Promises for Your Everyday Life

Day 47: Let the Storm Subside

"Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;" Psalms 46:2

I have faced so many storms in my life, some like the quick afternoon storms that are common in the summertime and some that seemed like category four hurricanes!

If I have learned anything about weathering those storms, it has been that they don't last forever, and I don't need to make major decisions in the midst of them.

Thoughts and feelings run wild in the midst of crises, but those are exactly the times we need to be careful about making decisions. I often say to myself, "Let emotions subside before you decide."

We must remain calm and discipline ourselves to focus on doing what we can do and trust God to do what we can't do. Instead of drowning in worry and fear, get in touch with God, who sees past the storm and orchestrates the big picture.

He makes sure everything that needs to happen in our lives happens at the right time, moves at the appropriate speed, and causes us to arrive safely at the destinations He has planned for us.

Prayer Starter

God, I know that I can't control everything, so I will do what I can and trust You to do what I can't do. The storms of life do not control me. I trust Your plans for me.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Day 48: Nothing Is Impossible

"For with God nothing shall be impossible." Luke 1:37

People who think positively can see potential in even the most discouraging situations, while those who think negatively are quick to point out problems and limitations.

This goes beyond the proverbial idea of simply seeing a glass "half full" or "half empty" and extends to actually making decisions and taking actions based on either positive or negative thinking.

Have you ever noticed how negative thinking blows things out of proportion? Problems start to seem larger and much more difficult than they really are. Sometimes, a problem may actually be impossible...in the natural. And a negative mindset forgets that nothing is impossible to God.

Meditating on God's Word will rid you of negativity and help you refocus on who God is.

A positive mindset based on God's Word knows that nothing is beyond God. He is always present. I've trained my brain to believe God and His Word, and I've experienced the power available to me through God when I've trusted Him more than my circumstances.

We need to always remember that nothing is impossible with God.

Prayer Starter
Lord, it's clear to me that I have nothing to gain from a 'glass-half-empty' mindset. Even in impossible situations, I know that You are there. I choose to see the positive side of things as I live in Your Word.

Day 49: Truth Will Set You Free

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Many people today don't even bother to think rationally about what they believe and end up building their entire lives on beliefs that are simply not true.

Whatever the news media, a celebrity or a group of friends say suddenly becomes 'truth' to them.

Believing what others say rather than exploring God's Word for yourself will actually limit you and even keep you from doing what God created you to do.

But, if you will contend for the truth, embrace it and build your life upon it, you will succeed in every endeavor. If you want to stay on track with God's Truth, you have to make communication with Him a priority in your daily schedule.

I can't urge you strongly enough to communicate with Him frequently through prayer, reading His Word, worship, and simply acknowledging His presence and guidance throughout the day.

When you know God, you know Truth. Living in His Truth will bring peace, freedom, and joy to your life.

Prayer Starter

God, I don't want to be limited by my thoughts and beliefs about what is true. You are the only source of Truth. As I spend time communicating with You, show me and guide me into Your Truth.

Day 49: Truth Will Set You Free

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Many people today don't even bother to think rationally about what they believe and end up building their entire lives on beliefs that are simply not true.

Whatever the news media, a celebrity or a group of friends say suddenly becomes 'truth' to them.

Believing what others say rather than exploring God's Word for yourself will actually limit you and even keep you from doing what God created you to do.

But, if you will contend for the truth, embrace it and build your life upon it, you will succeed in every endeavor. If you want to stay on track with God's Truth, you have to make communication with Him a priority in your daily schedule.

I can't urge you strongly enough to communicate with Him frequently through prayer, reading His Word, worship, and simply acknowledging His presence and guidance throughout the day.

When you know God, you know Truth. Living in His Truth will bring peace, freedom, and joy to your life.

Prayer Starter
God, I don't want to be limited by my thoughts and beliefs about what is true. You are the only source of Truth. As I spend time communicating with You, show me and guide me into Your Truth.

Day 50: Receiving the Holy Spirit

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8

In Acts 1:8 Jesus promises that the Holy Spirit will also come upon us, giving us power (ability, efficiency and might) to be Christ's witnesses to the ends of the earth.

Many Christians follow all the "right" rules, but wonder: "Is this all there is?" As a young Christian, I experienced that same emptiness. Doing the right things brought temporary happiness but not deep, satisfying joy. I cried out: "God, something is missing!'

To my surprise, I heard the audible voice of God and I knew He was about to move in my life. Only a few hours later Jesus filled me with the presence of the Holy Spirit in a way that I had never before experienced, and everything changed.

I felt His power in my life in a new way. When you spend time with God daily and receive His Holy Spirit, you're not signing up for a scary, weird experience.

You are simply receiving His power to be more like Jesus and His wisdom to walk through ordinary events. Don't be afraid of new things, just make sure they are biblical.

I believe that God desires to take you to new heights in Him through the power of daily interaction with His Holy Spirit. He is knocking at the door of your heart. Will you open it wide and welcome Him?

Prayer Starter

God, I want to live as a Christian who is filled with the power of Your Holy Spirit. Show me how to live in the deep, satisfying joy that comes from the Holy Spirit. I thank You for the power and the wisdom to walk through every day and every situation.

Day 51: The Evidence of the Holy Spirit

" After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly." Acts 4:31

There are too many unhappy born-again, Spirit-filled believers who don't know what it's like to remain full of the Spirit of God by acknowledging Him and pursuing His ways daily. The Holy Spirit is in them, but they don't let the evidence of it show up in their normal, day-to-day life.

It is possible to fill a glass with water without filling it to full capacity. Likewise, when we are born again we have the Holy Spirit in us, but we may not yet be totally filled and have the evidence of His power in our lives.

Acts 4:31 reports that when people were filled with the Holy Spirit, they spoke the Word of God "with freedom and boldness and courage."

It does not please God when people leave Him out of their daily lives and then follow religious formulas to try to appease Him. Instead, He wants us to live the Spirit-filled life of freedom, boldness and courage.

I urge you to let God work freely in every area of your life through the power of the Holy Spirit

Prayer Starter
God, I want to be filled with the Holy Spirit every day. Help me to live with the freedom, boldness and courage You give in my daily life.

Day 52: Take God Out of the "Emergency Only" Box!

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst? 1 Corinthians 3:16

I used to spend time with God once in awhile or when my life was in big trouble. Eventually I learned that if I ever wanted to stop living from one emergency to the next, I needed to seek God every day as if I were in desperate need of Him.

It's true that God will always help us when we come to Him. But if we want constant victory, we need to take God out of our "emergency only" box and invite Him into our everyday lives.

God wants us to get personal with Him. He proves this by the fact that He lives within us.

When Jesus died on the cross, He opened the way for us to get personal with almighty God. If God had wanted an "emergency only" relationship, He might just visit on occasion, but He certainly would not have come to take up permanent residence within us.

What an awesome thought! God is your personal friend! Will you remove Him from the "emergency only" box today?

Prayer Starter
Lord, I know that the Christian life is so much more than an "emergency only" back-up plan. Because You live within me, I want to know You as a personal friend. Rather than just calling on You when I'm in trouble, I want to seek You every single day.

Day 53: Removing Distractions

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

One of Satan's more cunning weapons is distraction. He knows if we become sidetracked by the cares of the world that, more than likely, we will begin to neglect our time with God.

To keep us faithful and in close fellowship and communion with Him, sometimes God wants us to remove distractions that are separating us from Him, even if it hurts.

For example, if our career or desire for money or social status are more important to us than pleasing God, we need to get our priorities straight.

Or maybe a relationship is keeping you from spending time with God and you're looking for that person's attention and approval more than God's.

The bottom line is, any situation or desire in our life that keeps us from being led by the Holy Spirit or living for God is an unhealthy distraction that's not good for us.

God wants us to be moved by His Spirit, not by distractions. So today, set aside all of the distractions of life and purposely focus on God. When you seek God first with your whole heart, you will find Him. He's always there waiting for you.

Prayer Starter
Lord, I ask You to help me remove all of the distractions in my life, even if it hurts. Help me to seek You above all else and be led by the Holy Spirit in my daily life. I want to live for You!

Day 54: When Life Doesn't Go According to Plan

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8:28 that all things work together for good. Notice Paul doesn't say that all things are good, but that all things work together for good.

Paul also tells us in Romans 12:16 to "readily adjust yourself to [people, things]." The idea is that we must learn to become the kind of person who plans things but who doesn't fall apart if that plan doesn't work out.

Let's say you get in your car and it won't start. There are two ways you can look at the situation.
You can think, "I knew it! My plans always flop."

Or you can tell yourself, "Well, I can't leave home right now, but that's ok. I believe this change in plans is going to work out for my good. God is in control."

Allow God to be the glory and lifter of your head (see Psalm 3:3). He wants to lift everything: your hopes, attitudes, moods, head, hands, heart, your entire life. Remember, even when life doesn't go according to plan, He is good.

Prayer Starter

Lord, because I know that you are in control and work all things for good, I can be flexible when life doesn't follow my plan. When my plans don't work out, help me to find the good and stay positive.

Day 55: Making a Decision to Forgive

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:25

When someone hurts us, we often react as though that individual has stolen from us.

We feel that they owe us, yet God wants us to let it go. If we refuse to forgive, what hope do we have of receiving what we need?

To receive from God what He has promised in His Word, we must obey Him, regardless of how difficult it may be.

We must forgive. The greatest deception that Satan has perpetuated in the area of forgiveness is the idea that if our feelings have not changed, we have not truly forgiven.

When you decide to forgive someone, don't let the devil convince you that because you still have the same feelings, you have not really forgiven the person.

You can make the right decision to forgive and not "feel" any differently. That's when faith steps in.

You have done your part, now wait on God. He will do His part and heal your emotions, make you whole, and change your feelings toward the person who hurt you.

Prayer Starter

Lord, I choose to forgive those who have hurt me. I release them from their debt, in Jesus' name. Heal my heart and make me whole.

Day 56: Setting Your Enemies Free

Bless those who persecute you [who are cruel in their attitude toward you]; bless and do not curse them Romans 12:14

When dealing with past hurts, we all know that it's right to forgive, even when it's difficult.

However, few of us rarely take the next step that God wants us to take.

A common misconception is that all we have to do is make the decision to forgive and our job is finished, but Jesus also said, "Invoke blessings upon and pray for the happiness of those who curse you, implore God's blessing (favor) upon those who abuse you [who revile, reproach, disparage, and high-handedly misuse you]" (Luke 6:28 AMP).

In addition, Romans 12:14 says that we are to bless the people who persecute us and treat us cruelly. We are to actively bless our enemies.

God calls us to extend mercy to people who do not deserve it. Why? When you forgive, it opens a door for God to heal you, but honestly, it doesn't do much for the person who offended you. But when you bless them, you ask God to bring truth to them so they can repent and experience the real freedom He provides.

Forgiveness sets you free...blessing your enemies sets them free.

Prayer Starter

God, I thank You for helping me walk in forgiveness, but I don't want to stop there. I ask You to bless those who have hurt me. In the same way that You have brought healing to my life, bring healing to them so they can experience Your goodness and walk in Your love.

Day 57: Passing Life's Tests

Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the righteous [those in right standing with You]; For the righteous God tries the hearts and minds.. Psalm 7:9

Life is filled with challenges that test our determination and our faith in God. Whether we're faced with the impending threat of evil or with everyday hassles, the quality of our character is sure to be tested on a regular basis.

It would be a great mistake to overlook the fact that God tests our hearts, our emotions and our minds. What does it mean to test something? It means to put pressure on it to see if it will do what it says it will do.

Will it hold up under stress? Can it perform at the level its maker says it can? Is it genuine when measured against a true standard of quality?

God does the same with us. Are you being tested today? The key is to keep trusting God, even if you don't understand. There is no such thing as trusting God without unanswered questions, but when you push ahead, despite your doubts, He will build you up and make you strong.

Prayer Starter

Lord, when tested, I want to be ready, holding up under pressure, following You no matter what. Show me daily how to put my trust in You, even when I struggle with unanswered questions.

Day 58: Let God Be Your Tour Guide

For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death. Psalm 49:14

When He walked on this earth, Jesus always knew the right thing to do because He did only what He saw His Father do.

As our Lord, we can trust Him to lead us down the right path every day. Psalm 48:14 says that God will be our guide even unto death!

How wonderful to know that we have a guide to get us from one destination in life to the next. When my husband, Dave, and I visit a new place, we often hire a guide.

Once we decided to explore by ourselves, but we quickly discovered that this was a complete waste of time. We spent most of the day lost, desperately trying to find our way back.

Sometimes I think we treat life the same way Dave and I treated that trip. It's always easier to follow an experienced guide than to wander aimlessly on your own.

Instead of going your own way, do what you see your Father do, and let Him guide you. God is committed to guiding us, so it's clearly important that we follow.

Prayer Starter

God, I don't want to live life like a tourist without a guide, aimlessly going my own way. Only You can show me what to do and how to live, so I choose to follow Your guidance every day.

Day 59: Don't Get Burned Out on Too Much Activity

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

In the early days of my walk with the Lord, I was very enthusiastic and eager to serve Him, so I signed up for everything that seemed even remotely interesting to me.

One result of it all was that I quickly discovered what I was anointed to do. Because of my busy life, I wasn't spending time with God on a regular basis.

I was doing good things for God, but somehow ignoring Him in the process. As a result, I often spent time feeling frustrated because I was doing works of the flesh.

"Works of the flesh" are things we do without God's power flowing through us. They are difficult, they drain us, and they produce no joy or fulfillment.

They are often good things, but not 'God things.' People can literally get burned out on religious activity as they struggle to serve God in their own strength.

But Jesus didn't die for us to have ceaseless activity...He died so that we could be one with God through Him, so we could have a deep personal relationship with God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Do you need to cut out some works of the flesh today to truly be with God?

Prayer Starter
Lord, I realize that doing good works is no replacement for truly knowing You. Help me to find my rest in You as I lay useless activity aside to spend more time with You.

Day 60: Give Relationship...Not Religion

Jesus replied, “With all the earnestness I possess I tell you this: Unless you are born again, you can never get into the Kingdom of God.” John 3:3

When you tell someone about your faith, do you give them religion...or relationship?

The Bible says we must be born again (see John 3:1-8), it doesn't say we must be religious. Unfortunately, we as Christians often present the Gospel to people like it's a list of religious rules, not true relationship with God.

But following "Christian" rules and going to church won't make you a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage will make you a car. Religious rules and regulations can be harsh, hard and pressing, but that's not what Jesus wants for people.

Jesus wants people to live in relationship with Him. If someone asks us, "What religion are you?" we should talk about our personal relationship with Jesus instead of what church we attend.

I like to answer that question by saying, "Thank you for asking. I don't have any religion, but I do have Jesus." We need to start asking people, "Do you know Jesus?

Is He your friend? Do you have a personal relationship with Him?"

Next time someone asks about your faith, give them relationship...not religion.

Prayer Starter
God, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that someone needs to follow a list of rules to really be a Christian, but that's not the kind of faith You want from people. Empower me to share Your Gospel with others in a way that leads them not into a religious system, but into a one-on-one, life-changing relationship with You.

Day 61 Are You a Consecrated Vessel?

Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. 2 Timothy 2:21

The Bible refers to us as earthen, or frail, human vessels (2 Cor. 4:7). Like stoneware formed on the potter's wheel, we are made of clay (Is. 64:8).

God formed Adam out of "the dust of the ground," according to Genesis 2:7, and Psalm 103:14 says, "He knows our frame, He [earnestly] remembers and imprints [on His heart] that we are dust".

Though we are weak and imperfect, when we fill our vessels (ourselves) with the Word of God, we become containers of His blessing, ready to be poured out for His use.

All of us are valuable to the Lord, God can use even cracked pots! But first we must be wholly consecrated to God.

Second Timothy 2:21 reminds us, "Whoever cleanses himself [from what is ignoble and unclean, who separates himself from contact with contaminating and corrupting influences] will [then himself] be a vessel set apart and useful for honorable and noble purposes, consecrated and profitable to the Master, fit and ready for any good work."

Today, when you become a set apart vessel, God will do incredible things through your life.

Prayer Starter

Lord, I am Yours. I want to be a vessel fit for Your use. I dedicate myself to You. I want to be filled with Your Word, fit and ready for every good work You have for me.

Day 62: Controlling Your Tongue

Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies. Psalms 34:13

A significant key to glorifying God is controlling our tongue.

Psalm 50:23 says, "He who brings an offering of praise and thanksgiving honors and glorifies Me...."

What would happen if you gave your mouth to God each day so that only godly words came from your lips?

And I'm not just talking about praising and thanking God in your quiet time, or speaking positive, encouraging words over yourself.

The health of your relationships depends on how you speak to, over and about others. Psalm 34:13 says, "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit."

Do you lie to others? Do you insult them or speak ill of them? Or do you speak encouraging, life-giving words that bring joy to everyone you meet?

Dedicate your mouth to God and use it only for what pleases Him, praise and worship, edification and exhortation, and giving thanks.

Place your lips on the altar each morning. Give your mouth to God through praying His Word: "O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Your praise" (Psalm 51:15). Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will praise and thank You. Help me use my words to bring joy and life to those around me and to praise and glorify You.

Prayer Starter

Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will praise and thank You. Help me use my words to bring joy and life to those around me and to praise and glorify You.

Day 63: Giving Your All to God

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10

Many people want to receive from God, but they are not willing to give all of themselves to Him.

But you can be different. Will you make a fresh commitment to be a giver and invest yourself, your time, and your money in the Lord's work?

Don't let the devil talk you out of giving just because you have bills to pay and obligations that cause you to worry.

Jesus urges us not to be worried or anxious about anything, for God knows our needs and promises to care for us (see Matthew 6:25-34).

Proverbs 3:9-10 says, "Honor the Lord with your capital and sufficiency [from righteous labors] and with the firstfruits of all your income; so shall your storage places be filled with plenty, and your vats shall be overflowing with new wine."

When you give God your all, He will be faithful to take care of you. Give yourself to God. Give Him everything you are, everything you hope to be, all your dreams, visions, hopes and desires.

Make everything His, and He will demonstrate His power through your life. Prayer Starter:

Prayer Starter

God, today I give You my all: my hands, my mouth, my mind, my body, my money and my time. Everything I have is Yours. I want to do Your will today.

Day 64: God Is the Only Lasting Source

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

As human beings we are created by God to be happy and to feel good about ourselves.

As a matter of fact, we must feel good about ourselves, or eventually we will develop some sort of unhealthy, uncontrolled behavior to get the good feelings we crave.

Think about it. A person who is addicted to drugs probably began using them because his pain was so intense he felt compelled to get rid of it, even if only temporarily.

The same thing is true of drinking, or using food as a comfort. If we do not get good feelings from the inside, then we attempt to create them through outside means.

God created us that way and He's the only one who can satisfy us.

When we go to something other than God to make us feel good about ourselves, we're really just replacing something real with a cheap substitute.

Whatever your emotional needs are today, know that only God can meet them. He is the only lasting source of life. Go to Him today, He's the only One who can satisfy.

Prayer Start
er

God, I don't want to waste my time chasing cheap substitutes. You are the only One who can satisfy. Show me how to daily find my true delight and satisfaction in You and only You.

65. A Healthy Mind Contributes to a Healthy Life​

There is a proven connection between the mind and the body, and it gives us an easy and inexpensive way to help maintain good health. You can choose to think positive, peaceful, biblical thoughts in order to develop a healthier spirit, soul, and body.

Nobody wants to be a victim, and we certainly don’t want to be victimized by our own thoughts. Learning to think purposely and aggressively, instead of passively providing an empty space for whatever thoughts come to mind or the devil offers, is the way to become the victor instead of the victim.

In your quiet time with God, ask Him to help you think faith-filled thoughts, and get started today on your way to a healthier mind and body.

Prayer of the Day: Thank You, Father, for helping me think positive thoughts, faith-filled thoughts that will help me in every facet of my life. I am grateful that I do not have to be a prisoner of negative thinking and that I can choose to be happy, filled with joy, and feel better as a result!

Back
Top Bottom