Promises for Your Everyday Life

Day 66. Desiring God More Than His Blessings

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

How many of us can actually say, 'I am not jealous of anyone else or envious of what others have. If God gave it to them, then I want them to enjoy it"?

The Word says, "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have" (Hebrews 13:5 NKJV). I believe God tests us to see if we will live by this verse.

There are times when He will put somebody in front of us who has exactly what we want, just to see how we will respond. Until we can pass His "I am happy for you because you are blessed" test, we are never going to have any more than what we have right now.

If you have asked God for something and He hasn't given it to you yet, rest assured that He is not holding out on you. He simply wants to make sure that you rid yourself of jealousy and make Him your top priority.

God wants us to prosper in every way. He wants people to see His goodness and how well He takes care of us. But we must desire God more than we desire His blessings.

Prayer Starter: God, I want You to show me the areas of my life where I've given in to jealousy and covetousness, and help me rearrange my priorities. I want to desire You more than Your blessings.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Day 67. Learning to Be Content in Every Situation

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. Philippians 4:11

The Bible teaches us to be content no matter what our circumstances may be. The apostle Paul wrote, "Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am."

Contentment is a decision to be happy with what you already have. Unfortunately, we usually learn to be content by living discontented lives for a long time and then finally saying, "Lord, I don't want to live this way any longer.' But it doesn't have to be that way.

You can choose to be content every day. This is worth more than all the material possessions you could possibly accumulate in a lifetime.

Paul made this clear when he wrote in 1 Timothy 6:6, "Godliness accompanied with contentment (that contentment which is a sense of inward sufficiency) is great and abundant gain."

What is sure to make us happy? Choosing contentment in the Lord, every day. Saying to God, "Lord, I only want what You want me to have," is the only way to have real peace and lasting happiness.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I only want what You want for me. Like the apostle Paul, I choose to be content in every circumstance.

Day 68 What Is God's Love Like?

He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—Ephesians 1:5

Why does God love us as imperfect as we are? Because He wants to, it pleases Him. It's in His very nature to love us, no matter how sinful our actions may be.

God conquers evil with good (see Romans 12:21). He does that by pouring out His limitless grace upon us so that when we sin, His grace becomes greater than our sin. And just as it is impossible for God not to love, so it is impossible for us to do anything to keep Him from loving us.

God loves because that is His nature. He is love (see 1 John 4:8). He may not always love everything we do, but He does love us. God's love is the power that forgives our sins, heals our emotional wounds and mends our broken hearts (see Psalm 147:3). God's love is unconditional; it is based on Him, not us! Once you realize that God loves you regardless of what you have or haven't done, you can experience incredible breakthrough. You can quit trying to earn His love and simply receive it and enjoy it.

Prayer Starter: God, Your love is incredible. Focusing on Your love reminds me that it's based on Your goodness, not my actions. Help me to receive Your love for me.

Day 69 True Love Must Give
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 1 John 4:10–11

Everyone desires to be loved and accepted. But many of us try to find happiness the wrong way. We attempt to find it in getting, but it is found in giving. The love of God is the most wonderful gift we are given. Once it flows to us, it needs to flow from us to others; otherwise, it becomes stagnant.

Love must give because that's its nature. First John 4:11 highlights how we must give the love we receive: "Beloved, if God loved us so [very much], we also ought to love one another."

Living in God's true love is a process. First, God loves us, and by faith, we receive His love. We then love ourselves in a balanced way, give love back to God, and learn to love other people.

Love must follow this course or it is not complete. Once we have God's love in us, we can give it away. We can choose to love others lavishly. We can love them as deeply and unconditionally as God has loved us.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I don't want Your love to become stagnant in me. Help me to not only receive Your love, but to complete the process by choosing to love others lavishly.

Day 70 Conquering the Wilderness Mentality
The Lord our God said to us at Horeb, “You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Deuteronomy 1:6

The Israelites wandered around in the wilderness for forty years to make what was actually an eleven-day journey. Why?

Once, as I pondered this situation, the Lord said to me, "The Israelites couldn't move on because they had a wilderness mentality." The Israelites had no positive vision for their lives, no dreams. They needed to let go of that mentality and trust God.

We really shouldn't view the Israelites with astonishment because most of us do the same things they did. We keep going around the same mountains instead of making progress, and it takes us years to experience victory over something that could have been dealt with quickly.

We need a new mindset. We need to start believing that God's Word is true. Matthew 19:26 tells us that with God all things are possible. All He needs is our faith in Him. He needs for us to believe, and He will do the rest.

The Lord is saying the same thing to you and me today that He said to the children of Israel: "You have dwelt long enough on this mountain." It's time for us to move on!

Prayer Starter: God, I've spent enough time going around the same old mountains in my life. With You, I know I can move on, so I put my faith in You and let go of my wilderness

Day 71.God Can Set You Free from the Prison of Your Past

The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon Me, because He has anointed Me [the Anointed One, the Messiah] to preach the good news (the Gospel) to the poor; He has sent Me to announce release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to send forth as delivered those who are oppressed [who are downtrodden, bruised, crushed, and broken down by calamity],
19 To proclaim the accepted and acceptable year of the Lord [the day when salvation and the free favors of God profusely abound]. Luke 4:18-19

I come from a background of abuse and was raised in a dysfunctional home. My childhood was filled with fear and torment.

As a young adult trying to live for Christ and follow the Christian lifestyle, I believed that my future would always be marred by my past. I thought, "How can anyone who has the kind of past I do ever be really all right? It's impossible!"

But Jesus said, "The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon Me...He has sent Me to announce release to the captives...." Jesus came to open the prison doors and set the captives free.

I couldn't make any progress until I realized that God wanted to release me from the prison of my past. I had to believe that neither my past nor my present determined my future, unless I let it. I had to let God miraculously set me free.

You may have had a miserable past that continues to affect your present in negative and depressing ways. But I say to you boldly, your future is not determined by your past or your present! Let God break off the chains of your past.

Prayer Starter: God, I believe that You are more powerful than my past. I receive the freedom You give me. My past will not determine my future.

Last edited:
Day 72. Who Is Your Real Enemy?

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12

Are you facing challenging circumstances? Are you in need of provision in some area and not sure where it's going to come from? Many Christians today are dealing with serious hardships. Some have lost their jobs and benefits. Others struggle with critical health problems and live with constant concern about how to cover the cost of medicine and doctor visits in addition to simple necessities such as shelter, food and clothing.

There are many things in the world that threaten us. But our biggest enemy, fear, is not "out there."

Ephesians 6:12 reminds us that we are at war not with flesh and blood, but with the enemy of our souls. We must not be confused about the identity of the enemy in our battles.

Thankfully, our unseen God is more than capable of dealing with our unseen enemy. When we come to a deep understanding of God's unconditional love for us, we realize He will always take care of everything that concerns us.

You don't have to be afraid of your unseen enemy. Trust in God, the only One who can defeat the spiritual forces of darkness.

Prayer Starter: Lord, don't let me forget who my real enemy is, and don't let me forget that You are all-powerful. I know I can't handle everything the enemy throws my way, but You can.

Day73. Don't Worry...Worship!

Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing. Psalms 34:9

I remember a morning when I sat down to pray and instead began to worry about whatever my current situation was and to consider what I was going to do about it.

Suddenly I heard that still, small voice inside my spirit say, "Joyce, are you going to worship your problem or Me?" See, God was more than willing to handle my problem if I was willing to forget it and spend time worshipping Him.

When we worship the Lord, we release the emotional or mental burden that weighs us down. It is swallowed up in the awesomeness of God. When we keep our eyes on Him and worship, we will always see His plan for our lives work out all things for our good.

The Bible says there is no lack for those who truly worship the Lord with godly fear. Do you want to be sure all your needs will be met? Then remember to worship, not worry.

Regardless of the difficulties you face, just keep praising God and giving Him glory. Faith will rise in your heart, and you will overcome.

Prayer Starter: God, I will not worry. Instead, I choose to worship You. You are great and mighty, and I know that my needs are met because of Your goodness and love for me.

Last edited:
Day 74. The Hidden Power of Confession

Is not my word like fire,” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

What do you usually think of when you hear the word "confession"? Many people think first of the definition that has a negative connotation, being forced to admit you have done something wrong. But when we agree with God's Word by "confessing" it out loud, the result is always positive.

An acquaintance of mine says we cannot defeat Goliath with our mouths shut. When David was preparing to do battle with the giant Goliath, he ran toward him, confessing out loud what he believed the end result of the battle would be: "This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand... "(1 Sam. 17:46 AMP).

This is a good example of how we should approach the enemies in our own lives. We must open our mouths and speak the Word of God.

I strongly encourage you to confess the Word of God out loud daily. Each time a thought comes to your mind that does not agree with God's Word, confess the truth of His Word out loud, and you will find that the power of the Word will overcome the lie.

Prayer Starter: God, I know that Your Word is powerful...nothing can stand against it. Every time I find myself in a difficult situation, remind me to confess Your Word out loud.

Day 75. The Flesh Is Weak,' But You Don't Have to Be
“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

The night before Jesus was crucified, He gathered the disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane and made just one request: "All of you must keep awake (give strict attention, be cautious and active) and watch and pray, that you may not come into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Matthew 26:41).

All the disciples had to do was stay awake and pray, but they kept falling asleep. Jesus, on the other hand, did pray, and an angel strengthened Him in spirit, enabling Him to endure the cross. The disciples didn't pray, they slept, and proved that the flesh truly is weak.

To me, this story proves the critical importance of prayer. As Christians, we must realize that without daily prayer and interaction with God, we have nothing.

We all struggle with living according to our 'weak flesh,' but when we make prayer a priority, God strengthens us in the spirit, allowing us to overcome the limitations of the flesh.

What are you relying on for strength today? Your flesh? Or are you experiencing the power that God so graciously gives us when we come to Him?

Prayer Starter: God, I thank You for the strength You give me when I pray. I know that without You, I am weak, so I choose to continually come to You in prayer, knowing that Your strength is more than enough for me.

Day 76. Facing the Cost of Self-Discipline

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

As Christians, many of us have the idea that everything in our lives should be perfect simply because we are Christians. But Jesus clearly warned us, "In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration!" (John 16:33 AMP).

Jesus said we would have to deal with worldly troubles. These things are a part of life that we must all face when we lay down our selfish desires to follow Him.

The apostle Paul wrote, "But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it!"(1 Corinthians 9:27).

Paul is speaking here about self-discipline. Being self-disciplined means laying down our sinful desires and doing the right thing by God's grace, no matter what the cost.

It's not always easy. Dying to self will bring necessary suffering, but remember, even in the face of our suffering, there is hope, for Christ has overcome the world! And like Paul said, we can "rejoice and exult in hope; be steadfast and patient in suffering and tribulation; be constant in prayer."

Prayer Starter: God, I decide in advance to please You, whether my flesh is willing or not. Even if I need to suffer to do Your will, I know that there is hope, for Your Spirit is in me, and You have overcome the world.

Day 77. False Evidence Appearing Real

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

There is a debilitating fear that Satan tries to put on us every day. I call fear False Evidence Appearing Real. It is intended to keep us from having the power, love and sound mind God wants us to have.

Sometimes we think of fear as an emotion, but it is actually a spirit. In fact, fear is one of Satan's favorite tools, and he particularly loves to harass Christians with it.

But Jesus said, "All things can be (are possible) to him who believes!" (Mark 9:23 AMP). And an on-fire, Bible-believing Christian who is fearless is the enemy's worst fear!

It has been said that fear is the opposite of faith, and that is true. We can't live in faith and fear at the same time. Fear paralyzes us and keeps us from receiving God's promises. It keeps us from stepping out and obeying what God has called us to do.

Fear must be confronted head-on with the power of faith. We must proclaim the Word of God and command fear to leave.
So the next time fear knocks on your door, send faith to answer!

Prayer Starter: Lord, alert me when I'm confronted by False Evidence Appearing Real. I know that with Your help, I can respond with the power of faith and send fear running every time.

Day 77. Conviction Is Necessary
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.
Hebrews 12:6

I never want to be out of fellowship with the Lord. I must have Him to get through every single day of my life.

That's why I'm so grateful for the conviction of the Holy Spirit. He lets me know if I'm doing something that grieves God or interferes with our fellowship. He convicts and convinces me of what is right.

God loves us even more than we love our own children, and in His love, He disciplines us. He tells us again and again when we're on the wrong path. He may tell us fifteen different ways, trying to get our attention.

His message of convicting love is everywhere. He wants us to listen to Him because He loves us. But if we persist in our ways, He'll withhold privileges and blessing from us because He wants us to grow up.

Remember, if you yield to conviction, it will lift you up and out of sin and lead you back to the heart of God. Let conviction lift you to a new level in God. Don't resist it; receive it!

Prayer Starter: Lord, convict me of sin. I realize that conviction is a blessing and vitally necessary to walk with You properly. Get me where I need to be so that I can fellowship with

Day 78. Receive Forgiveness, Not Condemnation

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Every single day of our lives we need forgiveness. The Holy Spirit sets off the alarm in our spirits to recognize sin, and He gives us the power of the blood of Jesus to continuously cleanse us from sin and keep us in right standing with Him.

But if we are overcome with condemnation, we can be certain it is not from God. He sent Jesus to die for us, to pay the price for our sins. Jesus bore our sin and condemnation on the cross (see Isaiah 53).

When God breaks the yoke of sin from us, He removes the guilt too. He is faithful and just to forgive all our sins and to continually cleanse us from all unrighteousness (see 1 John 1:9).

The devil knows that condemnation and shame keep us from approaching God in prayer so we can receive forgiveness and enjoy intimate fellowship with Him.

Feeling bad about ourselves or believing that God is angry with us only separates us from His presence. He will never leave you, so don't withdraw from Him because of condemnation. Receive His forgiveness and walk with Him.

Prayer Starter: God, thank You for showing me that condemnation is not from You. Today, I receive Your forgiveness. You have cleansed me of sin so that I can live in right standing with You.

Last edited:
Day 79. You Have Potential

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27

It's amazing how many gifted people there are who just sit on the sidelines of life and do nothing. They never take a step forward to use the gifts God has given them because they don't believe they're gifted in the first place. Are you one of them?

The truth is, God has given each one of us gifts, talents and abilities. He has a great plan for you and has equipped you to do great things for His Kingdom. But until you see yourself the way He sees you and trust Him to enable you to use your gifts, you won't live up to your God-given potential.

If you're struggling with low self-esteem, a poor self-image and lacking confidence, I want you to know that God created you with amazing potential. And when you trust God and believe you can do whatever He says you can do, you will fulfill His destiny for your life.

Remember, "all things are possible with God." When you put your confidence in Him, you will be free to live up to your potential.

Prayer Starter: God, help me to see myself through Your eyes, with the gifts and talents You've given me. I believe that You made me with great potential because You are a great God. Today, I put my confidence in You and believe that all things are possible with You!

Develop Your Potential and Do Something Now

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, Colossians 3:23

You may know that God's created you with great potential, but you can't stop there. You have to develop your potential.

I believe that many people are unhappy because they aren't doing anything to develop their potential. If you want to see your potential developed to its fullest, don't wait until everything is perfect. Do something now. Start laying your hand to whatever is in front of you.

You must give your potential some form by doing something with it. You will never find what you are capable of doing if you never try anything.

Don't be so afraid of failing that you never take a chance. Don't stay in the safety zone. You may feel safe, but you will never succeed at developing your full potential or being fulfilled in what you are doing. Step out into what you feel God is leading you to do, and you will soon discover what you can and cannot do.

You are full of God-given potential, and He wants to do more through your life than you could ever imagine, but it requires your cooperation. Step out and serve Him wholeheartedly today.

Prayer Starter: Lord, in everything I do, I want to serve You wholeheartedly. Thank You for encouraging me to step out and take action, developing the great potential You have given me.

The Trademark of a True Christian

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] andgive yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits. Romans 12:16

One of the most important facets of love is unselfishness, which is characterized in Romans 12:16 as the willingness to adapt and adjust to the needs and desires of others.

People who have grasped the meaning of this Scripture and applied it in their lives have learned what it means to be reduced to love. They are not selfish. They have learned to be adaptable and to adjust to others.

On the other hand, people who think more highly of themselves than they should find it difficult to adjust to others. Their inflated opinion of themselves causes them to see others as "little" and "unimportant." They selfishly expect others to adjust to them, but they are often unable to accommodate others without becoming angry or upset.

Which type of person are you? I used to be so selfish, but now, I can tell you from experience that living unselfishly is a much more satisfying way to live.

The trademark of a true Christian is the ability to adapt to others. Will you unselfishly adapt to someone else today?

Prayer Starter:
God, show me daily how to lovingly adapt to others. I don't want to be a selfish person, so I choose to be unselfish and adaptable, loving others as a true Christian.

Love Everyone Differently

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
139:14

The Bible says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. God spent time and exercised His creativity with each of us, so it would stand to reason that He didn't create us all exactly the same, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, we Christians sometimes try to love others as if they are all the same.

You'll find that not all people need the same thing from you. One of your children, for example, may need more of your personal time than another does. One friend may need more encouragement on a regular basis than another. Some people just need different forms of love.

Respecting individual rights is also very important. Selfish people expect everyone to be like they are, but love respects the differences in people. If God had wanted all of us to be alike, He would not have given each of us a different set of fingerprints. I believe that fact alone proves we are created equal but different.

We all have different gifts and talents, different likes and dislikes, different goals in life and different motivations. A loving person respects and encourages the differences in others.

Prayer Starter: God, help me to appreciate the differences in others and then love them accordingly. We are all fearfully and wonderfully made. Thank You for the amazing creation of each individual You have placed in my life.

Peaceful on Purpose

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

When Jesus left this earth, He said that He was leaving His peace with us. Now the decision we have to make is, are we going to choose to live in the peace He has given us?

Of course, the devil works overtime to try to get you upset. Why? Because he knows that if you don't remain peaceful, you can't hear from God.

If you watch your life, you'll be amazed at how many times a week Satan launches an attack against you for the sole purpose of stealing your peace. When I finally saw that, God said to me in my spirit, "Joyce, if the devil wants your peace that badly, then there must be something pretty powerful about being peaceful."

It's true! So now when the devil tries to steal my peace, I enjoy holding on to it, knowing that I'm getting the better of him. That doesn't mean I don't feel upset, but I can do something positive about it, I can control myself and be peaceful on purpose.

Being peaceful on purpose is something we have to do for ourselves. Will you choose God's peace?

Prayer Starter: Lord, thank You for providing me with Your peace. When the devil tries to steal my peace, reveal his plans to me. I won't let him take my peace. Instead, I'll remain rooted in You.

Make God Your Source of Approval

The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Psalms 46:11

An epidemic of insecurity is stealing the joy of life from many people in our society today and causing major problems in their relationships. I know the effect insecurity can have on lives because I experienced it myself. I know what it does to a person.

Those who are insecure, often seek the approval of others to try to overcome their feelings of rejection and low self-esteem. They are approval addicts.

When we struggle with insecurity, only one thing will set us free, and that is God's truth. The truth is that we don't need to struggle to get from man what God freely gives us: love, acceptance, approval, security, worth and value.

He is our Refuge, our High Tower, our Strength, our Stronghold in times of trouble and our Hiding Place (see Psalm 9:9; 31:4; 32:7; 37:39; 46:11). Our worth, value, acceptance and approval come from Him. As long as we have those, we have the most valuable things in the world.

As you look to Him, you will be lifted to new levels of freedom, becoming the confident, mature person you were created to be.

Prayer Starter: Lord, I look to You for security. I focus on the truth - You are my refuge and strength. You give me love and acceptance. In You alone I am completely confident.

Back
Top Bottom