Introduction To JW Beliefs & Practices

Olde Tymer

~
My first encounter with a Watchtower Society agent (a.k.a. Jehovah's Witness)
occurred in 1969. At the time I was young and inexperienced; and thus assumed
that the missionary coming down my dad's driveway was a typical Christian.

But when I discussed the encounter with an experienced Christian; he became
alarmed; and urged me to read a little book titled "30 Years A Watchtower Slave"
by William J. Schnell; whom the Society at one time demonized as an agent of
Satan. I would not be surprised if it still does.

After getting oriented by Mr. Schnell's book, I was afterwards steered towards
another book titled "Kingdom Of The Cults" by Walter Martin. No doubt the Society
demonizes Mr. Martin too.

Around late 1980, my wife and I attended a series of lectures sponsored by a local
church titled "How To Witness To Jehovah's Witnesses". The speaker (call him Pete)
was an ex JW who had been in the Watchtower Society system for near three
decades before terminating his involvement; so he knew the twists and turns of its
doctrines pretty good.

Pete didn't instruct us to hammer the Society's missionaries in a debate because
even if we were to best them in a scripture for scripture food fight, they will not
give up on the Society. Their mind's unflinching premise is that the Society is right
even when it appears to be totally wrong. They are thoroughly convinced that the
Society is the voice of God, while our voices are regarded as no more valid than
that of a squeaky little gerbil.

Later on, I read a book titled "Why I Left The Jehovah's Witnesses" by Ted Dencher.
I also read the Society's little brown book titled "Reasoning From The Scriptures".

(This was all before the internet and the ready volume of information available
online, e.g. YouTube.

From all that research and instruction I discovered that although the Watchtower
Society uses many of Christianity's standard terms and phrases, those terms and
phrases mean something entirely different in the JW mind than what I expected
because the Society has re-defined them.

All in all; coping with Jehovah's Witnesses has been an Herculean task because
their religion is such a tangle of semantics coupled with a bizarre assortment of
interpretations, double speak, half truths, rationalizing, humanistic reasoning, and
clever sophistry.
_

~
Were John Que and/or Jane Doe Watchtower Society missionary to be questioned if
they believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, I can assure you they would
answer in the affirmative. However, they and the interviewer wouldn't be speaking
the same language as the conversation would be talking about two very dissimilar
processes that go by the same name. In other words: the interviewer would soon
find themselves thrown off by semantic double speak.

In Watchtower Society theology, an angel named Michael volunteered to come to
the earth to die for humanity's sins. But in order to do so; he had to relinquish his
angel existence to become a human existence seeing as how in Society theology it
is impossible to exist as a spirit being and a material being simultaneously.
However, when Michael expired, he didn't go completely out of existence. Instead,
his so-called "life force" remained intact and was transferred to a human form.

"The transferral of the life of his firstborn Son from the spirit realm to earth. Only in
this way could the child eventually born have retained identity as the same person
who had resided in heaven as the Word.
"
(Aid to Bible Understanding, 1971, p.920)

Also:

"He had to become a perfect man and yet not lose his continuity of life. His life
force was not to be extinguished but would be transferred to the ovum of the virgin
girl, Mary.
"
(Watchtower Magazine, Feb 02, 1982, p7)

But Michael's existence as a material being was only temporary. When his human
form passed away on the cross, the Society claims that God transferred Michael's
life force back into his angel corpse thus restoring him to his former spirit
existence; leaving the corpse of his human existence in a permanent state of
decease.

In other words: The Watchtower Society's Jesus is still dead, and his remains are
squirreled away on Earth somewhere in a condition and a location known only to
God.

FAQ: How does the Society explain Jesus' post resurrection appearances?

REPLY: Those weren't really Jesus. The Society claims they were the angel Michael
disguised in a materialized body, i.e. an avatar. I say "disguised" because never
once did their Michael give himself away, rather, their Michael led Jesus' friends to
sincerely believe his crucified dead body was back from the grave.

* It could be argued that Jesus lives on in the body of an angel; but that wouldn't
be true seeing as how Jesus' life force would've been Michael's to begin with.

The Society has to accept the obvious fact that their doctrine implies that Jesus
Christ was never really fully human, rather, he was an amalgam of angel and
human seeing as how it was the life force of an angel that kept Jesus alive. In other
words: the Society's Jesus wasn't an organic human in the normal sense, rather; he
was an organic angel.
_

~
My first encounter with a Watchtower Society agent (a.k.a. Jehovah's Witness)
occurred in 1969. At the time I was young and inexperienced; and thus assumed
that the missionary coming down my dad's driveway was a typical Christian.

But when I discussed the encounter with an experienced Christian; he became
alarmed; and urged me to read a little book titled "30 Years A Watchtower Slave"
by William J. Schnell; whom the Society at one time demonized as an agent of
Satan. I would not be surprised if it still does.

After getting oriented by Mr. Schnell's book, I was afterwards steered towards
another book titled "Kingdom Of The Cults" by Walter Martin. No doubt the Society
demonizes Mr. Martin too.

Around late 1980, my wife and I attended a series of lectures sponsored by a local
church titled "How To Witness To Jehovah's Witnesses". The speaker (call him Pete)
was an ex JW who had been in the Watchtower Society system for near three
decades before terminating his involvement; so he knew the twists and turns of its
doctrines pretty good.

Pete didn't instruct us to hammer the Society's missionaries in a debate because
even if we were to best them in a scripture for scripture food fight, they will not
give up on the Society. Their mind's unflinching premise is that the Society is right
even when it appears to be totally wrong. They are thoroughly convinced that the
Society is the voice of God, while our voices are regarded as no more valid than
that of a squeaky little gerbil.

Later on, I read a book titled "Why I Left The Jehovah's Witnesses" by Ted Dencher.
I also read the Society's little brown book titled "Reasoning From The Scriptures".

(This was all before the internet and the ready volume of information available
online, e.g. YouTube.

From all that research and instruction I discovered that although the Watchtower
Society uses many of Christianity's standard terms and phrases, those terms and
phrases mean something entirely different in the JW mind than what I expected
because the Society has re-defined them.

All in all; coping with Jehovah's Witnesses has been an Herculean task because
their religion is such a tangle of semantics coupled with a bizarre assortment of
interpretations, double speak, half truths, rationalizing, humanistic reasoning, and
clever sophistry.
_
"Mr. Martin" was a very dishonest antagonist of JWs. Here is just one example of many:

Dr. Walter Martin writes in his Kingdom of the Cults:

“John 5:18 - He said that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

“Concluding our chapter on this vital topic [the deity of Christ] is this verse that is self-explanatory. [#1] The Greek term ‘equal’ (ison) cannot be debated; nor [#2] is it contextually or grammatically allowable that John is here recording what the Jews said about Jesus, as Jehovah’s Witnesses lamely argue. The sentence structure clearly shows that John said it under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and not the Jews! Anyone so inclined can diagram the sentence and see this for himself. [#3] No serious scholar or commentator has ever questioned it. [#4] In the Jewish mind, for Jesus to claim to be God’s Son was a claim to equality with God, a fact Jehovah’s Witnesses might profitably consider!

“We see, then, that our Lord was equal with God the Father and the Holy Spirit in his divine nature, though inferior (as a man) by choice in His human nature as the last Adam (John 14:28; 1 Corinthians 15:45-47). [#5] This text alone is of enormous value and argues powerfully for our Lord’s Deity.” - pp. 96-97.

(Martin also said earlier, “the term ‘equal’ here [Phil. 2:6] is another form of ison ... [#6] which again denotes absolute sameness of nature, thus confirming Christ’s Deity.” - p. 68.) [Bracketed numbers above have been added by me. # 1 and #6 are the same point]

But here is how John 5:18 appears in its entirety:

“For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal [ison] with God.” - NIV.

You see, Jesus had just healed a man on the Sabbath (John 5:8, 9). Now the Jews had, by the accumulation of their man-made traditions, added hundreds of restrictions to their God-given Sabbath Law.[3] Jesus frequently pointed out how terrible many of their traditions were in God’s eyes and how they actually violated his word. At Matt. 15:6-9, for example, he said:

“you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’” - NIV.

The Law of Moses was still in effect for all Jews (including Jesus, of course) until it was done away by Christ’s death. Jesus, being the only perfect man, had to perfectly follow God’s Law, including the Sabbath law, all his earthly life as a man.

So, the only real question concerning the Sabbath laws would have to be: what was really in accord with God’s Sabbath requirements, and what were really the improper traditions of men concerning the Sabbath?

Jesus cleared up the problem of healing on the Sabbath: “it is lawful [in accord with God’s intended requirements for the Sabbath] to do good on the Sabbath.’” Then he healed a man on the Sabbath. - Matt. 12:10-13.

It is clear, then, that healing on the Sabbath was actually lawful in God’s eyes but unlawful in the eyes of the Jewish authorities only!

Obviously the Apostle John knew that Jesus had healed lawfully on the Sabbath. He knew that Jesus would never break the Sabbath as lawfully established by God. Only Jesus’ Jewish opponents believed Jesus was breaking the Sabbath!

Therefore, John could not possibly be saying, as Martin insists, that Jesus was “breaking the sabbath” (John 5:18). Obviously, instead, this is what Jesus’ Jewish opponents were saying (or thinking).

Therefore, in answer to [#2] above, it must be the Jews who are saying at John 5:18 “not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal [ison] with God.” - NIV.

Furthermore, it is obvious that John would never distort God’s word by saying that if anyone calls God his Father, he is necessarily claiming to be equal with God! - John 8:41; Matt. 23:9; John 20:17; Is. 64:8; Jer. 3:4, 19; Luke 3:38; Ro. 8:14, 15; Gen. 6:2; Job 38:7. - It must have been the words of those who by their traditions “nullify the word of God.”

If it truly were John who, when writing this account long after Jesus’ death, inserted such a false accusation of his own (as Martin is really saying), then, in answer to [#3] above, the following respected trinitarian scholars and translators would not have Jesus answering that ‘future’ (John’s Gospel was written over 50 years after Jesus’ death) inserted comment of John’s by speaking immediately to those Jews:

John 5:19:

"Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them [the Jews of Jn 5:18]...." - NASB.

"So Jesus said to them, .... " - English Standard Version.

"Then answered Jesus and said unto them,..." - King James Version

"Jesus therefore answered and said unto them...." - ASV.

"Jesus responded to the Jewish leaders...." - CEB.

“Jesus answered and said to them, ...." - NAB. .

"Answering, then, · Jesus · said to them...." - MOUNCE.

“So Jesus answered them, ...” - Good News Bible.

"So Jesus answered and said to them...." - LEB.

Jesus gave them this answer:.... NIV.

“To this charge Jesus replied, ....” - The New English Bible (and the REB).

“To this accusation Jesus replied: ...” - The Jerusalem Bible.

How well do the above respected trinitarian renderings support Martin’s statement: “... nor is it contextually or grammatically allowable that John is here recording what the Jews said about Jesus, as Jehovah’s Witnesses lamely argue.”? These respected trinitarian translators have said Jesus replied to this accusation. He couldn’t have replied to a comment that John was to make in the distant future; he must have responded to the comment made at the time by the Jews!

Remember, Martin declared “No serious scholar or commentator has ever questioned it” (that John, not the Jews, said the words in question). But the following major trinitarian references contradict Martin and confirm the clear and necessary understanding that this was actually the Jews’ statement or thought (not John’s).

“The Jews taxed [Jesus] with making himself equal with God [at John 5:18].” - p. 499, Vol. 2, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Zondervan Publishing, 1976, 1986.

“Our Lord’s opponents say that He has ‘called God his own Father [John 5:18].’” - The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, p. 968, Vol. 2, Eerdman’s Publishing, 1956, 1984.

“[John 5] verse 18. Making himself equal with God. This the Jews understood from the preceding verse.” - Adam Clarke’s Commentary, 1826.

After quoting Jesus’ words of John 5:19, 20, Noted trinitarian scholar and translator Dr. William Barclay writes in his popular and respected Daily Study Bible Series:

“This is the beginning of Jesus’s answer to the Jews charge that he was making himself equal to God.” - p. 188, Vol. 1, The Gospel of John, Rev. ed., The Daily Study Bible Series, The Westminster Press, 1975.

Not only is The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, quoted above, one of the most respected and best-known trinitarian Bible encyclopedias (as also is The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology), but it was so known at the time Martin wrote his diatribe above. (“No serious scholar or commentator has ever questioned it”)!

And notice this translation of John 5:18 by the very trinitarian Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version, World Bible Translation Center, 1992:

“The Jews said, ‘First Jesus was breaking the law about the Sabbath day. Then he said that God is his Father! He is making himself equal with God!’.”

Now let’s look at the Greek term “equal” (ison) which Martin proclaims [#1] “cannot be debated” and [#6]“denotes absolute sameness of nature.

The trinitarian reference work The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Vol. 2, pp. 496, 497, states:

“Although it is impossible to make a clear and universally applicable differentiation between the two word-groups, as they are often interchangeable, in general the isos group [ison] indicates more strongly an external, objectively measurable and established likeness and correspondence, while the words connected with homoios express more substantial, essential likeness .... Although the term does not appear in the NT, a note on homoousios [clearly more closely related to homoios above, not ison] has been appended to the article on homoios in view of the crucial importance of the term in the debates on the person of Christ in the early Church [325 A.D.]. It was opposed by the Arians but included in the Creed of Nicaea (325) asserting that Christ was ‘of the same substance [‘essence,’ ‘nature’] as the Father,’ and as such passed into the Nicene Creed” - see the HIST study paper.

So, right off the bat, we can see that, in general, if we wanted a term to show Jesus’ real equality (in his very “essence” or “nature”) with God, we wouldn’t use the term ison. -- [Of course this is all in accordance with the incredible trinitarian principal that no inspired Bible writer can actually come out and say: “three persons make up the only true God, and those three are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit”] -- And, although homoousios [“of the same substance”] was never used in Scripture to show Christ’s relationship to God, it was nevertheless so applied, after much violent, heated debate, by an apostate Church in 325 A.D. (over the objection of the vast majority of Bishops who preferred the term homoiousios [“of similar substance”]). - see HIST study.

Obviously, it was felt necessary by these 4th century Church trinitarian policy-makers to use this non-Biblical term instead of ison in order to declare Jesus’ essential equality with the Father. The fact that Scripture never uses it for this purpose is, therefore, very significant!

But let’s continue the examination of ison (or isos). The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, vol. 2, p. 968 (1984 reprint), discussing isos, reveals:

“In Mt 20:12, ‘made them equal’ means ‘put them upon the same footing,’ i.e. regarded their brief service as though it were the very same as our long hours of toil. In Lk 20:36 the context restricts the equality to a particular relation.

In other words, ison at Matt. 20:12 makes the workers measurably “equal” in only one external aspect: the amount of money they were to receive. They were really very unequal otherwise. Also in Luke 20:36, as the trinitarian reference book quoted above tells us, those resurrected humans and God’s angels are not necessarily considered equal in essence in this scripture but in only one particular relation: they will not die again. (See Living Bible.)

[Notice the use of isa (“equal” at Isaiah 51:23) in the Septuagint: Here God is speaking about those oppressors who commanded Israelites to lie down flat on the ground so they could be walked upon, and the Israelites “made their bodies equal [isa] with the ground” so they could be walked upon. Obviously the Israelites did not make their bodies absolutely equal with the ground thereby making themselves literal ground [or having the ‘absolute sameness of nature’ as the ground as Walter Martin would have to say] also, but merely made them equal in the external attribute of the ground: flatness, lowness, etc.]

So, Jesus’ apparent arrogation (in his enemies’ eyes, at any rate) to himself of the authority to “change” God’s Sabbath law (which, of course, he was not really doing) made him appear to them to be claiming to be “equal” to God (in that particular aspect: “changing” God’s Law - only).

It seems reasonably certain from the above that the Jews didn’t really believe Jesus was actually claiming to be God but attempting to usurp God’s authority in this one respect! But, since these were Jesus’ enemies who were making this false charge at John 5:18, it really matters very little what they claimed!

What does matter, however, is what Jesus claimed. How did Jesus answer this false charge by his enemies?

“To this charge Jesus replied, ‘In truth, in very truth I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he does only what he sees the Father doing....’” - John 5:19, NEB.

So Jesus did not claim that he was Almighty God or even equal to Him. He clearly told the Jews that he was not God, but that, even as God’s spokesman, he could not act upon his own initiative. Can we really picture the Almighty God of the universe saying that he could do nothing on his own initiative?

We find, then, that the Jews made a charge, and Jesus refuted it. He never claimed to be God. He never claimed to be equal to God!

Earlier in his book (p. 67) Martin made the same claim about John 5:18 and the word ison. Here, however, he referred us to the authoritative NT Greek scholar Dr. Joseph H. Thayer. Martin frequently refers to this scholar and his respected work (which Martin refers to as Thayer’s Greek Lexicon). On p. 67 Martin states:

“Dr. Thayer, Jehovah’s Witnesses might take notice, was a Unitarian who denied Christ’s Deity even as they themselves do; yet being honest, he gave the true meaning of the Biblical terms even though they contradicted his views.”

(Martin repeatedly makes similar statements about “Unitarian” Thayer’s apparently trinitarian interpretations in his Lexicon - e.g., p. 90, Martin.)

Perhaps when we see the full title of Thayer’s Lexicon we will begin to understand the truth of the matter. The cover page of this respected reference work states:

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Being Grimm’s Wilke’s Clavis Novi Testamenti Translated, Revised, And Enlarged by Joseph Henry Thayer, D.D.”

Yes, this famous reference work is a translation of German trinitarian Prof. C. L. Wilibald Grimm’s work!

Dr. Thayer’s meticulous honesty compelled him to translate trinitarian Grimm’s work complete with its trinitarian interpretations and all. Whenever Dr. Thayer added information of his own to this translation, he enclosed it in brackets to show that these were his own words. Obviously, none of the trinitarian material quoted by Martin is ever found enclosed in brackets in this Grimm/Thayer book. Instead, Martin repeatedly takes trinitarian Grimm’s words (translated into English by Dr. Thayer) and tells us these are the thoughts of “Unitarian” Dr. Thayer!

Thayer’s reputation for honesty, integrity, and scholarship is impeccable.

“As a teacher his work was marked by conscientiousness and enthusiasm; as a scholar, by industry, accuracy, and self-effacing modesty.” .... “At the time of his death he was recognized as the dean of New Testament scholars in America.” - pp. 408, 409, Dictionary of American Biography, Vol. IX, 1935, Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York.

Whether Thayer ever became a Unitarian as Martin claims, I do not know. I would like to think that his great learning and superior honesty eventually compelled him to the proper conclusion that God is one person only (unitarianism) and that that one person is the Father, Jehovah!

I do know that, according to his biography, Thayer was a “Congregational clergyman and New Testament scholar” - Dictionary of American Biography. And I find that Religions of America, p. 33, Leo Rosten, ed., 1955, states that Congregational Christians fully believe the Trinity.

But, whether trinitarian or unitarian, Thayer is not expressing his own views as Martin insists but is merely honestly translating trinitarian Prof. Grimm’s work!

(Incidentally, Martin distorts and misquotes this particular quote from Thayer’s Lexicon on p. 67 of his KOTC. First he ‘quotes’ Thayer as saying ison means “equal in quality AS in quantity” to make it appear that the word is always used with the meaning of equal in both quantity and quality [in other words total equality in every way]! What Thayer actually wrote, however, is ison may mean “equal in quality or in quantity”! Then Martin continues his ‘quote’ by leaving out 3 lines of further qualifications by Thayer but indicating instead that he was giving an entire unbroken quote. This is the pinnacle of dishonest scholarship! Even beginning students quickly learn [as honesty alone should tell them] that you must always warn your reader when you are skipping over part of a quote. This is always done by inserting dots [...] at the point you start your omission. Martin skipped over 3 lines of Thayer’s quote [including an explanation of Mt. 20:2 : the ‘equal’ workers] without indicating it at all!)

[#4] As for Martin’s assertion that “In the Jewish mind, for Jesus to claim to be God’s Son was a claim to equality with God,” we need only examine the highly trinitarian New Bible Dictionary:

“‘Son of God’ in Heb[rew] means ‘god’ or ‘god-like’ rather than ‘son of (the) God (Yahweh)’. In Job 1:6 ... Ps. 29:1; 89:6, the ‘sons of God’ form Yahweh’s [Jehovah’s] heavenly train [angels] or subordinates” - p. 1133. And, “‘Son of ...’ is an idiom for ‘having the characteristics of’ or ‘doing the work of’.” - cf. Mt 5:9, 45. - p. 1134, 2nd ed., 1982, Tyndale House Publishers.

And noted Biblical Hebrew expert, Gesenius, tells of only three scriptural Jewish understandings of “Sons of God”:

“The appellation of ‘sons of God’ is given in the Old Test. - (a) To angels .... (b) to kings ... as being the substitutes of God on earth .... (c) to men who piously worship God.” - pp. 126-127, Gesenius’ Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament, Baker Book House.

Luke also gives another Jewish understanding of the term “the Son of God” in the sense of one who was actually created by God: Luke 3:38 (KJV, RSV).

So what should we honestly conclude from the fact that Jesus was repeatedly called the Son of God in the inspired word of God?

Now review the accuracy of Martin’s declarations and accusations - (go back and reread his statements at the beginning of this discussion of ison - this is what Martin has been publishing, through many printings, and this is what Christendom’s ministers have been foisting off on their flocks in sermons, cassette tapes, and printed handouts for over 20 years now) - and how worthless this particular “proof” of the trinity doctrine really is.

[#5] If this is really one of the best “proofs” Martin can find (“of enormous value” and “argues powerfully for our Lord’s Deity”), where does that leave the rest of trinitarian “evidence”?

If you want another example of Martin's honesty and character - just ask.

This was a pretty long attack against Dr. Martin for pointing out that the Jews understood that Paul was equating himself with God. Even trying to reduce "Son of God" to be like Luke 3:38 would be quite a claim for deity of Christ since the other Jews obviously could not claim that. Nor did Jesus reject the Jews' complaint that Christ shows himself equal with God. If the Jews were wrong in their grievance, Jesus always is shown as recognizing what the Jews felt and said, and thus Jesus would correct their misunderstanding. Few others ... uh ... no others walking on the earth have the power to raise people from the dead just as the Father. No king (as the lexicon you chose) has had that power. Obviously the Jews were correct about seeing Christ's claim of equality with God.
Maybe there's something missing from the post that will actually identify fault with Dr. Martin.

~
Acts 1:1-3 . .The first account, O Theophilus, I composed about all the things
Jesus started both to do and to teach, until the day that he was taken up, after he
had given commandment through holy spirit to the apostles whom he chose. To
these also by many positive proofs he showed himself alive after he had suffered.

The Watchtower Society's version of those "positive proofs" is interesting.

In order to show his friends that their savior was back from death, the arch angel
Michael is alleged to have materialized a human body that was in all respects just
as physical, and just as functional, as a real human body.

However: the predicted new world order is on track to be governed not by angels,
rather, by humans (Heb 2:5-8) A materialized human-- a.k.a. an avatar --isn't
really human; it's an artificial theophany.

Now the way I see it: If Michael is to govern the new world order, then he will have
to undergo death all over again and his life force re-transferred back to his human
remains, thus restoring his human body to life. That way Michael could be Jesus again
instead of an angel in disguise.
_

~
Below is a passage utilized as proof text to substantiate the JW
belief that Jesus
was restored to life as an angel instead of the man he was on the cross.

"Why even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for
unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the
flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. In this state also he went his way and
preached to the spirits in prison, who had once been disobedient when the patience
of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a
few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water." (1Pet 3:18
20)

It's true that Jesus today has a so-called glorified body. (Phil 3:21) And it's true
that one of his glorified body's properties is immortality. (Rom 6:9, 1Tim 6:14-15,
and Rev 1:18)

Although Jesus' glorified body is immortal, it is still capable of dining upon ordinary
foods and beverages; and will do so in the kingdom. (Matt 26:29, Luke 22:15-16,
Luke 22:28-30)

In other words: when Jesus' body underwent its miraculous upgrade to immortality,
the process didn't transform him into a different species of life, viz: Jesus today is
still human.

1Tim 2:5 . . For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the
man Christ Jesus.

The Greek word translated "men" and "man" in that verse is anthropos (anth'-ro pos)
a very common word throughout the New Testament for indicating human life.

So; there are at least four things about Jesus today that we can be certain:

1) He's alive

2) He's immortal

3) He's capable of dining upon ordinary foods and beverages and,

4) He's an h.sapiens, i.e. a human life.

There's a fifth thing: Jesus' gender. Throughout the Bible, beginning with
Melchizedek in the book of Genesis; priests have always been humans and they've
always been males. God has never appointed a woman to that position. In point of
fact; God has never appointed women to be priests of any kind let alone high
priests.

Of Jesus it is said:

"Jehovah has sworn and will not change His mind-- You are a priest forever, in the
order of Melchizedek." (Ps 110:4)

"He was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek" (Heb
5:10)

Melchizedek's order is immortal (Heb 7:1-3 & Heb 7:23-25) viz: Jesus today is not
only a man, but he's permanently a man, i.e. he'll never be a woman nor will he
ever be an angel.

"For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he
had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a
merciful and faithful high priest in service to God" (Heb 2:15-17)

FAQ: If 1Pet 3:18-20 isn't relative to Jesus' resurrection; then what?

REPLY: It's relative to Gen 6:3, viz: 1Pet 3:18-20 is an excellent text that Jesus
(a.k.a. the Word) is a theophany, i.e. Jehovah's spirit in human form. And an
astonishing theophany it is because, in effect, Jesus places "My spirit" in a
pedigree with
Adam.
_

Last edited:
~
The verse below is deliberately misquoted in order to emphasize a point. Watch for
the revision.

"It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spirit body. If there is a natural body, there
is also a spirit body." (1 Cor 15:44)

There are of course spirit bodies, e.g. angels and demons. However, the actual
word in the verse above is supposed to be spiritual rather than spirit, and in some
places describes spiritual things that bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to
the bodily characteristics of an angel or a demon. For example:

Spiritual gifts (Rom 1:11)
Spiritual law (Rom 7:14)
Spiritual things (Rom 15:27)
Spiritual people (1Cor 2:15)
Spiritual nourishment (1Cor 10:3)
Spiritual water (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual rock (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual counselors (Gal 6:1)
Spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3)
Spiritual music (Eph 5:19)
Spiritual understanding (Col 1:9)
Spiritual housing (1Pet 2:5)
Spiritual sacrifices (1Pet 2:5)

Plus:

"The words that I have spoken to you are spirit" (John 6:63)

In that instance, the Greek word for spirit relates to that which is intangible;
whereas the word translated spiritual in 1Cor 15:44 is a broad category consisting
of both tangible and intangible. So then the properties of a spiritual body aren't
necessarily those of a ghostly being, rather; quite possibly those of a superhuman
being.

1Cor 15:53 . . For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal
must put on immortality.

Immortal people are able to dine upon ordinary foods and beverages.

Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until
that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I
suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of
God.

Luke 22:28-30 . .You are the ones that have stuck with me in my trials; and I
make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a
kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom
_

~
1Cor 15:35 . . How are the dead raised? and with what manner of body do they
come?

Everything that we know of in the cosmos-- all life, matter, and energy --is
composed of elements listed in the so-called periodic table. (There was a time
when every one of those elements were indigenous, but now several of them are
invasive, viz: man-made.)

Well; it seems reasonable to me that if God was intelligent enough, resourceful
enough, and capable enough, to create the elements we know of, then it shouldn't
be too difficult for Him to create any number of elements that we don't know of. (I
think it safe to assume that the world above is quite a bit unlike our world below.)

1Cor 15:50 . . This I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s
kingdom, neither does corruption inherit incorruption.

(According to John 3:3-12, a portion of God's kingdom will be established on
Earth.)

Now; if I am reading the 15th chapter of 1st Corinthians correctly, then verse 50
refers to Adam and to his natural chemical composition. (cf. Matt 16:17) But it's
very possible that Jesus' spiritual body is composed of elements nobody has ever
heard of; so that instead of it transparent as thin air, it consists of heretofore
unknown material easily seen by the naked eye.

Acts 1:11 . . Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus,
who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as
you have watched him go into heaven.

1 John 3:2 . .We shall see him just as he is.

Rev 1:7 . . Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even
those who pierced him
_

Back
Top Bottom