Promises for Your Everyday Life

Day 11: When It's OK To Say "No"

Numbers 11:12 AMP 12 Have I conceived all this people? Have I brought them forth, that You should say to me, Carry them in your bosom, as a nursing father carries the sucking child, to the land which You swore to their fathers [to give them]?
In Numbers 11, Moses gives us an example of what we can do when we're under stress. Talk about pressure, he was leading the Israelites through the wilderness on what should have been an eleven-day trip and instead ended up taking forty years!

The people were depressed and weeping over their situation. In verse 14, Moses tells God, "I am not able to carry all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me."

Like Moses, it's okay for us to say, "I've reached my limit." Yes, scripture says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13 NKJV), but that's really referring to times when we face various trials and situations that God will help us through.

It doesn't mean we should take on so many responsibilities that we completely burn out, like the woman who is raising five kids, works full-time, serves on the church board, etc.

Sometimes, it's all just too much...and it's okay to admit that. It's also okay to say "no" to some things so you can really enjoy life the way God intended.

Here's a newsflash: You and I don't have to be like everyone else or keep up with anyone else. God created some people to handle large amounts of work, but many people aren't made this way.

Each of us needs to be who God created us to be, and we don't have to apologize for it. We each need to individually find the balance of responsibility God has established for us to live in so we can enjoy our life, instead of making ourselves sick with an overload of stress and pressure.

When you reach your limit, go to God, just like Moses did. He will help you find a saner, healthier lifestyle.

Prayer Starter:
God, sometimes it's hard for me to slow down and say no to more responsibility. Help me to live with the balance of responsibility You created for me, so I can live with Your peace and enjoy life.

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional

Day 12: Free to Be Relentless

Philippians 3:10 AMP 10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
Relentlessly pursuing God is not necessarily easy, but it's definitely worth it. However, you can't really pursue God until you've first experienced real freedom.

God is in the business of setting us free, and it's glorious to be free from guilt, condemnation, and always wondering what people are thinking of us.

We're set free from the concern of failing when we know who we are in Christ. This brings us the courage to be able to step out and pursue God's promises.

One of the greatest freedoms God has given me is the freedom to be me. For years I tried to be something I wasn't, feeling like I needed to be like this or like that, all the while knowing I wasn't like everyone else. Yet, I kept trying to be like others until I learned through my relationship with God who He created me to be. This also set me free from me, so I can focus on Jesus and reaching out to others the way He wants me to.

Philippians 3 says Paul was determined, or relentless, to have the things that Christ Jesus died for, to know Him and the power of His resurrection. I believe when we are born again, there is a spirit of determination that rises within us. We can call it Holy Spirit passion or zeal, and it's what gives us the 'oomph' we need during hard times to say, 'I will not give up on having an intimate, passionate, deep, personal relationship with God. I will not give up on being all that Christ wants me to be.'

Be relentless to stay in faith and receive God's promises. Remember, you belong to Him and He's given you a relentless spirit!

Prayer Starter:

God, I want to live a new life, relentlessly pursuing You and Your promises. I trust You to help me become all You created me to be and experience true freedom.

Day 13: The Importance of Finishing

John 17:4 AMP 4 I have glorified You down here on the earth by completing the work that You gave Me to do.
Several years ago I read a verse that caused me to weep before the Lord. In John 17:4, Jesus says, "I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do." This is saying that following God means finishing what He's called us to do.

Ever since reading that verse, it's become very important to me that I not just do what God has called me to do, but that I finish what He's called me to do.

There are a lot of people who step out and begin a journey with God, but I don't think there are nearly as many who finish it.

The apostle Paul said, '...If only I may finish my course with joy...' (Acts 20:24).

I'm determined to finish God's call for me and enjoy every minute of it! That's what I want for you, too, to enjoy every single day of your life and finish what God's called you to do.

But most of this is up to us. It's not all up to God. He has done His part and given us everything we need in Christ. It's up to us to keep learning, growing, and letting the Spirit of God work in us. Take time to consider the things that God has called you to do and ask yourself, "What am I doing today to finish strong what God has set before me?"

God has great plans for you. Receive them by faith and go after them with all your heart. Today, I want you to make a commitment to finish strong. It's a commitment I know God will honor.

Prayer Starter:
God, like Jesus, I want to be able to say that I have completed the work You have for me. Thank You for working in me to give me the power and the desire to live for Your pleasure and finish my course with joy!

Day 14: Throwing Fear Outdoors

1 John 4:18 AMP 18 There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and [so] he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love [is not yet grown into love's complete perfection].
I want to talk to you about a four-letter word: FEAR!

Many of us can probably remember when we were kids, if we said a bad word, our mama threatened to wash our mouth out with soap. Well, if "fear" is a dirty, four-letter word, then faith in God's love is the soap!

I'm not talking about wimpy faith. I'm talking about a powerful faith in God's unconditional, unlimited, unwavering, perfect love for us.

First John 4:18 teaches that understanding God's love for us will deliver us from our fears. Now this doesn't mean we won't ever feel fear, but faith in God and His love will enable us to 'do it afraid' if we have to.

God wants you to know that He is with you. He will lead and guide you, so you can put your confidence and faith in Him!

Remember, His love is perfect, even when we aren't. He isn't going to love us any more or less because of our mistakes. Isn't it good to know that God loves you right where you are? Doesn't that thought just kind of boost your faith and take your fear down a notch?

You and I are going to feel afraid now and then. When we do, we can get our focus back on God and know that He will lead us through any situation we face.

It's the perfect love of God, not perfect us, that casts out fear every single time

Prayer Starter:

God, only Your love can cast out my fear, so I put my faith in You. I know that Your presence is with me and that You will lead me through any fearful situation I face. I receive Your love.

Day 15: Finding the Fun

Proverbs 17:22 AMP A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.

Want to hear a funny story? I've got a lot of them, and they come from things that happened in my ordinary, everyday life. Now, I wasn't laughing when those stories were in the making, but I'm glad I can laugh about them now.
For example, I didn't think it was funny when I couldn't get my hair to stay in place, but if you'd seen what I did about it, you certainly would have laughed. It wasn't amusing when I tried to make clothes, especially for the people who had to wear them.

And I was so irritated when Dave threw paper towels over the grocery store aisle at me, but I realize now, he just knew how to have a little fun no matter what he was doing. I'm glad I've learned to look at times like these and see the humor in them.

Now I know that not everything in life is necessarily enjoyable, but I think we all need to learn to have more fun in our lives. And I bet if you took time to think about it every day, you could find a moment that brought you joy or you can laugh about now.

God wants His children to have some fun. The Bible says a merry heart does good like medicine. I think we all need a healthy dose of laughter every day - many times during the day. You just can't overdose on joy!

I encourage you to deliberately look for something to smile or laugh about every day, and be sure to share a smile or a laugh with someone else and brighten their day too!

Prayer Starter: Lord, Your Word says that a cheerful heart is like good medicine. Thank You for helping me to find the joy and fun in life!

Day 16: Living a Life of Blessing

Galatians 6:10 AMP 10 So then, as occasion and opportunity open up to us, let us do good [morally] to all people [not only being useful or profitable to them, but also doing what is for their spiritual good and advantage]. Be mindful to be a blessing, especially to those of the household of faith [those who belong to God's family with you, the believers].

I believe that one of the greatest opportunities we have as Christians is to make a profound difference in the lives of others. Throughout my life of ministry, God has given me the opportunity to help many people who need guidance.

But I don't believe this is a special opportunity that God made just for me. Everyone, you included, has the ability to influence someone. When you take the time to reach out to others and invest in someone's life, you are impacting the world...yours and theirs.

Galatians 6:10 tells us to "be mindful to be a blessing" to everyone God brings across our path. We are called to be a blessing and build up others in their faith, to not be afraid to reach out and to speak the truth in love.

I don't believe God wants us to be mere spectators in life. He wants us to be people who really love others and care enough to be willing to pour into their lives. We need to build up others in Jesus' name so they can grow and reach even more people.

Whether you know it or not, someone's watching and looking up to you. People are influenced by the way you live and they need to see God's love in your everyday actions.

At times we'll make mistakes, and when we do we can thank God for His forgiveness, but we also have to realize that many times we may be the only evidence of God some people see.

Prayer Starter:

God, every day there is another opportunity that You have given me to reach out, bless and influence someone else with Your love. I want to live a life of blessing toward others, showing them what it means to live a God-focused life.

Day 17: Faith to See Yourself Through God's Eyes

First John 4:4.... He who is in you is greater then he who is in the world.
Whatever you're facing in life, or whatever is coming in your future, God has already given you the faith for it. It may not look like it, and you may not feel like you have what it takes to overcome, but faith in God isn't based on our circumstances or how we feel.

The enemy would like for you to believe that you don't have a chance of life, that you're too weak, too poor, to whatever. But God has a different view with you. God sees you through the eyes of love. He sees who you are in Christ – what you can be and what he has invested in you – not what you or others may see.

Seeing yourself the way God sees you leads to a life of overwhelming victory.

But it takes faith. You can't just hear that God loves you and sees you as his child – you have to believe it. It takes faith to move forward and overcome the challenges of life. And faith does you no good if you don't know how to release it. You have to release your faith in order for it to work.

We release faith through our words, actions and, of course, through prayer. It's up to us to act.

1 John 4:4 is a Scripture Christians quote a lot, and almost any time I say this first in a church or conference, somebody claps and cheers but how many people really believe that he who is in you is greater then he who is in the world?

The truth is, the one in you is greater, and he loves you. So stretch your faith today and see yourself the way God sees you. Doesn't matter what the enemy wants you to see or how things might look. Our faith overcomes through the one who lives in us!

Prayer Starter

God, I believe that you love me and you have given me the power to overcome as your child, I will act on the faith you have given me every day, trusting in you and overcoming any obstacle that comes my way.

Day 18: Be a Mouthpiece for God!

1 Peter 3:10 AMP 10 For let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days [good–whether apparent or not] keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile (treachery, deceit).

If you can grasp an understanding of the power of the words you speak, it may just change the course of your life! Your mouth is a powerful tool, either for God or for the enemy. In other words, you can either speak positive, uplifting, encouraging things into existence in your life or produce negative, gloomy and discouraging things.

Now, I don't believe any of us want to be a mouthpiece for the devil. But the fact is, the mouth can be used for blessing or destruction, not only in our lives, but also in the lives of others. I've seen it in my own life. There was a time when pretty much everything I said was negative.

But the Holy Spirit taught me how to use the creative power of the Word of God. I learned how to speak to the mountains rather than about the mountains in my life. What I mean is, I learned to apply the truth of His Word to my circumstances, and over time, I began to see positive and lasting results.

The mouth is like a pen and your heart is like a tablet. When you say something over and over, it gets on the inside of you and becomes you. It's not something you have to try to do anymore, it's who you are.

I'd much rather be a mouthpiece for God than the enemy. I want to speak His truth and enjoy my life.

First Peter 3:10 says, "Let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days...keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile." Do you want to enjoy life? Then use your mouth to speak the things of God into your life!

Prayer Starter:
Lord, I know that my mouth is a powerful tool that can be used for You or for the enemy. I submit my mouth to You. Show me how to speak Your truth into my life and into the lives of others.

Day 19: Change the Way You Think

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

Have you ever heard the saying "a mind is a terrible thing to waste'? Our minds have so much capacity for good, to learn, create, think and grow, and it's a tragedy when we don't use them to their highest potential.

There was a time in my life when I allowed too many damaging thoughts to enter my mind, negative, tormenting, guilty, unforgiving, shameful and accusing thoughts. The problem was that I had no idea I could control my thoughts or choose which thoughts I focused on and believed in.

I didn't realize that if I was thinking something that wasn't true, I had the power to stop. No one ever told me I could win in my mind. Has anyone ever told you? If not, then I'm here today to tell you that you don't have to let your thoughts control you. You can choose to think and focus on God-thoughts!

Romans 12:2 says to "let God transform you, by changing the way you think." God wants to help you win the battle in your mind. But what does that look like on a practical level?

Here's what has worked countless times for me and what I know will work for you too: The next time you're wrestling in your mind, I want you to stop and find something specific that you can thank God for. Tell Him how grateful you are for His goodness and all the rich ways He's blessed your life.

As you're diligent to do this, you will see your life begin to change and things will get better and better. It's my hope and prayer that you will know the power God has given you and that every day in your thoughts, you will walk in the fullness of His love for you!

Prayer Starter:

God, I want to experience Your power in my thought life. I choose to focus on Your goodness and Your love for me. No matter what negative thought comes my way, I know that You are so much bigger and better.

Day 20: Letting God's Love Overcome Past Hurts

Ephesians 3:19 [That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!

Early in our marriage, Dave and I had some rough years, and a lot of it was because I needed God to heal me from my past of being abused sexually, emotionally and verbally by my dad. Through a lot of tears and difficult moments of choosing to forgive instead of getting revenge, God brought me through, and He's also used my testimony to bring healing to the lives of others. When God heals you of past hurt, He not only wants to help you, but He also wants your experience to be a gateway through which others can experience the same healing.

Eventually, I came to a point where God led me and Dave to move my parents to St. Louis and even buy them a home, which was very difficult for me. But my dad ended up apologizing to me for all he had done and even received Christ into his life.

I experienced a whole new level of emotional health because I let God heal me through the power of forgiveness, and allowed Him to use my restoration to help heal my dad.

You know, we can all hurt in a lot of different ways. Loneliness, disappointment, rejection, fear and insecurity all have the ability to hurt us deeply. I couldn't move beyond the hurt from my past until I received and experienced the love of God and allowed Him to turn it all around.

Before you can move beyond your pain and learn to love and forgive others, you have to experience God's love.

When dealing with your past, remember that God loves you deeply. The Bible says that we are only complete when we experience the love of Christ, which is so great you could never fully understand it. As you receive His love, healing will begin in your heart and you will be made complete with the fullness of His life.

Prayer Starter:

Lord, I believe You can help me overcome the hurt and pain of my past and use my healing to help others. Help me to experience the love of Christ and make me complete with all the fullness of Your life and power.

Day 21: Pray Persistenity

James 4:2 AMP -You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. [I John 3:15.]

About twenty years ago, this next sentence changed my life: "You do not have because you do not ask God." This short verse opened a door for me to discover the life-changing power of persistent prayer.

At that time in my life, I was stressed out about a lot of different things. I was trying to make my ministry grow, trying to make my husband do this or that, trying to make my kids act a certain way, trying to make other people do the things I wanted, trying to basically do absolutely everything on my own. As you can probably guess, it wasn't working!

As a burned-out, frustrated young Christian, I realized one day that living in my own strength was useless. I needed to take my problems to God. In other words, I needed to pray more!

When we understand God's love for us and His plan for us, then we can begin to realize the doors that He wants to open for us. But we'll only realize these things when we're constantly talking with Him, listening to His voice, and growing deeper in our relationship with Him.

In Matthew 7:7 (AMP), Jesus tells us, "Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you."

So many times, when we reach the end of our rope, we turn to prayer, but when our prayers are not instantly answered, we give up. Today, I want to encourage you to not only pray, but to pray persistently. Don't stress out trying to make things happen on your own. Give it all to God as you pray.

Remember, He promises that when we seek Him, we will find Him. Let's pray and seek Him with all our hearts.

Prayer Starter:

God, remind me to bring my problems to You. I'm tired of living in my own strength. I need Your guidance and Your direction. As I seek You daily, I will put my trust in You.

Day 22: Complaining Is a Sin!

Psalm 100:4 AMP 4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and a thank offering and into His courts with praise! Be thankful and say so to Him, bless and affectionately praise His name!

In Ephesians 4:29, the apostle Paul instructs us not to use any foul or polluting language. At one time, I didn't realize that this included complaining, but I have since learned that murmuring and complaining pollute our lives.

Plain and simple, complaining is a sin! It causes many people a great deal of problems in their lives and destroys the joy of anyone listening.

We need to ask ourselves, how quick are we to become impatient and begin to complain when stuck in traffic or while waiting in checkout lanes in grocery stores or department stores? How quick are we to spot and point out all the faults of our friends or family members? Do we complain about our job when we should be thanking God that we have one?

The best antidote for complaining is thanksgiving. Truly thankful people do not complain. They are too busy being grateful for all the good things they have that they have no time to notice the things they could complain about.

The Bible says that we are to enter God's courts with praise and thanksgiving. You and I need to make it a daily goal to live a life of thanksgiving. Let's be as positive and grateful as possible.

Try going to bed at night pondering everything you have to be thankful for. Let it be the first thing you do in the morning. Thank God for "little" things or things you might normally take for granted: a parking place, waking up in time for work, a meal, your family... Don't get discouraged when you fail, but don't throw in the towel and quit either. Keep at it until you have developed new habits and you are living with an attitude of gratitude.

Be generous with your gratitude. It will sweeten your relationship with the Lord.

Prayer Starter:

God, I want to live with an attitude of gratitude, starting right now! I thank you so much for loving me and for blessing me. Help me see the positive things in life and to thank You for them.

Day 23: God Works Through People

2 Corinthians 8:5: Nor [was this gift of theirs merely the contribution] that we expected, but first they gave themselves to the Lord and to us [as His agents] by the will of God [entirely disregarding their personal interests, they gave as much as they possibly could, having put themselves at our disposal to be directed by the will of God]–
One morning I was having my quiet time alone with God, and I said to the Lord, "God, how can You stand seeing all the pain, starving children, human trafficking, genocide, injustice, degradation, poverty, in the world and not do something?"

I didn't say it as a complaint or because I was questioning His integrity, and I don't even know that I was really expecting to get an answer, but I just asked Him. Immediately His answer came back: "I work through people. I'm waiting for My people to arise and do something."

You and I are part of an army, the body of Christ, and it's going to take everyone doing their part to change this world. God wants to work through us, and He's calling us to put on love and get to work.

In 2 Corinthians 8, Paul talked about how the churches in Macedonia gave, saying, "But first they gave themselves to the Lord and to us [as His agents] by the will of God [entirely disregarding their personal interests, they gave as much as they possibly could, having put themselves at our disposal to be directed by the will of God]."

That just amazes me, because they didn't just give their money, they gave themselves. God's calling us to live the same way. And one person working for the Lord has the ability to make a profound difference! So how will you give yourself to the Lord and be His agent today?

Prayer Starter:​

God, I invite You to work through me. I choose to lay down selfishness and pick up love so that I can be used by You to change the world.

Day 25: Experiencing God's Peace By Living in the Now

John 16:33 -I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]
Having an attitude of peace and calm is priceless. It's an attitude that says, 'I'm trusting God,' and it speaks powerfully to people. But it takes time, focus, and the grace of God to be consistently peaceful.

Too often our stress level is tied up in our circumstances. You could be stressed because you're always busy or you're struggling financially or because you're not getting along with someone you love.

To conquer the stress in our lives, we need to learn to practice the peace that's been provided for us by the overcoming power of Jesus.

One way to develop consistent peace is to learn to live 'in the now.' We can spend a lot of time thinking about the past or wondering what the future holds, but we can't accomplish anything unless our mind is focused on today.

The Bible tells us that God gives us grace for each day that we live.

I believe God's grace is the power that enables and energizes us to do what we need to do - and He gives it generously, as we need it.

Every day we need to say, 'God has given me today. I will rejoice and be glad in it.' If you can learn to trust God 'in the now,' receiving His grace as you need it, you can become a truly peaceful person - and that's powerful.

Prayer Starter: God, I know that You have overcome any and every obstacle, so I ask You to help me live in the peace that You've provided for me. Show me how to trust You as I live 'in the now.'

Day 26: Ways to Practice Peace

Philippians 4:7 -And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
7 Ways to Practice Peace

Living in God's peace is vital to enjoying life. I believe that one of the keys to living with peace in your life is taking small steps toward peace every day. Here are a few tips you can use to develop a more peaceful lifestyle.

1. Be selective with how you spend your time. You may be trying to do too many things and end up doing none of them well. Hurrying is the flesh trying to do more than the Holy Spirit is leading you to do. Be led by the Spirit.

2. Be prepared to say "no" nicely. Sometimes we take on things we shouldn't because we're uncomfortable saying no. Ask God to give you the words to say no when you need to.

3. Resist the spirit of procrastination. God's Word tells us to exercise self-discipline. Do what you know you need to do now so you can fully enjoy your times of rest.

4. Eliminate key distractions. If you know you are prone to certain distractions, such as watching TV, set some guidelines for yourself.

5. Set appropriate boundaries for interruptions. Life is full of interruptions, but you can learn to set boundaries that help you manage them in healthy ways, such as scheduling times when you are "off limits." Schedule time to give yourself a break.

6. Modify your life. Ask God to show you out-of-the-box ways to save time and trouble. For instance, when I don't have time to do the dishes, I use paper plates!

7. Pray and listen. If you can see that your plan is not producing peace, go back to God, pray for peace in the now, and for the wisdom to make changes that will benefit your life.

The bottom line is to make peace a priority, take practical steps toward it, and let God lead you every day into His perfect peace that passes all understanding.

Prayer Starter:
God, lead me into Your peace that passes all understanding. Show me the daily steps I can take to walk in Your peace for me.

Day 27: Set Aside Distractions

Isaiah 26:9 -My soul yearns for You [O Lord] in the night, yes, my spirit within me seeks You earnestly; for [only] when Your judgments are in the earth will the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God).

The world makes it easy for us to fill our ears with all kinds of things that drown out the voice of God and push Him far, far into the background of our lives. These distractions come in various forms, from the television to the radio, from food to hobbies. Even our family and church activities can sometimes distract us or pull us away from the Lord.

However, the day comes for every person when only God remains. Everything else in life eventually passes away; and when it does, God will still be there.

The Word of God teaches that what is known about God is evident to all because He has made Himself known in the inner consciousness of mankind (see Romans 1:19-21).

Each person will one day stand before Him and give an account of his or her life (see Romans 14:12).

When people don't want to serve God with their lives, when they want to go their own way, they find ways to hide from and ignore this instinctive inner knowledge of their Creator who wants to talk to them and guide them in the way they should go. But nothing can satisfy our inner longing for God, except communion and fellowship with Him.

Isaiah expressed well our own hunger for God when he wrote, "My soul yearns for you [O Lord] in the night, yes, my spirit within me seeks you earnestly" (Isaiah 26:9).

Hearing from God is vital to enjoying His eternal plan for our lives. Listening to God is our decision; no one else can make it for us. God won't force us to choose His will, but He will do everything He can to encourage us to say yes to His ways.

So what's distracting you from listening to Him? An unhealthy relationship? A job? A bad habit? God is speaking to you and He desires fellowship with you. Put aside those distractions and join Him.

Prayer Starter:

God, like Isaiah, my soul longs for You. I know that I need to listen to Your voice more than anything else. I know that as I set aside distractions, You will be faithful to meet with me.

Day 28: God Is Speaking to You

John 16:13 - But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth). For He will not speak His own message [on His own authority]; but He will tell whatever He hears [from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him], and He will announce and declare to you the things that are to come [that will happen in the future].

It sounds like a pretty foundational point, but I believe there are many who still question whether God really talks to people. Have you ever wondered about this? Do you ask yourself if God would ever speak to you? You'll be happy to know that the answer is yes.

Toward the end of His time on earth, Jesus told His disciples, "I have still many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them or take them upon you or to grasp them now. But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth)" (John 16:12,13).

When Jesus spoke these words, He was talking to men with whom He had spent the previous three years, yet He still had more to teach them. This is surprising, because I would think that if Jesus was with me personally for three years, day and night, I would have learned everything there is to know.

But Jesus always has more to say because we will always be facing new situations in life that He wants to guide us through. That's why we've been given the Holy Spirit - so that we can hear God speak, even though He may not be physically in front of us.

Through Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit, God wants to speak to you on a One-to-one basis every day. He wants to lead you step-by-step to the good things He has in store for you. The Father will give the gift of His Spirit to all who ask for Him (see Luke 11:13). I want to say again emphatically that each of us can hear from God and be led by the Holy Spirit daily. Are you listening?

Prayer Starter:

God, I ask to be guided by the Holy Spirit. I believe that You are speaking to me, and I want to know what You have to say.

Day 29: Look From The Place Where You Are

Genesis 13:14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had left him, Lift up now your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward;
It seems that life always has its ways of bringing us to a place where we need to make a fresh start. In the Bible, Abram found himself in that very place when his nephew Lot chose the best land in the area, leaving Abram with the less desirable land. But God didn't abandon Abram.

Instead He showed up and gave Abram a bold new vision. I like what the Lord told Abram after he and Lot parted ways. He told him, 'Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are.'

It's that phrase, "look from the place where you are," that stirs me. That's the point of a fresh start, a new beginning. God Himself will bring us to that point occasionally. You might be there right now.

Maybe you want to break a bad habit or revive a lost dream. Maybe you want to get a handle on your finances, start your own business, write a book, whatever it is, God could be telling you to get started right now. This could be your new beginning!

After God told Abram to look from that place, the next thing He told him was, 'Arise, walk in the land through its length and its width, for I give it to you' (Genesis 13:17 NKJV).

God could be telling you right now to get up and get on with your dream or vision, your assignment, your life, because He is giving it to you. Your part is to walk it out. Do what you need to do. It may not be easy. It might take some time.

But trust God and go for whatever it is. Look from the place where you are right now - and go!

Prayer Starter: God, regardless of what's happened in the past, help me to look up from where I am now. I thank You for Your new beginning for me. I will boldly step into it and walk out Your calling for me.

Day 30: God Will Direct Your Journey

Psalm 37:23 The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step].
The Christian life can be likened to a journey. The Holy Spirit is our guide, He leads us daily. And He is always guiding us to what is best for our life. The key to a successful and enjoyable journey is to follow Him.

But what does it mean to follow God? Basically, it means to obey Him, to follow His lead, and to do what He says. So many times we get ahead of God.

We may think we know the best direction to take or we get impatient with His timing and make a wrong turn because it looks quicker. The problem is, once we realize that road leads to a dead end, we have to go all the way back to where we got off course. The good news is, God is there, waiting to take the lead again and show us the right way to go.

The Lord has each of our journeys perfectly planned. We need to fully understand that He loves us, that He is good and righteous and that we can trust Him. We can trust Him to lead us in the direction that is right for us. We can trust Him to correct us when we stray and guide us back to the right place. We can trust Him with others on our path.

We can trust Him with our life, period. Follow the Holy Spirit's lead, because He knows the way and He will always stay with you. Trust Him to lead you into all the good He planned for your life long before you were ever born.

And enjoy the journey.

Prayer Starter: God, Your Word says that You direct the steps of the godly. I trust You to guide me on the journey You have for me, and I know that when I get off track, You will always be there to help me recover and keep going.

Day 31: Breaking Bad Habits

Romans 12:21 AMP 21 Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil with good.
You can break up with your bad habits just like you can break up with a bad boyfriend or girlfriend. Bad relationships are one of the hardest habits to break, but if we choose to end them, we can spare ourselves a lot of trouble and pain. Let me explain.

For years and years, I had a habit of getting upset every time I didn't get my way. Maybe that's not your bad habit. Maybe you gossip or cuss or drink too much coffee or watch too much TV or spend money on things you don't need. Whatever your bad habit is, you can break it.

I'm not going to say that breaking a bad habit is easy, but it's God's desire for us to take authority over our bad habits. He doesn't want us to be "bossed around" by our emotions, He wants us to have victory.

Breaking a bad habit requires making a series of good choices, one after the other. Most of us will try to do that on our own without the help of the Holy Spirit. But eventually we figure out that we can't please God without God helping us.

The Amplified Bible refers to the Holy Spirit as our "standby." He's always standing by in case you get into trouble and need a little help. But He won't just show up uninvited. You have to ask Him for help.

Romans 12:21 says we "overcome (master) evil with good." That's one of the biggest secrets in the Word of God. It's a lot easier to make the right choice when you're focusing on God and your victory instead of the fear of failure.

Make the choice today to walk in the Spirit to overcome bad habits and live in victory!

Prayer Starter:
God, I'm done living with my bad habits. I make a choice now to take the authority You've given me over temptations that want to boss me around. I will follow Your Holy Spirit into new and better life habits.

Back
Top Bottom