The Joy of My Salvation

Anja

The secret of joy begins when you surrender yourself to the Lord. David prayed, “Restore to me the joy of my salvation”

10. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me.
12. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13. Then will I teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted and return to You
Psalm51:10–13

I think the reason David prayed this prayer was he had become increasingly distracted and disconnected from God and realize his situation. The story of David and Bathsheba had to have been what started it off. It is one of the most dramatic accounts of where sin leads us in the Old Testament. It lead to both adultery and murder plus the devastating effects on his children. In total, four of David’s sons suffered untimely deaths.

In the account of David and Bathsheba, we find many lessons. First, secret sin will be found out. Second, God will forgive anyone who repents. That's eternal security. Third, sin’s consequences remain even when the sin is forgiven.

The Bible teaches that sickness can be a consequence of sin.

And behold, they brought to Him a man paralyzed and prostrated by illness, lying on a sleeping pad; and when Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralyzed man, Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven and the penalty remitted. Matthew 9:2

I think AIDS Is a good modern day example.

The joy of the Lord is my strength. Losing your joy is no joke. Happened to me once back in the '80s and luckily I had a Christian brother who noticed and asked me what was wrong. I told him I was bummed out and he said you've lost your joy. I became his project he was going to make sure I got my joy back. I'm so grateful to him because now I have a good understanding how that works.

Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

This is one of those biblical imperatives, and it leaves no room for not rejoicing, for Paul says Christians are to rejoice always—not sometimes, periodically, or occasionally. He then adds, “Again I will say, Rejoice”

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4

The key to the Christian’s joy is its source, which is the Lord. If Christ is in me and I am in Him, that relationship is not a sometimes experience. We are always in the Lord and the Lord is always in us, and that is always a reason for joy

@Overjoyed

I'm glad you have a good understanding of joy.

Since joy is a fruit of the Spirit, our sanctification is displayed not only by our love, peace, patience, kindness, and so forth, but by our joy. We must not forget that the fruit of the Holy Spirit is not the same as the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Back
Top Bottom