Staying in Step with the Truth of the Gospel

Aeliana

Book of Galatians was the first book of the Bible that I actually did a deep study on. I've always referred to it since then as the Grace Gospel. To me the ultimate question the letter seeks to answer is, how should we live in light of the good news that Jesus Christ has died and been raised? I think it's important to be able to live out the gospel if we want to be effective in sharing the gospel.

To me this is what Paul wants to unpack in this letter, and this is what I'm seeking to unpack in this post: gospel-rooted living.

What I admire about Paul is he doesn’t hesitate to expound the truth of the gospel—what the gospel is and what the gospel isn’t. But his purpose goes beyond mere exposition; his goal is to ensure that the Galatians actually live the truth of the gospel; or, to use a phrase from today’s passage, Paul wants to call them back to conduct that is “in step with the truth of the gospel”.

"But as soon as I saw that they were not straightforward and were not living up to the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas (Peter) before everybody present, If you, though born a Jew, can live [as you have been living] like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how do you dare now to urge and practically force the Gentiles to [comply with the ritual of Judaism and] live like Jews"? Ga 2:14

In this passage Paul throws the spotlight on what it means to stay “in step with the truth of the gospel.” But he does so not by telling us two or three ways in which we stay in step with the truth of the gospel. (He will get to that) Instead in this passage we see the converse: how one falls out of step with the truth of the gospel.

But know this also, there is a great threat to staying “in step with the truth of the gospel”: hypocrisy. Our faithfulness to the truth of the gospel is constantly under threat from hypocrisy. Most often when we fail to live out the truth of the gospel, we’ve veered off into hypocrisy. So, in order to stay faithful to the gospel, you and I must be vigilant in our fight against hypocrisy’s menacing presence.

But what is hypocrisy? It’s someone who fails to practice what he or she preaches. But in that case I’m a chronic hypocrite because I never live up to my own ideals, and I suspect you don’t either. The word hypocrite ultimately came into English from the Greek word hypokrites, which means “an actor” or “a stage player.” Thus the word came to suggest “the concealing of one’s true character, thoughts, or feelings under a guise implying something quite different.” When you act hypocritically, you mask your true convictions and play a part that’s not really yours.

We all understand, of course, that we can affirm something to be true and yet fail to live up to it. This is what it means to deal with our own sin and struggles. But we must understand as well that we can affirm something to be true and yet intentionally live in a way that covers that up and makes it look like we don’t believe it to be true. This is the kind of playacting the Bible calls hypocrisy. It’s a kind of treachery, like a husband who removes his wedding ring so he can play the part of a single man. It’s an act of dishonesty and disloyalty.

In what situations are we tempted to playact, to cover up what we believe by how we live? In what situations do we find that we’re putting on a mask that conceals our true convictions about the gospel or who Jesus is?

Let me end for now with this:

In Romans 1, Paul addresses the Gentile believers at Rome and begins by explaining his mission, which was to preach the gospel to everyone. He concludes his explanation by saying, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: ‘The righteous will live by faith’” (Romans 1:16–17; cf. Habakkuk 2:4).

Sounds like it taking the message of grace and turning it into works, "Don't be X, don't do X" instead of "Trust Jesus did X for you."

That's the very thing Galatians was written against.

Sounds like it taking the message of grace and turning it into works, "Don't be X, don't do X" instead of "Trust Jesus did X for you."

That's the very thing Galatians was written against.
How do you reconcile the above with all the scripture below ?

Jesus teaching

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 6:46
Why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I say?

Luke 11:28
Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it

John 8:31
If you hold to My teaching you are truly My disciples

John 13:17
If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

John 13:34-35
I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

John 14:15
If you love Me you will keep My commandments

John 14:21
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.

John 15:14
You are My friends if you do what I command you

John 15:17
This is My command to you: Love one another.

John the disciple whom Jesus loved teaching:

1 John 2
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

1 John 2
Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

1 John 2
If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

1 John 3
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

1 John 4
If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

1 John 5
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith

Paul's teaching:

Shall we continue in sin that grace might abound ? May it NEVER be !

Galatians 5
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Colossians 3
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Ephesians 2
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

Titus 2:11-15
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age; 13 looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works. 15 Say these things and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one despise you.

Oh sorry I left Peter out :)

Peters Teaching

1 Peter 1
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

1 Peter 4
As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.

2 Peter 1:3-11
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. 10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If you could put it in one or two sentences....

What is the truth of the gospel?

OK. It's the “good news” that Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty for our sin so that we might become the children of God through faith alone in Christ alone.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel.
—Romans 1:16

Book of Galatians was the first book of the Bible that I actually did a deep study on. I've always referred to it since then as the Grace Gospel. To me the ultimate question the letter seeks to answer is, how should we live in light of the good news that Jesus Christ has died and been raised? I think it's important to be able to live out the gospel if we want to be effective in sharing the gospel.

To me this is what Paul wants to unpack in this letter, and this is what I'm seeking to unpack in this post: gospel-rooted living.

What I admire about Paul is he doesn’t hesitate to expound the truth of the gospel—what the gospel is and what the gospel isn’t. But his purpose goes beyond mere exposition; his goal is to ensure that the Galatians actually live the truth of the gospel; or, to use a phrase from today’s passage, Paul wants to call them back to conduct that is “in step with the truth of the gospel”.

"But as soon as I saw that they were not straightforward and were not living up to the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas (Peter) before everybody present, If you, though born a Jew, can live [as you have been living] like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how do you dare now to urge and practically force the Gentiles to [comply with the ritual of Judaism and] live like Jews"? Ga 2:14

In this passage Paul throws the spotlight on what it means to stay “in step with the truth of the gospel.” But he does so not by telling us two or three ways in which we stay in step with the truth of the gospel. (He will get to that) Instead in this passage we see the converse: how one falls out of step with the truth of the gospel.

But know this also, there is a great threat to staying “in step with the truth of the gospel”: hypocrisy. Our faithfulness to the truth of the gospel is constantly under threat from hypocrisy. Most often when we fail to live out the truth of the gospel, we’ve veered off into hypocrisy. So, in order to stay faithful to the gospel, you and I must be vigilant in our fight against hypocrisy’s menacing presence.

But what is hypocrisy? It’s someone who fails to practice what he or she preaches. But in that case I’m a chronic hypocrite because I never live up to my own ideals, and I suspect you don’t either. The word hypocrite ultimately came into English from the Greek word hypokrites, which means “an actor” or “a stage player.” Thus the word came to suggest “the concealing of one’s true character, thoughts, or feelings under a guise implying something quite different.” When you act hypocritically, you mask your true convictions and play a part that’s not really yours.

We all understand, of course, that we can affirm something to be true and yet fail to live up to it. This is what it means to deal with our own sin and struggles. But we must understand as well that we can affirm something to be true and yet intentionally live in a way that covers that up and makes it look like we don’t believe it to be true. This is the kind of playacting the Bible calls hypocrisy. It’s a kind of treachery, like a husband who removes his wedding ring so he can play the part of a single man. It’s an act of dishonesty and disloyalty.

In what situations are we tempted to playact, to cover up what we believe by how we live? In what situations do we find that we’re putting on a mask that conceals our true convictions about the gospel or who Jesus is?

In Romans 1, Paul addresses the Gentile believers at Rome and begins by explaining his mission, which was to preach the gospel to everyone. He concludes his explanation by saying, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: ‘The righteous will live by faith’” (Romans 1:16–17; cf. Habakkuk 2:4).
I enjoyed your post you are so insightful.

Indeed she is and check out her devotionals.
Thanks for the compliment but they're actually devotionals created by Joyce Meyers. Her husband Dave is very good also if you're interested in "God in America".

How do you reconcile the above with all the scripture below ?

Jesus teaching

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

it is extremely hard to say or consider
but some did not come from God...
different father. literally not symbolically.

esau.

Luke 6:46
Why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I say?
because esau hates God.
and lies to mislead others as to his true
allegiance, to gain an upper hand and
confuse souls by his treachery.

today esau fills the halls of seminaries and biblical studies.

and Hates God... and says Lord Lord all day long.

Last edited:
In the movie robin hood prince of thieves (1991)
the bishop who tries to force marry off
marian to nottingham is a perfect example of an esau.
and also nottingham is an example.
they are evil..
others in the movie who 'do wrong',
and later understand and straighten out, are not

And lets not forget what the gospel is and how its defined.

1- it is the power of God to salvation for all those who believe ( Romans 1:16 )
2- it the life, death ( he died for our sins according to the scriptures ), burial, resurrection seen by many witnesses over 40 days. ( 1 Corinthians 15:1-8)

So as Peter puts in we are born again through believing the gospel message ( the living and abiding word of God - 1 Peter 1:23, James 1:18 )

hope tis helps !!!

In Matthew 4:15-23, Christ began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14). In Romans 15:18-19, Paul's Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from our sins.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Christ began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14). In Romans 15:18-19, Paul's Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from our sins.
I like it, very clear, precise explanation of the Gospel. Yes it does convict us of sin. The gospel lets us know why our way hasn't been working and shows us the way to True Life, The Holy Spirit enlightens our minds to know Christ, reveals Him to us, forms Him in out hearts, and brings us to build all our hopes of eternal glory on Him alone.

The entire Bible centers on a single, surprisingly simple theme: God loves you so much that He made a way to be forgiven for every sin, so you can spend eternity with Him. That’s the essence of the gospel, and the central subject of the Scriptures. The written Word of God is intended to help us understand this “good news.” By studying the Bible, we learn that each person needs to be saved (Romans 3:23), each person can be saved (Romans 1:16), and God wants each person to be saved (2 Peter 3:9).

What separates us from God is sin. No matter how good we think we are, every person is guilty of sin (1 John 1:10). Since God is absolutely perfect, no one deserves to spend eternity in heaven. Instead, we deserve to be separated from Him forever (Romans 5:16). No amount of effort, no good deeds, no money, no talent, no achievements are enough to take away this guilt (Isaiah 64:6). Fortunately, God doesn’t want us to be separated from Him, so He made a way to fix what’s broken (John 3:16-17).

That one and only way is through faith in Jesus Christ (John 14:6). God Himself came to earth, as a human, living a perfect and sinless life (Hebrews 4:15). He willingly died as a sacrifice to pay the debt for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). According to the Scriptures, anyone can be “saved”—forgiven by God and guaranteed heaven—through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 10:13). This isn’t a call for blind, ignorant belief (Acts 17:11; 1 John 4:1). It’s an invitation from the Holy Spirit to submission and trust (James 4:7). It’s a choice to let go of everything else in order to rely entirely on God.

There is nothing anyone can “do” in order to be saved. The only way a person can find salvation is by accepting Jesus Christ as their savior. This simply means believing that…
That’s it! Anyone who truly believes those things is forgiven, changed from the inside out (James 1:18; 2 Corinthians 5:17), and destined for heaven. The gospel is simple enough for anyone to understand (Matthew 18:13), but very difficult for people to accept (Romans 1:20-21). The truth of the gospel means we are not perfect. We are not in total control of our lives (Psalm 39:5). We cannot save ourselves. We need something “more” than us to make things right (1 Thessalonians 4:8).

Becoming a Christian is not about being better than others. The gospel is for those who admit they are weak and need to be rescued (2 Corinthians 12:9). That’s a hard truth, but everything we learn from the Bible proves this truth. Each theme explored in Scripture points towards this gospel message of sin, redemption, and salvation through faith.

It’s the most important decision a person will ever make: do I accept what God offers, or do I turn my back on it (Matthew 7:13)?

Which one will you choose (2 Corinthians 6:2)?

Get the app

Back
Top Bottom