Promises for Your Everyday Life

Facing the Truth Brings a Happier Life

Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Test andprove yourselves [not Christ]. Do you not yourselves realize and know [thoroughly by an ever-increasing experience] that Jesus Christ is in you–unless you are [counterfeits] disapproved on trial and rejected? 2 Corinthians 13:5

Nobody can be set free from a problem until they're willing to admit they have one. An alcoholic, drug addict or anyone who's lost control of their life is doomed to suffer until they're able to say, "I've got a problem, and I need help with it."

Even though our problems may have been brought upon us because of something done against our will, we have no excuse for allowing the problem to persist, grow and even take control over our entire life. Our past experiences may have made us the way we are, but we don't have to stay that way. We can take the initiative by taking positive steps to change things, and we can ask for God's help.

Whatever your problem may be, you must face the truth and assume some personal responsibility. The Bible says we must evaluate ourselves. That might seem daunting, but Jesus Christ is in you and can help you through any past problems and issues.
Face the truth, it can be the beginning of a happier life!

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I don't want to live in denial and fear of my problems. I choose to evaluate myself and get to the bottom of these issues because I know that You can help me work through them to have a happier life.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Live at Peace with Everyone

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18

An important lesson I've learned is to "bend so I will not break." The Bible says to "readily adjust yourself to [people, things]. And, if possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:16, 18 AMP).

Before I made the Word of God a priority in my life and decided to live an obedient life, I had to have my own way. I wasn't adaptable. I wanted everyone else to adapt to me. Of course, that resulted in more strife and stress.

I've now learned to bend. It's not always easy on the flesh to give in and do things differently than I had planned, but it's easier than being upset and miserable.

If you want to have peace in your relationships, you will need to be willing to be flexible. Pushing for your own way all the time will only hurt and offend those around you. But when you take to heart Paul's encouragement to 'live at peace with everyone,' the Holy Spirit will fill your relationships with His joy and peace.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, help me to bend so that I will not break. I want Your peace in my relationships, so I choose to be flexible today.

Be Filled with the Holy Spirit and Give in to God's Temptations

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Ephesians 5:18

We all know that Satan tempts us to sin, and in a way, you could say God also 'tempts' us. God tempts, or prompts, us to do good. And when He does, Satan often attacks our mind, causing us to reason our way out of doing it. When we fall for that, he steals from us the opportunity to do good and be blessed.

It seems that we're better at resisting the temptation to do right than we are at resisting the temptation to do wrong. But it doesn't have to be this way.

James 4:7 (AMP) says, "Be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you." It's a twofold thing. You can't resist the devil without submitting to God. And you can't submit to God without resisting the devil.

Ephesians 5:18 tells us to "ever be filled and stimulated with the [Holy] Spirit." When you're full of the Spirit, you are submitted to God and you can resist the devil and win the battle.

Prayer Starter: God, fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I submit myself to You and want to follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit to do good and bless people today.

As You Have Believed

Then to the centurion Jesus said, Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed. And the servant boy was restored to health at that very moment. Matthew 8:13

Many years ago I was extremely negative because of the devastating abuse that had taken place in my past. The result was that I expected people to hurt me, and they did. I expected people to be dishonest, and they were. I was afraid to believe that anything good might happen.

I thought I was protecting myself from being hurt by not expecting anything good to happen. But when I really began to study the Word and trust God to restore me, I began to realize that all of my negativism had to go.

In Matthew 8:13, Jesus says that it will be done for us as we have believed. I believed everything was negative, so naturally many negative things happened to me. I decided I wanted positive things to happen to me, so I started believing positive things, and over time, received positive results!

Are you constantly experiencing negative things and wondering why? It could be time for you to start believing different things. Start trusting God and believing for the best. Then watch as He works things out for you according to your faith.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I want to get rid of all negativism and start believing for better things. Help me to stir up my faith, believing that You can do great things in my life.

The Key to Uprooting the Devil's Plan

Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset–rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined], knowing that the same (identical) sufferings are appointed to your brotherhood (the whole body of Christians) throughout the world. 1 Peter 5:9

If you want the great and mighty things God has for you, then you must get to the root of your negative mindsets and deal with them. Because until the roots are removed, they'll continue to produce one bad fruit after another.

Too often we spend our lives dealing with the bad fruit of our behavior, but we never dig deep enough to get to the root of the problem. Digging deep to take care of the bad root is painful, but it's the only lasting way to take care of the problem. We can either suffer positively, doing what's right, or we can go with the devil's plan. His goal is to keep you stuck in your old habits forever.

Peter tells us to be well-balanced and temperate, withstanding the devil at his onset (see 1 Peter 5:8-9). You must decide if you want the pain that will take you into a new realm of glory or to keep your same old pain and try to hide it while it's rotting inside you.

Withstand the devil today and follow the Holy Spirit to the plan God has for you.

Prayer Starter: God, I need Your help to withstand the devil's plan. I know digging out bad roots is painful, but if it brings me closer to Your plan for me, I want to do it. Strengthen me as I resist the devil and submit myself to follow You.

Let Peace Rule Your Life

And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. Colossians 3:15

We all have emotions, and they're here to stay. I believe one of the main goals of every believer should be emotional stability. We should seek God to learn how to manage our emotions and not allow them to manage us.

Think about this: You're out shopping for a specific item you're in need of. You've made a commitment to the Lord to get out of debt. You've agreed to really watch your spending and not purchase things you don't need. But while shopping, you discover that the stores are having a big sale of 50 percent off the already marked down merchandise. What do you do? Do you follow your emotions and give in, or do you wait until your emotions settle before making a decision?

God wants you to make decisions ruled by peace. Letting His peace rule you often means waiting a little while until the emotions settle down, then checking to see if you really believe it's the right thing to do.

Don't let your emotions make your decisions. Always go with peace.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I choose to let Your peace rule in my heart. I don't want to make decisions based on my emotions, but I want to calmly and peacefully choose the paths that You want me to take.

Making 'Common' Things Holy

One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike [sacred]. Let everyone be fully convinced (satisfied) in his own mind. Romans 14:5

Often we feel divided within ourselves, struggling to get finished with common life and everyday business so we can return to holy things because we feel that we are holier, or more right with God, when we are doing what we believe to be holy things.

We must have understanding how, in reality, there's no difference between what's common and holy, except in our minds. Everything we do is to be offered to the Lord; and if done so with a pure heart of love, it becomes holy. You can do common tasks, like go to the grocery store, and it'll be just as holy as prayer, as long as you do it all to the glory and honor of God.

Romans 14 is an excellent chapter in the Bible to bring liberty in this area. My personal translation of verses 5-6 is that one man sees prayer and Bible study as holier than ordinary tasks, while a person who's really free in the Lord sees them all alike (all holy), because whatever he does, he does in honor of the Lord.

Instead of only giving part of your life to God, make a choice today to make everything you do holy by offering it to Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I want my entire life to be holy, not just one section of it. I offer all of my everyday activities to You. I live my life to honor You.

Do You Ever Feel Too Needed?

Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit andempty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than andsuperior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves]. Philippians 2:3

Philippians 2:3 says to regard others more than yourself. The Holy Spirit wants to develop in us a desire to prefer others and meet their needs. However, living this way can sometimes be tiring. Let's face it - we all have days when we don't want to go out of our way to help someone else.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed trying to help others the way I think I should. At times it seems all of my family members need me, my employees need me, my friends need me, and they all need me in different ways.

Do I ever feel too needed? Yes! And it's OK if you do too. We all feel overwhelmed from time to time. But we must remember that God gives us grace to do whatever He's asking us to do.

When you feel weary trying to meet the needs of others, go back to Philippians 2:3 and ask the Holy Spirit to help you. Humble yourself before God and He will strengthen you to be there for the people in your life that He's asking you to help.

Prayer Starter: God, I want to obey Your Word and regard others more than myself. When I'm struggling, lacking a desire to help others and feel overwhelmed, give me Your grace and strength to love and help the people You've placed in my life.

God's Word Is Good Medicine

He sends forth His word and heals them and rescues them from the pit and destruction. Psalm 107:20

Many make the mistake of substituting belief in healing for the actual taking of God's medicine - His Word. They say, 'I believe in healing' without actually taking the medicine. How much good can medicine do for us if we don't take it?

God's Word is His medicine - it's a healing agent, just as natural medicine is a healing agent or catalyst. In other words, the medicine itself contains the capacity to produce healing. Inherent within God's Word is the capacity, the energy, the ability, and the nature to effect healing in your body.

So how do we take it? It is only as God's Word gets in the midst of your heart and stays there that it produces healing in your body. Head knowledge alone won't do. The Scriptures have to penetrate to your spirit through meditation - attending, hearing, looking, muttering, musing, pondering - to produce healing in your body. But once the Word really penetrates your heart, it will surely bring health to all your flesh. Let the Word of God penetrate deep within your heart today.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose today to meditate on Your healing Word. With Your Word deep in my heart, I know that Your healing will fill my body.

Forgiveness: The Key to Keeping the Devil Out of Your Life

If you forgive anyone anything, I too forgive that one; and what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sakes in the presence [and with the approval] of Christ (the Messiah),11 To keep Satan from getting the advantage over us; for we are not ignorant of his wiles and intentions. 2 Corinthians 2:10-11

Forgiveness helps us because it releases God to do His work in us. I'm happier and feel better physically when I'm not filled with the poison of unforgiveness. Serious diseases can develop as a result of the stress and pressure that bitterness, resentment and unforgiveness put on a person.

The Father can't forgive our sins if we don't forgive other people. We reap what we sow. Sow mercy, and you'll reap mercy; sow judgment, and you'll reap judgment. You need to forgive, by the grace of God in your life, to leave the door of your heart open to the Lord.

Unforgiveness gives the devil a foothold, which he needs to create a stronghold. When he has a stronghold, he can block the influence of the Holy Spirit. But whether or not he has the power to do that in your life is entirely up to you.

When you forgive, it keeps the enemy from getting an advantage over you and keeps your fellowship with God flowing freely. So do yourself a favor, and be quick to forgive.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to give Satan a foothold or a stronghold in my life. I don't want anything to hinder or get in the way of my fellowship with You. I release my unforgiveness so that I can fellowship freely with You.

How to Experience His Presence in Your Everyday Life

Jesus answered, If a person [really] loves Me, he will keep My word [obey My teaching]; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home (abode, special dwelling place) with him. John 14:23

Life is busy and filled with distractions. It's so easy to get caught up in our cares, errands and worries that we lose sight of what matters most.

There's an interesting little story at the end of Luke chapter two about when Mary and Joseph took Jesus to Jerusalem for Passover when He was twelve years old. After the festival was over, they left to go home, supposing He was with them.

I wonder how many times we suppose God's with us when we've wandered off to do our own thing?

Now here's the interesting part. Mary and Joseph had traveled a day's journey before they realized Jesus wasn't with them and then it took three days to find Him. Three days! The message here is that it's easier to lose that special presence of God than it is to get it back once we've lost it.

We need to be careful to remain in the presence of God. When we do, we make God feel at home in our hearts.

This simply starts with being obedient to His Word. A commitment to turn from behavior that offends God is the number one sign of spiritual maturity. It shows you care about what He thinks.

That means you choose to be generous toward others, you learn to forgive, let go of your offenses and live in peace. When we choose to be intentional with our words, giving thanks to God and lifting up others, we'll feel connected to God all throughout the day.

Prayer Starter: Father, thank You for making Your home in my heart. I need Your presence today, Lord. Help me to honor You with my thoughts and my words and to be a blessing to those around me.

Receive the Holy Spirit and the Power to Forgive

And having said this, He breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit! John 20:22

God wants us to live lives of forgiveness. We all must willingly choose to obey God and forgive any offense, from the smallest to the largest, no matter how much the devil tries to poison our thoughts with bitterness. This is often easier said than done, but God doesn't expect you to do it on your own.

You cannot forgive without the power of the Holy Spirit. It's too hard to do on your own, but if you are truly willing, He will send the Spirit to help and enable you. You just need to be willing and humble and cry out to Him for help.

In John 20:22, Jesus breathed on the disciples and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit!" His next instruction was about forgiving people.

He's saying the same thing to you. He wants to fill you with the Holy Spirit and enable you to forgive, but you have to ask and receive Him. If you are willing, God can give you the power to get rid of any bitterness and unforgiveness in your heart.

Ask God to breathe the Holy Spirit on you so that you can forgive those who have hurt you.

Prayer Starter: God, I am willing. Breathe on me and fill me with Your Spirit. I choose to receive the enabling power of the Holy Spirit and forgive.

Vengeance Is God's

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for [God's] wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord. Romans 12:19

When someone makes us angry, Satan likes to attack us and keep us upset. Responding in a positive way is the direct opposite of what the enemy wants you to do, defeating his plan to keep you upset. It doesn't come naturally, and it isn't always easy, but when we do what we can do, God will do what we can't do.

When someone angers and offends you, a natural response for many of us is to try and pay them back. But if you really pay them back, what will you gain? You'll only make them angrier and then they might try and pay you back again. The cycle never ends!

If we hang on to anger, we're just being foolish. We must turn the anger and the people who caused it over to God and let Him take care of it. ..Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord. .

Trust God and He will take care of you and protect you. You can't change what happened, but when you give it to God, He'll use it to bring you a better future.

Prayer Starter: God, I believe that vengeance is Yours and that paying people back in anger is not something You want me to do. I give my anger to You and trust that You will take care of me.

The Lifter of Our Heads

But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

God has good plans for you and He wants you to enjoy your life. He doesn't want you to live with a spirit of heaviness, despair, depression or discouragement. The good news is, your attitude and outlook can change when you look to God and let Him lift you up.

The psalmist said that God "is a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head." Think about that phrase 'the lifter of my head.' When someone walks around with their head hanging down, we assume that they're sad or depressed. If that's the way you feel, know today that God can lift your head and your spirits.

Remember, God has a good plan with a future and a hope for each of us. Because He is with us, we can think and speak in agreement with His will. We can practice being positive in every situation that arises. And when our circumstances are challenging and difficult, we can expect God to bring good out of them as He has promised in His Word.

Prayer Starter: God, You are my glory and the lifter of my head. I choose to look to You. Help me to keep my focus on You and trust You to bring Your good plans to pass in my life today.

Be a God-Pleaser, Not a Man-Pleaser

Now am I trying to win the favor of men, or of God? Do I seek to please men? If I were still seeking popularity with men, I should not be a bond servant of Christ (the Messiah). Galatians 1:10

Are you the person God created you to be or are you living 'to please men'? According to this scripture, God's will is for us to please Him and be what He wants us to be.

When we choose to be the person God created us to be - unique and different than everybody else - we have to expect some criticism. But you won't like yourself very much if you go against your own convictions.

See, going along with the crowd, when you know in your heart that God's leading you a different way, is one reason people don't succeed at being themselves.

I want to encourage you to step out and be the person God made you to be. Don't let the way another person treats you or responds to you determine your worth. Have the courage to be different and deal with criticism.

Remember that God accepts you and loves you. He made you the way you are for a reason, and you have something special to offer.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to live trying to please men. I dare to be different. I want to win Your favor and be the person You made me to be.

The Wrong Kind of 'Martyr'

But when you give to charity, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, Matthew 6:3

We all know what a martyr is. We've all heard heartrending stories of heroic men and women who have died for Christ. But there's another kind of martyr who isn't courageous and noble, a great and constant sufferer who's always willing to share their pain with anyone who will listen. This martyr wants everyone around to know what sacrifices they're making in their life.

The "martyr trap" is such an easy one to fall into. We start out serving our families and friends and loving it. But after awhile, our hearts begin to change and we begin to expect something in return. Eventually, we no longer have the heart of a servant. Our attitude sours, and we soon find out we've become mired in self-pity. We've become a martyr.

The Bible says to give without letting "your left hand know what your right hand is doing." In other words, God wants us to serve and give without caring if people notice or recognize us.

Have you fallen into the 'martyr trap'? If so, ask God to give you His heart so that you can give selflessly without a concern for recognition.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, show me if I've fallen into the martyr trap. I want to have Your heart for service so that I can give to others the way You want me to, selflessly and with Your joy.

Are You Exhausted, Or Is Jesus Exalted?

But now we are discharged from the Law and have terminated all intercourse with it, having died to what once restrained and held us captive. So now we serve not under [obedience to] the old code of written regulations, but [under obedience to the promptings] of the Spirit in newness [of life]. Romans 7:6

I believe one of the major reasons why many people are stressed and burned out is because they're going their own way instead of following God's plan.

We need to follow the leading of the Spirit as to what we're to be involved in and where we're to expend our energy. We must learn to say yes when He says yes and no when He says no. When we're obedient to God's leading, we'll be able to accomplish what He gives us to do and walk in peace.

Romans 7:6 says we are to be led by the "prompting" of the Spirit. I can remember numerous times when I was tired and the Holy Spirit prompted me to rest, but I continued to push myself to go out or to have company. Then I'd end up exhausted, instead of just being tired. As you know, exhausted people usually get grouchy and impatient.

But when we obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit, Jesus is exalted. So let me ask you this: Are you exhausted...or is Jesus exalted? Follow the Spirit and exalt Him in your life.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to be too exhausted to obey Your promptings. I choose to follow Your plans and exalt You in my life.

Tempted' to Do Good

Therefore let anyone who thinks he stands [who feels sure that he has a steadfast mind and is standing firm], take heed lest he fall [into sin]. 1 Corinthians 10:12

One thing that draws us into temptation is thinking too highly of ourselves and trusting ourselves too much. This is an attitude planted by the enemy. We get prideful and think we're just fine, but then Satan tempts us and we fall into sin.

Now, this next statement might shock you: You need to know that there's also a good kind of temptation. We need to realize that Satan tempts us to do evil, but in a way, God tempts us to do good. Every time the enemy sets a bad option in front of you, God always has a good one ready.

When the temptation to sin feels overwhelming, remember that the Holy Spirit, who is much more powerful than the enemy, also wants to overwhelm you, but in a good way. He wants to influence you to do great things if you will let Him.

God is trying to save our lives. He wants to strengthen us so that no matter what happens, we'll be preserved and protected under His covering. When God tempts you to do good, simply obey.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I want to listen and obey Your good 'temptations.' When the enemy tries to make me stumble, show me Your perfect plan that I can follow instead.

God Gives Grace to the Humble

Likewise, you who are younger and of lesser rank, be subject to the elders (the ministers and spiritual guides of the church)–[giving them due respect and yielding to their counsel]. Clothe (apron) yourselves, all of you, with humility [as the garb of a servant, so that its covering cannot possibly be stripped from you, with freedom from pride and arrogance] toward one another. For God sets Himself against the proud (the insolent, the overbearing, the disdainful, the presumptuous, the boastful)–[and He opposes, frustrates, and defeats them], but gives grace (favor, blessing) to the humble. First Peter 5:5

First Peter 5:5 tells us that God "sets Himself against the proud, but gives grace (favor, blessing) to the humble." And anyone who thinks they're a self-made man or woman has a rude awakening coming because Jesus said, "...Apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing" (John 15:5 AMP).

When we live in pride, trying to succeed without God's help, we're left open to so many attacks of the enemy. But humility is a covering that draws the help of God into our lives to protect us. When we humble ourselves by saying, "God, I don't know what to do, and I'm trusting You," God will help us.

God won't allow us to succeed at anything unless we're leaning and relying on Him. But when we humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God, in due time, He will exalt us (see 1 Peter 5:6). "Due time" is God's time, when God knows we're ready, not when we think we're ready. The sooner we understand and accept that, the sooner God can work out His plan in our lives.

Prayer Starter: God, I humble myself before You, knowing that You will exalt me in due time. I can't succeed on my own. I need Your help.

Developing an Attitude of Prayer in the Midst of Worry

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. Philippians 4:6

When you're under pressure, it's always best to pray about it instead of talk about it. Prayer is the blueprint for a successful life.

During His time on earth, Jesus prayed. He entrusted everything to God through prayer, even His reputation and life. We can do the same. We don't have to explain all the problems to Him; we can just give them to Him and ask Him to take care of everything.

You don't have to complicate prayer. I think a lot of times people wait until they get to their quiet time or church before they really pray, without realizing that they can pray at any time. Just have confidence in simple, believing prayer. Look at Paul's instructions in Philippians 4:6-7. Instead of worrying, simply pray and ask God for help when you find yourself in a difficult situation.

The Bible tells us that God is faithful, that's one of His major characteristics. He can be counted on to come through for us when we pray to Him for help, so we should trust Him totally and completely. When we do, we'll be ready for anything that may come our way.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to live my life worrying. Instead, I decide today to get in the habit of praying to You at all times.

Back
Top Bottom