Saying you are a Calvinist is almost as bad as saying you are a Christian

civic

What does that even mean ? There are so many differences within those who call themselves Christians just like there is within those who call themselves Calvinists.

Personally I think the word " Calvinist " is always perceived as what Calvin taught but there are many within that group that differ from what he taught, so we cannot lump everyone together and throw the baby out with the bath water. I read yesterday an article where many who are 3 or 4 point among many other differences from the calvinist of the 16th century consider themselves to be calvinists.

Flowers talks about some of that here

https://soteriology101.com/2017/05/20/you-dont-understand-calvinism/

There are moderate Calvinists, high Calvinists, ultra Calvinists and hyper Calvinists (the last of which most Calvinists would disavow completely). There are some who affirm God’s provisional atonement for all people and God’s sincere desire for every individual to repent and believe; but others who do not. There are some who affirm God’s genuine love for every individual, while others only describe his feelings toward the non-elect as wrath-filled hatred.

Those familiar with the lapsarian controversy, which has to do with the logical order of God’s eternal decrees of salvation, realize the complexities of rightly defining the various perspectives of Calvinism. This disagreement is ultimately centered around the “achilles heel” of the Calvinistic worldview: DIVINE CULPABILITY. How does God escape being held responsible for the origin and ultimate cause of all moral evil? Some Calvinists attempt to explain the logical order of the divine decree in such a way as to minimize His guilt for the fall and the origin of evil, while “higher” forms of Calvinism (typically called “Supralapsarianism) simply embrace the troubling concept of double predestination and refer to “lesser” views of Calvinism as being “inconsistent.”

One scholar accurately observed:

Calvinists are seriously divided among themselves and always have been. There is Supralapsarianism vs. Sublapsarianism vs. Infralapsarianism. ‘The Supralapsarians hold that God decreed the fall of Adam; the Sublapsarians, that he permitted it’ (McClintock & Strong). The Calvinists at the Synod of Dort were divided on many issues, including lapsarianism. The Swiss Calvinists who wrote the Helvetic Consensus Formula in 1675 were in conflict with the French Calvinists of the School of Saumur. There are Strict Calvinists and Moderate Calvinists, Hyper and non-Hyper (differing especially on reprobation and the extent of the atonement and whether God loves all men), 5 pointers, 4 pointers, 3 pointers, 2 pointers. In America Calvinists were divided into Old School and the New School. As we have seen, the Calvinists of England were divided in the 19th century.

Whenever, therefore, one tries to state TULIP theology and then refute it, there are Calvinists who will argue with you that you are misrepresenting Calvinism. It is not so much that you are misrepresenting Calvinism, though. You might be quoting directly from various Calvinists or even from Calvin himself. The problem is that you are misrepresenting THEIR Calvinism! There are Calvin Calvinists and Thomas Fuller Calvinists and Arthur W. Pink Calvinists and Presbyterian Calvinists and Baptist Calvinists and many other sorts of Calvinists. Many Calvinists have never read Calvin’s Institutes of Christian Religion for themselves. They are merely following someone who follows someone who allegedly follows Calvin (who, by his own admission, followed Augustine
)

hope this helps !!!

more from the reference :

The point is that we are not all cut from the same cloth. Everyone does not have both feet firmly planted in one monolithic camp with a single statement of faith and spokesperson. If we desire to have profitable dialogue we must seek to understand the individual we are engaging rightly. We must avoid labeling them and dismissing them while assuming we fully understand their views simply because we have read a book or blog article from someone who appears to be from the same “camp.”

DEFINING THE TERMS:

This issue is closely related to the first. Many people even in the same camp use different terms that often carry various connotations and implications. For instance, when I say “responsible” I actually think it means that someone is “able to respond” (silly me). Yet, when some use the word “responsible” they simply hear “justly punishable even if one is unable to respond.”

This issue especially comes to light when the discussion of God’s eternal decree surfaces. Does God author sin? Did He create the desire to do evil? Does He ordain it or decree it, or both? Does He permissively decree it or actively decree it? Does God passively allow moral evil by “bare permission” and “simple foreknowledge” or does He actively plan it by “meticulous determinism?” Which verb is appropriate when talking about our perfectly Holy and Righteous Creator and the origin of moral evil? <listen to this discussion for more on this topic>

It is easy to see how such conversations can become confounding very quickly. One brother says, “God has decreed sin,” while meaning “God permissively allows contra-causally free moral creatures to choose to sin autonomously from God’s divine Holy will.” All the while, another brother, using the exact phrase, may mean, “God intended the morally evil choices by planning and meticulously determining the very desires and circumstances of mankind so that they would certainly choose as He ordained for His Holy purposes.” Neither brother desires to impugn God’s Holiness or His Sovereignty yet no doubt neither will escape the accusation of failing in their attempt.

This is one reason we need to be patient with each other and seek to understand the meaning of our opponent’s terms in a discussion. Also, we have to realize that our terms may carry an unintended connotation in the mind of our audience. We need to define our terms clearly and openly ask questions in order to really understand each other before engaging further in dialogue. @makesends @The Rogue Tomato @Johann @Joe @praise_yeshua @Presby02 @Rockson @synergy @TomL @PapaLandShark @Swordman @PeanutGallery @Ezra @john @SteveB @MatthewG @APAK @JD731 @Grace ambassador @dwight92070 @brightfame52

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
more

CORRECT BUT NOT PALATABLE:

Imagine the reaction if a sitting President made one of the two following comments:

• “Authorities subdued the suspect, and through interrogation, thwarted the plot of the terrorist organization.”
Versus:

• “Jack ran down the black 18 year old teenager as he left the high school parking lot, slammed him to the ground, broke his knee caps with a bat, put a gun in his mouth and threatened to pull the trigger until he gave up information leading to a line of three other suspects who had similar painful experiences. Finally, Jack extracted the plot of the terrorists, which could have been found out a number of other ways.”
Both statements may be explaining the exact same situation and both may be completely true, but the latter contains the kind of details that many of us rather not hear about. Now consider these two theological statements:

• “To display His abundant providential power, God has sovereignly brought all things to pass in accordance with His Holy plan.”
Versus:

• “To show off how powerful He is, God meticulously determined all the heinous desires and subsequent evil actions of every creature who has ever lived in such a way that they could not have done otherwise, including the rapes of children, the holocaust, slavery, torture, and every single evil thought, deed or inclination because that was what He planned and ultimately desired to come to pass for His own glorification.”
One of the statements may be much more palatable and easier to affirm, but both are stating the same basic meaning. Applied theology means just that. It is when our theological rhetoric is taken out of the classroom and applied in the real world. Some people cannot stomach it, while others revel in its disdain as a badge of honor, almost as if the more offensive their views are to others the more likely they are to be correct.

hope this helps !!!

Calvinism is described by many people in many different ways but at its essence, it is an understanding of scripture. It starts with an understanding of scripture that believes that this truly testifies to God. God himself, as he has revealed himself to us very graciously.

Also, an understanding that God is at work in this world. He is sovereignly working all things to his glory, through the renown of his name. That is the essence of Calvinism and the beauty of Calvinism is how it helps you to understand what God has done in Jesus Christ to send his one and only son to die for us, to die for people who have rejected God, who have rebelled against him, who have sinned against him. He has intervened and he is now calling to himself a people, a people who believe in the name of Lord Jesus Christ and will be forgiven of their sins and they will be with him forever more.

I think Calvinism helps you to understand scripture, and the God who is always intervening, whether it be from his creation in the beginning of Genesis to his return that we read about in Revelation. God is always actively involved with his creation, redeeming it and preparing it for his return.

Yes we must be willing to learn as we grow.

However we must NOT take man's theology over the word nor quench the Spirit in the way he only can lead us to understand the word.

It is usually our preconceived ideas about how one says something opposed to what they are truly saying. IMO it is that knee-jerk reaction which causes us to lose focus on the doing " in love" in our fallible attempts to correct one another.

Please if I ever offend, tell me , not in an angry way but in a way to reach & teach me that I am in error.
I see a lot of's ""YOUR WRONG" statements at the start of rebuttals that to me are offensive even when they are not directed to or at me !

Let us be tender heart towards one another, forgiving first as Christ has forgiven us ❤️

Calvinism is described by many people in many different ways but at its essence, it is an understanding of scripture. It starts with an understanding of scripture that believes that this truly testifies to God. God himself, as he has revealed himself to us very graciously.

Also, an understanding that God is at work in this world. He is sovereignly working all things to his glory, through the renown of his name. That is the essence of Calvinism and the beauty of Calvinism is how it helps you to understand what God has done in Jesus Christ to send his one and only son to die for us, to die for people who have rejected God, who have rebelled against him, who have sinned against him. He has intervened and he is now calling to himself a people, a people who believe in the name of Lord Jesus Christ and will be forgiven of their sins and they will be with him forever more.

I think Calvinism helps you to understand scripture, and the God who is always intervening, whether it be from his creation in the beginning of Genesis to his return that we read about in Revelation. God is always actively involved with his creation, redeeming it and preparing it for his return.
Calvinism in its purest form is what calvin taught and recorded in his institutes. Most associate TULIP with calvinism as the fundamental tenant of calvinism which was formed after he passed. There is so much more to calvinism than tulip. Covenants, law vs grace, eschatology plus all the other things in the OP.

However we must NOT take man's theology over the word nor quench the Spirit in the way he only can lead us to understand the word.

It is usually our preconceived ideas about how one says something opposed to what they are truly saying. IMO it is that knee-jerk reaction which causes us to lose focus on the doing " in love" in our fallible attempts to correct one another.

Please if I ever offend, tell me , not in an angry way but in a way to reach & teach me that I am in error.
I see a lot of's ""YOUR WRONG" statements at the start of rebuttals that to me are offensive even when they are not directed to or at me !

Let us be tender heart towards one another, forgiving first as Christ has forgiven us ❤️
I totally agree with your statement.

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, His Holy Spirit comes to live in us. It is then, and ONLY then, that we are empowered to even begin to love the way the bible tells us to:

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Galatians 5:22-23

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, His Holy Spirit comes to live in us. It is then, and ONLY then, that we are empowered to even begin to love the way the bible tells us to:

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Galatians 5:22-23

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
Welcome to BAM ❤️

Back
Top Bottom