Identifying the sign one has received the Spirit in the book of Acts

TomL

John 7:38–39 (ESV) — 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John promises the indwelling of the Spirit will transpire upon the glorification of Christ

In the book of Acts we see

Acts 2:1–33 (ESV) — 1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.” 14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: 17 “ ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. 19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; 20 the sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day. 21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ 22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— 23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. 25 For David says concerning him, “ ‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken; 26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope. 27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption. 28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’ 29 “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, 31 he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.

Having been glorified Christ had poured what was seen on the day of Pentecost

The Jews were the first to be indwelt by the Spirit and accompanying Charimata speaking in tongues was the sign of it

At the receiving of the Spirit of both the Samaritans and the Gentiles there were observable signs

The gentiles we know spoke in tongues and there was an unstated visable sign at the Samaritans reception

Tongues was certain the initial evidence the Spirit had taken up residence in the gentiles

and it is likely tongues was the sign at the Samaritans reception

John 7:38–39 (ESV) — 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John promises the indwelling of the Spirit will transpire upon the glorification of Christ

Acts 2:1–33 (ESV) — 1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.” 14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: 17 “ ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. 19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; 20 the sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day. 21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ 22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— 23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. 25 For David says concerning him, “ ‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken; 26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope. 27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption. 28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’ 29 “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, 31 he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.

The Jews were the first to be indwelt by the Spirit and accompanying Charimata speaking in tongues was the sign of it

At the receiving of the Spirit of both the Samaritans and the Gentiles there were observable signs

The gentiles we know spoke in tongues and there was an unstated visable sign at the Samaritans reception

Tongues was certain the initial evidence the Spirit had taken up residence in the gentiles

1.Obviously what happened at Pentecost was unique compared to the other times the Holy Spirit fell. First there was a noise like a violent rushing wind. Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire resting on each of them. Then they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues. Then, another miracle occurred when the devout foreign Jews each heard the messages in tongues in his own language.
The combination of all of these events never happened again in Acts, at least it's not recorded. We have no evidence that subsequent outpourings of the Holy Spirit had the recipients speaking a foreign language as opposed to an unknown language. Paul said there are tongues of angels and of men and maybe even unknown tongues. 1 Cor. 13:1
2. In Acts 8, when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed on the Samaritan's through the laying on of hands, we conclude that he must have seen some physical evidence. It could be tongues but I think it could also be prophesying.
3. Then when the Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius' family and friends, they not only spoke in tongues, but they also exalted God, most likely in their own language, which again could be prophecy.
4. Then Paul found some disciples in Ephesus, who received the Holy Spirit when he laid hands on them, and they also spoke in tongues and prophesied.
So it appears to me that the initial sign of the Holy Spirit falling on someone or some group could not only be tongues, but also prophesying. It looks like the evidence is just as strong for either sign or both.

1.Obviously what happened at Pentecost was unique compared to the other times the Holy Spirit fell. First there was a noise like a violent rushing wind. Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire resting on each of them. Then they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues. Then, another miracle occurred when the devout foreign Jews each heard the messages in tongues in his own language.
The combination of all of these events never happened again in Acts, at least it's not recorded. We have no evidence that subsequent outpourings of the Holy Spirit had the recipients speaking a foreign language as opposed to an unknown language. Paul said there are tongues of angels and of men and maybe even unknown tongues. 1 Cor. 13:1
2. In Acts 8, when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed on the Samaritan's through the laying on of hands, we conclude that he must have seen some physical evidence. It could be tongues but I think it could also be prophesying.
3. Then when the Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius' family and friends, they not only spoke in tongues, but they also exalted God, most likely in their own language, which again could be prophecy.
4. Then Paul found some disciples in Ephesus, who received the Holy Spirit when he laid hands on them, and they also spoke in tongues and prophesied.
So it appears to me that the initial sign of the Holy Spirit falling on someone or some group could not only be tongues, but also prophesying. It looks like the evidence is just as strong for either sign or both.
On the day of Pentecost those baptized en the Spirit spoke in tongues praising God

Acts 2:7–11 (NASB 2020) — 7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? 9 Parthians, Medes, and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues of the mighty deeds of God.”

The true, biblical Church is founded upon Christ and is populated with Jews.
At the destruction of the Jewish Temple by Gentiles Christ halted building His Church.
Very soon God will remove Israel's blindness, send His two witnesses/prophets and again Jews will become saved and born-again, and the Church will again be populated by Jews as prophesied in Scripture.
Tongues is not the only gift God blessed His Church with. There are also pounds and talents and fruits. And even these are not the only gifts of the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
You have much to learn. Your Pentecostal theology is in error just as that movement is in error in their teaching that if one does not speak in tongues that person is not saved.
But Gentile have wreaked havoc on the Scripture for the last 1900 years.
When the two prophets arrive, they will clear up a lot of Gentile heresy and in their hatred and jealousy will join all the nations God brings against His covenant people Israel and God will destroy the nations and the Gentiles that live in those nations.
From there God will sit upon the throne of David located in Jerusalem, Israel, and God will give Israel their promised land and cleanse all Gentiles from that land as prophesied in Zechariah.
Gentiles will live in the "four corners of the earth" and when the thousand years expire Satan will be loosed from his prison and AGAIN deceive those nations (Gentiles) but fire from heaven comes down from heaven and consume them all and the Jews will be the only people standing.
You need to bring your doctrine in line with Scripture and stop selling Scripture short, stop adding to the Scripture.

The true, biblical Church is founded upon Christ and is populated with Jews.
At the destruction of the Jewish Temple by Gentiles Christ halted building His Church.
Very soon God will remove Israel's blindness, send His two witnesses/prophets and again Jews will become saved and born-again, and the Church will again be populated by Jews as prophesied in Scripture.
Tongues is not the only gift God blessed His Church with. There are also pounds and talents and fruits. And even these are not the only gifts of the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
You have much to learn. Your Pentecostal theology is in error just as that movement is in error in their teaching that if one does not speak in tongues that person is not saved.
But Gentile have wreaked havoc on the Scripture for the last 1900 years.
When the two prophets arrive, they will clear up a lot of Gentile heresy and in their hatred and jealousy will join all the nations God brings against His covenant people Israel and God will destroy the nations and the Gentiles that live in those nations.
From there God will sit upon the throne of David located in Jerusalem, Israel, and God will give Israel their promised land and cleanse all Gentiles from that land as prophesied in Zechariah.
Gentiles will live in the "four corners of the earth" and when the thousand years expire Satan will be loosed from his prison and AGAIN deceive those nations (Gentiles) but fire from heaven comes down from heaven and consume them all and the Jews will be the only people standing.
You need to bring your doctrine in line with Scripture and stop selling Scripture short, stop adding to the Scripture.
How does what you write address the point made

BTW when you state

You have not correctly identified my theology

I do not believe you must speak in tongues to be saved

You have assumed that in ignorance

Back
Top Bottom