The Lord in Acts

civic

There is only One Lord- 1 Corinthians 8:6
There is only One Sovereign and Lord Jude 1:4

Kurios( Lord ) is the Greek word in the LXX for YHWH.

Jesus is called God in Acts

We can see that there is only One Savior who is Lord from both the Old and New Testaments. Now there is a particular poster who claims the book of Acts never refers to Jesus as God. We will see that the word Lord in many places is used in the book of Acts as an equivalent to God.

Isa 43:11
"I, even I, am the Lord,(YHWH)
And there is no savior besides Me.

Isa 45:21-23
Is it not I, the Lord? (YHWH)
And there is no other God besides Me,
A righteous God and a Savior;
There is none except Me
22"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.
23"I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.

Below we see in fact it is the name of Jesus alone by which men must be saved. There is no other name which can save a man.

Acts 4:12
"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

Here we see Stephen pray to Jesus as he was being stoned which would be forbidden if He were not God. We also see that Stephen was full of the Holy Spirit when he was praying to Jesus.

Acts 7:59-60
They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he fell asleep.

Jesus is Lord(YHWH) of all with no exceptions

Acts 10:36
"The word which He sent to the sons of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ (He is Lord of all)

Acts 14:3
Therefore they spent a long time there speaking boldly with reliance upon the Lord, who was testifying to the word of His grace, granting that signs and wonders be done by their hands.

We see below that it was the name of Jesus whom they proclaimed as Lord. It was Jesus who was preached to the gentiles.

Acts 15:15-18
"With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,
16'AFTER THESE THINGS I will return,
AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN,
AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS,
AND I WILL RESTORE IT,
17SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD,
AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,'
18SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.

Acts 15:23-26
"The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.
24"Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, 25it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The phrase the word of God is synonymous with the word of the Lord(Jesus,YHWH)

Acts 15:35
But Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch, teaching and preaching with many others also, the word of the Lord.

Again it is the Lord Jesus who was prayed to and who answers prayers.

Acts 16:14-15
A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. 15And when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay." And she prevailed upon us.

Below we see to believe in the Lord(Jesus) is the same as believing in God. In fact we see that they first believed in the Lord Jesus and later referred to that as believing in God therefore calling the Lord Jesus God !!

Acts 16:31-34
They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." 32And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house. 33And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household. 34And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, having believed in God with his whole household.

So we can see that Jesus was preached in the book of Acts as the only One who can save men from their sins. We see He is indeed the Savior. We see He was prayed to under the power of the Holy Spirit and that Jesus answered prayer. They also called the word of God the word of the Lord making Jesus equal with God. We also see that those who believed in the Lord Jesus actually believed in God, therefor calling Jesus God.

We also see the Peter in fact calls Jesus YHWH when he refers to Joel below. When Peter calls Jesus Lord it is the same as calling Him YHWH,

Joel 2:32
32 "And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Will be delivered;
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem
There will be those who escape,
As the Lord has said,
Even among the survivors whom the Lord calls.

Acts 2:21
1 'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'

Acts 2:34-36
4 "For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says:

'THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
"SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
35 UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET."'

36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ — this Jesus whom you crucified."

Acts 4:10-12
0 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead — by this name this man stands here before you in good health. 11 "He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone. 12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

It is the same Lord YHWH whom Stephen prayed to as he was dying for his faith in the Lord Jesus who saved him. To deny this is to turn a blind eye to the scriptures. We know from scripture that only God can save(Is 43:11) but we see in Acts that the Lord Jesus saved men from their sin. Had God not become man He could not of died for our sins. Had Jesus not been God He could not save us from sin.

59 They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60 Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he fell asleep.

Jesus,Savior,Lord and God were interchangeable names for the one true God in Acts and the Epistles.

And of course we have YHWH who will be pierced, and He will pour out His Spirit. We know from the NT it was Jesus who would send the Helper,Comforter, Holy Spirit to His disciples and who was pierced.

Zech 12:10-11

10 "I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.

Acts 2:36-40
36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ — this Jesus whom you crucified."

37 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" 38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

Acts 3:17-20
"And now, brethren, I know that you acted in ignorance, just as your rulers did also. 18 "But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. 19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
A few more to your insightful list:
1. Jesus is the Lord as well as the heart-knower of all in Acts 1:24 - God "alone" knows the hearts of all people (1 Kings 8:39).
2. The will of the Lord Jesus (Acts 21:14) corresponds to the will of God (Acts 18:21).
3. Commending someone to the Lord Jesus (Acts 14:23) corresponds to commending someone to God (Acts 20:32).
4. To fear the Lord Jesus (Acts 9:31) involves worshiping Him and not idols (2 Kings 17:36-39).
5. Turning to the Lord Jesus (Acts 9:35) involves worshiping Him (cf. Psalm 22:27) - not idols (Leviticus 19:4).
6. Jesus is the Lord to whom (leitourgeō) is offered in Acts 13:2.
2 Chronicles 13:10
But as for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken Him; and the sons of Aaron are ministering to the LORD as priests, and the Levites attend to their work.
Christians are priests of Christ (Revelation 20:6)

Last edited:
A few more to your insightful list:
1. Jesus is the Lord as well as the heart-knower of all in Acts 1:24 - God "alone" knows the hearts of all people (1 Kings 8:39).
2. The will of the Lord Jesus (Acts 21:14) corresponds to the will of God (Acts 18:21).
3. Commending someone to the Lord Jesus (Acts 14:23) corresponds to commending someone to God (Acts 20:32).
4. Jesus is the Lord to whom (leitourgeō) is offered in Acts 13:2.
2 Chronicles 13:10
But as for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken Him; and the sons of Aaron are ministering to the LORD as priests, and the Levites attend to their work.
Christians are priests of Christ (Revelation 20:6)
I will add those to the list, thanks my friend. Thanks for the iron sharpening :)

1 'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'

I see you have Acts 2:21 in the OP.
I believe Acts 2:39 is a continuation in reference to the Lord Jesus.

Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the LXX)
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.
For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said,
and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

Peter applies YHWH ('kyrios' in Greek) from Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the LXX) in reference to Jesus being the Lord in Acts 2:21.
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.

Peter again quotes from Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the LXX) in Acts 2:39
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

Acts 2:39
For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God call to himself.”

The Lord in Acts 2:21 refers to the same Lord in Acts 2:39 -- > Jesus!

Thus, demonstrating for Peter (recorded by Luke) that Jesus is "the Lord our God."

If you're willing to add someone perilously close to God—a kind of demigod—then you just slot Jesus as "godlike."

It's hard to argue against.

I see you have Acts 2:21 in the OP.
I believe Acts 2:39 is a continuation in reference to the Lord Jesus.

Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the LXX)
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.
For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said,
and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

Peter applies YHWH ('kyrios' in Greek) in reference to Jesus being the Lord in Acts 2:21.
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.

Peter again quotes from Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the LXX) in Acts 2:39.
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

The Lord in Acts 2:21 refers to the same Lord in Acts 2:39 -- > Jesus!

Thus, demonstrating for Peter (recorded by Luke) that Jesus is "the Lord our God."
Excellent Fred thanks !!!

Joel 2:32
32 "And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Will be delivered;
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem
There will be those who escape,
As the Lord has said,
Even among the survivors whom the Lord calls.

Step back just one verse.
Joel 2:31
The sun will be turned into darkness
And the moon into blood
Before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes.

Peter applies the Lord (YHWH) from this OT text in reference to Jesus in the NT.

Acts 2:20 (Joel 2:31; 3:4 in the LXX)
The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood,
before the great and glorious day of the Lord shall come.

From the writings of Peter:
2 Peter 3:2-4, 10
(2) that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles. (cf. 'the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ,' Jude 17)
(3) Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
(4) and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.”
(10) But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Subject Heading:- 'The Lord in Acts'
Jesus is called God in Acts
We can see that there is only One Savior who is Lord from both the Old and New Testaments.​
(Now there is a particular poster who claims the book of Acts never refers to Jesus as God).​
We will see that the word Lord in many places is used in the book of Acts as an equivalent to God.
Isa 43:11
11"I, even I, am the Lord,​
And there is no savior besides Me.
Isa 45:21-23
Is it not I, the Lord?​
And there is no other God besides Me,​
A righteous God and a Savior;
There is none except Me.​
22"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;​
For I am God, and there is no other.​
23"I have sworn by Myself,​
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness​
And will not turn back,​
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
Hello @civic,

Below we see in fact it is the name of Jesus alone by which men must be saved. There is no other name which can save a man.@civic​
12"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."​
- Here we see Stephen pray to Jesus as he was being stoned which would be forbidden if He were not God. We also see that Stephen was full of the Holy Spirit when he was praying to Jesus.

59 They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he fell asleep.​
- Jesus is Lord(YHWH) of all with no exceptions
* The words of Stephen, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!' turns my mind to (Ecc 12:7) 'Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.' God is also spoken of as, 'the Father of spirits' in (Heb.12:9).

* This was an edifying study, for which I thank you. ( By the way, @civic, what version of Scripture are you using?) :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Subject Heading:- 'The Lord in Acts'

Hello @civic,

* The words of Stephen, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!' turns my mind to (Ecc 12:7) 'Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.' God is also spoken of as, 'the Father of spirits' in (Heb.12:

* This was an edifying study, for which I thank you. By the way, @civic, what version of Scripture are you using? :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
I think it was the NIV, I will have to check. My preference is the NASB.

Reply#9:-
* The words of Stephen, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!' turns my mind to (Ecc 12:7) 'Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.' God is also spoken of as, 'the Father of spirits' in (Heb.12:9).

Hello again, @civic,

In relation to this my thoughts go to the fact that what God breathed into man, was 'the breath of life' (i.e., spirit). It is 'the breath of life' (or spirit) that returns to God Who gave it. It was, 'the breath of life,' (or spirit) that Stephen committed to the risen Lord: and it was unto God the Father that our Lord Himself committed his spirit, or, 'the breath of life'. It was at the entrance of 'the breath of life' (or spirit) into man, that man became a living soul.

'For ye are dead,
and your life is hid with Christ in God.
When Christ, Who is our life, shall appear,
then shall ye also appear with Him in glory.'
(Col 3:3)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that one (NASB) at the moment.

:)

NASB (1995)

NASB (2020)

I will add those to the list, thanks my friend. Thanks for the iron sharpening
while all of you are sharping IRON, why do you still believe in three persons in the Godhead? if the Lord Jesus is God, (and he is), and God said, Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour." if there is no saviour but him, (ONE PERSON), the Lord Jesus why put another person beside him? again, Isaiah 44:8 "Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

if one say Jesus is God, and the Father is God..... need not to go any further, one has just violated Isaiah 44:8 here.

so why persist in three persons?

101G.

while all of you are sharping IRON, why do you still believe in three persons in the Godhead? if the Lord Jesus is God, (and he is), and God said, Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour." if there is no saviour but him, (ONE PERSON), the Lord Jesus why put another person beside him? again, Isaiah 44:8 "Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

if one say Jesus is God, and the Father is God..... need not to go any further, one has just violated Isaiah 44:8 here.

so why persist in three persons?

101G.
Its obvious Jesus throughtout His ministry talked with the Father conversationally, not with Himself like a personality disorder Schizophrenia.

Its obvious Jesus throughtout His ministry talked with the Father conversationally, not with Himself like a personality disorder Schizophrenia.
Civic, listen do you really understand the POWER of the ECHAD of the Godhead? it is obvious, the Lord Jesus is a diversity, or equal SHARE of his OWNSELF in flesh. example, explain to us how is Jesus on earth in flesh and at the same time in heaven, LISTEN, John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

so tell us how was JESUS, the Son of Man in Heaven and at the same time on earth talking to Nicodemus.

101G would like to hear your ANSWER please.

101G.

Civic, listen do you really understand the POWER of the ECHAD of the Godhead? it is obvious, the Lord Jesus is a diversity, or equal SHARE of his OWNSELF in flesh. example, explain to us how is Jesus on earth in flesh and at the same time in heaven, LISTEN, John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

so tell us how was JESUS, the Son of Man in Heaven and at the same time on earth talking to Nicodemus.

101G would like to hear your ANSWER please.

101G.
Omnipresent since He is God. Simple as that as my friend @Bob Carabbio like to say. :)

Omnipresent since He is God. Simple as that as my friend @Bob Carabbio like to say. :)
ERROR, the Son of man is in a G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') v. 1. to make empty, STATE while in Flesh with BLOOD. so explain how God in an empty state be Omnipresent when he had to walk everywhere he went.

try again. remember in HUMAN flesh he has no Omni power, if so he could not be crucified. so try again

101G

ERROR, the Son of man is in a G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') v. 1. to make empty, STATE while in Flesh with BLOOD. so explain how God in an empty state be Omnipresent when he had to walk everywhere he went.

try again. remember in HUMAN flesh he has no Omni power, if so he could not be crucified. so try again

101G
God is not confined to a body- its how He knew Nathaniel was under a tree praying miles away from His physical place He was at the time. Omniscience :)

God is not confined to a body- its how He knew Nathaniel was under a tree praying miles away from His physical place He was at the time. Omniscience :)
ERROR, John 1:48 "Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee."

called him? yes his name, some Omniscience, LOL, LOL, LOL, ... try agin.

101G.

Back
Top Bottom