Regeneration is through the indwelling Spirit

TomL

In scripture we have a couple pictures of regeneration

The first is Ezekiel's valley of dry bones

Ezekiel 37:1–14 (ESV) — 1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones. 2 And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry. 3 And he said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord GOD, you know.” 4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. 5 Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. 6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the LORD.” 7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I prophesied, there was a sound, and behold, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. 8 And I looked, and behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. But there was no breath in them. 9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord GOD: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army. 11 Then he said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are indeed cut off.’ 12 Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will open your graves and raise you from your graves, O my people. And I will bring you into the land of Israel. 13 And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people. 14 And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the LORD.”

It will be noted there was no life in these bones until breath (heb Ruach - breath, wind, spirit) was placed in them

and indeed the same word is translated Spirit at verse 14

Regeneration is the impartation of life - The indwelling of the spirit brings it about

Ezekiel 36:25–27 (KJV 1900) — 25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

It is the indwelling of the Spirit which enables one to walk in God statutes

Regeneration is affirmed as that which enables one to walk in God's statutes.

These pictures of regeneration through the indwelling Spirit are buttressed by

John 4:10–14 (KJV 1900) — 10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. 11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? 12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Where the work of the indwelling Spirit is described as living water springing up to everlasting life.

Note: Living water is a reference to the Holy Spirit

John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900) — 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Last edited:
And one has to be regenerated by the Spirit in order to believe the Truth 2 Thess 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Those who were regenerated, described as sanctification of the Spirit, they were called by the Gospel to believe the Truth of it.

And one has to be regenerated by the Spirit in order to believe the Truth 2 Thess 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Those who were regenerated, described as sanctification of the Spirit, they were called by the Gospel to believe the Truth of it.
Faith precedes reception of the Spirit

Gal. 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Gal. 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith—

Gal. 3:14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

John 7:38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

and life (regeneration)

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 5:25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

John 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

BTW nothing but your theology links sanctification of the Spirit and belief in the truth

The Spirit does not sanctify unbelievers

Gal. 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Gal. 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith—

Gal. 3:14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

John 7:38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

and life (regeneration)

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 5:25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

BTW nothing but your theology links sanctification of the Spirit and belief in the truth

The Spirit sanctifies all unbelievers who have been sanctified by the Death of Christ Heb 10:10

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

So all unbelievers whom Christ died for are legally sanctified by the Offering of Christ, even when they're unbelievers. And that being the case, they shall be sanctified by the Spirit as well to make them believers. So your statement " The Spirit does not sanctify unbelievers" is without knowledge of the Truth

Also if one obeyed through the Spirit as Per 1 Pet 1:22 they were an unbeliever before they obeyed or believed by the Spirit, Duh

The Spirit sanctifies all unbelievers who have been sanctified by the Death of Christ Heb 10:10

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

So all unbelievers whom Christ died for are legally sanctified by the Offering of Christ, even when they're unbelievers. And that being the case, they shall be sanctified by the Spirit as well to make them believers. So your statement " The Spirit does not sanctify unbelievers" is without knowledge of the Truth

Also if one obeyed through the Spirit as Per 1 Pet 1:22 they were an unbeliever before they obeyed or believed by the Spirit, Duh
Duh that verse applies to believers and you just ignored context

Hebrews 10:19–23 (ESV) — 19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

and life (regeneration)

Duh that verse applies to believers and you just ignored context

Hebrews 10:19–23 (ESV) — 19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

and life (regeneration)

Sorry context refutes you

Sorry context refutes you

You ignored the context

This is written to believers

You ignored the context

This is written to believers

Still ignoring the fact it was written to believers not unbelievers

sorry, the word unbeliever appears nowhere in the text

you add it, ignoring the fact it is written to believers

Why is it you must add to the word of God to create your theology

Still ignoring the fact it was written to believers not unbelievers

Sorry but the passage is still speaking of believers not unbelievers

You simply ignore scripture and extoll your false theology

nowhere do we read unbelievers are sanctified

Sorry but the passage is still speaking of believers not unbelievers

You simply ignore scripture and extoll your false theology

nowhere do we read unbelievers are sanctified
Unbelievers/ sinners that Christ died for, shall be regenerated by the Spirt and given the fruit of faith !

Unbelievers/ sinners that Christ died for, shall be regenerated by the Spirt and given the fruit of faith !
sorry unbelievers do not have the spirit

John 14:16–17 (KJV 1900) — 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

unbelievers are not saved by being regenerated (Tit 3:5-7)

John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

sorry unbelievers do not have the spirit

John 14:16–17 (KJV 1900) — 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

unbelievers are not saved by being regenerated (Tit 3:5-7)

John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Unbelievers do not receive the spirit

mindlessly repeating your theology does not contradict scripturer

mindlessly repeating your theology does not contradict scripturer

nor are they given life (regeneration)

John 3:36 (ESV) — 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Back
Top Bottom