The connection between Gnosticism and the Reformers

You're trying to prove God is virtuous because he's not responsible for a flat tire. I call that ridiculous.

No. God is virtuous regardless of the flat tire. When I'm appealing to the "flat tire"..... I'm appeal to the emptiness of your argument concerning all things being predestined.

Not only that, but could God have prevented the flat tire? If so, why didn't he? If not, why is it that not even a sparrow falls to the ground apart from God, but a tire goes flat apart from His will?

God isn't required to intervene in our own creations. We must own them ourselves.

Yes. God allows many things in this life but He isn't culpable just because He has the power to stop them. That is ridiculous argument. You're selectively quoting me. You're doing this because you can't deal with everything I'm saying. If you're not going to do this then we can just stop interacting on this subject.

I'm going to say it again. You're blaming the gun manufacturer for making the gun that someone used to kill someone else. You know you wouldn't blame yourself or believe you're culpable in such a scenario.... However, your theology presents that very fact. You believe God is culpable for his inaction. That is silly and ridiculous.

How detailed is God's control? Even the hairs on your head are numbered. In my case, that's not much of a feat, but even so...

Knowing the hairs on your head isn't causing your hair to fall out. Do you see the difference? Even I know you have less than you had before. I'm headed toward zero myself. Why are you make such empty arguments. You know you see the difference but you refuse to recognize it.

Because this isn't about will, it is an introduction to God's temporary rejection of Israel (except for a remnant) and opening up to the gentiles. If anything, it reinforces predestination because this move was prophesied in the OT.

So when Jesus said that He would have taken Israel in.... He was lying?

That is what you're saying. You are calling Jesus a liar.

Last edited:
Poetic, at least, I'll give you that. But inaccurate. The dead in sins do not cry out to God; they don't even know they are dead. At best, they know they are unhappy, and that their consciences bother them.

They know through the Gospel. That is how you know. Why are you pretending you're so special?

I suppose you preach the Gospel so infrequently that you don't remember such simple things?

They don't even know who God is to cry out to him. They suppose some great power beyond theirs, and add whatever garbage they have heard to that. It takes faith, generated by the Spirit of God, who knows God as he knows himself, before the cry has any substance to it.

You're reiterating only. No support. Argumentative.

Argumentative. I tell you that God chose His Son OVER YOU.... and you believe that is argumentative?

Again. You forget that the Gospel is preached. When was the last time you preached the Gospel? Did you forget what you told others?

civic said:
Calvinist theologians including Calvin teach God is responsible for those evil and sinful acts

makesends said:
If they use the words, "responsible", what do they mean by it?

What's with the smartmouthing attitude?

No, they do not mean God is culpable, and that is my point.

Smartmouth? How lovely.... Be a man.

1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men

You provided no evidence to the contrary. Sure, you can claim you didn't mean what your words equal. Obviously....you must do this when you preach the Gospel.

You must actually believe that when you're telling others that Christ died for their sins....... that the people you're giving that information can't understand YOU....How lovely. Do you really expect others to not understand what you're telling them? If they don't understand, then what does that say about your inability to relate the Gospel?

Maybe you shouldn't be preaching the Gospel when you're haphazardly casting seed with no expectation of anything taking root.

Well said Paul.......How shall they preach unless they be called?

Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Knowing the hairs on your head isn't causing your hair to fall out. Do you see the difference? Even I know you have less than you had before. I'm headed toward zero myself. Why are you make such empty arguments. You know you see the difference but you refuse to recognize it.

He didn't say he knows the number of hairs. He said your hairs are numbered. There's a difference, especially in the context. That statement immediately follows the one about not even a sparrow falls to the ground apart from your Father.

How dare you say I'm calling Jesus a liar. I'm done with you.

10 leppars....Now it happened as He went to Jerusalem that He passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. 12Then as He entered a certain village, there met Him ten men who were lepers, who stood afar off. 13And they lifted up their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 14So when He saw them, He said to them, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And so it was that as they went, they were cleansed. Luke 17:11

Woman with the issue of blood: Now a certain woman had a flow of blood for twelve years, 26and had suffered many things from many physicians. She had spent all that she had and was no better, but rather grew worse. 27When she heard about Jesus, she came behind Him in the crowd and touched His garment. 28For she said, “If only I may touch His clothes, I shall be made well.” Mark 5:29 She never thought she had to confess grandfathers mistakes.

Who Sinned? As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”3“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” John 9: 1,5

Sons Won't Be Punished ;;; The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself. Ex 18:20
He didn't say he knows the number of hairs. He said your hairs are numbered. There's a difference, especially in the context.

You sure you're not splitting hairs with the other poster?​

What Does "Split Hairs" Mean?​

The phrase "split hairs" stands for making fine or minute distinctions. If you "split hairs," it indicates that you're focusing on small, insignificant details and often nitpicking differences that don't matter much in the grand scheme.

They know through the Gospel. That is how you know. Why are you pretending you're so special?

I suppose you preach the Gospel so infrequently that you don't remember such simple things?

Argumentative. I tell you that God chose His Son OVER YOU.... and you believe that is argumentative?

Again. You forget that the Gospel is preached. When was the last time you preached the Gospel? Did you forget what you told others?

Smartmouth? How lovely.... Be a man.

1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men

You provided no evidence to the contrary. Sure, you can claim you didn't mean what your words equal. Obviously....you must do this when you preach the Gospel.

You must actually believe that when you're telling others that Christ died for their sins....... that the people you're giving that information can't understand YOU....How lovely. Do you really expect others to not understand what you're telling them? If they don't understand, then what does that say about your inability to relate the Gospel?

Maybe you shouldn't be preaching the Gospel when you're haphazardly casting seed with no expectation of anything taking root.

Well said Paul.......How shall they preach unless they be called?

Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
That's enough disrespect and antagonism. This isn't debate anymore. It's noise.

He didn't say he knows the number of hairs. He said your hairs are numbered. There's a difference, especially in the context. That statement immediately follows the one about not even a sparrow falls to the ground apart from your Father.

How dare you say I'm calling Jesus a liar. I'm done with you.
1. Jesus said He would have taken Israel "under His wing".... IF they would have let Him.

You are saying that Jesus didn't actually mean these words. That is what you are saying.

What do YOU call this?

2. So God personally kills sparrows? There isn't a rape of a innocent Israel child done by Hamas that God doesn't know about. Are you expecting me to believe God planned such?

Last edited:
That's enough disrespect and antagonism. This isn't debate anymore. It's noise.

No, I don't respect your position. Why should I?

You are denying that knowledge is imparted when a called preacher... preaches the Gospel. Paul disrespected your position. Also, you are not rightfully recognizing the Christ centric preaching of the Gospel. You preach yourself. That is what Calvinism teaches about election. That God chose them. That is a self centered Gospel.

Back
Top Bottom