Acts 10 does not support calvinism

civic

Acts 10:1- At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.

Notice the unregenerate Cornelius was called devout, God-fearing, prayed regularly and Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. He is a righteous and God-fearing man etc.........

The above mentioned things go against the calvinists doctrines of total depravity and regeneration.

Acts 10:1- At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.
Yeah Calvinism fails on so many fronts. Notice what Peter actually told the brethren later in Acts 11:13,14

And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; 14Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

S
o in the time of Acts 10:1 he had not heard the words of salvation yet so that he could be saved. And yet, AND YET he was devout and God fearing. So he wanted God for we could say a long period of time plus also all of his family but Calvinists say you can't truly want God unless you're regenerated.

Yeah Calvinism fails on so many fronts. Notice what Peter actually told the brethren later in Acts 11:13,14

And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; 14Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

S
o in the time of Acts 10:1 he had not heard the words of salvation yet so that he could be saved. And yet, AND YET he was devout and God fearing. So he wanted God for we could say a long period of time plus also all of his family but Calvinists say you can't truly want God unless you're regenerated.
Amen if people would just read and believe what the text actually says then is would make understanding the bible so much easier.

Notice the unregenerate Cornelius was called devout, God-fearing, prayed regularly and Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. He is a righteous and God-fearing man etc.........

The above mentioned things go against the calvinists doctrines of total depravity and regeneration.
And in acts 7 :51 grace is clearly resistible!

Calvinism is pure invention.
Even calvin admitted none of the early fathers were Calvinist, indeed he was contemptuous of all of them DESPITE the fact they were sent romans 10:14. Calvin was not sent.. He’s was like many academics - his arrogance exceeded his ability.
Empty vessels etc!

And in acts 7 :51 grace is clearly resistible!

Calvinism is pure invention.
Even calvin admitted none of the early fathers were Calvinist, indeed he was contemptuous of all of them DESPITE the fact they were sent romans 10:14. Calvin was not sent.. He’s was like many academics - his arrogance exceeded his ability.
Empty vessels etc!
Exactly 👍

. Calvin was not sent.. He’s was like many academics - his arrogance exceeded his ability.
I won't give opinion on whether that was true or not but I will say this.....when people of that day had so much clout of physical, political power where people were afraid to say things contrary to him you have the perfect set up for major false ways of thinking to become clamped down upon a people. I think he or others would be shocked to see that today he'd never get away with the claims he'd make without being challenged.

I won't give opinion on whether that was true or not but I will say this.....when people of that day had so much clout of physical, political power where people were afraid to say things contrary to him you have the perfect set up for major false ways of thinking to become clamped down upon a people. I think he or others would be shocked to see that today he'd never get away with the claims he'd make without being challenged.
It’s Just my experience of attending academic conferences across a variety of subject areas of professional interest. Most presenters are there to advance the state of knowledge, but in all of these groups there are a few crusty old profsessors , who are still dining out on what they did decades before who then develop the great “ I am “ and think their reputation means they know better than all before and since and think they are entitled to use question time to express it! It is certainly not pleasant. It’s geberally the quiet and unobtrusive presenters who give the most valuable presentations, and who are most respectful of contributions of others. Empty vessels!

As demonstration of this with Calvin he said..
“Further, even though the Greeks above the rest—and Chrysostom especially among them—extol the ability of the human will, yet all the ancients save Augustine so differ, waver, or speak confusedly on this subject, that almost nothing can be derived from their writings.” .

Even Augustine didn’t agree, only by twisting his words could calvin claim it.
Yet all of them agree on free will!

Calvin had to denigrate them as a platform for him to replace with his own views.
He argued with all of them, including prolonged arguments with local protestant authorities , because he knew better! So he claimed .

Last edited:

Where can I learn about why folks keep mentioning the Calvinist doctrine?

Calvin is just a name to go Boo at. The man expounded on Sovereign Grace and wrote a thesis on it. If you didn't notice, the Centurion was seeking God, which couldn't happen unless God called him. But Connelius is a special, really special Person to save, because he was a Roman. I really hate to teach bible stuff, but Acts chapters 8,9, and 10 deal with the lives of 3 people, not 10. 20, but 3 persons. The Ethiopian, Saul, and Connelius. 3 chapters and 3 people. Are you curious? Noah had 3 sons Shem, Ham, and Japeth. Shem lineage is the Jews, Ham's lineage is Ethiopian, and you guess it, Japeth 's lineage is Rome. God chose 3 descendants from Noah 3 sons to spread the Gospel to the world.

If you didn't notice, the Centurion was seeking God, which couldn't happen unless God called him.
Acts17:24“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ b As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

God built seeking him into the DNA of mankind. We all have an internal desire for God, (though sin seeks to put anything but God as the object of that desire) which is why “religion” has always been a part of human life and culture. There is no need of God doing something for us to seek him, us seeking him was the reason for all that he has done since creation.

Yes, God makes all the first moves and we only respond to what he has done, but creating us with the innate desire for him is one of those first moves.

Doug

Acts17:24“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ b As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

God built seeking him into the DNA of mankind. We all have an internal desire for God, (though sin seeks to put anything but God as the object of that desire) which is why “religion” has always been a part of human life and culture. There is no need of God doing something for us to seek him, us seeking him was the reason for all that he has done since creation.

Yes, God makes all the first moves and we only respond to what he has done, but creating us with the innate desire for him is one of those first moves.

Doug
There are many who run away from God too. They love this world too much to submit to God's calling. I've heard many testimonies about this. The fact is many will join a cult before joining a church. Many more seek God and join a "Works" church and never become a Christian because their heart was never right. There are many born again Christians who will not make Jesus the Lord of their lives and still love their checkbook instead.

There are many who run away from God too. They love this world too much to submit to God's calling. I've heard many testimonies about this. The fact is many will join a cult before joining a church. Many more seek God and join a "Works" church and never become a Christian because their heart was never right. There are many born again Christians who will not make Jesus the Lord of their lives and still love their checkbook instead.
Calling Jesus Lord and being His disciple is the beginning point. I started a thread on the topic below :

There is a good reason Jesus taught man to consider “ counting the cost” before making any decision to “ follow “ Him as a disciple. Discipleship is costly and it’s the beginning point as per the Great Commission in Matt 28:18-20.

Indeed, I was one of those for many years. But I knew that I needed God in my life, but wasn’t willing to ‘go all in’; I wanted to avoid hell, but didn’t want to give up running my own life or stop doing the things I loved doing.

Doug

Who said he was unregenerate?

Back
Top Bottom