The Water Baptism of Cornelius

There is NOTHING in the context of Acts 10 or 11 that baptism with the HS was a necessary part of Cornwlius salvation, that idea is added by men.

That's because you refuse to look at or believe what the rest of the Bible teaches. Don't limit what God has declared and talked about further by your self-imposed limitation by man-made chapters and verses.

I disagree with your logic here, because Nicodemus is the one who turned it physical again, by describing crawling back into the womb.

So Jesus acknowledged he did not mean two physical births by adding another birth after the physical one.

If this is not what Jesus meant, it becomes even more confusing for Nicodemus, not less.
Nicodemus would understand the IMPOSSIBLITY of returning to his mother's womb and being physically born again as you and I do. Hence by his question he understood Christ was not talking about the physical birth yet he did not understand exactly what kind of birth Christ was talking about.....he should have though from OT prophesies about Christ, see Eze 36 nd Eze 18.

1) saved by words
Rom 1:16 the gospel (not baptism with the HS) is the power of God unto salvation. It was through Peter's preaching Cornelius received those saving words, not by being baptized with the HS. In Acts 8 the Spirit did not impart those saving words to the Eunuch Himself but sent for Phillip to teach him those saving words and water baptize him. Hence baptism with the HS had no role in the personal salvation of the eunuch nor Cornelius.

When the eunuch received the Spirit, it was at that point he was saved.
So too with Cornelius.

Likewise in Acts 10 you want the baptism with the HS as the means of Corenelius' salvation but not the accompanying tongues.

Since they spoke in tongues (Acts 10:46) proves they were in the church before their water baptism (1 Corinthians 12:28).

Your false doctrine just sank.

That's because you refuse to look at or believe what the rest of the Bible teaches. Don't limit what God has declared and talked about further by your self-imposed limitation by man-made chapters and verses.
You reject, ignore the necessity of water baptism in Acts 10 and try to make baptism with the HS the thing necessary to being saved.

Again, the context tells us HOW Cornelius would be saved
1) saved by words
2) work righteousness to be accepted with God
3) commanded to be baptized.

Again, NOTHING in the context in Acts 10 (or Acts 8 with the eunuch) makes baptism with the HS necessary to Cornelius' salvation, you import that idea into the text.

These 3 things were sufficient enough to save both Cornelius, the eunuch and all the other conversions in Acts. But you claim they are not sufficient and add the idea that baptism with the HS is also necessary.

Again, Cornelius would be saved by these 3 things (as was the eunuch) even if he was not baptized with the HS as the eunuch was not baptized by the HS. Yet if baptism with the HS and speaking in tongues is necessary and God does not baptize one with the HS then God has culpability for the lost.....yet He has no such culpability.
God gave Cornelius all he needed to be saved therefore Cornelious' salvation then was in his own control by doing as God instructed him, hence if Cornelius did not do as God said, his condemnation is his own culpability. Being baptized with the HS was something outside the the control of Cornelius and if baptism with the HS is necessary and God did not baptize Cornelius with the HS then Cornelius being lost is God's culpability.

This is why we do not ever find it said that baptism with the HS saves/remits sin, we never find anyone being commanded to be baptized with the HS for it is something that cannot be obey for its out of the control of man, we do not find that anyone today ever being promised baptism with the HS much less commanded this baptism.

Since they spoke in tongues (Acts 10:46) proves they were in the church before their water baptism (1 Corinthians 12:28).

Your false doctrine just sank.
Speaking in tongues or not speaking in tongues does not prove one is saved or not for speaking in tongues has nothing to do with our perosnal salvation. Not every Christian in the first century was given the gift of tongues, some had no gift at all.

You reject, ignore the necessity of water baptism in Acts 10 and try to make baptism with the HS the thing necessary to being saved.

Again, the context tells us HOW Cornelius would be saved
1) saved by words
2) work righteousness to be accepted with God
3) commanded to be baptized.

Again, NOTHING in the context in Acts 10 (or Acts 8 with the eunuch) makes baptism with the HS necessary to Cornelius' salvation, you import that idea into the text.

You close your eyes to what the rest of the Bible says.

Being baptized with the HS was something outside the the control of Cornelius and if baptism with the HS is necessary and God did not baptize Cornelius with the HS then Cornelius being lost is God's culpability.

Wow. You are very confused.

When Cornelius and all others who are Christians today believe the gospel they are baptized with the Holy Spirit which places them into the NT Church.

To receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:47) = To be baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16)
Since all who are Christians have received the Holy Spirit then all who are Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

There are many attempts made to get around the necessity of water baptism in the salvation of man. One such attempt I will deal here briefly is with Cornelius. The claim is made that since the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius, that is supposed proof he was already saved BEFORE he was water baptized.

The assumption made is that those who are already saved can be the only ones to have the Holy Spirit come upon them.

Yet this assumption is easily refuted for we find in the Bible examples of those not saved yet filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, King Saul being one.

"For instance, in the book of 1 Samuel, we learn about the first king of Israel—King Saul. When he was chosen, Saul was the ideal candidate to be king. And yet because of a series of poor decisions that resulted in disobedience to God’s commands, he was rejected by God. In 1 Samual 16:14, the text explains that “the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul.” Due to Saul’s hardened, disobedient heart, he began to chase David in an attempt to kill him.

Saul’s debased mind even led him to bring about the death of an entire city of the Lord’s priests. On one occasion, as he was chasing David, he heard that David was with Samuel in the city of Ramah. Saul sent messengers to capture David, but when they arrived, “the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul, and they prophesied. And when Saul was told, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. Then Saul sent messengers a third time, and they prophesied also” (1 Samuel 19:20-21). Notice that the fact that the Holy Spirit came upon the messengers was not an indication of their being saved, but instead was a miraculous intervention on God’s behalf to save David.

Finally, Saul himself went to Ramah in an attempt to capture and kill David. When he got there, “the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah” (1 Samuel 19:22-24). The miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit were a sign from God, but not one meant to indicate Saul’s salvation. Instead, it was a sign to show that God was with Samuel and was protecting David."

Source Publisher: Apologetics Press
Author: Kyle Butt

(Lastly a sidenote: 1 Sam 16:14 says the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul. If the Spirit falling upon Cornelius is 'proof' he was saved, then the Spirit departing from one must prove that salvation can also be lost. Correct?)
Incorect-o-mundo.

The Holy Spirit IS salvation as Jonah said, "Salvation is of the Lord."

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. Jn 1:4–5.

Since the Holy Spirit is life, He can only bring life once He indwells a person. He shined in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not. Completely void of understanding it and completely foreign when it shined. The result will always end in life. It's just who He is.

Concerning King Saul, he was in covenant and already saved (and/or destined to salvation at the last day.) The Holy Spirit's departure was necessary as His leaving stripped him of the authority to rule God's people. And, unlike the Catholic history of there at one time being three popes, there could not be the Holy Spirit with Saul and also with David who was already anointed to be king. Something had to give, and the Holy Spirit departed Saul in order to bring authority to David who was God's choice to be king.

The lesson that should be taken with regard to Cornelius was the fact he was a God-Fearer. For all intents and purposes, he was already an "Israelite" (being Gentile) except for the circumcision. He was one cut short of officially being a covenant person. Everybody in the house knew this. The lesson is that this close associate to Jewry who only needed to be circumcised (as well as give sacrifice, make vows, etc.), and yet the Holy Spirit of Promise (to Israel) saved him, and he received the promise and didn't have to commit to circumcision. This was an amazing thing in the minds of Peter and his Jewish buddies. It wasn't that God was saving Gentiles, for being a God-Fearer he wasn't necessarily Gentile anymore - and he wasn't a Jew - so having made most all preparations to become a Gentile convert and included in the Abrahamic Covenant were performed except the last one: circumcision. The Holy Spirit was promised to Israel, not Gentiles. But he was one step away from being Israel when the Holy Spirit filled him. Gentile proselytes are circumcised and have taken vows and offered sacrifice, etc., and would be the "Gentiles" referred to in the New Covenant writings. It does not definitely refer to hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant, fresh-out-of-their-idol worshiping-temple-Gentiles (as many believe.) God keeps covenant. And it seems to me being a near-covenant Gentile God-Fearer was close enough.

Scripture please. Show me in the Hebrew Scriptures in the Law, Psalms, and Prophets the Holy Spirit promised to Gentiles.
I did-you reject Paul and probably the whole New Testament.

the-seven-pauline-mysteries/#:~:text=Lesson,of%20His%20Will

Paul was in jail for telling a Secret. He was the prisoner of the Lord Jesus Christ, suffering as a criminal. For what? For the mystery.

Remember he was the prisoner for Gentiles. Paul writes, in Colossians 1:27, of the mystery among the Gentiles, “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” If this mystery meant the Gentiles’ hope of glory, how intensely interested those Colossians should have been in knowing every phase of that blessed truth. We should be just as eager today to know it.

In connection with that mystery among the Gentiles, in Colossians 1:27, note in the preceding verses that Paul was in prison because a dispensation of God had been given to him for Gentiles. His God-given, Christ-revealed duty was to fill up. To fill up, what?

First—note Colossians 1:24:

“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and to fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His Body’s sake, which is the Church.”

Second—note Colossians 1:25 and 26:

“Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, TO FULFILL THE WORD OF GOD; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints.”

Paul had to fill up that which was behind of the afflictions of Christ. Paul had to fill up (complete) the Word of God with the mystery. Paul was a genuine sufferer. “My sufferings for you. “

In II Timothy 1:12, Paul declared—“For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep MY DEPOSIT.” Note how we have quoted this verse. The Greek is “my paratheke”. Paul suffered because he had a deposit from Christ, the mystery. Paul practiced what he preached. Note what he preached in I Corinthians 4:1 and 2.

“Let a man so account of us, as, of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.”

Paul was a faithful steward. He was an uncompromising, fearless, faithful servant of the Lord Jesus Christ. Note his stand in Galatians 1:10.—“For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.”

Note the difference concerning Peter—“For before that certain (Peter) came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles; but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.” Galatians 2:12. Peter never forgot that rebuke. He wrote later—“And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that, are unlearned, and unstable wrest, as they do also the other Scriptures, unto their own destruction.” II Peter 3:15 and 16.

In this same second chapter of Galatians we read again concerning Paul’s uncompromising, bold stand—“To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.” Galatians 2:5.

Paul suffered for “the mystery”, for “my deposit”. Concerning “the mystery” Paul wrote- ”How that by revelation He made known unto me the mystery; as I wrote afore in few words.” Ephesians 3:3. The mystery was given to Paul by special revelation from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Note Paul’s desire concerning the knowledge of this mystery.

“And to make all men see what is THE DISPENSATION OF THE MYSTERY, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God.” Ephesians 3:9.

Paul had referred to “my gospel” and “the mystery” even before he reached the Roman jail. “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.” Romans 2:16. Note particularly Romans 16:25.

According to “my gospel”. According to the revelation of “the mystery”.

Note how they are again mentioned, in II Timothy 2:7 to 9.

“MY GOSPEL”—WHEREIN (FOR WHICH) I SUFFER AS AN EVIL DOER EVEN UNTO BONDS.

The mystery of the gospel was God’s eternal purpose in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 3:11.

Note II Timothy 1:9 and 1:11” Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” “Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.”

Again note Ephesians 1:4 and 5 and 1:11—“According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love; having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.” “In Whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will.” What God purposed in eternity before the world began was indeed God’s Secret from before the foundation of the world. It was according to the good pleasure of God’s will which He purposed in Himself, and in Christ Jesus, that members of the Body of Christ were chosen in Christ before the world began, and were predestinated to be conformed to the image of God’s Son and to be children in God’s family. Read Romans 8:29 and 30—“Foreknow”, “Predestinate”, “Called”, “Justified”, “Glorified.”

It is because of this eternal purpose of God that we can believe Romans 8:28 to 30. “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called; and whom He called, them He also justified; and whom He justified, them He also glorified.” It is true that this Secret of the Father of glory was not made known before the deposit and dispensation was committed to Paul but we learn in Romans and in I Corinthians that it was revealed to Paul before he reached the Roman jail.

Then he wrote—“Having made known unto us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself.” Ephesians 1:9.

So now the question to all saints, “Why should this Divine truth still be a Secret, if it has been made known?” God’s children have been blinded with sectarianism and religion, and have made no attempt to obey Ephesians 4:3 to 6—“Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one Body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, Who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”

The Mystery is God’s repudiation of all sectarianism and God’s refutation of any and all arguments to include any part of Israel’s religious program in His spiritual program for members of the Body of Christ, under the dispensation of the grace of God.

And then we need to pray the prayer of Ephesians 1:17 to 23, and receive the spirit of wisdom and revelation from the Father of glory, and have the eyes of our understanding enlightened to comprehend the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints. If we let God, by the Holy Spirit, make known unto us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself, we can say, Amen, to Romans 8:28 because when we are the called, according to His purpose, we know that His purpose is an eternal purpose “from foreknowledge to glorification”.

It is an eternity of grace. “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” II Timothy 1:9.

“That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 2:7.

What a glorious privilege to live under the present reign of grace, if we are the recipients of that over-abounding grace of “the God of all grace”.

Then as we bow and give thanks to our heavenly Father for the sufferings of the apostle to the Gentiles we should be ready to suffer with him and know what it means to become partakers of the sufferings of Christ, remembering II Timothy 2:12, “if we suffer, we shall also reign with Him.”

“But be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God.” II Timothy 1:8.

MY GOSPEL
Perhaps all of us were surprised when first we learned, by studying Paul’s ministry in the Book of Acts and in his Epistles, that he speaks of himself in the first-person pronoun more than 1000 times. We note his humility in Ephesians 3:8: “Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.”

No one can carefully study the testimonies of Paul and truthfully say that he was presumptuous, egotistical or deluded. We say that he was the greatest of all saints. Why did Paul speak of MY gospel?

He declares that the secrets of men’s hearts will be judged by MY gospel. Romans 2:16. In Romans 16:25 we read “Now to Him that is of power to establish you according to MY gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began.” Now note II Timothy 2:8 and 9: “According to MY gospel, Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds.”

If the Lord Jesus Christ commanded John the Baptist, the Seventy whom He sent out (Luke 10:1), or the Twelve, either before or after His death, to proclaim the same gospel that he committed unto Paul, why did Paul call this particular message MY gospel?

In Galatians 1:11 and 12 we learn how and from Whom Paul received his gospel: “the gospel which was preached of me is not after man: For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM
“And Jesus went about all their cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM, and healing every sickness, and every disease among the people.” Matthew 9:35.

In Matthew 10:5 to 8 we read that Christ told the Twelve to preach the same kingdom gospel and to carry on the same program of miracles; but to Jews only. By way of contrast note I Timothy 1:11 and 5:23 . . . “the Glorious Gospel committed to MY trust” . . “use a little wine for thine oft sicknesses.” Note II Timothy 4:20: “Trophimus have I left at Miletum SICK.”

When Paul wrote that he was suffering as an evil doer for “MY gospel”, he also wrote that he was in the Roman prison for “THE MYSTERY OF THE GOSPEL.” Ephesians 6:19 and 20 and Colossians 4:3 and 4. II Timothy 2:8 and 9.

The “MYSTERY OF THE GOSPEL” belongs to an entirely different Divine dispensation than does “THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM” and the preacher who proclaims to the Gentile, during this present reign of grace, the gospel of the kingdom for his salvation, is not only ignorant of God’s purpose for this age, but he is guilty, in God’s sight, of a spiritual crime. “There be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.” Galatians 1:7.

Please do not misrepresent us and say that we teach that nothing in the so-called Four Gospels is for sinners and saints of this age. We say dogmatically that the gospel of the kingdom is not the same as the gospel of the grace of God, which Christ, by special revelation, gave to Paul. Acts 20:24. Moreover we state emphatically that we must intelligently study Matthew, Mark and Luke in the light of Paul’s “MY GOSPEL”, if we would intelligently interpret, appropriate and apply the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth during this present reign of grace.

THE CIRCUMCISION AND THE UNCIRCUMCISION GOSPELS
“But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was committed unto Peter.” Galatians 2:7.How many gospels are here mentioned, in Galatians 2:7?

While it is true that no sinner, Jew or Gentile, in any dispensation, was ever saved on any other grounds than the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, it is also true that any man who declares there is only one gospel in the Bible is much mistaken.

Paul was not a prisoner in the Roman jail for preaching that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. He was in jail for preaching “the mystery of the gospel.”

The very same Paul whom you reject @jeremiah1five

~
According to Eph 1:13, folks are sealed with the Holy Spirit when they hear and
believe the gospel, and according to Eph 4:30 the Spirit's purpose is to seal them
unto the day of redemption.

My question is: What purpose did the Spirit have in mind when he fell upon
Cornelius and his friends when they heard and believed Peter's sermon per Acts
10:34-44 if not to seal them?

It appears to me per Acts 10:47 that the Spirit's purpose for them was the same
as the Spirit's purpose for Peter and his associates because he said per Acts 40:47
"These have received the Holy Ghost as well as we"

Was Peter sealed with the Spirit? Well; I think it's pretty safe to assume he was.

** Now; it's to be expected that some wag out there infatuated with ritual baptism
is going to insist that the seal was delayed until Peter had them all baptized in the
name of the Lord, but they'll be contradicting Eph 1:13 when they do.
_

Last edited:
~
believe the gospel, and according to Eph 4:30 the Spirit's purpose is to seal them

Cornelius and his friends when they heard and believed Peter's sermon per Acts
10:34-44 if not to seal them?
_
When Peter preached to Cornelius and his household, “the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the Word” (Acts 10:44). But how did Peter and his companions know that those of Cornelius’ household had received the Spirit? Verse 46 provides the answer: “For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.” It was this that settled the matter for Peter according to his own testimony in Acts 11:17:

CONCERNING CORNELIUS, THE GENTILE

If any man ever deserved to be saved, surely Cornelius did; for he feared God, and prayed to God; he was just and devout and was in good standing with God’s nation Israel. But he was uncircumcised. Unto Peter was committed the gospel of the circumcision. Galatians 2:7. By a wonderful vision God sent Peter to preach to Cornelius.

It is interesting to compare the two statements of Peter in Acts 10:28 and in Acts 10:34 and 35. In Acts 10:28 Peter declared that it was an unlawful thing for a man that was a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation. But God, in a vision, told Peter that He was now ready to depart from the old order; so Peter said, “Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him.” Acts 10:34 and 35. This was the Word which God sent to Israel in Judaea. Acts 10:36 and 37.

Later on, God sent a different word to the Gentiles, by Paul: “Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” Romans 4:4 and 5.

Quite different words from Acts 10:34 and 35.

Note the reaction on the part of the other apostles and Jewish brethren, when they heard that Peter had preached to Cornelius, the God-fearing, Jew-loving Gentile: “And the apostles and brethren that were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the Word of God. And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him, saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.” Acts 11:1 to 3.

They did not approve of the new Divine movement toward the Gentiles. But after Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, we read these words “When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.” Acts 11:18.

We emphasize “then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.” When? About seven or eight years after the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus.

PETER AND PAUL
In the light of these Scriptures, and the fact stated in Acts 11:19, we learn that during the first nine chapters of Acts, God’s order was the same as during the years of the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ, “to the Jew only.” After Saul became Paul, and thereafter throughout the Book of Acts, God’s order was “to the Jew first” and “also to the Gentile.” But this order ceased after Paul, in Rome, became the prisoner of Jesus Christ for Gentiles.

“FOR THIS CAUSE, I PAUL, THE PRISONER OF JESUS CHRIST FOR YOU GENTILES, IF YE HAVE HEARD OF THE DISPENSATION OF THE GRACE OF GOD WHICH IS GIVEN ME TO YOU-WARD: HOW THAT BY REVELATION HE MADE KNOWN UNTO ME THE MYSTERY.” Ephesians 3:1 to 3.

It is quite interesting to compare Peter’s statement in Acts 15:7 with the statement concerning Peter’s ministry in Galatians 2:9:

“AND WHEN THERE HAD BEEN MUCH DISPUTING, PETER ROSE UP, AND SAID UNTO THEM, MEN AND BRETHREN, YE KNOW HOW THAT A GOOD WHILE AGO GOD MADE CHOICE AMONG US, THAT THE GENTILES BY MY MOUTH SHOULD HEAR THE WORD OF THE GOSPEL AND BELIEVE.” Acts 15:7.

“AND WHEN JAMES, PETER AND JOHN, WHO SEEMED TO BE PILLARS, PERCEIVED THE GRACE THAT WAS GIVEN UNTO ME, THEY GAVE TO ME AND BARNABAS THE RIGHT HANDS OF FELLOWSHIP; THAT WE SHOULD GO UNTO THE HEATHEN, AND THEY UNTO THE CIRCUMCISION.” Galatians 2:9.

After God selected Peter to preach to the household of Cornelius He decided that Peter should confine his testimony to the Jews. The only time that Peter was out of the land of the Jews, according to the “Acts” record, he certainly proved that he was not the man of God to preach to Gentiles

“For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles; but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.” Galatians 2:12.

Let us keep in mind the fact that Peter and the Eleven remained in Jerusalem. Acts 8:1 and Acts 15:2. Christ promised them twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel. Matthew 19:28. The Twelve were to go over the cities of Israel. Matthew 10:23. They preached to devout Jews out of every nation under heaven. Acts 2:5. But it was Paul who assumed the responsibility of preaching to the Gentiles, the gospel of the uncircumcision and the unsearchable riches of Christ. Galatians 2:7—Romans 15:16—Ephesians 3:8—II Timothy 1:11—I Timothy 2:6 and 7—Romans 11:13. It was Paul who declared that under his supervision and God-given authority, the gospel had been preached all over the world, to every creature under heaven. Colossians 1:5 to 7 and Colossians 1:23.

Twelve apostles stood up on the day of Pentecost and preached to the twelve tribes of Israel. Acts 2:14 and 2:36. One of the Twelve was killed in Jerusalem, James, the brother of John. Acts 12:1 and 2. That murder occurred several years after Cornelius was saved.

Now, consider two interesting facts. First, there is no record in the Book of Acts, after the death of James, concerning the activities of the Twelve, only as Peter and James and the other nine apostles had dealings with the. Apostle Paul. And again:

There is no record in the Book of Acts that any of the Twelve preached outside of the land of the Jews, or that any of them, (except Peter’s message to Cornelius) preached to any other Gentile during the “Acts” period. They agreed to go to the Jews. Galatians 2:9. Twelve apostles to twelve tribes. One apostle of the Gentiles. Romans 11:13. The Twelve are to have a ministry to the twelve tribes in the future. Matthew 19:28—Revelation 21:12 to 14.

Now note the statement of James and Peter concerning the salvation of the household of Cornelius:

“AND AFTER THEY HAD HELD THEIR PEACE. JAMES ANSWERED, SAYING, MEN AND BRETHREN, HEARKEN UNTO ME: SIMEON HATH DECLARED HOW GOD AT THE FIRST DID VISIT THE GENTILES, TO TAKE OUT OF THEM A PEOPLE FOR HIS NAME. AND TO THIS AGREE THE WORDS OF THE PROPHETS; AS IT IS WRITTEN, AFTER THIS I WILL RETURN, AND WILL BUILD AGAIN THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID, WHICH IS FALLEN DOWN: AND I WILL BUILD AGAIN THE RUINS THEREOF. AND I WILL SET IT UP: THAT THE RESIDUE OF MEN MIGHT SEEK AFTER THE LORD, AND ALL THE GENTILES UPON WHOM MY NAME IS CALLED, SAITH THE LORD. WHO DOETH ALL THESE THINGS. KNOWN UNTO GOD ARE ALL HIS WORKS FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE WORLD.” Acts 15:13 to 18.

God visited Cornelius in agreement with Amos’ Prophecy. Read Amos 9:11 to 15. Amos’ prophecy concerning Gentile salvation was quite different from the unsearchable (unprophesied) riches of Christ which Paul preached to the Gentiles (Ephesians 3:8) concerning the Joint-Body of Ephesians 3:6. “Same Body” should be translated “JointBody.” This “Joint-Body” may be called in Ephesians, “the Church of the Mystery,” “the dispensation of the mystery which was hid in God.” Ephesians 3:9

It was one thing for God to visit the Gentiles to take out from them a people for His name It is quite a different thing for God to make of Jew and Gentile the Joint-Body of Ephesians 3:6, “the One New Man” of Ephesians 2:15. We must he careful not to confuse the prophesied Gentile program of Acts 15:13 to 18 with the unprophesied Gentile program of Ephesians 2:15 to 3:11.

The kingdom program of the Lord, under the Twelve, recorded in Acts, chapters two to eleven, was something of a pattern of what is going to take place on this earth after God has finished His eternal purpose concerning “the dispensation of the mystery.”

“And to make all men see what is the fellowship (dispensation) of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God. Who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the Church the manifold wisdom of God, According to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Ephesians 3:9 to 11.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

~
I was given some interesting advice some years ago that went sort of like this:

"If you can't win 'em with logic, then baffle 'em with an avalanche of rhetoric."
(a.k.a. a popular colloquial expression relative to a cow paddy.)
_

~

Cornelius' house when they heard and believed Peter's sermon per Acts 10:34-44
if not to seal them?

It appears to me that the Spirit's purpose was the same for them as the Spirit's
purpose was for Peter and his associates because he said per Acts 40:47 "These
have received the Holy Ghost as well as we"
_
'A devout man,
and one that feared God with all his house,
which gave much alms to the people,
and prayed to God alway.'

(Act 10:2)

'And they said, Cornelius the centurion,
a just man, and one that feareth God,
and of good report among all the nation of the Jews,
was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house,
and to hear words of thee.'

(Act 10:22)

Hello @Olde Tymer, and @Seabass,

The description we have of Cornelius, declares that he was a proselyte, being a just man and one that 'feared God', who acted righteously, giving alms to God's People Israel: thereby receiving, 'a good report,' among them, and who prayed to God always. He heard the words spoken by Peter, who spoke in obedience to God the Holy Spirit:-

' ... ... in every nation he that feareth Him,
and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him.
The word which God sent unto the children of Israel,
preaching peace by Jesus Christ: ( He is Lord of all )
That word, I say, ye know,
which was published throughout all Judaea,
and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:
Who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil;
for God was with Him.
And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem;
whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Him God raised up the third day, and shewed Him openly;
Not to all the people,
but unto witnesses chosen before of God,
even to us, who did eat and drink with Him after He rose from the dead.
And He commanded us to preach unto the people,
and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God
to be the Judge of quick and dead.
To Him give all the prophets witness,
that through His name whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins.'

(Act 10:35-43)

From this we can see that Peter was assured that Cornelius knew about the Lord Jesus Christ, and had heard both what the Lord had preached, and what was preached also by John the Baptist, so he was not ignorant concerning the Gospel of the Kingdom which both preached. So Peter witnessed to Cornelius concerning the things that he had seen and heard as one who was a Disciple and was with the Lord Jesus Christ constantly throughout His earthly ministry, who also witnessed His death, resurrection and ascension into heaven. Calling on the witness of the Old Testament Prophets, who, by revelation of God, had testified in advance of both His person and His work, ending with the assurance that whosoever believed in Him would receive remission of sins, through His Name.

As faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Rom. 10:17), Cornelius and the company with him, heard and received by faith the gospel preached by Peter, for the Holy Spirit confirmed it by falling on them that heard the word (v. 44): and they spoke with other tongues, magnifying God. They were then baptised in the name of the Lord, having received the remission of sins. So, God had granted unto the Gentiles also repentance unto life (Acts 11:18).

It was on hearing the word of God, spoken by Peter, that Cornelius and his company were saved (Acts 11:14), and not before.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom