The High Christology of the Book of James

Fred

James 1:1
James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.

In the New Testament Christians are slaves of the Lord Jesus. This demonstrates they worship Him as being YHWH. Notice this is used in equality with that of God the Father.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/a-slave-of-christ-yhwh.558/

James 1:5-7
(5) But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
(6) But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.
(7) For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord.

Notice how asking God in faith includes "the Lord" in reference to Jesus answering them. In fact, "the prayer offered in faith" (James 5:16) is later used by James in reference to the Lord Jesus - see the link in James 5 below.

The "Him" in James 1:12 refers to God.
James 1:12
Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
James 2:5
Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Notice what James affirms about "God" in James 1:12 encompasses the Lord Jesus (cf. Revelation 2:10).
Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Revelation 2:10
Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Notice once again that what James affirms about "God" in James 1:12 encompasses the Lord Jesus (cf. Revelation 3:10).
Blessed is a man who perseveres (hypomenō) under trial (peirasmos); for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Revelation 3:10
Because you have kept the word of My perseverance (hypomonē), I also will keep you from the hour of testing (peirasmos), that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

Notice how "pure and undefiled religion" in reference to the believer's relationship to God the Father (1:27) corresponds to the "faith" in the Lord Jesus Christ in the very next verse (2:1)
James 1:27; 2:1
(1:27) Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
(1) My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.

The "faith" of the Christian (cf. James 2:1) which Paul tried to "destroy" (Galatians 1:23; cf. Acts 9:21) includes the fact that Jesus is prayed to as being YHWH (Acts 9:21). This major component of "the faith" is what Christians are to "contend earnestly for" (Jude 3).
Acts 9:21
Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”
Galatians 1:23
But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”
Jude 3
Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

James 2:7
Do they not blaspheme the fair Name by which you have been called?
The "Name" refers to the "glorious Lord Jesus Christ" that James previously referred to in James 2:1.
For more on this and how it demonstrates Jesus is YHWH, see here:

James 2:19
You believe that God is one.
You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

The one God that James refers to encompasses the Lord Jesus in that:
a. The worship Jesus receives in equality with the Father.
b. The titles of Deity he ascribes unto the Lord Jesus.
c. The relationship the believer has in reference to the Lord Jesus (cf. James 1:12).
d. What James applies unto the one God alone is used in reference to Jesus (cf. James 4:12; 5:9)
e. Less than 20 verses earlier (James 2:1), and at the very beginning of his letter (James 1:1), James refers to Jesus as "Lord Jesus Christ." This means the Lord Jesus is YHWH (cf. 1 Corinthians 8:6; 10:21-22, 26).
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/jesus-is-the-lord-yhwh-in-1-corinthians-10-26-psalm-24-1-cf-deuteronomy-6-4.216/

James 4:2-3
(2) You lust and do not have; so you commit murder.
You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel.
You do not have because you do not ask.
(3) You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

See "James 1:5-7" above.

One of the ways of drawing near to God includes calling on the name of the Lord.
James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Lamentation 3:55-57
(55) I called on Your name, O Lord,
Out of the lowest pit.
(56) You have heard my voice,
“Do not hide Your ear from my prayer for relief,
From my cry for help.”
(57) You drew near when I called on You;
You said, “Do not fear!”

Since one is to call on the name of the Lord (YHWH) in reference to Jesus demonstrates he/she is drawing near to God in reference to Jesus.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/prayer.114/#post-4760

It is noteworthy that "the presence of the Lord" used in James 4:10 is also employed by Paul in reference to Jesus in 2 Thessalonians 1:9.
James 4:10
Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
2 Thessalonians 1:7-10
(7) and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,
(8) dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
(9) These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
(10) when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed.

James 4:12
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?
The "one...Judge" James refers to includes the Lord Jesus.
James 5:8-9
(8) You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.
(9) Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.

When James points out "if the Lord wills" in James 4:15 this corresponds to what Paul affirmed in reference to Jesus in 1 Corinthians 4:19.
James 4:15
Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”
1 Corinthians 4:19
But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I shall find out, not the words of those who are arrogant but their power.

James 5
See the following link:

I would add to what I wrote earlier in the link immediately above that James uses the word "name" (onoma) only three times in his letter. Notice how "in the name of the Lord" in James 5:10 is used in equality to the Lord Jesus in James 5:14.
James 5:10
As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the Name of the Lord.
James 5:14
Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Name of the Lord.

This use of the "Name" demonstrates Jesus is YHWH (see James 2:7 above).

Finally, what the Old Testament and James 5:4 say about "prayer" in reference to YHWH, both James and Peter say about "prayer" in reference to Jesus being YHWH.
Proverbs 15:29
The LORD is far from the wicked,
But He hears the prayer of the righteous.
James 5:16
The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
1 Peter 3:12 (Psalm 34:15-16a - Psalms 33:16-17a in the LXX)
For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears attend to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
James 5:4
Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.

Last edited:
James 1:1
James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.

In the New Testament Christians are slaves of the Lord Jesus. This demonstrates they worship Him as being YHWH. Notice this is used in equality with that of God the Father.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/a-slave-of-christ-yhwh.558/

James 1:5-7
(5) But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
(6) But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.
(7) For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord.

Notice how asking God in faith includes "the Lord" in reference to Jesus answering them. In fact, "the prayer offered in faith" (James 5:16) is later used by James in reference to the Lord Jesus - see the link in James 5 below.

The "Him" in James 1:12 refers to God.
James 2:5
Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Notice what James affirms about "God" in James 1:12 encompasses the Lord Jesus (cf. Revelation 2:10).
Revelation 2:10
Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Notice once again that what James affirms about "God" in James 1:12 encompasses the Lord Jesus (cf. Revelation 3:10).
Blessed is a man who perseveres (hypomenō) under trial (peirasmos); for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Revelation 3:10
Because you have kept the word of My perseverance (hypomonē), I also will keep you from the hour of testing (peirasmos), that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

Notice how "pure and undefiled religion" in reference to the believer's relationship to God the Father (1:27) corresponds to the "faith" in the Lord Jesus Christ in the very next verse (2:1)
James 1:27; 2:1
(1:27) Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
(1) My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.

The "faith" of the Christian (cf. James 2:1) which Paul tried to "destroy" (Galatians 1:23; cf. Acts 9:21) includes the fact that Jesus is prayed to as being YHWH (Acts 9:21). This major component of "the faith" is what Christians are to "contend earnestly for" (Jude 3).
Acts 9:21
Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”
Galatians 1:23
But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”
Jude 3
Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

James 2:7
Do they not blaspheme the fair Name by which you have been called?
The "Name" refers to the "glorious Lord Jesus Christ" that James previously referred to in James 2:1.
For more on this and how it demonstrates Jesus is YHWH, see here:

James 2:19
You believe that God is one.
You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

The one God that James refers to encompasses the Lord Jesus in that:
a. The worship Jesus receives in equality with the Father.
b. The titles of Deity he ascribes unto the Lord Jesus.
c. The relationship the believer has in reference to the Lord Jesus (cf. James 1:12).
d. What James applies unto the one God alone is used in reference to Jesus (cf. James 4:12; 5:9)
e. Less than 20 verses earlier (James 2:1), and at the very beginning of his letter (James 1:1), James refers to Jesus as "Lord Jesus Christ." This means the Lord Jesus is YHWH (cf. 1 Corinthians 8:6; 10:21-22, 26).
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/jesus-is-the-lord-yhwh-in-1-corinthians-10-26-psalm-24-1-cf-deuteronomy-6-4.216/

James 4:2-3
(2) You lust and do not have; so you commit murder.
You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel.
You do not have because you do not ask.
(3) You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

See "James 1:5-7" above.

One of the ways of drawing near to God includes calling on the name of the Lord.
James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Lamentation 3:55-57
(55) I called on Your name, O Lord,
Out of the lowest pit.
(56) You have heard my voice,
“Do not hide Your ear from my prayer for relief,
From my cry for help.”
(57) You drew near when I called on You;
You said, “Do not fear!”

Since one is to call on the name of the Lord (YHWH) in reference to Jesus demonstrates he/she is drawing near to God in reference to Jesus.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/prayer.114/#post-4760

It is noteworthy that "the presence of the Lord" used in James 4:10 is also employed by Paul in reference to Jesus in 2 Thessalonians 1:9.
James 4:10
Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
2 Thessalonians 1:7-10
(7) and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,
(8) dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
(9) These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
(10) when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed.

James 4:12
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?
The "one...Judge" James refers to includes the Lord Jesus.
James 5:8-9
(8) You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.
(9) Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.

When James points out "if the Lord wills" in James 4:15 this corresponds to what Paul affirmed in reference to Jesus in 1 Corinthians 4:19.
James 4:15
Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”
1 Corinthians 4:19
But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I shall find out, not the words of those who are arrogant but their power.

James 5
See the following link:

I would add to what I wrote earlier in the link immediately above that James uses the word "name" (onoma) only three times in his letter. Notice how "in the name of the Lord" in James 5:10 is used in equality to the Lord Jesus in James 5:14.
James 5:10
As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the Name of the Lord.
James 5:14
Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Name of the Lord.

This use of the "Name" demonstrates Jesus is YHWH (see James 2:7 above).

Finally, what the Old Testament and James 5:4 say about "prayer" in reference to YHWH, both James and Peter say about "prayer" in reference to Jesus being YHWH.
Proverbs 15:29
The LORD is far from the wicked,
But He hears the prayer of the righteous.
James 5:16
The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
1 Peter 3:12 (Psalm 34:15-16a - Psalms 33:16-17a in the LXX)
For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears attend to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
James 5:4
Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.
The Book of James is certainly a masterpiece Epistle, up there with Paul's Epistles and John's Gospel in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom