Old Testament References and Allusions in Revelation 1-3

Richard

Also Free book:

The book of Revelation—the last book in the Bible—is, to many people, its most confusing. They find its strange symbols and images puzzling and mysterious. But you can understand it. The book's very name mean a revealing, a way to gain understanding. Its first verse tells us it was written to reveal "things which must shortly take place."

If you are confused by the book of Revelation and would like to know what it all means Then this is a good study for you.

Also Free book:

The book of Revelation—the last book in the Bible—is, to many people, its most confusing. They find its strange symbols and images puzzling and mysterious. But you can understand it. The book's very name mean a revealing, a way to gain understanding. Its first verse tells us it was written to reveal "things which must shortly take place."

If you are confused by the book of Revelation and would like to know what it all means Then this is a good study for you.
I didn't see your topic here but will respond to it. yes there is a God in heaven that reveals, and that same God is here on Earth, (in us), the Holy Spirit that reveals all things to us. John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

1 Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." 1 Corinthians 2:10 "But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." 1 Corinthians 2:11 "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God." 1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God." 1 Corinthians 2:13 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."

Might need to all these scriptures to 1-3

101G.

@101G
I'll try and be a little more clear on the topic. I've Been Told that if you study the book of Revelation you will also be studying the rest of the Bible at the same time. Meaning all the teaching in the Book of Revelation can be found throughout the Bible both Old and New Testament.

Of the 404 verses in the book of Revelation, seemingly 278 of them make some allusion to the Old Testament. That is 68.8% of the verses!
I've noticed in my Christian walk that very few churches teach on the Book of Revelation. All I can do is guess as to why that is. But in my opinion it's a very worthwhile study.

I noticed that you're from Mobile. I was stationed in Alabama in 1967 at Fort Rucker where I went to helicopter school.

I'll try and be a little more clear on the topic. I've Been Told that if you study the book of Revelation you will also be studying the rest of the Bible at the same time. Meaning all the teaching in the Book of Revelation can be found throughout the Bible both Old and New Testament.
True, but the future from the date of writing the book is in the POWER of the Holy Spirit to reveal unto us.
Of the 404 verses in the book of Revelation, seemingly 278 of them make some allusion to the Old Testament. That is 68.8% of the verses!
yes, for the OT points to the NT, this is what is called Prophecy?
I've noticed in my Christian walk that very few churches teach on the Book of Revelation. All I can do is guess as to why that is. But in my opinion it's a very worthwhile study.
yes to study .... with the Holy Spirit, but the book comes with a warning, Revelation 22:18 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

but also the book, has it blessing, concering the book itself.. Revelation 1:3 "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."
Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."
I noticed that you're from Mobile. I was stationed in Alabama in 1967 at Fort Rucker where I went to helicopter school.
alright then, FLY HIGH.... (smile). thanks fellow service member. I been to Ft. Rucker many times, and I took my AIT training for MP school when it was at Fort Gordon Ga. in 1973. I think it has been moved now to FT McClellan here in Alabama.

Great to hear from a fellow vet. God bless YOU.

101G.

Also Free book:

Cool!
Thank you for starting another op on this.
As noted on 101's op, I'm putting a count of Old Testament References based on the website.

I've got to say... I'm really having a "good" time with this. It's pretty awesome to realize there's so much of the old testament in Revelation.
I was just telling my wife that in the 90's after Chuck Missler did the first book, he stated that "there are 404 verses, and 808 allusions" to the old testament. The two newer books ... I just got to the end of chapter 16, and hit 900.
I have 6 more chapters.

I know.... I'm a numbers guy. I find counting boring, but with topics like this... there's a certain excitement to it.

Cool!
Thank you for starting another op on this.
As noted on 101's op, I'm putting a count of Old Testament References based on the website.

I've got to say... I'm really having a "good" time with this. It's pretty awesome to realize there's so much of the old testament in Revelation.
I was just telling my wife that in the 90's after Chuck Missler did the first book, he stated that "there are 404 verses, and 808 allusions" to the old testament. The two newer books ... I just got to the end of chapter 16, and hit 900.
I have 6 more chapters.

I know.... I'm a numbers guy. I find counting boring, but with topics like this... there's a certain excitement to it.
I'll follow your lead.

I'll follow your lead.
Just follow Jesus.
My only interest was that the op not get buried or dragged off into the weeds and beat to death by people who have are offended for whatever reason.

I'm over 1000 now, and in chapter 18.

Ok.
I have finished counting.
1265 old testament references.
That's over a 3 to 1 ratio.

This doesn't include any new testament references.
It's just a counting of old.

There are many verses throughout which have no old testament references and a fair which have lots of old testament references.

Back
Top Bottom