One God

praise_yeshua

The primary appeal of the Unitarian is to the "singular" aspect of God they insist exist in such Scriptures as

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

You know.... the ole "One God" reframe"....

There are several issues with this, none so glarying as the obvious fact that the Scriptures often treat the many as "One".

Mar 10:8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
Mar 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Now all of you "married" Unitarians out there...... Can you confirm to me that you enjoy talking about how your "wife" isn't equal and part of you?

1. Do you have these conversations when your wife isn't around?
2. If you're so bold as to have them in front of her, just what does she say when you insist her authority only comes from you?
3 Before you respond. Can you invite your wife to the forum and have them confirm that you actually live what you claim you believe? They can remain anonymous. I'm just asking you to be real and get them involved.

Contrary to what Unitarians often believe, they don't actually live the way they insist God does.

For the record, more verses that show multiples combined in ONE...

Joh 17:11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

Joh 17:21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Joh 17:22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,

God cares that we know who he is, and he longs for us to understand him better. Through his Word he revealed his triune nature, though many avoid in-depth study of this doctrine because it is so deep and mysterious. And of course some rejected it completely.

But God's revelation of himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit affects how he relates to us, how he made us, and who he is eternally. The doctrine of the Trinity is essential to our understanding of him and of our faith.

To understand just how God is both One and Three is to delve into some of Scripture's most glorious truths and to experience the joy of beholding the wonder of our triune God.

God cares that we know who he is, and he longs for us to understand him better. Through his Word he revealed his triune nature, though many avoid in-depth study of this doctrine because it is so deep and mysterious. And of course some rejected it completely.

But God's revelation of himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit affects how he relates to us, how he made us, and who he is eternally. The doctrine of the Trinity is essential to our understanding of him and of our faith.

To understand just how God is both One and Three is to delve into some of Scripture's most glorious truths and to experience the joy of beholding the wonder of our triune God.
Amen !

The primary appeal of the Unitarian is to the "singular" aspect of God they insist exist in such Scriptures as

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

You know.... the ole "One God" reframe"....

There are several issues with this, none so glarying as the obvious fact that the Scriptures often treat the many as "One".

Mar 10:8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
Mar 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Now all of you "married" Unitarians out there...... Can you confirm to me that you enjoy talking about how your "wife" isn't equal and part of you?

1. Do you have these conversations when your wife isn't around?
2. If you're so bold as to have them in front of her, just what does she say when you insist her authority only comes from you?
3 Before you respond. Can you invite your wife to the forum and have them confirm that you actually live what you claim you believe? They can remain anonymous. I'm just asking you to be real and get them involved.

Contrary to what Unitarians often believe, they don't actually live the way they insist God does.

For the record, more verses that show multiples combined in ONE...

Joh 17:11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

Joh 17:21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Joh 17:22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,
Great points but unless one has an open mind and can read the bible through an unbiased lens they will refuse to see the simple truths in your OP.

I know as I was a calvinist for decades and only looked at the bible through that lens, its the same thing unitarians do through that lens.

Its a hard thing to admit one is doing because they think what they believe and have been taught it actually spiritual truth, biblical truth and equate those beliefs with equal standing with scripture. I see calvinists do this all of the time with the doctrines of grace as if they are actually scripture. unitararians/JW's do the exact same thing with their false premises they read into scripture. Since God is only one person then everything they read where it "appears" to conflict with God as one person must be read to mean something else so they redefine words to support the premise that God is only one person. One way of doing that is with the BIG G and little g argument for the True One God vs little god with the lower case g.

Last edited:
My primary appeal is Jesus of Nazareth.

His God is only one person, the Father. By definition, Jesus of Nazareth himself is a unitarian.

“1. The one God. theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only, and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself makes the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1 Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

The God of Jesus Christ is the one God, the one, only, and unique God, the God of the fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Israel.

Hello Matthias,

I know Unitarians can differ on this so I would like to know where you stand.

Do you believe the Bible teaches that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer?

Hi Fred. It’s a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for the question.

I see in Scripture that the Father is the proper recipient of prayer. See, for example, Jesus’ teaching on prayer. However, I also see and understand that Jesus may be addressed in prayer. My own practice is ordinarily to address prayer to the Father alone but, occasionally, to both the Father and to Jesus. I don’t recall addressing any prayers to Jesus alone but I don’t see anything wrong with doing so.

As a follower of the Messiah it would strike me as odd to not ever speak to him.

“1. The one God. theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only, and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself makes the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1 Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

Do you also agree with what the NIDNTT affirms about 1 John 5:20 below?
(the boldface is mine)

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (NIDNTT): The climax of Johannine teaching occurs in the confessional formula of 1 Jn. 5:20 which asserts the full identity of essence of Christ and God: "And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life" (RSV). This gives a lit. reproduction of the Gk. words. (2:82, God, J. Schneider)

Do you also agree with what the NIDNTT affirms about 1 John 5:20 below?
(the boldface is mine)

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (NIDNTT): The climax of Johannine teaching occurs in the confessional formula of 1 Jn. 5:20 which asserts the full identity of essence of Christ and God: "And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life" (RSV). This gives a lit. reproduction of the Gk. words. (2:82, God, J. Schneider)

No.

I mean which ones do you believe He is referred to as theos?

I’ll have to review Harris’ list and let you know.

Meanwhile, isn’t it enough that I’ve agreed that such verses exist?

I believe Jesus is God, but not in the same way that you do.

I’ll have to review Harris’ list and let you know.

Meanwhile, isn’t it enough that I’ve agreed that such verses exist?

I believe Jesus is God, but not in the same way that you do.

Ok, thanks.
I think that is rather evasive though.

“Belief in the one, only, and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition.”

The boldface above and below are mine.

NIDNTT: in Jude 4 the uniqueness of God can be applied without qualification to Jesus (2:725, One, K. H. Bartels).

Unique is defined as “existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics” (Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary, page 1554), while qualification is defined as a “restriction” (ibid., page 1174).

There is no restriction in that Christ shares in the “uniqueness” (singleness) of the one and only God.

Last edited:
I also see and understand that Jesus may be addressed in prayer. My own practice is ordinarily to address prayer to the Father alone but, occasionally, to both the Father and to Jesus. I don’t recall addressing any prayers to Jesus alone but I don’t see anything wrong with doing so.

As a follower of the Messiah it would strike me as odd to not ever speak to him.

Since the Bible teaches the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer demonstrates He is the proper recipient of latreuō.
This proves He is God.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/the-trinity-made-easy.87/page-4#post-3446

Back
Top Bottom