Once a Son, Always a Son

LOL... If you can lose it it's not eternal.
And wouldn't' that depend on how you're looking at it? Maybe we could think of eternal life and the way you're thinking about it as duration. Eternal Life is also the type of Life....God's ZOE life of God. But lets go with the term its durational.

So why couldn't it be thought this way. God has provided (let's call it a bus) which takes us to a destination. We'll call the bus eternal life. OK God has provided the bus and has given you eternal (forever life) You're in the bus.....but let's hold on.....does that mean one can't choose to leave the bus? Didn't he say if you abide in me.....and added if one leaves abiding him him they'd be cast out and thrown into the fire?

Because that which was given to you was eternal wouldn't necessarily mean it couldn't be forfeited.
You would have to have brain damage to meet the Creator of the universe and the author of salvation and have his holy spirit deposited inside of you and taste the goodness of God. Be set free from sin shame and condemnation. And then all of a sudden one day to stop believing.
But wouldn't you agree one can know God is real but become offended at him. In that regard it could be said there's many ways of not believing in him. You're not believing in his Lordship over your life and won't even seek to comply in serving him.

And wouldn't' that depend on how you're looking at it? Maybe we could think of eternal life and the way you're thinking about it as duration. Eternal Life is also the type of Life....God's ZOE life of God. But lets go with the term its durational.

So why couldn't it be thought this way. God has provided (let's call it a bus) which takes us to a destination. We'll call the bus eternal life. OK God has provided the bus and has given you eternal (forever life) You're in the bus.....but let's hold on.....does that mean one can't choose to leave the bus? Didn't he say if you abide in me.....and added if one leaves abiding him him they'd be cast out and thrown into the fire?

Because that which was given to you was eternal wouldn't necessarily mean it couldn't be forfeited.

But wouldn't you agree one can know God is real but become offended at him. In that regard it could be said there's many ways of not believing in him. You're not believing in his Lordship over your life and won't even seek to comply in serving him.
Just hop on the bus Gus And get yourself free. Let's say you're on the bus and it's going 60 miles an hour and you decide to get off by jumping through the window. But the holy spirit says hang on Gus that'll be suicide and you'll lose your salvation. That eternal life you thought you had just got run over by a semi. Yeah let's look at it that way.

But seriously if you're on the bus that means you paid for it and you're trying to get somewhere. Why would you get off before your destination? In our case Jesus paid for our salvation and provided the destination. You accept that and believe that by faith when you hear the gospel. Why would you get off the Jesus bus before you get to your destination?

Satan might try to convince you of that extremely bad idea but I'm thinking the holy spirit might also convince you to stay on the bus.

The Bible teaches that anyone who has put their faith in Jesus as their Savior has Eternal Life, and cannot lose their Salvation.

Here are the 10 best verses clearly showing this from the Word of God:

• John 6:39-40
  • 1 John 5:1
  • John 10:28-29
  • Ephesians 1:12-14
  • Romans 8:38-39
  • Romans 11:29
  • John 6:47
  • John 3:36
  • 1 John 5:13
  • John 5:24

The New Testament left us with detailed explanations of how one becomes a child of God. Don't you think that if that process could be reversed, it make sense that it would have gone into equal detail explaining that as well?
No. This is an example of what I call THE PERVERSION OF EQUALITY, endemic in our society today. It's sufficient to say the T&C's of the contract even if they are not equal, e.g., the existence of an unforgivable sin.

Some children are disinherited. Fact.

Just hop on the bus Gus And get yourself free. Let's say you're on the bus and it's going 60 miles an hour and you decide to get off by jumping through the window. But the holy spirit says hang on Gus that'll be suicide and you'll lose your salvation. That eternal life you thought you had just got run over by a semi. Yeah let's look at it that way.

But seriously if you're on the bus that means you paid for it and you're trying to get somewhere. Why would you get off before your destination? In our case Jesus paid for our salvation and provided the destination. You accept that and believe that by faith when you hear the gospel. Why would you get off the Jesus bus before you get to your destination?

Satan might try to convince you of that extremely bad idea but I'm thinking the holy spirit might also convince you to stay on the bus.

The Bible teaches that anyone who has put their faith in Jesus as their Savior has Eternal Life, and cannot lose their Salvation.

Here are the 10 best verses clearly showing this from the Word of God:

• John 6:39-40
  • 1 John 5:1
  • John 10:28-29
  • Ephesians 1:12-14
  • Romans 8:38-39
  • Romans 11:29
  • John 6:47
  • John 3:36
  • 1 John 5:13
  • John 5:24
Many professing Christians are not possessing Christians (are not real Christians). “All that glitters is not gold.” Only true Christians are on their way to heaven.

.But seriously if you're on the bus that means you paid for it and you're trying to get somewhere.
Lot of people might be on buses they didn't pay to be on. Church buses other things too right?
Why would you get off before your destination?
And we know Jesus spoke of this. We might say, deceitfulness of riches, the lusts of other things even the refusal to be persecuted....thus they may not remain faithful unto the death.
In our case Jesus paid for our salvation and provided the destination.
Sure he paid for the salvation. But that doesn't mean they'll remain faithful to the end. To those he promised to give the crown of life. Jm 1:12 And if the Christian couldn't stop abiding in him why would Jesus say If You Continue in my Word. In other words....they can and could leave the bus.

I don't think there's any might about it. The Holy Spirit would seek to encourage you to do so.....such doesn't mean you'll choose to be convinced.
Well you're asserting a OSAS belief. The question is though is that actually true.

Wouldn't you say these verses need to be considered? Aren't they pretty clear? 2 Pet 2:20-21.

"For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them."

Many professing Christians are not possessing Christians (are not real Christians). “All that glitters is not gold.” Only true Christians are on their way to heaven.
And those who would be who? Those who remain faithful until the end. Doesn't say they weren't faithful at any one time. Matt 24:13

And those who would be who? Those who remain faithful until the end. Doesn't say they weren't faithful at any one time. Matt 24:13
Not real Christians. Not real Christians would be those who Jesus was referring to when he said "Depart from me for I never knew you" And even though they put on a good show of doing this and doing that according to Jesus they weren't faithful at any time. That's why he never knew them.

Jesus linked this promise of eternal life to His Father’s will when He said in John 6:39–40:

This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

If anyone who believed in Jesus ever failed to make it into the kingdom, then Jesus will have failed to do the will of the Father! It isn’t that we need to stay faithful to keep eternal life. It is that He needs to stay faithful for us to keep it. And, of course, He will.

Once a person believes in Jesus, he is secure forever. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, a born-again person can do to cause himself to lose everlasting life

The New Testament left us with detailed explanations of how one becomes a child of God. Don't you think that if that process could be reversed, it make sense that it would have gone into equal detail explaining that as well?

One defense for OSAS That I've seen repeatedly is the parable of the lost son. It's interesting to note the way that parable applies to this topic is that he was never really lost as far as his salvation goes. The relationship with his father was damaged but it wasn't destroyed.

Here's how Charles Stanley explains it:

A certain man had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, “Father, give me the share of the estate that falls to me.”—Luke 15:11–12

With those words Jesus had His audience’s undivided attention. From what we understand of first–century Jewish culture, no son with any respect at all for his father would dare demand his share of the inheritance. It was customary for the father to choose the time for the division of the inheritance. To make things worse, the younger son was making the request. What he did was unthinkable!

Jesus continued,

And he divided his wealth between them. And not many days later, the younger son gathered everything together and went on a journey into a distant country, and there he squandered his estate with loose living.—Luke 15:12–13

Not only did he demand his share of the inheritance, the younger son left town with it. Apparently, he had no concern for his father’s welfare. He was concerned about only himself. So he took the money, went to a distant country, and partied it all away.

No doubt Jesus’ listeners were all rehearsing in their minds what they thought the disrespectful brat deserved. How dare he take such a large portion of his father’s hard–earned estate and throw it away! According to the law, a son who cursed his father or was rebellious and stubborn was to be put to death (see Lev. 20:9; Deut. 21:18–21). The death penalty was the most likely verdict reached by many who listened that day.

But then the story took a surprising turn: (Could it be God's hand was on the situation?)

Now when he had spent everything, a severe famine occurred in that country, and he began to be in need. And he went and attached himself to one of the citizens of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he was longing to fill his stomach with the pods that the swine were eating, and no one was giving anything to him. —Luke 15:14–16

The crowd must have become almost nauseous as Jesus described the condition in which the boy found himself. The Pharisees would not even go near swine, much less feed them. By their definition, the young man was hopelessly ceremonially unclean. That is, he would probably never get clean enough to enter the temple and offer sacrifices. And to think he would even consider eating with the pigs. To them, he had gone over the edge, but then, he deserved it.

At the same time, however, many who stood there that day could relate to the story of the prodigal son. They had abandoned their heavenly Father. Like the lad in the story, they were in situations that caused them to be alienated from the religious community. By the practiced standard of the day, they were unacceptable to God. They listened carefully as Jesus went on,

But when he came to his senses, he said, “How many of my father’s hired men have more than enough bread, but I am dying here with hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men.’ ” And he got up and came to his father.—Luke 15:17–20

I imagine everyone who heard Jesus that day had an opinion about what the father should say or do when the boy began his speech. At the same time, I doubt any of them would have ended the parable the way Jesus did:

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him, and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him, and kissed him.—Luke 15:20

The Pharisees must have cringed at the thought of embracing someone who had spent time feeding swine. Jesus then added,

And the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father said to his slaves, “Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet; and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.” —Luke 15:21–24

A Worst Case Scenario​

Culturally speaking, what Jesus described in the parable was a worst case scenario. The boy could not have been more disrespectful. He could not have been any more insensitive. And he certainly could not have been a greater embarrassment to the family.

No one would have blamed the father if he had refused to allow the boy to join up as one of his hired men. The son didn’t deserve a second chance, and he knew it. He recognized how foolish it would be to return with the notion of being allowed back into the family. That was not even a consideration. In his mind, he had forfeited all rights to sonship. He was of the conviction that by abandoning his father and wasting his inheritance, he had relinquished his position in the family.

His father, however, did not see things that way at all. In his mind, once a son, always a son. The father’s first emotion as he saw the son returning wasn’t anger. It wasn’t even disappointment. He felt compassion for him. Why? Because the young man was his son!

The father said: “This son of mine was dead and has come to life again” (Luke 15:24). He did not say, “This was my son, and now he is my son again.” On the contrary, there is no hint that the relationship was ever broken, only the fellowship. By “dead” Jesus meant “separated.” That was clearly a figure of speech since the son did not physically die in the parable.

Christ’s next words have been used by some to argue that salvation can be lost. He went on to say, “He was lost, and has been found” (v. 24). To say that “lost” and “found” refer to eternal salvation is to assume that they are being used figuratively. But there is no evidence for such a use from the immediate context. The son was literally lost. That is, the father did not know where he was. When the son returned, he was found.

Charles F. Stanley, Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure?
There is a difference between a biological child of someone and being a child of someone in the sense of being in their image like a chip off of the old block who has the same character traits as their father expressed through doing the same works. For example, in John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him, so the way that the children of Abraham are multiplied and are a blessing to the nations in accordance with the promise is not through having many biological children, but through turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to do the same works as Abraham in accordance with spreading the Gospel that was made known in advance to him. This is why 1 John 3:4-10 says that those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God and why Romans 8:4-14 contrasts those who are born of the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to God's law, so someone who ceases to be a bearer of the fruits of the Spirit ceases to be a child of God.

Sure you can. You can fall away and not be a True Believer, It's in the Bible. John 6:60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?” How does that happen? Like this... Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. John 6:64

They fell away because they were not really "in"
Those people did not get fully "in", this is true. But no, Jesus did not know from the beginning who would betray him, and who was in and who was not, unless the Holy Spirit told Him. Jesus did not exercise any of His power or authority on His own behalf, He only knew or did what the Spirit gave Him to know or do.
But you cannot fall out of a boat that you are not "in". You cannot jump out of an airplane that you are not "in". You cannot get out of a marriage that you are not first "in". You cannot take money out of your wallet that is not first "in" your wallet. You cannot fall out of Christ if you are not first "in".
Notice the words used in John 15:2. Any branch "IN ME" that does not bear fruit is taken away (cut off). You cannot be "in Christ" and not be saved. But if you are cut off from Christ, you are no longer "in Christ" and so are lost.

Those people did not get fully "in", this is true. But no, Jesus did not know from the beginning who would betray him, and who was in and who was not, unless the Holy Spirit told Him. Jesus did not exercise any of His power or authority on His own behalf, He only knew or did what the Spirit gave Him to know or do.
But you cannot fall out of a boat that you are not "in". You cannot jump out of an airplane that you are not "in". You cannot get out of a marriage that you are not first "in". You cannot take money out of your wallet that is not first "in" your wallet. You cannot fall out of Christ if you are not first "in".
Notice the words used in John 15:2. Any branch "IN ME" that does not bear fruit is taken away (cut off). You cannot be "in Christ" and not be saved. But if you are cut off from Christ, you are no longer "in Christ" and so are lost.
According to my Bible Jesus did know from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. John 6:64
But it would make an interesting thread "The Trinity and Once Saved Always Saved"

Okay we've already done the Jesus bus analogy, now we sunk (pun intended) to the boat analogy. You don't have to be in the boat to have a boating accident. You could be Barely holding on to the bow of the boat. The same holds true with an airplane. Some people try to sneak a plane ride by Becoming Wheel-well stowaways attempting to travel in the landing gear compartment. They usually end in tragedy.

The marriage analogy of course we all know that God hates divorce and only allows It because of the hardness of our hearts. A good analogy is he's the bridegroom and were the bride. He won't divorce us. The same goes for Jewish betrothal law declares that the betrothal is equivalent to an actual marriage and only to be dissolved by a formal divorce.

I'm sorry but I just cannot go for any kind of analogy that uses money in a wallet to describe salvation.
T t
How about a pearl of great price. One interpretation is that the pearl is Christ, and a Christian gives his all to Him. The ones that don't give their all and bear some good fruit are not and never were Christians.

The Bible uses warning passages... if you're a bad tree and not bearing any fruit then you're not saved. Some followers of Christ we're only following him to fill their bellies. Once it got too real for them they left.

13 I write this to you who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) the name of the Son of God [in the peculiar services and blessings conferred by Him on men], so that you may know [with settled and absolute knowledge] that you [already] have life, yes, eternal life.
1 John 5:13

If you think you have eternal life and somehow can lose it then you never had it. Because the fact is “eternal” indicates that it is perpetual life—it goes on and on and on, with no end.

The reason for not having insurance of salvation happens when you don't adhere to, trust in, And rely on Jesus. That would make you a non-believer. A non-believer has no salvation to lose.

If you aren’t sure on the basis of faith in Christ that you have eternal life, then you would always wonder if what you thought was Salvation was merely religious activity.

“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13). Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died for your sins, and He rose again the third day. Believe this good news; trust the Lord Jesus as your Savior, and you will be saved (Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9 –10).

It's like gravity, You can have gravity explain to you, See it in in action, But if you don't believe it and try to defy it the results can be horrific.

John puts it so simply: “God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:11–12).

According to my Bible Jesus did know from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. John 6:64
My mistake, I had forgotten that verse, forgive me. But as I said, He did not know except what the Holy Spirit told Him.
Okay we've already done the Jesus bus analogy, now we sunk (pun intended) to the boat analogy. You don't have to be in the boat to have a boating accident. You could be Barely holding on to the bow of the boat. The same holds true with an airplane. Some people try to sneak a plane ride by Becoming Wheel-well stowaways attempting to travel in the landing gear compartment. They usually end in tragedy.
If you are holding on to the boat, you are "on the boat". Even if you are in the wheel well of the plane, you are still "on the plane". If you are in the wheel well of an airplane, and the wheels open, you will fall "out" of the plane. You don't have to be in the passenger compartment to be "in" the plane.
The marriage analogy of course we all know that God hates divorce and only allows It because of the hardness of our hearts. A good analogy is he's the bridegroom and were the bride. He won't divorce us. The same goes for Jewish betrothal law declares that the betrothal is equivalent to an actual marriage and only to be dissolved by a formal divorce.
Ahh, but divorce is allowable for infidelity. And if we go whoring after idols, or the cares of this world, and leave Him, He will let us go, just as He commanded the prophet Hosea to do when his harlot wife wanted to leave him. He was also commanded to take her back, but he let her go when she wanted to leave.
How about a pearl of great price. One interpretation is that the pearl is Christ, and a Christian gives his all to Him. The ones that don't give their all and bear some good fruit are not and never were Christians.
You are adding the "never were" to Scripture. It is not there. If one is "in Christ", as John 15:2 says, then they are "IN". They are not pretending. They are not deceived. They are in. Now, there are some who think they are in, but never were, as Matt 7:21-23 says. But they were never "in Christ", those in John 15 are in Christ.
The Bible uses warning passages... if you're a bad tree and not bearing any fruit then you're not saved. Some followers of Christ we're only following him to fill their bellies. Once it got too real for them they left.
That is true, but that only explains some of the people that we are talking about. There are also some who are "in Christ" that will not bear fruit, and they will be cut off or allowed to be choked out by the cares of this world. Walking in the light is the simplest, yet most difficult, thing a person can ever do.

“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13). Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died for your sins, and He rose again the third day. Believe this good news; trust the Lord Jesus as your Savior, and you will be saved (Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9 –10).

It's like gravity, You can have gravity explain to you, See it in in action, But if you don't believe it and try to defy it the results can be horrific.

John puts it so simply: “God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:11–12).
Just calling on the name of the Lord does not save (Matt 7:21). Calling on the name of the Lord is more than just saying that He is your Lord; just saying it does not make it true.

Yes, anyone who has the Son has life. But you can have the Son and then give Him up. If you do not continue to walk in the Light, then you do not continue to have Him, because He remains in the Light while you move off into darkness.

It the eternal purpose of God to save those who have believed in His Son. Since it's God’s eternal purpose to save the believer in Christ, can the believer can never be lost.

4 Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love.
Eph 1:4.

God chose the believer in Christ before the foundation of the world, at what point did the believer lose his salvation? “Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.... In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will.... We have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will”

God saves us and God keeps us. Once a son always the son.

Galatians 4:6: “And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, 'Abba Father! '”

Just calling on the name of the Lord does not save
The scripture says that it does, to go against that would be adding to scripture.

Romans 10:13

For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21

And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

Romans 10:9

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 10:17

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Romans 10:9-10

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

John 5:24

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Joel 2:32

And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Romans 10:9-13

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 22:16

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

The scripture says that it does, to go against that would be adding to scripture.

Romans 10:13

For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21

And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

Romans 10:9

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 10:17

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Romans 10:9-10

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

John 5:24

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Joel 2:32

And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Romans 10:9-13

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 22:16

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’
So then the question you have to ask next is, "What does it mean to 'call on the name of the Lord'"? Clearly it does not mean just saying "Jesus is Lord", because Jesus says clearly that there will be many who call Him Lord, and did great things in His name, but He will have never known them. But as He says, those who will be saved are not those who just call Him Lord, but those who obey Him and demonstrate that He really is their Lord. So then, calling on the name of the Lord is not just saying His name, but doing what He commands us to do, and doing it in His name.

So then the question you have to ask next is, "What does it mean to 'call on the name of the Lord'"? Clearly it does not mean just saying "Jesus is Lord", because Jesus says clearly that there will be many who call Him Lord, and did great things in His name, but He will have never known them. But as He says, those who will be saved are not those who just call Him Lord, but those who obey Him and demonstrate that He really is their Lord. So then, calling on the name of the Lord is not just saying His name, but doing what He commands us to do, and doing it in His name.
Well just off the top of my head I'm thinking like an altar call. Accepting Jesus into your heart. That prayer we say to him asking him to forgive us telling him that we believe in him and we want to follow him. I totally agree with you, Obedience is extremely important, That shows that he is our Lord.

I've heard a lot of different testimonies on how people came to Jesus I think the end result of that is when they call on the name of the Lord to save them.

One of the things Jesus made clear was when he said "They'll know you are my disciples by your love for one another" It's sad to see Christians spewing hate and discontent towards each other. But then the Bible does say we all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Last edited:
I would think these points need to be considered.

“Fall from grace” – Galatians 5:1-4,13 “Be led away with error” – 2 Peter 3:17 “Err from the truth” – James 5:19-20 “Weak brother may perish” – 1 Corinthians 8:11 “Fall into condemnation” – James 5:12 “Be moved away from the hope” – Colossians 1:21-23“Deny the Lord who bought them” – 2 Peter 2:1“Depart from the living God” – Hebrews 3:12“Can be a castaway” – 1 Corinthians 9:27
“Can become accursed children” – 2 Peter 2:14

Back
Top Bottom