The Water Baptism of Cornelius

I did-you reject Paul and probably the whole New Testament.
Probably? Don't know for sure? By merely bringing out that Saul changed a word in the original prophecy by Isaiah to suit whatever purpose he had in mind - doing that on the face of it is manipulating the Scripture and not being honest - and from that you say I reject the whole New Covenant writings? That's a looooooooooooooooong stretch. Prove it.
In connection with that mystery among the Gentiles, in Colossians 1:27, note in the preceding verses that Paul was in prison because a dispensation of God had been given to him for Gentiles. His God-given, Christ-revealed duty was to fill up. To fill up, what?

First—note Colossians 1:24:

“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and to fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His Body’s sake, which is the Church.”

Second—note Colossians 1:25 and 26:

“Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, TO FULFILL THE WORD OF GOD; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints.”
And the saints are identified as Israel as he was writing to Jewish Christians in all his letters.

22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom. Danny 7:22.

Israel are the saints. They have covenant with God and the command is "be ye (Israel) holy for I am holy." Israel possessed a kingdom under Saul and David and Solomon, then split into twi kingdoms and later will have their kingdom again with Christ ruling.

15 Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of his saints (again Israel.) Ps 116:15.

Speaking to Israel: "O fear the LORD, ye his saints" Ps 34:9.
Again note Ephesians 1:4 and 5 and 1:11—“According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love; having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.” “In Whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will.” What God purposed in eternity before the world began was indeed God’s Secret from before the foundation of the world. It was according to the good pleasure of God’s will which He purposed in Himself, and in Christ Jesus, that members of the Body of Christ were chosen in Christ before the world began, and were predestinated to be conformed to the image of God’s Son and to be children in God’s family. Read Romans 8:29 and 30—“Foreknow”, “Predestinate”, “Called”, “Justified”, “Glorified.”
Again, writing to Jewish Christians at Ephesus, and Rome, and everywhere born-again Jews took Jesus under the power of the Holy Spirit when they went back to their homes and synagogues after Pentecost and founded home churches because the Jews stumbled at their Messiah hanging on a tree.
What a glorious privilege to live under the present reign of grace, if we are the recipients of that over-abounding grace of “the God of all grace”.
Living under grace is one thing but Gentiles at every turn trying to steal another people's inheritance is another. It's a Jewish Covenant with a Jewish Messiah. Salvation is of the Jews, not the Gentiles.
If the Lord Jesus Christ commanded John the Baptist, the Seventy whom He sent out (Luke 10:1), or the Twelve, either before or after His death, to proclaim the same gospel that he committed unto Paul, why did Paul call this particular message MY gospel?
For the same reason I have been given "MY gospel" by God. Of the gospel given to Hannah, or the gospel given to Mary and Elizabeth. If Saul was told to preach Jesus lived, died, resurrect, then that is his "good news" from God to speak. I know of a man whom God gave him to say "to the Jew first and also to the Greek" as part of the message God gave to him to speak. I know a man who was given only two words to speak "God restores!" and he obeys His Lord. I have been given a message also and I give it. Ther's nothing wrong with any of these examples. Each has a function and message, but not everyone knows their command function from God nor what to speak as part of their service to their king. But God gets His message out to those He's given authority to speak. Everyone else believes the fallacy they have to go out and preach the "gospel" God gave to Saul and in effect are disobedient to their Lord. And I won't get into the reasons why Christians fail God in this respect. Basically, ignorance and disobedience are the hindrance to these Christians. They don't let others speak their God-given message and don't know what they are supposed to do for God. So, they get in the way.
In Galatians 1:11 and 12 we learn how and from Whom Paul received his gospel: “the gospel which was preached of me is not after man: For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
Yes, and I receive the same revelation from God but a different message and function.
THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM
“And Jesus went about all their cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM, and healing every sickness, and every disease among the people.” Matthew 9:35.
Yes, Jesus spoke the good news of His kingdom to a people awaiting their Messiah, Redeemer, and King.
When Paul wrote that he was suffering as an evil doer for “MY gospel”, he also wrote that he was in the Roman prison for “THE MYSTERY OF THE GOSPEL.” Ephesians 6:19 and 20 and Colossians 4:3 and 4. II Timothy 2:8 and 9.
Yes, and the same goes for me, too. That's how we get into the kingdom of God, not the kingdom of heaven.
The “MYSTERY OF THE GOSPEL” belongs to an entirely different Divine dispensation than does “THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM” and the preacher who proclaims to the Gentile, during this present reign of grace, the gospel of the kingdom for his salvation, is not only ignorant of God’s purpose for this age, but he is guilty, in God’s sight, of a spiritual crime. “There be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.” Galatians 1:7.
The two Jewish witnesses in Revelation 11 will also speak a message to Israel while Gentiles overhear, and they won't like what they will say and eventually kill them.
Please do not misrepresent us and say that we teach that nothing in the so-called Four Gospels is for sinners and saints of this age. We say dogmatically that the gospel of the kingdom is not the same as the gospel of the grace of God, which Christ, by special revelation, gave to Paul. Acts 20:24. Moreover we state emphatically that we must intelligently study Matthew, Mark and Luke in the light of Paul’s “MY GOSPEL”, if we would intelligently interpret, appropriate and apply the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth during this present reign of grace.
Yes, many good news about this "so-great salvation." The gospels were written to the Jews about their Jewish Messiah so that they may believe. That's what John says at the end of his good news.
While it is true that no sinner, Jew or Gentile, in any dispensation, was ever saved on any other grounds than the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, it is also true that any man who declares there is only one gospel in the Bible is much mistaken.
Paul was not a prisoner in the Roman jail for preaching that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. He was in jail for preaching “the mystery of the gospel.”
That's what the "mystery of the good news" was about. It was about His shed blood for His bride and Church Israel. The covenants and prophecies hold the mystery unknown at the time. Just as the mystery of all prophecies are "sealed until the time" when God opens eyes and His people begin to see what He's said all this time.
The very same Paul whom you reject @jeremiah1five
Tell me, how many church fathers when compiling the canon didn't want Saul included?
Do you know?
What would be happening if right now Christian leaders were compiling the canon? Same as what happen then.
By the way, I don't reject Saul. Only what he did is susceptible changing Isaiah's word and substituting it for his own and changing the meaning which is dishonest.

By the way, I don't reject Saul. Only what he did is susceptible changing Isaiah's word and substituting it for his own and changing the meaning which is dishonest.
You and I have nothing to discuss-pointless.

2Pe 1:21 For no nevu'ah was at any time brought by the ratzon HaBnei Adam (will of Man), but men being carried along by the Ruach Hakodesh spoke from Hashem.

the prophecy: Luk_1:70; 2Ti_3:16; 1Pe_1:11
in old time: or, at any time holy, Deu_33:1; Jos_14:6; 1Ki_13:1, 1Ki_17:18, 1Ki_17:24; 2Ki_4:7, 2Ki_4:9, 2Ki_4:22, 2Ki_6:10, 2Ki_6:15; 1Ch_23:14; 2Ch_8:14
spake: Num_16:28; 2Sa_23:2; Mic_3:7; Luk_1:70; 2Ti_3:15-17; 1Pe_1:11; Rev_19:10
by the Holy: Mar_12:36; Act_1:16, Act_3:18, Act_28:25; Heb_3:7, Heb_9:8, Heb_10:15

Shalom

The assumption made is that those who are already saved can be the only ones to have the Holy Spirit come upon them.

The truth is to be saved we must be born again of the SPIRIT. It is at the same time so which came first the chicken or the egg. The chicken with eggs inside!

There are many attempts made to get around the necessity of water baptism in the salvation of man. One such attempt I will deal here briefly is with Cornelius. The claim is made that since the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius, that is supposed proof he was already saved BEFORE he was water baptized.

The assumption made is that those who are already saved can be the only ones to have the Holy Spirit come upon them.

Yet this assumption is easily refuted for we find in the Bible examples of those not saved yet filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, King Saul being one.

"For instance, in the book of 1 Samuel, we learn about the first king of Israel—King Saul. When he was chosen, Saul was the ideal candidate to be king. And yet because of a series of poor decisions that resulted in disobedience to God’s commands, he was rejected by God. In 1 Samual 16:14, the text explains that “the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul.” Due to Saul’s hardened, disobedient heart, he began to chase David in an attempt to kill him.

Saul’s debased mind even led him to bring about the death of an entire city of the Lord’s priests. On one occasion, as he was chasing David, he heard that David was with Samuel in the city of Ramah. Saul sent messengers to capture David, but when they arrived, “the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul, and they prophesied. And when Saul was told, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. Then Saul sent messengers a third time, and they prophesied also” (1 Samuel 19:20-21). Notice that the fact that the Holy Spirit came upon the messengers was not an indication of their being saved, but instead was a miraculous intervention on God’s behalf to save David.

Finally, Saul himself went to Ramah in an attempt to capture and kill David. When he got there, “the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah” (1 Samuel 19:22-24). The miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit were a sign from God, but not one meant to indicate Saul’s salvation. Instead, it was a sign to show that God was with Samuel and was protecting David."

Source Publisher: Apologetics Press
Author: Kyle Butt

(Lastly a sidenote: 1 Sam 16:14 says the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul. If the Spirit falling upon Cornelius is 'proof' he was saved, then the Spirit departing from one must prove that salvation can also be lost. Correct?)
Nope

There are many attempts made to get around the necessity of water baptism in the salvation of man. One such attempt I will deal here briefly is with Cornelius. The claim is made that since the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius, that is supposed proof he was already saved BEFORE he was water baptized.
Which is true regardless. "Baptism" is what one does AFTER they're born again by FAITH. In MY case, I was Born Again, and infilled with the Holy Spirit on Wednesday night, and Baptized Sunday night, which changed NOTHING. I did see it as an obedient move.
Which is not true. Old Testamet folks had the Holy Spirit come upon them all the time, but they weren't saved / Born again. NOBODY WAS yet.
(Lastly a sidenote: 1 Sam 16:14 says the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul. If the Spirit falling upon Cornelius is 'proof' he was saved, then the Spirit departing from one must prove that salvation can also be lost. Correct?)
Nope. There a difference between the Holy SPirit IN a person (john 20:22), and the Holy SPirit ON a person (Acts 2:4).

PERSONALLY - I believe in the possibility of LOSING salvation, since there's warnings about it like Heb 6:4-6. My experience is that God sends "Wake up calls" (sometime pretty brutal ones) to get your attention before it's too late.

For the most part I agree, but there were times He could (Numbers 27:18; Ezekiel 2:2; 3:24).

That's great!

In the OT the only ones who received the Spirit on the inside were Prophets and Kings. Now we are not even saved if the Holy Spirit is not on the inside of us.

You and I have nothing to discuss-pointless.

2Pe 1:21 For no nevu'ah was at any time brought by the ratzon HaBnei Adam (will of Man), but men being carried along by the Ruach Hakodesh spoke from Hashem.

the prophecy: Luk_1:70; 2Ti_3:16; 1Pe_1:11
in old time: or, at any time holy, Deu_33:1; Jos_14:6; 1Ki_13:1, 1Ki_17:18, 1Ki_17:24; 2Ki_4:7, 2Ki_4:9, 2Ki_4:22, 2Ki_6:10, 2Ki_6:15; 1Ch_23:14; 2Ch_8:14
spake: Num_16:28; 2Sa_23:2; Mic_3:7; Luk_1:70; 2Ti_3:15-17; 1Pe_1:11; Rev_19:10
by the Holy: Mar_12:36; Act_1:16, Act_3:18, Act_28:25; Heb_3:7, Heb_9:8, Heb_10:15

Shalom
Giving a pass to error is erroneous. When I seek truth, I find it and I don't ignore it.
Saul changed the word "return" in Isaiah 10:22 and changed it to "saved" thereby changing the Scripture and manipulating the Word of God to suit his own ends. Cults do the same thing. The evidence is there in black and white.

Some of the church fathers didn't even want Saul/Paul's writing to be in the canon and I think in some places I'm beginning to know why. He wasn't consistent. He manipulated Isaiah's prophecy and no inspired of God would do such a thing. And another thing, the Spirit of Truth will not and cannot bless the spirit of error. I presume Saul/Paul may not have been inspired by God to change the Word of God. It flies in the face of all that is called God.

Giving a pass to error is erroneous. When I seek truth, I find it and I don't ignore it.
Saul changed the word "return" in Isaiah 10:22 and changed it to "saved" thereby changing the Scripture and manipulating the Word of God to suit his own ends. Cults do the same thing. The evidence is there in black and white.

Some of the church fathers didn't even want Saul/Paul's writing to be in the canon and I think in some places I'm beginning to know why. He wasn't consistent. He manipulated Isaiah's prophecy and no inspired of God would do such a thing. And another thing, the Spirit of Truth will not and cannot bless the spirit of error. I presume Saul/Paul may not have been inspired by God to change the Word of God. It flies in the face of all that is called God.
Isa 10:22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
Rom 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
Rom 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

Rom 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Rom 9:27 and Isaiah cries out over Israel, saying, Though [should be the number of the sons of Israel] as the sand of the sea, the vestige shall be preserved,)

We have cited simply the basic meaning of shub but as we shall see the verb branches into not a few different nuances. It is the twelfth most frequently used verb in the OT, appearing just over 1050 times. With very few exceptions shub is restricted to the Qal and Hiphil stems. It appears most often in Jeremiah (111 times) followed by Psalms (seventy-one times), Genesis (sixty-eight times), Ezekiel (sixty-two times), 1Kings (sixty-two times), 2Chronicies (sixty-one times), 2Kings (fifty-five times), Isaiah (fifty-one times).

The Bible is rich in idioms describing man's responsibility in the process of repentance. Such phrases would include the following: "incline your heart unto the Lord your God" (Jos_24:23) ; "circumcise yourselves to the Lord" (Jer_4:4); "wash your heart from wickedness" (Jer_4:14); "break up your fallow ground" (Hos_10:12) and so forth. All these expressions of man's penitential activity, however, are subsumed and summarized by this one verb shub. For better than any other verb it combines in itself the two requisites of repentance: to turn from evil and to turn to the good.

In the Qal stem it has been suggested that there are ten different meanings for shub with subdivisions within each, plus a few uses difficult to pinpoint (Holladay, p. 59ff). Of these two or three merit special observance. To begin with, the basic meaning of shub "to (re)tum" implying physical motion or movement appears over 270 times. A few times God is the subject, "At the appointed time I will return to you (Sarah)," (Gen_18:14). Most often the subject is a person: "I (Abraham) and the lad (Isa ac) will go yonder and worship, and return to you" (Gen_22:5). In the Hiphil there are eighty-seven occurrences of shub in the sense of "bring back, carry back."

What's the problem?

Last edited:
I see.
I suppose he was also a prophet as Moses was (Deuteronomy 34:9).
I think he had prophetic knowledge at Jericho don't you? Prophecy is determined by hearing God's voice and what He says. Is it prophetic or just teaching or wisdom. But even I have that gift, but I'm not a "Prophet." When God spoke to me in the desert of Arizona, He said He was giving me the office of Teacher. He's never said He was also giving me the office of Prophet, just the gift of prophecy.

BTW, great verse!

Last edited:
Isa 10:22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
Rom 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
Rom 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

Rom 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Rom 9:27 and Isaiah cries out over Israel, saying, Though [should be the number of the sons of Israel] as the sand of the sea, the vestige shall be preserved,)

We have cited simply the basic meaning of shub but as we shall see the verb branches into not a few different nuances. It is the twelfth most frequently used verb in the OT, appearing just over 1050 times. With very few exceptions shub is restricted to the Qal and Hiphil stems. It appears most often in Jeremiah (111 times) followed by Psalms (seventy-one times), Genesis (sixty-eight times), Ezekiel (sixty-two times), 1Kings (sixty-two times), 2Chronicies (sixty-one times), 2Kings (fifty-five times), Isaiah (fifty-one times).

The Bible is rich in idioms describing man's responsibility in the process of repentance. Such phrases would include the following: "incline your heart unto the Lord your God" (Jos_24:23) ; "circumcise yourselves to the Lord" (Jer_4:4); "wash your heart from wickedness" (Jer_4:14); "break up your fallow ground" (Hos_10:12) and so forth. All these expressions of man's penitential activity, however, are subsumed and summarized by this one verb shub. For better than any other verb it combines in itself the two requisites of repentance: to turn from evil and to turn to the good.

In the Qal stem it has been suggested that there are ten different meanings for shub with subdivisions within each, plus a few uses difficult to pinpoint (Holladay, p. 59ff). Of these two or three merit special observance. To begin with, the basic meaning of shub "to (re)tum" implying physical motion or movement appears over 270 times. A few times God is the subject, "At the appointed time I will return to you (Sarah)," (Gen_18:14). Most often the subject is a person: "I (Abraham) and the lad (Isa ac) will go yonder and worship, and return to you" (Gen_22:5). In the Hiphil there are eighty-seven occurrences of shub in the sense of "bring back, carry back."

What's the problem?
You don't see a problem?

22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea; Yet a remnant of them shall return:
Isaiah 10:22.

Isaiah says nothing about being saved only that a remnant shall return (back to their land.)

And Saul:

27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: Rom. 9:27.

'Nuff said.

Which is true regardless. "Baptism" is what one does AFTER they're born again by FAITH. In MY case, I was Born Again, and infilled with the Holy Spirit on Wednesday night, and Baptized Sunday night, which changed NOTHING. I did see it as an obedient move.

Which is not true. Old Testamet folks had the Holy Spirit come upon them all the time, but they weren't saved / Born again. NOBODY WAS yet.

Nope. There a difference between the Holy SPirit IN a person (john 20:22), and the Holy SPirit ON a person (Acts 2:4).

PERSONALLY - I believe in the possibility of LOSING salvation, since there's warnings about it like Heb 6:4-6. My experience is that God sends "Wake up calls" (sometime pretty brutal ones) to get your attention before it's too late.
The new birth takes place when one is water baptism. For it is in water baptism that God takes away the body of sin (Col 2 ) and not BEFORE one is buried in baptism. The purpose of baptism is for the remission of sins, Acts 2:38, water baptism is the means by which Saul/Paul would have his sin washed away. Rom 6 one does NOT walk in newness of life BEFORE one has been buried and resurrected from that watery grave.

Jn 3:5-------born of water and of Spirit >>>>>>>>>>>> enter the kingsom
Mt 7:21 -----doeth the will of the Father >>>>>>>>>>> enter the kingdom

Since there is but one way to be saved/enter the kingdom, then there is a definite connecetion between being born of water and of Spirit and doing the will of God. God has commanded men to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48) and those who "doeth the will of the Father" in obediently submitting to water baptism are the only ones who are born again, only ones who have their sin all cleansed away to then walk in newness of life. The new birth therefore is NOT some subjective, emotional, mysterious experience that occurs UNconditionally, capriciously happening only to some people for some unknow reason. Being born again is an objective, known experince that CONDITIONALLY takes place upon doing the will of the Father is submitting to water baptism.

I've already addressed the context in Acts 10 and 11 that speak to HOW Cornelius would be saved and being baptized with the HS and speaking in tongues had nothing to with His personal salvation as not being baptized with the HS had nothing to do with the eunuch's personal salvation. Whether you want to use the word "on" or "in" does not change this.

God has commanded men to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48) and those who "doeth the will of the Father" in obediently submitting to water baptism are the only ones who are born again, only ones who have their sin all cleansed away to then walk in newness of life.

God has commanded men to not sin (1 Corinthians 15:34). Have you obeyed this command?

Doing the will of the Father is to believe in the Son (John 6:40).

Last edited:
You don't see a problem?

22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea; Yet a remnant of them shall return:
Isaiah 10:22.

Isaiah says nothing about being saved only that a remnant shall return (back to their land.)

And Saul:

27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: Rom. 9:27.

'Nuff said.
Rom 9:27 Yeshayah proclaims concerning Yisroel, "Even if the number of the Bnei Yisroel are as the sand of the sea, only the She'erit (Remnant) will return (be saved)-

Isa 10:22 For though thy people Yisroel be like the chol hayam, only a remnant of them shall return; destruction is decreed, overwhelming tzedakah.

Isa 10:22 ForH3588 Conj kî כִּ֣י thoughH518 Conj ’im- אִם־ beH1961 V-Qal-Imperf-3ms yih·yeh יִהְיֶ֞ה your peopleH5971 N-msc+2ms ‘am·mə·ḵā עַמְּךָ֤ IsraelH3478 N-proper-ms yiś·rā·’êl יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ as the sandH2344 Prep-k+N-msc kə·ḥō·wl כְּח֣וֹל of the sea,H3220 Art+N-ms hay·yām הַיָּ֔ם a remnantH7605 N-ms šə·’ār שְׁאָ֖ר will return;H7725 H8799 V-Qal-Imperf-3ms

LXX related word(s)
G2947 st. kulio
G4198 st. poreuo
G430 st. an echo
G305 ana baino
G344 ana kampto
G565 ap erchomai
G630 apo luo
G1257 dia leipo
G1459 eg kata leipo
G1653 eleeo
G1880 ep an erchomai
G1904 ep erchomai
G1914 epi blepo
G1995 epi strophe
G2043 ereido
G2064 erchomai
G2240 heko
G2597 kata baino
G3049 logizomai
G3328 meta ballo
G3346 meta tithemi
G3729 hormao
G3825 palin
G3854 par ginomai
G3973 pauo
G4334 pros erchomai
G4369 pros tithemi
G4982 sozo
G611 st. apo krino
G591 apo didomi
G2730 katoikizo
G471 st. ant eipon
G312 an aggello
G321 an ago
G399 an phero
G468 ant apo doma
G496 anti pipto
G518 ap aggello
G520 ap ago
G612 apo krisis
G649 apo stello
G659 apo tithemi
G1209 dechomai
G1259 di allasso
G1521 eis ago
G1533 eis phero
G1821 ex apo stello
G1911 epi ballo
G2018 epi phero
G2186 eph istemi
G2524 kath iemi
G2698 kata tithemi
G2967 koluo
G3340 meta noeo
G3825 palin
G4060 peri tithemi
G4317 pros ago
G4374 pros phero
G5021 tasso
G5342 phero
G5623 opheleo
G467 ant apo didomi
G114 atheteo
G635 apo planao
G3627 oikteiro
G4863 sun ago
G868 aph istemi
G1325 didomi
G1863 ep ago
G2525 kath istemi
G2664 kata pauo
G4762 strepho
G600 apo kath istemi
G1994 epi strepho
G654 apo strepho
G390 ana strepho
G5290 hupo strepho

“For though thy population, O Israel, should be as the sand of the sea, (only) a remnant in it shall turn (and be saved).” (Cf. Hos_1:10; Gen_22:17.)

The third important use of shub in the Qal, and theologically the most crucial, is in passages dealing with the covenant community's return to God (in the sense of repentance), or turning away from evil (in the sense of renouncing and disowning sin), or turning away from God (in the sense of becoming apostate).

In such contexts shub in the Qal is used 129 times. By contrast, in the Hiphil shub is used only eleven times when discussing the divine-human relationship. "turn back (Qal imperative) and 'let yourself be turned kom your idols' (Hiphil) from your idols" (Eze_14:6).

Taking all stems into consideration, Holladay (p. 117) concludes that there are a total of 164 uses of shub in a covenantal context. The majority of them, as one might expect, are to be found in the classical literary prophets 113 times, with Jeremiah leading the way (forty-eight times). By way of contrast with Jeremiah, the covenantal usage of shub is found only six times in the first thirty-nine chapters of Isaiah (maybe only five if we read Isa_30:15 not, " in returning (to God) and re rest shall you be saved," but "in sitting still yashab, i.e. abstention from foreign alliances, resting shall you be saved")

You want me to proceed?

Yup-"Nuff zed"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom