Promises for Your Everyday Life

Processing Your Anger

Do not be quick in spirit to be angry or vexed, for anger and vexation lodge in the bosom of fools. Ecclesiastes 7:9

All anger, regardless of its cause, has the same effect on our lives. It upsets us, causing us to feel pressure. Keeping anger locked inside and pretending it doesn't exist can even be dangerous to our health. Most of the time we're only hurting ourselves, and the person who angered us isn't even aware of it.

I struggled with terrible anger until God grabbed my attention. I eventually had to find a positive way to process my anger. That was a place of new beginnings for me.

When you face your anger and decide to deal with it God's way, you can overcome it. The Holy Spirit gives us the power to be stable and walk in the fruit of the Spirit. We have the power to forgive those who do injustices in our lives and to love the unlovely.

So we must take responsibility for our anger and learn to deal with it. Instead of keeping it all bottled up inside, seek the Lord and ask Him to help you release it. Process it and bring closure to it, and that will relieve the pressure.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I don't want to keep my anger inside of me because that will only damage me and it's not pleasing to You. I ask for Your help. Help me to relieve the pressure of anger in my life.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Self-Control Applies to Every Area

The Spirit of Truth, Whom the world cannot receive (welcome, take to its heart), because it does not see Him or know and recognize Him. But you know and recognize Him, for He lives with you [constantly] and will be in you. John 14:17

There are certain messages in the Bible that apply to everything - self-control is one of them. It doesn't matter what kind of problem we have in our lives, self-control comes into play in every area. If we don't discipline ourselves, our emotions will rule us and our lives will be miserable.

Exercising self-control means living in moderation. Everything in life requires quality decisions and discipline to make it happen. So many of our problems are a direct result of a lack of discipline. Financial debt happens when we can't control our spending habits, bad health follows when we can't control our eating habits, etc.

If you are in a situation that seems overwhelming to get out of, a lot of discipline and self-control may be required. Thankfully, God has given us the Holy Spirit to live in us and help us.

If you are born again, you have the Spirit of Christ inside you - complete with the fruit of self-control. You may not have developed it, but know that it's there. You have what it takes. Make a decision to develop self-control through your relationship with the Holy Spirit.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose a spirit of discipline and self-control. By the power of Your Spirit in me, I will do what You tell me to do and not be controlled by my feelings.

Why Does a Good God Let Bad Things Happen?

The "god of this world" controls it. Runs it.
He is the author of Lust and Evil.

We, are born into a world that is anti-good, anti-love, anti-Christ".

Most of the time its evil humans who are creating the harm for others...
Often its a carnal person who has some authority , who abuses others with it, because they are evil, in their heart., and that is the heart of all unbelievers, and its found also in very carnal Christians.

EVIL.... such as (Arab) Hamas invading Israel a week ago, and they burned Jewish babies. They burned them, among other ways they killed them.

That is not God causing evil, that is evil men, committing evil ....choosing this.... wanting this...and they did it.

So, being born down here, into a place that is all about death and destruction..... is why we sometimes encounter it.

Evil is here, and we are here, so, that is going to connect from time to time.

A Cord of Three Strands Is Not Easily Broken

And though a man might prevail against him who is alone, two will withstand him. A threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12

There's nothing better than a really great marriage and nothing worse than a bad one. Christian marriages are meant to be living proof that two people can become a strong force in achieving God's will - both for our pleasure and to impact the world.

However, the blending of two individuals into one harmonious marriage is a process that won't happen on its own. A good marriage does not just happen, no matter how wildly in love you are when you get married. You need to invite God into the process.

When we know Jesus and invite Him into our marriage, our relationship is made up of three strands. And there is great strength in the union of a man and woman when Christ is included.

Happiness in marriage is not about finding a spouse who always acts the way we want them to. It is about two imperfect people trusting in a perfect God and conforming to His will and purpose for them. That's a marriage God can bless!

Prayer Starter: God, I love my spouse, but a two-strand cord is not enough. I want to do my part to invite You into our marriage so You can strengthen our love for each other and lead us into Your plan for us.

As Vital as Your Heartbeat

For those who are according to the flesh and are controlled by its unholy desires set their minds on and pursue those things which gratify the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit and are controlled by the desires of the Spirit set their minds on and seek those things which gratify the [Holy] Spirit. Romans 8:5

As believers, right thinking is something that is so important we simply can't live without it. Just like our heartbeat, it's vital because many of the problems we deal with in our lives are rooted in wrong thinking patterns, which are not based on the truth.

Right thinking is a result of regular, personal fellowship with God through prayer and the Word. It is important for us to come to grips with the fact that our lives will not get straightened out until our thinking gets straightened out. Thoughts bear fruit. When you and I think good thoughts, our lives produce good fruit. When we think bad thoughts, our lives produce bad fruit.

The longer I serve God and study His Word, the more I realize how important it is for me to be aware of what's going on in my mind. Where the mind goes, the man follows. Continually watching over our thoughts is the only way we will ever be able to keep them in line with God's Word and win our battle against the enemy.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, You have shown me that right thinking is absolutely vital. I will seek You regularly so that I can think the right thoughts.

We're All Fighting the Good Fight

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. Isaiah 43:2

I believe that one of the lies we often face is that we are the only one fighting against the devil. The devil likes to isolate us and make us think that we are the only one going through what we are going through.

The truth is, we are all fighting. You're not the only one who gets weary. You're not the only one who gets tired of standing and resisting Satan's lies and even resisting your own feelings.

I have to fight the good fight of faith just like you do. And there are countless other believers standing with you against the enemy.

Best of all, God is with you every step of the way. Isaiah 43:2 promises that we'll make it through trying times because God Himself goes with us. When we go through the waters, we won't drown, and when we go through the fire, we won't be burned, all because He is with us.

So be encouraged. Press on. God will give you strength and wisdom for every battle you face.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for being with me and for all Your followers who are also fighting against the enemy. I won't believe the lie that says I am alone. You are faithful and always with those in the body of Christ.

Confidence Through Christ

For we [Christians] are the true circumcision, who worship God in spirit and by the Spirit of God and exult and glory andpride ourselves in Jesus Christ, and put no confidence or dependence [on what we are] in the flesh and on outward privileges and physical advantages and external appearances–Philippians 3:3

True confidence never comes from how we feel or what we can or can't do - it comes from having a revelation of who we are in Christ. When we really know how much God loves us and receive His healing from past hurts, then we will no longer feel the need to base our confidence on things of the flesh.

I can remember a time years ago when I struggled with a lack of confidence because I did not have a college degree like a lot of other preachers I knew. Thankfully, as I began to focus on God's unconditional love for me, I learned to base my confidence on who His Word says I am - the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (see 2 Corinthians 5:21).

Jesus wants to restore true confidence in your life by healing you from things in your past that have damaged the way you feel about yourself. As you look at what is right with God instead of what is wrong with you, you will begin to walk in the confidence that comes from being in Him.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't have to walk around feeling bad about what's wrong with me because I know who I am in Christ. My confidence is in You!

Jesus Came to Guide Us into the Way of Peace

To shine upon and give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to direct and guide our feet in a straight line into the way of peace. Luke 1:79

I believe that peace is one of the most important benefits and greatest blessings God has given us. However, in the busyness of rushing around, we often feel anything but peaceful. But it doesn't need to be that way.

Luke 1:79 says that one of the things God sent Jesus to do is to guide us "into the way of peace." As believers we have the wonderful privilege of walking in God's supernatural peace, regardless of how busy we may be or what is going on around us.

I lived the first forty years of my life without the blessing of peace - I was miserable. I finally came to a point of being so hungry for peace that I was willing to work with God to make whatever changes were necessary in order to have it. Thankfully, I now enjoy a life of peace that often passes understanding. I am able to walk in the path of peace during the storms of life, not just when storms don't exist.

Have you made pursuing peace a priority? God wants you to. Follow the Holy Spirit into the peace that is rightfully yours in Christ.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for sending Jesus to 'direct and guide' my feet into Your peace. I receive Your great blessing of peace for my life.

His Mercies Are Always New

It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not. [Mal. 3:6.]
23 They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.

Each day is a new opportunity to close the door on the past and experience a brand-new start. Even the fact that God divided the days into twenty-four-hour segments is evidence that we need to start over on a regular basis. There is always a new day, a new month and a new year. But in order for us to make use of these new beginnings, we must make a decision to do so.

Are you battling guilt and condemnation? Do you feel bad about something you did years ago or something that happened yesterday? No matter how much time has gone by, the past is still the past. What is done is done, and only God can take care of it now. Your part is to admit your mistake, repent, receive God's forgiveness, and go on.

In Lamentations, the prophet Jeremiah encourages us with the news that God's mercy is new every morning. Every day He gives you a fresh start. I'm so glad that God sends a new batch of mercy daily - we can decide to have a new beginning every day!

Prayer Starter: God, I'm so glad that You're mercies are new every morning! I can start fresh every day because of Your love, mercy, compassion and faithfulness to me!

Receiving God's Healing in Your Entire Being

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers.
3 John 1:2

Your entire being - spirit, soul and body - is very valuable to God and plays an important part in His plan. He has entrusted you with the responsibility of maintaining each part. But there are times in our life when what we can do isn't enough, and we have to trust God to do what only He can do.

Maybe you need a physical healing, like I did when I battled breast cancer in the late 1980s. Or maybe you need to be healed mentally or emotionally, as I did from experiencing years of abuse as a child. Whatever it is, God's Word assures us that He wants you and me to experience health in every part of our being.

When you and I are sick or unhealthy in any way, it keeps us from doing the things God has called us to do and from enjoying the life He has given us. God has a great future planned for you, and being healthy - body, soul and spirit - is an important part of being ready to do whatever He asks of you! Pray for His healing power today.

Prayer Starter: God, I'm so glad that You care about every part of me. For any area of my life that is damaged, I receive Your wonderful healing power.

The Holy Spirit Is Our Drill Instructor

Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience. James 1:3

Mature faith doesn't happen overnight. If we want to have a deep, healthy, solid faith in God, we must exercise our faith to make it stronger.

Think of soldiers in the military. They're not ready for the most intense battles right away when they enlist in a branch of the service. They have to go through basic training. They are drilled and exercised and trained relentlessly. Drill instructors are assigned to do this 'equipping' because soldiers need to possess strength, stamina, resilience and endurance.

Let's think about this in terms of our faith. First, we enlist, or give our lives to Christ. Then we begin a regimen of basic training, or faith building. The Holy Spirit acts as our Drill Instructor in this case.

The Holy Spirit knows exactly what we each need as a faith-building requirement so we can be prepared in season and out of season. We just need to obey Him, even when it's challenging, trusting that He knows how to build our faith.

When you let the Holy Spirit train you, the results - a strong, solid faith in God - are well worth the time and effort.

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, I submit myself to Your instruction. I want to have a mature, solid faith in You. Train me so I can walk by faith, not sight, trusting God in every situation and for every provision I need.

The Freedom of a Calm, Cool and Steady Life

for you, be calm and cool and steady, accept and suffer unflinchingly every hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fully perform all the duties of your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:5

People are born to be free; it's a gift from God. The question is, are you willing to go through whatever it takes to be free, or do you want to stay in the mess you're in for the rest of your life? If you want to be free, the key is to start doing what God wants you to do, one step at a time, and you'll eventually walk out of your messes.

In 2 Timothy 4:5, Paul told Timothy to be calm, cool and steady and to keep performing the duties of his ministry. That's good advice for all of us.

Instead of being ruled by our emotions when we're confronted with problems, we should calm down and focus on doing what God has called us to do. If you're upset about something, instead of letting it ruin your life, turn it into something good.

Overcome evil and anger by praying for those who hurt and abuse you. Counter feelings of selfishness by doing something good for someone else.

Whenever the enemy tries to stir up your emotions, calm down and do what God has called you to do!

Prayer Starter: Holy Spirit, help me to be calm, cool and steady, so that I can be free to do the work that You are calling me to do.

Put on the New Nature

And put on the new nature (the regenerate self) created in God's image, [Godlike] in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:24

After all the painful things that have happened in your past have come and gone, God still wants you to enjoy every single day of your life. This won't happen, however, until you make up your mind to take hold of the abundant life that Jesus' death and resurrection purchased for you. Until then, the devil will always try to take it away.

Jesus said, "The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)" (John 10:10 AMP). Jesus came to this earth and died for us to have abundant life!

With the life He gives, you are a new creation. You don't have to allow the old things that happened to you to continue to affect your new life in Christ. As a new creature in Christ Jesus, you can have your mind renewed according to the Word of God. Things will change for the better when you live in the new nature that Jesus purchased for you.

Prayer Starter: God, I choose to daily, actively put on the new nature that Jesus purchased for me. I am regenerated in Christ - a new, happy and whole creation in You!

Listen and Obey What God Is Speaking to You

Oh, that they had such a [mind and] heart in them always [reverently] to fear Me and keep all My commandments, that it might go well with them and with their children forever! Deuteronomy 5:29

You know, God doesn't just speak to ministers and pastors. He's speaking to everyone in every walk of life. A lot of people don't expect to hear from God at all, but in reality, He is speaking to all of us. He is speaking to you.

Of course, you can't hear Him and do what He says unless you're listening for Him. You need to be reading your Bible and preparing your heart to receive from Him, to hear His voice on a regular basis. That way you can follow His instructions and keep His commandments.

Read Deuteronomy 5:29. Can you hear the earnestness in God's voice as He makes that statement? He wants us to keep His commandments so that it 'might go well' with us. He cares about our well-being and knows that the only way He can take care of us is if we're willing to listen and be obedient.

Make it a lifestyle to be identified with Jesus Christ and faithfully be a doer of the Word. Hear His wisdom and follow it today.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I believe that You are speaking to me, and I will purposefully listen to and live out what You tell me to do so that it 'might go well' with me.

The Way to See Your God-given Dreams Come True

6. Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise!–
7. Which, having no chief, overseer, or ruler,
8. Provides her food in the summer and gathers her supplies in the harvest.
Proverbs 6:6-8

God gives His children big dreams to pursue in life. In order for those dreams to be fulfilled, we must spend time in training, cooperating with God in a process of personal development. This process includes time, determination and hard work.

These days, we're so used to convenience. We use automatic dishwashers to clean our dishes and laundry machines to dry and press our clothes. We just press a button and a machine goes to work. But nothing is automatic in God's kingdom. You can't fulfill His plans and purposes without developing the necessary skills.

In Proverbs, we read about the ant. Ants more than make up for their small size with simple determination, and we can learn a giant-size lesson from them. We must be just as self-motivated and self-disciplined.

As you develop that kind of self-motivation and discipline to live for Christ, you will become all God created you to be and also lead others to Him in the process. So keep pressing on, growing in determination, and watch your dreams come true!

Prayer Starter: Lord, I want to be all You created me to be and fulfill the dreams You've put in my heart. Help me to stay focused on You and put in the time, determination and hard work necessary to grow in Christ and live out the plans You have for me.

The Anchor of Hope

[Now] we have this [hope] as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul [it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whoever steps out upon it–a hope] that reaches farther andenters into [the very certainty of the Presence] within the veil, Hebrews 6:19

All of us go through difficult times in our lives, and like a ship in a storm, we need help to remain steady. A ship has an anchor to help it hold steady, and the Bible says that the anchor of our soul is hope.

When you and I base our hope firmly on God and His Word, we may feel the wind and waves, but in the end we will not be moved.

During a storm, hope gives us the ability to look at things as they are and still be confident that something better is coming. That makes hope a very powerful and important quality for you and me to have - especially in times of trouble. In fact, I believe it's the foundation that our faith must be built on.

No one - not even God - can promise that we will never have to deal with disappointment or trouble. But the important thing is that we never stop hoping. Maintaining a positive attitude and holding on to the hope we have in Christ puts us in a position to see God's miracle-working power.

Prayer Starter: God, I put my hope in You. My expectation for the great things You're going to do in my life is my anchor in trying times.

Take Action for Your Freedom

So if the Son liberates you [makes you free men], then you are really and unquestionably free. John 8:36

Since God didn't create us to live in bondage of any kind, we can experience liberty - freedom to enjoy all that God has given us in Christ. He has given us life, and our goal should be to enjoy it.

But in my life, I know that I can't just wish to be free. I have to take action. It is necessary for me to obey God's Word and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. It means that I can't just hear or read the Word to get results, but I also need to do what it says.

Are you enjoying freedom in your life? I pray that God will encourage you to seek after the freedom that is yours in Jesus.

Because He died on the cross to set us free from the power of sin, you and I can be free from every problem in life.

Freedom is yours, now step out and take it. Follow the Holy Spirit and be free to enjoy all that God has for you in Christ Jesus.

Prayer Starter: God, I find my freedom in You. I choose to take action for my freedom by following the leading of the Holy Spirit in my life.

Open Your Heart of Compassion

But if anyone has this world's goods (resources for sustaining life) and sees his brother and fellow believer in need, yet closes his heart of compassion against him, how can the love of God live and remain in him?
18 Little children, let us not love [merely] in theory or in speech but in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity). 1 John 3:17-18

As Christians, God places compassion within each one of us, but it's up to us to decide whether we close or open our heart to receive it. I've found that one thing that really keeps my heart of compassion open is to seriously think about the needs that are in the world today.

We need to turn our thoughts to those who are less fortunate than ourselves and open our hearts to those who are suffering.

Read 1 John 3:17-18. I really love these scriptures because they specifically make a point of saying that when I see a need, I can't just pass it off as someone else's responsibility. Nor can I think that the need is so great, I can't do anything about it, which is not true. I've found in our ministry that even though you and I can't do everything about a situation, we can do something. And the something that we can do is bring hope to people.

I pray that you will allow your heart of compassion to be opened even wider to the desperate needs of people around the world.

Prayer Starter: God, I don't want to live selfishly oblivious to the needs of others. I open my heart to receive Your compassion so that I can help others.

Stable Like a Tree Firmly Planted

And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity]. Psalm 1:3

Stability is an important issue for all of us. Jeremiah 17:8 and Psalm 1:3 both instruct us to be like trees firmly planted. We are to be well-balanced and temperate (self-controlled) to keep Satan from devouring us (see 1 Peter 5:8). To withstand him, we must be rooted, established, strong, immovable and determined in Christ.

Jesus is the best soil to be rooted in. You can depend on Him to be stable, the same Jesus all the time, always faithful, loyal, true to His Word and mature. He's not one way one time and another way the next time. He doesn't change with circumstances, so if you are rooted in Him, you won't either.

God wants to give us power to stay calm in adversity. He wants us to be stable like trees firmly planted, but we choose where we will be planted. Will you be rooted in the world? Your emotions? Your circumstances? Your past? Or will you choose today to plant yourself in Christ? I urge you to depend on Him. His stability can be yours today.

Prayer Starter: God, I want to plant my roots in You. You never change, so I know I can count on You to keep me stable in every circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom