Did David cheat versus Goliath?!

I had this thought the other day really for the first time.

It seems to me, it is assumed in the fight that it would be hand to hand combat.

Yet David used a projectile weapon that can kill from a distance, like a bow and arrow.

One might point out Goliath had a (single) spear, but these are also used in melee.

So isn't that really cheating?
Indeed, slings are extremely effective against infantry, so David had an extreme advantage in this. It is also likely that Goliath had giantism, could not see well, and needed help moving in his armor, so he was all boast, and likely did not expect his challenge to be met, though his challenge did not specify which weapons could be used, so while David likely did what was unexpected, he was not cheating.

David definitely did not cheat as a rock and a sling was a common weapon in battle at that time in history.

Uzziah prepared for all the army shields, spears, helmets, coats of mail, bows, and stones to sling. 2 Chronicles 26:14

One thing that David had that made cheating unnecessary was he had courage.

The real meaning of the story of David and Goliath is what Christ accomplished for us in our salvation, as God’s anointed but veiled king, a mediator who delivers God’s people through individual mortal combat with our greatest enemy. He defeated sin and death. We could never do that on his own. So we are moved From our own effort to worship and faith in Christ our champion!

Last edited:
David definitely did not cheat as a rock and a sling was a common weapon in battle at that time in history.

Uzziah prepared for all the army shields, spears, helmets, coats of mail, bows, and stones to sling. 2 Chronicles 26:14

One thing that David had that made cheating unnecessary was he had courage.
Interesting points. I wouldn't say though it was because David was an excellent stone thrower by much practice that caused the giant to fall. Probably did though throw stones out at beasts who were seeking to hurt his sheep before this time. I do think it was by the power and grace of God that took over that's stone's trajectory that made sure Goliath was brought down. David even acknowledged the same.

The story has been used and I think for good reason as a type of believers in God who need to trust in God with courage to bring down their giants of life, giants in the metaphoric way of speaking.

I had this thought the other day really for the first time.

It seems to me, it is assumed in the fight that it would be hand to hand combat.

Yet David used a projectile weapon that can kill from a distance, like a bow and arrow.

One might point out Goliath had a (single) spear, but these are also used in melee.

So isn't that really cheating?
I think it's great they were able to discuss this kind of stuff. To be able to go to the Bible and to learn what really took place. To me the moral of the story is David was the rightful King and Saul was unworthy.

My opinion is no way was was David cheating. He turned down the armor, sword and shield for a slingshot. Had not David hit Goliath right between the eyes it definitely wouldn't have been deadly especially considering the fact that Goliath had armor on and he was a warrior compared to David being a shepherd boy.

Here's the description of Goliath from 1 Samuel 17.

4. A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. His height was six cubits and a span. 5. He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels[b]; 6. on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. 7. His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him.

Here is the description of the challenge, no mention of what weapons were to be used.

8. Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9. If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” 10. Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.”

Goliath was upset because they didn't send out a man for him to fight.

So how could David possibly be cheating?

I think it's great they were able to discuss this kind of stuff. To be able to go to the Bible and to learn what really took place. To me the moral of the story is David was the rightful King and Saul was unworthy.

My opinion is no way was was David cheating. He turned down the armor, sword and shield for a slingshot. Had not David hit Goliath right between the eyes it definitely wouldn't have been deadly especially considering the fact that Goliath had armor on and he was a warrior compared to David being a shepherd boy.

Here's the description of Goliath from 1 Samuel 17.

4. A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. His height was six cubits and a span. 5. He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels[b]; 6. on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. 7. His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him.

Here is the description of the challenge, no mention of what weapons were to be used.

8. Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9. If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” 10. Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.”

Goliath was upset because they didn't send out a man for him to fight.

So how could David possibly be cheating?
its commonplace for those who lose to call winners cheaters rofl................ He won fair and square as they say. :)

The Bible says that David RAN towards the giant! He should have known something was up. 1 Sam 14: 48
Okay now I get it he used the oldest trick in the book... he distracted him. But you know that's properly partially true as Goliath never expected young David to take him out with one shot. But I still wouldn't refer to that as cheating that's more like strategy.

Okay now I get it he used the oldest trick in the book... he distracted him. But you know that's properly partially true as Goliath never expected young David to take him out with one shot. But I still wouldn't refer to that as cheating that's more like strategy.
I tend to think he wasn't playing any tricks. He knew God was on his side and acted boldly and went after him. :)

Even in war a secular man knows there is still morality and ethics, it does not justify all things:
God’s command to Saul to destroy Amalek including “both man and woman, child and infant” (1 Samuel 15:3), and throughout Deuteronomy God commands the people to destroy the people in the lands they will be invading (Deuteronomy 2:34; 3:6; 20:16-18). God says to Joshua, "Go in and clean house, and don't leave anything breathing! Don't leave a donkey, child, woman, old man or old woman breathing. Wipe out Jericho.

hope this helps !!!

God’s command to Saul to destroy Amalek including “both man and woman, child and infant” (1 Samuel 15:3), and throughout Deuteronomy God commands the people to destroy the people in the lands they will be invading (Deuteronomy 2:34; 3:6; 20:16-18). God says to Joshua, "Go in and clean house, and don't leave anything breathing! Don't leave a donkey, child, woman, old man or old woman breathing. Wipe out Jericho.

hope this helps !!!

A very good full study on this issue years ago I found this site Christian Think Tank.​

How could a God of Love order the massacre/annihilation of the Canaanites?​

Indeed, slings are extremely effective against infantry, so David had an extreme advantage in this. It is also likely that Goliath had giantism, could not see well, and needed help moving in his armor, so he was all boast, and likely did not expect his challenge to be met, though his challenge did not specify which weapons could be used, so while David likely did what was unexpected, he was not cheating.
I don't know. I think I'll just stay with the feeling and thought the scripture leaves us with. Goliath was a giant of a man, equipped for warfare and was good at it. Sorry but it almost seems laughable what you're suggesting. He couldn't see well and needed help moving his armor and I know he had a shield bearer but come on. :)

You kind of made it seem like we should feel sorry for the antagonist and that David was the bad guy. And how dumb would have been all the nation of Israel who wouldn't go out to meet him.....wouldn't they have known he couldn't see well seeing him stumbling around out there?

I don't know. I think I'll just stay with the feeling and thought the scripture leaves us with. Goliath was a giant of a man, equipped for warfare and was good at it. Sorry but it almost seems laughable what you're suggesting. He couldn't see well and needed help moving his armor and I know he had a shield bearer but come on. :)

You kind of made it seem like we should feel sorry for the antagonist and that David was the bad guy. And how dumb would have been all the nation of Israel who wouldn't go out to meet him.....wouldn't they have known he couldn't see well seeing him stumbling around out there?

1 Samuel 17:43 He said to David, “Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?” And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.

David did not come at him with sticks, so the above verse suggests that Goliath had poor vision. People with giantism can have weak muscles and other psychological problems. I was not saying that to suggest that we should feel sorry for Goliath, but to emphasize what can be the reality behind what we see as insurmountable challenges that we can be too scared to face.

1 Samuel 17:43 He said to David, “Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?” And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.

David did not come at him with sticks, so the above verse suggests that Goliath had poor vision. People with giantism can have weak muscles and other psychological problems. I was not saying that to suggest that we should feel sorry for Goliath, but to emphasize what can be the reality behind what we see as insurmountable challenges that we can be too scared to face.
Wasn't David a shepherd boy with a staff ? Wouldn't David have his staff ( stick ) with him ? Maybe his small sling was hidden from him.

Back
Top Bottom