The Bahá'í Faith: Teachings, History, and Practices

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
The Bahá’í Faith is a world religion. Since its birth over a century and a half ago, it has taken root in more countries than any other religion except Christianity. Its more than five million followers are found in some 100,000 localities around the world and represent nearly ,100 ethnic, racial, and tribal groups. Its literature has been translated into over 800 languages. Its local institutions have been established in more than 10,000 communities. And its social and economic development projects operate in more than 100 countries. The worldwide Bahá’í community may well be the most diverse, organized body of people on the planet.

That people of nearly every ethnic, racial, and religious background have been attracted to the Bahá’í teachings confirms the vision of unity taught by the founder of the Bahá’í Faith, Bahá’u’lláh (pronounced “Ba-Ha-O-La”). In the nineteenth century, Bahá’u’lláh proclaimed that he was the bearer of a new revelation from God and the one promised by the religions of the past. Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, and Buddhists who have embraced the truth of the Bahá’í Faith have been attracted by its unifying principles.

These principles include: there is only one God; all of humanity are children of God; and God has provided spiritual education for humanity through one process — the succession of the world’s great religions. People of faith and those of no faith, the mystically-oriented and the practically-minded have been attracted to this belief system, which is spiritual at its core, yet scientific in its methods. They have appreciated the way it addresses their personal spirituality as well as the promotion of a just and peaceful society.

The growth of the Bahá’í Faith is remarkable not only because of the diversity of humanity that has responded to its message but also because it has spread despite continuous and severe persecution since its birth in Persia in 1844. The Faith’s forerunner was publicly executed; its founder was subjected to 40 years of exile and imprisonment; its chief promoter was deprived of freedom for nearly half a century; and more than 20,000 of its early followers — men, women, and children — were put to death for their beliefs. In spite of such opposition, and at times because of it, the Bahá’í Faith has steadily spread to nearly every country in the world.

Vafai, Shahin.

An answer to Misconceptions about the Baha’i Faith

Is the Baha’i Faith a Sect of Islam? No.

Occasionally I’ve heard the uninformed opinion that the Baha’i Faith is a sect of Islam – not true!

Actually, Baha’is have been imprisoned and martyred since their Faith began in Persia, because of the persecution of the powerful Islamic clerics who consider the Baha’i Faith and its progressive principles a threat. If some Islamic countries were confused about how to classify the Baha’i Faith, why have many of them officially recognized it as an independent religion distinct from Islam since early in the 20th century?

Importantly, the Baha’i Faith first emerged in a Muslim culture in what is now Iran, so Islam could be said to be its parent Faith – in the same way that Judaism was the parent Faith of Christianity.

Deborah Clark Vance​

Deborah Clark Vance earned a Ph.D. from Howard University in Intercultural Communication and served as Assoc Prof. and Chair of the Dept of Comm & Cinema at McDaniel College. She has published in anthologies, textbooks, peer-reviewed academic journals, radio and magazines; presented papers at numerous conferences; and worked on an educational TV series. Her Baha’i related papers - including her dissertation about how Baha'is manage to forge a unified identity out of their diverse identities --can be found at Baha’i Library online. She retired in 2016 to pursue other interests including writing, and published a widely available literary novel, “Sylvie Denied,” in Feb. 2021 (available here)

An answer to Misconceptions about the Baha’i Faith

Is the Baha’i Faith a Sect of Islam? No.

Occasionally I’ve heard the uninformed opinion that the Baha’i Faith is a sect of Islam – not true!

Actually, Baha’is have been imprisoned and martyred since their Faith began in Persia, because of the persecution of the powerful Islamic clerics who consider the Baha’i Faith and its progressive principles a threat.
The Shiites and the Sunis are perpetually at each other's throats but they are still classified as both Islamic. So wars between groups does not mean that they don't follow the same God (Allah) and Prophet.
If some Islamic countries were confused about how to classify the Baha’i Faith, why have many of them officially recognized it as an independent religion distinct from Islam since early in the 20th century?

Importantly, the Baha’i Faith first emerged in a Muslim culture in what is now Iran, so Islam could be said to be its parent Faith – in the same way that Judaism was the parent Faith of Christianity.

Deborah Clark Vance​

Deborah Clark Vance earned a Ph.D. from Howard University in Intercultural Communication and served as Assoc Prof. and Chair of the Dept of Comm & Cinema at McDaniel College. She has published in anthologies, textbooks, peer-reviewed academic journals, radio and magazines; presented papers at numerous conferences; and worked on an educational TV series. Her Baha’i related papers - including her dissertation about how Baha'is manage to forge a unified identity out of their diverse identities --can be found at Baha’i Library online. She retired in 2016 to pursue other interests including writing, and published a widely available literary novel, “Sylvie Denied,” in Feb. 2021 (available here)
So how is the Baha'i faith different than the Shiites and Sunis? They all revere the same God (Allah) and Prophet. I'm sure they're different but in what way are they different?

The Shiites and the Sunis are perpetually at each other's throats but they are still classified as both Islamic. So wars between groups does not mean that they don't follow the same God (Allah) and Prophet.

So how is the Baha'i faith different than the Shiites and Sunis? They all revere the same God (Allah) and Prophet. I'm sure they're different but in what way are they different?
This is all new territory to me. I have studied Islam since 911, So it is an interesting topic for me. I will look into the difference between Islam and Baha’i. I found this quite informative.

This is all new territory to me. I have studied Islam since 911, So it is an interesting topic for me. I will look into the difference between Islam and Baha’i. I found this quite informative.

The article says that the Baha'i faith eludidates "how the Creator has established a logical and progressive educational system for humankind". So it is a progression from the Christian Cross to the Quran's utter denial of the Cross? Isn't that more like an utter obliteration rather than a "progression"? :unsure:

All I can do at this point is assume. I can understand why they use that language in the article. If you're trying to promote your unique view on any subject you want to make it seem appealing. So if you were trying to get Christians to leave the Christian faith and join the Baha’i Faith telling them that it's a progression sounds a lot better.

I've also noticed that this theme of "progression" Seems to be held in high regard by the Baha’i Faith.

In Christianity I don't see a progression especially since Christ said on the cross:

When Jesus was dying on the cross, he said, "It is finished," which is the English translation of the Greek word "Tetelestai"1. This word means "to bring to an end, to complete, to accomplish"1. It signified the completion of Jesus' work of being crucified, which was the main purpose of his incarnation2. His sinless flesh was offered as a sacrifice to redeem mankind and pardon sins

Throughout the Baha’i teachings, God is spoken of in attributes rather than descriptions: the All-Knowing, the All-Wise, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous, the Almighty, the All-Glorious, the Most-Bountiful, etc.

I believe God's forgiveness is found in Jesus Christ and believing in his sacrificial death and his resurrection from the tomb.

This Baha’i teaching sounds a lot like the Trinity

The Unity of the Manifestations of God and the Causes of Religious Differences From the Bahá’í perspective, the appearance and teachings of the Manifestations of God are not random or divergent. Instead, the Manifestations are divine educators who have revealed God’s message in an orderly, continuous, and progressive way. Their teachings are part of a single spiritual process — different stages in the development of one religion.

According to the Bahá’í teachings, All these holy, divine Manifestations are one. They have served one God, promulgated the same truth, founded the same institutions and reflected the same light. Their appearances have been successive and correlated; each One has announced and extolled the One Who was to follow, and all laid the foundation of reality. They summoned and invited the people to love and made the human world a mirror of the Word of God. Therefore, the divine religions They established have one foundation; Their teachings, proofs and evidences are one; in name and form They differ, but in reality They agree and are the same.

The appearances of the Manifestations of God are as the daily appearance of the sun. Each day bears a different name and date, but today’s sun is the same as yesterday’s. Similarly, the Manifestations of God differ in name and outward appearance, but they bring the same light of God to humanity. The rising and setting of the sun of God’s Manifestations will continue indefinitely. While the light of the Manifestations is the same, each offers to humanity a measure of divine guidance that is fuller than any which an earlier and less receptive age could have received. If there is unity among the Manifestations and if their teachings represent different stages of one religion, why then do the doctrines and practices of the world’s great religions differ in key respects?

The Bahá’í scriptures offer several explanations. First, the Manifestations of God have each brought to humanity two types of teachings: essential, spiritual teachings and temporary, social teachings. The essential teachings concern spiritual virtues and divine qualities such as faith in God, the love of fellow human beings, justice, righteousness, trustworthiness, and humility. These are eternal commandments that will never be abolished. As such, spiritual teachings like the golden rule — treating one’s neighbor as one wishes to be treated — appear in all of the world’s major religions.

Hi Synergy

Thanks for the interest and the link that brought me here.
Our Shiites and Sunis brothers are both followers of Islam.
Baha’i Faith is an independent religion rooted originally in shiite Islam, but we believe that revelation will continue as long as God keeps communicating with humankind. So we baha’is don’t believe that Mohammed was the last Manifestation of God. We believe that Bahá’u’lláh is the most recent manifestation from God and more will come in the future.

The article says that the Baha'i faith eludidates "how the Creator has established a logical and progressive educational system for humankind". So it is a progression from the Christian Cross to the Quran's utter denial of the Cross? Isn't that more like an utter obliteration rather than a "progression"? :unsure:
There are two particular aspects related to the cross in the Quran.
One is that God doesn’t need blood from an Innocent to forgive sins. Both Muslims and Baha’is believe that.
Another is the historicity of the crucifixion. Most Muslims deny it, while we Baha’is uphold it. We believe that Muslims have misinterpreted a verse in the Quran. I can explain that more thoroughly later.

There are two particular aspects related to the cross in the Quran.
One is that God doesn’t need blood from an Innocent to forgive sins. Both Muslims and Baha’is believe that.
Another is the historicity of the crucifixion. Most Muslims deny it, while we Baha’is uphold it. We believe that Muslims have misinterpreted a verse in the Quran. I can explain that more thoroughly later.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. So the Baha'i faithful believe that the Cross occurred but that Christ's death (blood) was not necessary for God's forgiveness? Am I correct in stating that? According to Baha'i beliefs, what exact role did the Cross play in redemptive history, if any?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. So the Baha'i faithful believe that the Cross occurred but that Christ's death (blood) was not necessary for God's forgiveness? Am I correct in stating that?
Yes, that’s what we believe.
According to Baha'i beliefs, what exact role did the Cross play in redemptive history, if any?
There is a thread that discusses the Atonement in which a Forum member listed different theories on the value/ meaning of atonement.
Two of them resonared with me strongly, plus a third one that was not in the list and that I brought to enrich the perspectives.
Let me see if I can find the link.

Meanwhile, I can tell you that we keep in high esteem the sacrifice of Jesus for mankind. Bahá’u’lláh briefly refered to it in intense, poetic terms. It is just thst we don’t believe in the penal substitutionary theory. I have searched in the Bible, and this is a topic I will be very glad to discuss with those interested.
It all stems from the conviction that God forgives our debt without demanding someone else to pay for it.

Last edited:
Hi @civic and @synergy

The thread opened by the Administrator is the one with the list of theories on atonement, in a post by @Johann
The list includes:

There are several prominent theories of atonement in contemporary theology, each offering a different perspective on the meaning and significance of Christ's death and resurrection. Here are some of the main theories:

1. Penal Substitutionary Atonement (PSA)
Focuses on Christ bearing the punishment for sin on behalf of humanity, satisfying the demands of divine justice.
Associated with Reformed and evangelical Protestant theology.

2. Christus Victor
Emphasizes Christ's victory over the powers of sin, death, and evil, liberating humanity from bondage.
Foundational in early Christianity and Eastern Orthodox theology.

3. Moral Influence Theory
Highlights Christ's death as a demonstration of God's love, intended to inspire moral transformation in humanity.
Associated with some forms of liberal and moral exemplarist theology.

4. Satisfaction Theory
Developed by Anselm of Canterbury, it posits that Christ's death satisfies the demands of God's honor offended by human sin.
Influential in Roman Catholic and some Protestant traditions.

5. Governmental Theory
Proposes that Christ's death demonstrates God's justice and serves as a public example to uphold moral order.
Associated with some forms of Arminian and evangelical theology.

6. Scapegoat Theory
Developed by René Girard, it suggests that Jesus' death exposes and subverts the mechanism of scapegoating and human violence.
Often discussed in the context of mimetic theory and cultural criticism.

7. Narrative/Participation Theory
Focuses on Christ's story as inviting humans to participate in God's redemption narrative, restoring relationship and identity.
Associated with some contemporary theologians and postmodern perspectives.

8. Recapitulation Theory
Traces back to Irenaeus of Lyons, emphasizing Christ's re-living of human life to undo the effects of Adam's disobedience and restore humanity.
Foundational in some Eastern Orthodox and patristic theology.

9. Kaleidoscopic or Multiple Theories
Advocates for a holistic approach that integrates various atonement theories, recognizing their complementary aspects.
Proposes that different aspects of Christ's work can be understood through multiple metaphors and models

I guess these two theories above look closer to my current understanding of atonement, plus another one not mentioned in the list:

The Pastoral Theory
Jesus sacrifice replaces animal sacrifice as a symbol because it works better to address a big problem in the first Christian congregations: the demand placed by Judaizing converts over Greek converts to attend the Temple in Jerusalem for animal sacrifices (and, for that matter, to keep the Law of Moses as a whole). Replacing the slaughtering of lambs by the sacrifice of the "Lamb of God" is equivalent to replacing foreskin circumcision with the "circumcision of the heart" or keeping the Sabbath with "entering Christ's rest".
It is a new "spiritual reinterpretation" of an old bloody ritual.

Yes, that’s what we believe.

There is a thread that discusses the Atonement in which a Forum member listed different theories on the value/ meaning of atonement.
Two of them resonared with me strongly, plus a third one that was not in the list and that I brought to enrich the perspectives.
Let me see if I can find the link.

Meanwhile, I can tell you that we keep in high esteem the sacrifice of Jesus for mankind. Bahá’u’lláh briefly refered to it in intense, poetic terms. It is just thst we don’t believe in the penal substitutionary theory. I have searched in the Bible, and this is a topic I will be very glad to discuss with those interested.
Many of us Christians do not believe in the penal substitute theory (aka: Propitiation) because it presents God as a Legalistic Judge who demands repayment of debt in order to show mercy. The appeasing of an irate Deity by offering Him an innocent sacrifice, which bears the weight of His wrath, may be acceptable in paganism but it has no place in Christianity.

Instead, we believe in Expiation which is in line with the OT and is the atonement and sacrifice for sins, something which changes us and brings about forgiveness, not something which changes God’s disposition toward us.

Here is the link to my complete study on Propitiation versus Expiation:

It all stems from the conviction that God forgives our debt without demanding someone else to pay for it.
The correct way to look at the Cross is that God still had death to destroy. And Christ did just that by descending into Hades and crippling it as only God can. Now eternal life is available to everyone who repents and believes Christ. Thus, our sins are forgiven and paid by God in that sense.

Hi @civic and @synergy

The thread opened by the Administrator is the one with the list of theories on atonement, in a post by @Johann
The list includes:

There are several prominent theories of atonement in contemporary theology, each offering a different perspective on the meaning and significance of Christ's death and resurrection. Here are some of the main theories:

1. Penal Substitutionary Atonement (PSA)
Focuses on Christ bearing the punishment for sin on behalf of humanity, satisfying the demands of divine justice.
Associated with Reformed and evangelical Protestant theology.

2. Christus Victor
Emphasizes Christ's victory over the powers of sin, death, and evil, liberating humanity from bondage.
Foundational in early Christianity and Eastern Orthodox theology.

3. Moral Influence Theory
Highlights Christ's death as a demonstration of God's love, intended to inspire moral transformation in humanity.
Associated with some forms of liberal and moral exemplarist theology.

4. Satisfaction Theory
Developed by Anselm of Canterbury, it posits that Christ's death satisfies the demands of God's honor offended by human sin.
Influential in Roman Catholic and some Protestant traditions.

5. Governmental Theory
Proposes that Christ's death demonstrates God's justice and serves as a public example to uphold moral order.
Associated with some forms of Arminian and evangelical theology.

6. Scapegoat Theory
Developed by René Girard, it suggests that Jesus' death exposes and subverts the mechanism of scapegoating and human violence.
Often discussed in the context of mimetic theory and cultural criticism.

7. Narrative/Participation Theory
Focuses on Christ's story as inviting humans to participate in God's redemption narrative, restoring relationship and identity.
Associated with some contemporary theologians and postmodern perspectives.

8. Recapitulation Theory
Traces back to Irenaeus of Lyons, emphasizing Christ's re-living of human life to undo the effects of Adam's disobedience and restore humanity.
Foundational in some Eastern Orthodox and patristic theology.

9. Kaleidoscopic or Multiple Theories
Advocates for a holistic approach that integrates various atonement theories, recognizing their complementary aspects.
Proposes that different aspects of Christ's work can be understood through multiple metaphors and models
Your statement that "God forgives our debt without demanding someone else to pay for it" pretty well nullifies all the above mentioned types of atonements. So then the Cross is superfluous for the Baha'i faithful when it comes to asking for God's forgiveness. Am I correct?

This Baha’i teaching sounds a lot like the Trinity

The Unity of the Manifestations of God and the Causes of Religious Differences From the Bahá’í perspective, the appearance and teachings of the Manifestations of God are not random or divergent. Instead, the Manifestations are divine educators who have revealed God’s message in an orderly, continuous, and progressive way. Their teachings are part of a single spiritual process — different stages in the development of one religion.

According to the Bahá’í teachings, All these holy, divine Manifestations are one. They have served one God, promulgated the same truth, founded the same institutions and reflected the same light. Their appearances have been successive and correlated; each One has announced and extolled the One Who was to follow, and all laid the foundation of reality. They summoned and invited the people to love and made the human world a mirror of the Word of God. . . .

The Bahá’í scriptures offer several explanations. First, the Manifestations of God have each brought to humanity two types of teachings: essential, spiritual teachings and temporary, social teachings. The essential teachings concern spiritual virtues and divine qualities such as faith in God, the love of fellow human beings, justice, righteousness, trustworthiness, and humility. These are eternal commandments that will never be abolished. As such, spiritual teachings like the golden rule — treating one’s neighbor as one wishes to be treated — appear in all of the world’s major religions.

This is quite different from the Trinity. The Manifestations seem to refer to different gurus and the various religious groups. Essentially it is an ecumenical polytheistic belief but pretends that the various gods are just a single god. The Masonic beliefs could have parallels in this respect. (Sorry if there is some degree of error. I mainly was addressing a possible misconception of the descriptions.)

Last edited:
Here is the link to my complete study on Propitiation versus Expiation:

The correct way to look at the Cross is that God still had death to destroy. And Christ did just that by descending into Hades and crippling it as only God can. Now eternal life is available to everyone who repents and believes Christ. Thus, our sins are forgiven and paid by God in that sense.
This is a very interesting view and I will make a point of reading your posts.
Have a wonderful day, my friend.

This is quite different from the Trinity. The Manifestations seem to refer to different gurus and the various religious groups. Essentially it is an ecumenical polytheistic belief but pretends that the various gods are just a single god. The Masonic beliefs could have parallels in this respect. (Sorry if there is some degree of error. I mainly was addressing a possible misconception of the descriptions.)
Hi mikesw and @synergy

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
The Baha'i Faith is a strictly monotheistic religion.
The Manifestations of God are not God nor "gods". God is One, Eternal, Almighty, All Merciful, inaccessible and incomprehensible except by the way He reveals himself through the Manifestations.
For example, Jesus said that nobody could know the Father or come to the Father except for him. This is the concept of a Manifestation. God speaks and acts through a Person who reflects his attributes.

Your statement that "God forgives our debt without demanding someone else to pay for it" pretty well nullifies all the above mentioned types of atonements. So then the Cross is superfluous for the Baha'i faithful when it comes to asking for God's forgiveness. Am I correct?

It is compatible with theories 2 and 3 ("Christus Victor" and "Moral Influence").
And based on what you say in your post 13, you also believe that God was not demanding any "payment" in order to show mercy.

Hi mikesw and @synergy

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
The Baha'i Faith is a strictly monotheistic religion.
The Manifestations of God are not God nor "gods". God is One, Eternal, Almighty, All Merciful, inaccessible and incomprehensible except by the way He reveals himself through the Manifestations.
For example, Jesus said that nobody could know the Father or come to the Father except for him. This is the concept of a Manifestation. God speaks and acts through a Person who reflects his attributes.
All the false manifestations have their own god. So how can I be wrong in summing it up the way I have?

Against the Baha'i Faith, Christ says we can know the Father through him. As I understand Islam, they say you cannot know their Allah. Also, their concept of a god is quite different from the true God. So some of the manifestations must be liars.

Last edited:
All the false manifestations have their own god. So how can I be wrong in summing it up the way I have?

Against the Baha'i Faith, Christ says we can know the Father through him. As I understand Islam, they say you cannot know their Allah. Also, their concept of a god is quite different from the true God. So some of the manifestations must be liars.

We believe that the God of Noah, Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, The Báb and Bahá'u'lláh is the same God.

All of them believed that God was One, Almighty, All Merciful, All Wise, Eternal, Creator and Sustainer of the Universe.
These are the essential attributes of God.

Now, God manifests Himself with different names, analogies, titles, and specific plans to suit the needs and capacities of His children.
For example, let's take the concept of God as a Father.
In the Old Testament, the references to God as "Father" are very very scarce (if I remember correctly, perhaps only in post-exile writings). However, Jesus speaks of God as "Father". There is reason for that. However, Jesus worshiped the same God that all ancient Israelites worshiped.

As religions develop, also the believer's ideas of God develop... for good or for bad.
The fact that our discourse or theology about God differs does NOT mean, though, that we worship different gods.

Back
Top Bottom