Putting to death the "pagan" and "gnostic" genetic fallacy.

Diserner

This is a bad argument, linking something back to a pagan belief or practice and claiming it proves it is somehow bad.

It is called a genetic fallacy because one is making an assertion that mere association or correlation equals causation.

Along with something being "gnostic," which is a similar specific kind of pagan genre of cult, these terms are all to often used as a generic catch all to make a view "look bad."

You can link almost anything back to some concept or idea in paganism and gnosticism if you work hard enough, and these are extremely broad concepts.

I personally reject Calvinism and divine determinism, but not because Augustine was somehow gnostic. I reject the idea based on what the Bible personally speaks to me through the Spirit.

The devil often uses a counterfeit that looks or feels similar to the real thing—even in the book of Revelation we see all kinds of counterfeits. The antichrist dies and rises again to mimic Christ; there is a demonic trinity mimicking the real thing; there is a demand for worship from all people.

Does that mean all worship concepts are Satanic? All resurrection concepts? All Trinity concepts?

These are the very kinds of arguments atheists use to say all of Bible is itself of pagan origin and just another version of pagan myths and legends!

Indeed 3 is a common number and we can see a lot of "trinity" type things in paganism.

Is every belief a pagan had necessarily bad and icky because we can say it's "pagan"?

They believed in the spiritual worlds and good and evil spirits.... does that mean belief in angels and demons are necessarily pagan?

They prayed to higher deities, does that mean all prayer is necessarily pagan?

These things are "non sequitur," they do not logically follow.

A certain Dr. Leighton Flowers has liked to call this the "boogeyman fallacy." You take a certain label with negative connotations, then use it as a weapon to just insult a belief, like kids on a playground. "You're a fatty! You're a dork! You're a pagan! You're a gnostic!" This is all the essential logic behind it is.

Gnosticism is a difficult thing to study out, and basically encapsulates a lot of strange cultish beliefs of secret higher knowledge that often had elaborate beliefs about the physical versus material, strange origins of humanity from immature interplay between different gods and their demands of humans.

This does not mean everything that is a "mystery" is somehow gnostic. The Gospel is called a mystery. Christ in us is called a mystery. The revelations of God are called knowledge and God is said to have secrets he shares with his people.

This does not somehow make the Gospel and the Bible gnostic.

I would urge those throwing these things out so thoughtlessly, to take a moment and deeply consider the real logic behind the claims.

Ask yourself "How fuzzy is the logic I am using in reality? Am I just in the end resorting to playground tactics and calling names?"

Most people using these terms have not even researched deeply into them and studied out what they really represent.

So no.

Jesus dying for sins and sprinkling with blood does not necessarily correlate to pagan blood magic.

God declaring curses and blessings based on certain behaviors is not evidence of pagan superstition.

Paul declaring that all fall short of the glory of God and are sinful is not an imported pagan idea of resident evil.

Saying people have spirits along with their bodies is not ancient gnostic mysticism.

And even declaring that God sovereignly decrees all things, although I disagree with it, does not necessarily equate to gnostic versions of fatalism.

I urge all to up their logic games and try be more consistent, thought-out, and well studied in their claims.

Peace to all in Christ.

You have hit on something I am well aware of, that there are many counterfeits in the occult world of deception and religion. I think the reason for that is basically that Susan has no original ideas, but are all based on heavenly and spiritual realities but are given a slight tweak...a little poison in truth can still kill.

On death...
There are many aspects one could discuss related to death. But let us leave out all the philosophies of man and the vague interpretive opinions regards what the Bible means, but let us simply and humbly accept what the Bible says. Nor let us choose just one text or passage, but let us survey the whole scripture record, comparing scripture with scripture, line upon line, here a little there a little, and come then to a conclusion weighing up the evidence.

First, let us begin where God began...creation. Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Here described is the nature of man. Succinctly and clearly, with no ambiguity and no interpretation necessary. Man is a living soul. We are a combination of two things. Dust, and breath of life...spirit. That combination forms the soul. When we die, Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. And as a result of that separation of dust and breath, body and spirit, the soul ceases to exist. As Ezekiel says, the soul that sinneth it shall die. The man, the human being, dies. The body becomes corrupted and turns into mud, and the life force that animated the body making it a living soul, returns to God. There is no evidence in scripture, anywhere, hinting or speaking either implicitly or explicitly, that the spirit that returns to God at death has a life of its own carrying the consciousness or personality of the former man. We must remember that as you must also agree to , that God alone is immortal, but that He also is Spirit. God alone is an immortal Spirit. In other words, only God is an immortal Spirit. So unless you can show me that the spirit He gave to man is immortal in the same manner as He is, that is carrying the personality and memories and life of the former bearer, we must assume that the spirit is merely that which is revealed thus far...the breath of life that in conjunction with dust, forms the living soul.

You see, throughout the church age, until just recently, the hope of the Christian was the resurrection. The hope of eternal life was not in going to heaven at death, but in the reuniting of the decayed body in the grave, with the spirit once again creating a living soul. We all know this takes place at no other time than at the second coming. It makes no sense to believe that spirits are in heaven having a mind, a face, fingers and toes, arms and legs, a head to think with, a mouth to praise with, eyes to see with....all these things are still in the grave along with the rest of the body.

And scripture attests to this very thing. Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun......
.....10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Job 14:9 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. 10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? 11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: 12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Psalms 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Psalms 88:10 ¶ Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?

Isaiah 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. 19 The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.

Kings, prophets, and priests alike testified that in the grave, there is no life, not until the resurrection.

Romans 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that areq contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Why must the redeemed seek for immortality or eternal life if it came naturally? It is clear from many scriptures that eternal life is a gift granted by grace to the one who accepts Christ as his Savior. Never is it even hinted at anywhere that eternal life is granted to the sinner. The second death is that same death described above...no concsiousness...no life....complete oblivion. That death, that oblivion, is the eternal punishment , the eternal death from which there is no resurrection, no hope of the reunion of spirit and body, complete and utter separation from the only source of life, the Living God.

You have hit on something I am well aware of, that there are many counterfeits in the occult world of deception and religion. I think the reason for that is basically that Susan has no original ideas, but are all based on heavenly and spiritual realities but are given a slight tweak...a little poison in truth can still kill.
Who's Susan? Is she a friend of Karen ? Just kidding it was a typo you meant Satan right?

Who's Susan? Is she a friend of Karen ? Just kidding it was a typo you meant Satan right?
Um yeah, apologies to all the Susans reading this. No offence intended. I am sure, just to make things clear, that there are many Susans in the world who have some original ideas. Maybe even more than the Karens.
I texted my daughter a few years back, concluding my message with, "I love you heaps". Mrs Karen Google however decided that wasn't nearly personal enough, and my daughter received, "I love your hips".

Back
Top Bottom