The dangerous false doctrine of Arminianism throughout the teaching of John Wesley

praise_yeshua

John Wesley was very inconsistent throughout his life relative to his changing theological positions. He is a perfect example of why I refuse to name myself after another man. Add the fact that the Scriptures state very clearly that such is carnal.

1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

I want to be very clear. I'm dealing with the lives and doctrines of men involved in the prevalence of Arminianism just like I have with Calvinism. I'm not attempting to "put myself" above any man. I'm not. I just rightfully recognize the weaknesses of all men. As much as I attack Calvinism because it is false, I must do the same with Arminianism. Both are dangerous and come from men that didn't live up to their own teachings.

Wesley, ironic, was very "Calvinist" when referencing his "Aldersgate Experience" (conversion). In fact, Arminians still actually CELEBRATE this event annually on May 24. I mean can you make this "stuff" up?... "Aldersgate Day".....Can we call this "Christmas in May"?

Aldersgate Day is where Wesley was actually "converted". He had already began preaching his "gospel message" (Wesley was already a priest). Wesley is quoted as stating....

"I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death"

Throughout his subsequent "marketing campaign" he preached that "complete sanctification" is obtainable. Though he, himself did not practice such himself. Publicly, Wesley was a different man than privately. In a private letter he bemoaned his condition to his brother but never showed his weaknesses publicly.

In other words he didn't live what he preached. Also, isn't it ironic that he preached "complete sanctification" while the denomination he began has become a cesspool of humanism today.

Wesley wrote in a letter to his brother Charles....and quoted by Stephen Tomkins

"In one of my last [letters] I was saying that I do not feel the wrath of God abiding on me; nor can I believe it does. And yet (this is the mystery), I do not love God. I never did. Therefore I never believed, in the Christian sense of the word. Therefore I am only an honest heathen ... And yet, to be so employed of God! And so hedged in that I can neither get forward nor backward! Surely there was never such an instance before, from the beginning of the world! If I ever have had that faith, it would not be so strange. But I never had any other evidence of the eternal or invisible world than I have now; and that is none at all, unless such as faintly shines from reason's glimmering ray. I have no direct witness (I do not say, that I am a child of God, but) of anything invisible or eternal.

"And yet I dare not preach otherwise than I do, either concerning faith, or love, or justification, or perfection. And yet I find rather an increase than a decrease of zeal for the whole work of God and every part of it. I am borne along, I know not how, that I can't stand still. I want all the world to come to what I do not know." (Quoted in Stephen Tomkins, 2003, John Wesley: A Biography, Eerdmans, p. 168.)

Again. No criticism here. Just being "REAL". I believe the Gospel is best served to make men guilty. All men guilty. Looking and longing for the Return of our Lord who shall change our vile bodies to be fashion perfectly in His likeness.

The dangers of Arminianism is self reliance "in the name of God". Arminians prove it over and over again in their personal lives.

Our message is Righteousness in another. Jesus Christ.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

John Wesley = “We do not find it expressly affirmed in Scripture, that God imputes the righteousness of Christ to any…” John Wesley “The Works of the Rev. John Wesley” page 350, published by J & J Harper in 1826

John Wesley was very inconsistent throughout his life relative to his changing theological positions. He is a perfect example of why I refuse to name myself after another man. Add the fact that the Scriptures state very clearly that such is carnal.

1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

I want to be very clear. I'm dealing with the lives and doctrines of men involved in the prevalence of Arminianism just like I have with Calvinism. I'm not attempting to "put myself" above any man. I'm not. I just rightfully recognize the weaknesses of all men. As much as I attack Calvinism because it is false, I must do the same with Arminianism. Both are dangerous and come from men that didn't live up to their own teachings.

Wesley, ironic, was very "Calvinist" when referencing his "Aldersgate Experience" (conversion). In fact, Arminians still actually CELEBRATE this event annually on May 24. I mean can you make this "stuff" up?... "Aldersgate Day".....Can we call this "Christmas in May"?

Aldersgate Day is where Wesley was actually "converted". He had already began preaching his "gospel message" (Wesley was already a priest). Wesley is quoted as stating....

"I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death"

Throughout his subsequent "marketing campaign" he preached that "complete sanctification" is obtainable. Though he, himself did not practice such himself. Publicly, Wesley was a different man than privately. In a private letter he bemoaned his condition to his brother but never showed his weaknesses publicly.

In other words he didn't live what he preached. Also, isn't it ironic that he preached "complete sanctification" while the denomination he began has become a cesspool of humanism today.

Wesley wrote in a letter to his brother Charles....and quoted by Stephen Tomkins

"In one of my last [letters] I was saying that I do not feel the wrath of God abiding on me; nor can I believe it does. And yet (this is the mystery), I do not love God. I never did. Therefore I never believed, in the Christian sense of the word. Therefore I am only an honest heathen ... And yet, to be so employed of God! And so hedged in that I can neither get forward nor backward! Surely there was never such an instance before, from the beginning of the world! If I ever have had that faith, it would not be so strange. But I never had any other evidence of the eternal or invisible world than I have now; and that is none at all, unless such as faintly shines from reason's glimmering ray. I have no direct witness (I do not say, that I am a child of God, but) of anything invisible or eternal.

"And yet I dare not preach otherwise than I do, either concerning faith, or love, or justification, or perfection. And yet I find rather an increase than a decrease of zeal for the whole work of God and every part of it. I am borne along, I know not how, that I can't stand still. I want all the world to come to what I do not know." (Quoted in Stephen Tomkins, 2003, John Wesley: A Biography, Eerdmans, p. 168.)

Again. No criticism here. Just being "REAL". I believe the Gospel is best served to make men guilty. All men guilty. Looking and longing for the Return of our Lord who shall change our vile bodies to be fashion perfectly in His likeness.

The dangers of Arminianism is self reliance "in the name of God". Arminians prove it over and over again in their personal lives.

Our message is Righteousness in another. Jesus Christ.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

John Wesley = “We do not find it expressly affirmed in Scripture, that God imputes the righteousness of Christ to any…” John Wesley “The Works of the Rev. John Wesley” page 350, published by J & J Harper in 1826
Right on, That's why I call myself a non-denominational Christian. I don't mind naming myself after Christ the God Man.

Right on, That's why I call myself a non-denominational Christian. I don't mind naming myself after Christ the God Man.
Amen. I will say that some "non-denominational Christian" make a denomination out of "non-denominationalism".

Christ is what matters. In fact, Peter "sanctified" the term Christian in

1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Amen. I will say that some "non-denominational Christian" make a denomination out of "non-denominationalism".

Christ is what matters. In fact, Peter "sanctified" the term Christian in

1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
I will take that as a word of advice, and remember to always give God the glory.

Wesley, ironic, was very "Calvinist" when referencing his "Aldersgate Experience" (conversion).

In what way was Wesley being Calvinistic in his description of his experience on Aldersgate?

In fact, Arminians still actually CELEBRATE this event annually on May 24. I mean can you make this "stuff" up?... "Aldersgate Day".....Can we call this "Christmas in May"?
First, how does this prove that Wesley was being Calvinistic? (The definition of which is yet undisclosed, if it even exists.)

Secondly, Arminianism is an independent concept from Wesleyanism! Wesley was Arminian in his denial of the eternal predestination of men to eternal life or eternal death, but he went beyond the boundaries of Arminian thought in other areas! You err badly by saying or implying that Arminian thought and Wesleyan thought are mirror images of each other, We refer to ourselves as “Wesleyan Arminian”.

Thirdly, Aldersgate Day is a uniquely Methodist holy day; not an Arminian tradition in general. I have been born and bred in the Wesleyan theological tradition, and have never heard of Aldersgate Day, much less celebrate it as a worshipful day of homage to Wesley!
The typical Calvinistic argument is that man cannot be righteous, even after being born again, and therefore, Christ’s righteousness is given to us as a covering to obscure our unrighteousness.

Wesley taught that the imputation of righteousness is not merely an attribution but an actual transformation of character from unrighteousness to righteousness. Imputation, in the Calvinistic sense is what Wesley Denys finding in scripture.

Sin imputed to us means we are actually sinful; we are actually corrupt and guilty of, and culpable for our actions. So it is with righteousness being imputed to us; we are really made righteous by the forgiveness of our sins and the infilling of the Holy Spirit that enables us to actually act righteously. We “become the righteousness of God”(2Cor 5:21), and “The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.” (1John 3:7)

Regarding Wesley’s letter on June 27, 1766, to his brother, Charles, this is nothing more than an honest venting of his own personal sense of discouragement and inadequacy. We all feel this way from time to time. It is interesting that, despite his own personal doubts as to his own character in relation to God, that he felt neither the judgement of God nor the absence of compulsion to preach the gospel. In short, it is a testimony to the fact that our trust in God is not based on emotional foundations, but in Christ himself.

Doug

That happens to be a true statement

what we do read

Romans 4:5 (KJV 1900) — 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

That happens to be a true statement

what we do read

Romans 4:5 (KJV 1900) — 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

I disagree but lets dedicate a thread on this topic. I'll tag you in the topic. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom