Canonicity

praise_yeshua

I remember one of the first internet forums that I really actively participated in. The "Net Bible" was being translated at the time and bible.org was much different than it is today. Most of my internet experience debating theology took place in yahoo groups and yahoo chat till that point. Not that it was my first forum experience. Bulletin Boards were around in 90s but most people did not embrace the internet until windows 95 came along.

I was privileged to extensively debate the Biblical canon with the members of bible.org. In fact, I believe it was some of those debates that actually lead them to shutdown their forum. Bible.org had so much rich content during those years. Most of it has long been removed. It really was sad and I have long missed some of the participants. I realized long ago that the subject of the "Biblical Canon" is often the weakest subject found in any individual's theology. I hope to try and change that with this thread.... :)

I'd like to ask everyone a few questions.

1. What does "Inspiration" mean to you?
2. How do you apply "Inspiration?
3. Do you adhere to the Protestant Canon, Catholic Canon, or do you have your own?

I believe these three questions will help to begin the conversation on what you consider "canonical".

I will provide short answers to these questions below.

1. Inspiration is the process by which God imparted His words to the human writers that originally wrote various manuscripts that survive today. I'm limiting this conversation to extant witnesses. I believe Enoch is generally considered to be the first prophet to have recorded/written words that he preached/declared. Though today, the "book" of Enoch is fractured and corrupt in many places and can not be completely trusted. Nevertheless, Jude appeals to words from Enoch as being Scripture. "Inspiration" literally can be seen as "God breathed". Meaning, that these authors did not record their own words, but words directly from God. Which establishes doctrines such Inerrancy.

I will clearly state that all canons contain words from various sources. Words from the authors of various manuscripts, words from translators/editors, and "Thus saith the Lord". It is vitally important that we recognize the differences.

2. We apply "Inspiration" only to the words that fall within the category of "Thus saith the Lord".

3. I have my own list of canonical books. I believe this subject is important enough to not allow other men to define that list for me. I put forth extensive effort to know the subject so as to accurately defend my list.

I look forward to the conversation. Thanks

1. What does "Inspiration" mean to you?
2. How do you apply "Inspiration?
3. Do you adhere to the Protestant Canon, Catholic Canon, or do you have your own?

Good post I was thinking of posting something similar.

1. Very, very nuanced and complicated to describe for me. Probably doesn't quite parallel a lot of ideas out there.

I think inspiration means God has put a supernatural quality to a certain set of Words such that he uses them in distinctly powerful way.

I do NOT think inspiration means complete literal factual accuracy or 100% comprehension and ability to immediately utilize all truth.

I do NOT think inspiration means EVERY work referenced by the inspired texts make those also inspired in some kind of inspiration chain.

2. I apply it to giving special importance to the reading, memorization and study of what I consider inspired.

One important consideration to my above view of inspiration is, less of an intellectual and mental view of Scripture.

You do not have to fully understand the Bible for it to do something for you; it's words will supernaturally change and empower you.

However, just because words are inspired does not automatically mean they are always interpreted correctly, and that becomes very tricky.

3. At one point, I considered I have to somehow verify any canon for myself.

I started looking at apocryphal books with a skeptical view, as I was taught they were inherently bad juju.

I was surprised at what I found—some books were even more demonic than I thought, and yet some books actually seemed okay.

But none had the same settled feeling of stability and presence that I found on the canon of the original 66.

4. It is difficult to separate the concept of inspiration from the concept of interpretation.

I don't think mental studies alone can lead us to the truth of what God wants to communicate to us.

I found myself eventually becoming Sola Spiritus—without the Holy Spirit we can not "exegete" our way to the truth through study.

Some object this makes the truth too fickle and arbitrary and hard to verify for others, but honestly, we all have to depend directly on God.

This is a great thread, made me realize I don't know much about it. I've always just believed that the Bible we have today was God's inspired word. And never went much deeper than that. So I too am looking forward to the discussions that hopefully will take place here.

This is a great thread, made me realize I don't know much about it. I've always just believed that the Bible we have today was God's inspired word. And never went much deeper than that. So I too am looking forward to the discussions that hopefully will take place here.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I've heard the word before but if you ask me what it meant...I don't have a clue. So yes this should be a good learning experience for both of us. I did do a little research and found this. I've noticed got? get quoted here quite a bit and it seems to have some good information.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I've heard the word before but if you ask me what it meant...I don't have a clue. So yes this should be a good learning experience for both of us. I did do a little research and found this. I've noticed got? get quoted here quite a bit and it seems to have some good information.

There are some inconsistencies and "word parsing" in that article. I will expand that thought later. Thank you for participating. I enjoy this subject.

4. It is difficult to separate the concept of inspiration from the concept of interpretation.

I don't think mental studies alone can lead us to the truth of what God wants to communicate to us.

I found myself eventually becoming Sola Spiritus—without the Holy Spirit we can not "exegete" our way to the truth through study.

Some object this makes the truth too fickle and arbitrary and hard to verify for others, but honestly, we all have to depend directly on God.

Thank you. I look forward to our conversation. I wanted to respond to this while I had it "on my mind".

While I am sympathetic to your view above, I have grown hesitant to believe that I can actually always know when God is leading me. I find this to be one of the most difficult tasks in our lives. Knowing exactly how to seperate myself from the conversation. Knowing myself enough to realize my tendencies, I try never to "blame" God for my position. (Not saying you are. Just sharing my thought process). God is always right. Me..... I'm often wrong. Which is why I enjoy open discussions. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Which is why I enjoy open discussions. I hope this makes sense.

Oh, any of us can make a mistake. I've made a million mistakes.

But "cursed is the man who trusts in man."

Ultimately, as I perseverre with a willingness to keep starting over or humbling myself, I know God will eventually get me there.

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord."

Back
Top Bottom