. The absence of the Spirit of Christ means that the person does not belong to Christ, marked by the present indicative "is not."
Morphology and Meaning of Tenses:
Present Participle ("are in the flesh"):

Indicates a continuous state of being. Those who are habitually living according to the flesh cannot please God.
Present Indicative ("cannot please," "you are not," "dwells," "does not have," "is not His"):

Indicates a current, ongoing reality or condition. The use of the present tense in these verbs emphasizes the continuous state of either being in the flesh or in the Spirit.
Conclusion:
Romans 8:8-9 contrasts the state of being "in the flesh" with being "in the Spirit." The present tenses used throughout these verses highlight the ongoing, continuous nature of these states. Those who are in the flesh are perpetually unable to please God, while those in the Spirit are continually indwelt by the Spirit of God, marking their identity as belonging to Christ. This passage emphasizes the transformative reality of life in the Spirit as opposed to life in the flesh.

1 John 3:4-9
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

1 John 3:4-9 (KJV)
Verse 4:

"Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness."
"commits sin" (ποιῶν τὴν ἁμαρτίαν)
Present participle: Indicates ongoing action; one who is continually practicing sin.
"commits lawlessness" (καὶ τὴν ἀνομίαν ποιεῖ)
Present indicative: Denotes an ongoing action; continually practicing lawlessness.
"sin is lawlessness" (ἡ ἁμαρτία ἐστὶν ἡ ἀνομία)
Present indicative: Defines the nature of sin as being lawlessness.
Verse 5:

"And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin."
"you know" (οἴδατε)
Perfect indicative: Indicates a completed action with continuing effect; they have come to know and still know.
"was manifested" (ἐφανερώθη)
Aorist passive indicative: Describes a past action; Christ was revealed in the past.
"to take away" (ἵνα ἄρῃ)
Aorist subjunctive: Indicates purpose; the purpose of His manifestation was to take away sins.
"there is no sin" (ἁμαρτία ἐν αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔστιν)
Present indicative: States a present reality; sin does not exist in Him.
Verse 6:

"Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him."
"abides" (μένων)
Present participle: Indicates ongoing action; one who continually abides in Him.
"does not sin" (οὐχ ἁμαρτάνει)
Present indicative: Indicates continuous action; does not continually sin.
"sins" (ἁμαρτάνων)
Present participle: Indicates ongoing action; one who continually sins.
"has neither seen" (οὐχ ἑώρακεν)
Perfect indicative: Indicates a completed action with continuing effect; has not seen and continues not to see.
"nor known" (οὐδὲ ἔγνωκεν)
Perfect indicative: Indicates a completed action with continuing effect; has not known and continues not to know.
Verse 7:

"Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous."
"practices righteousness" (ποιῶν τὴν δικαιοσύνην)
Present participle: Indicates ongoing action; one who continually practices righteousness.
"is righteous" (δίκαιός ἐστιν)
Present indicative: States a current reality; is righteous.
"just as He is righteous" (καθὼς ἐκεῖνος δίκαιός ἐστιν)
Present indicative: States a current reality; Christ is righteous.
Verse 8:

"He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil."
"sins" (ποιῶν τὴν ἁμαρτίαν)
Present participle: Indicates ongoing action; one who continually practices sin.
"is of the devil" (ἐκ τοῦ διαβόλου ἐστίν)
Present indicative: States a current reality; belongs to the devil.
"has sinned" (ἁμαρτάνει)
Perfect indicative: Indicates a completed action with ongoing effect; the devil has sinned and continues in that state.
"was manifested" (ἐφανερώθη)
Aorist passive indicative: Describes a past action; the Son of God was revealed.
"might destroy" (λύσῃ)
Aorist subjunctive: Indicates purpose; the purpose of His manifestation was to destroy the works of the devil.
Verse 9:

"Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."
"has been born" (γεγεννημένος)

Perfect participle: Indicates a completed action with continuing effect; has been born of God and continues to be in that state.
"does not sin" (ἁμαρτίαν οὐ ποιεῖ)
Present indicative: Indicates continuous action; does not continually practice sin. @charismaticlady right here is where I think you "miss it"

"remains" (μένει)
Present indicative: States a current, ongoing reality; His seed remains in him.
"cannot sin" (οὐ δύναται ἁμαρτάνειν)
Present infinitive: Indicates a continuous inability; cannot continually practice sin.
"has been born of God" (ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ γεγέννηται)
Perfect indicative: Indicates a completed action with continuing effect; has been born of God and continues in that state.
Contextual Analysis:
Verse 4:

The present participles and indicatives emphasize the continuous nature of sin and lawlessness. One who continually practices sin is engaging in lawlessness.
Verse 5:

The perfect tense "you know" underscores the ongoing knowledge believers have. The aorist tense "was manifested" points to the historical event of Christ's coming to take away sins, and the present tense "there is no sin" states Christ's ongoing sinlessness.
Verse 6:

The present participles "abides" and "sins" contrast continuous states: one who continually abides in Christ does not continually sin. The perfect tenses "has neither seen" and "nor known" indicate a completed and ongoing lack of true relationship with Christ for those who continually sin.
Verse 7:

The present participles and indicatives highlight ongoing righteousness in the believer, paralleling Christ's continuous state of righteousness.
Verse 8:

The present participle "sins" and indicative "is of the devil" describe the continuous nature of sinful behavior and its association with the devil. The perfect indicative "has sinned" highlights the devil's ongoing state of sinfulness. The aorist "was manifested" indicates the historical event of Christ's coming to destroy the works of the devil.
Verse 9:

The perfect participle "has been born" and present indicative "does not sin" indicate a completed action with ongoing results: being born of God results in not continually practicing sin. The present indicative "remains" and infinitive "cannot sin" further emphasize the continuous effect of God's seed in the believer.
Conclusion:
In 1 John 3:4-9, the use of present participles and indicatives emphasizes the continuous nature of sin and righteousness. The perfect tenses indicate completed actions with ongoing effects, particularly regarding the knowledge of Christ and being born of God. The aorist tenses point to specific historical events, such as Christ's manifestation to take away sins and destroy the works of the devil. This passage stresses the transformative impact of being born of God, which results in a continual state of righteousness and a break from the continuous practice of sin.

Read this passage about sin, and see if you still believe the sin dwells in you still.
Let's sum this up-

1 John 3:4-9 (KJV)
"Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.
Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."
Analysis and Contextual Understanding:

Continuous vs. Habitual Sin:

The present participles used in this passage (e.g., "commits," "abides," "practices") emphasize ongoing, habitual actions rather than isolated instances. The passage contrasts a lifestyle characterized by continuous sinning with one marked by continuous righteousness.

Transformative Power of Christ:

Verse 5 highlights that Jesus was manifested to take away sins, indicating His role in transforming believers' lives by removing the power and presence of sin.

Verse 8 states that the Son of God was manifested to destroy the works of the devil, which includes the habitual practice of sin.
Identity and Behavior:

Verses 6 and 9 draw a direct correlation between one's identity in Christ and their behavior. Abiding in Christ (verse 6) results in not continuing to sin, while being born of God (verse 9) means one does not live in habitual sin.

The phrase "His seed remains in him" (verse 9) suggests a permanent change in nature, as God's seed (likely referring to the Holy Spirit or the new nature imparted by God) continually abides in the believer, making a lifestyle of sin incompatible with their new identity.

Key Points:
Abiding in Christ: Those who abide in Christ do not continue in habitual sin. This does not mean they never sin, but their lives are not characterized by continuous, unrepentant sinning.

Born of God: Being born of God results in a new nature that is incompatible with a lifestyle of sin. The "seed" of God within believers empowers them to live righteously.

Sin and Righteousness: The passage distinguishes between those who practice righteousness (reflecting their righteous nature in Christ) and those who practice sin (reflecting alignment with the devil).

Conclusion:
Based on this passage, the believer's relationship with sin is fundamentally altered through their new birth in Christ. While sin's presence in the world and the believer's life is acknowledged elsewhere in Scripture (e.g., Romans 7), 1 John 3:4-9 emphasizes that a true believer, being transformed by God's seed, will not continue to live in habitual sin. Therefore, while sin's influence may persist, its dominion is broken, and the believer's life is characterized by a pattern of righteousness enabled by the indwelling presence of God's seed. This transformative power underscores the believer's new identity and ongoing sanctification process.

Hope this will clear up some misconceptions @charismaticlady but you are consistent in our dialogue on the other Christian Forum.

Johann

Back
Top Bottom