My understanding of the Gospel—summarized

Do we have the Bible?

That's not pride.

Do we interpret it perfectly?

That can be pride.

However I would challenge you—to think about whether Paul meant "no one can have the full counsel I have preached unto you."

Seek and ye shall find.
Do we LIVE and put to practice what stands written? Or are we playing golf or sit for hours in front of the TV-wasting time?
Something to ponder and reflect upon.
Johann.

Do we LIVE and put to practice what stands written? Or are we playing golf or sit for hours in front of the TV-wasting time?
Something to ponder and reflect upon.
Johann.
I'm guilty of golf once a week and on my PC in this forum when I'm home does that count as TV wasting time :)

guilty as charged

However I would challenge you—to think about whether Paul meant "no one can have the full counsel I have preached unto you."
1. Taking In Scripture: We don't simply want to “learn” Scripture, we want to take it into ourselves, to be transformed by the Word’s of God, to have our hearts changed by Spirit of God that meets us in His Scriptures.

There are five basic ways to take in God’s Word: listen to it preached, reading it, studying it (reading with deeper reflection and utilizing resources), memorizing it, and meditating on it (contemplatively repeating to yourself). All ways are endorsed in God’s Word, and all of God’s Word is encouraged to be read, studied, and listened to (II Timothy 3:16,17).

We are to take in the Scriptures with the desire to understand, to be renewed, and to ultimately obey.2.

Taking Out Scripture: Knowing the Whole Counsel of God is kind of like riding a bike: you can read a book on how to ride a bike, but in order to know how to ride a bike, you have to get on the thing and ride it. It is the same with Scripture, until we practice following Jesus, we can’t really “know” the whole counsel of God. Follow Paul’s example and do not “shrink back” from obeying or declaring God’s Word, even the parts that seem offensive to our culture.

3. Utilizing Helpful Summaries of Scripture. The bible is a vast and complicated book. Learning helpful summaries of the narrative of Scripture is important. Here are some helpful resources that might help you get more of a handle on “The Whole Counsel of God”:

Thank God for sanctification.
J.

26 "Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men.
27 "For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.
28 "Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
29 "For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 "Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.
31 "Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.
32 "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (Acts 20:26-32 NKJ)

"For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.
For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. By which is meant, not the purposes and decrees of God, latent in his own breast, these the apostle could not declare; but his revealed will in the Gospel, concerning the salvation of men by Jesus Christ, even the whole of the Gospel, every truth and doctrine of it, necessary to salvation, and to the peace, joy, and comfort of the saints; together with all the ordinances of it, and everything that had any tendency to promote the glory of God, and the good of souls; see Luk_7:30 none of these things did the apostle withhold from the knowledge of the church at Ephesus, but freely imparted and communicated them to them;
Gill.

More simply-
For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God] The Rev. Ver. as in Act_20:20, “For I shrank not from declaring unto you the whole, &c.” The “counsel of God” means the whole plan of salvation; what God offers and what he asks of men. This includes the “repentance and faith” as well as the “grace and mercy.”
Cambridge.

ου γαρ υπεστειλαμην του μη αναγγειλαι υμιν πασαν την βουλην του θεου

shunned to declare to [them] the whole counsel of God.
i. The whole counsel of God: Paul thought of himself as a watchman, there to bring forth the whole counsel of God’s word. This doesn’t guarantee the people will be saved, but it will guarantee Paul is without guilt before God.

He has done his job!

ii. Where are those who today declare the whole counsel of God? Paul warned that in the last days, people would not endure sound doctrine, but look for teachers who would tell them what they want to hear - teachers who will scratch their itching ears (2Ti_4:3).

iii. Many preachers today simply use a Bible text as a launching pad, and then go on to say what they want - what the people want to hear. Others throw in Bible quotations to illustrate their points, or to illustrate their stories! But who will simply let the Bible speak for itself and let it declare its own power?

Taking Paul’s testimony at full strength, we must say that those preachers who deliberately fail to declare . . . the whole counsel of God are guilt of the blood of all men. The preacher who preaches what his audience wants to hear, and not the whole counsel of God, hurts both his audience and himself!

iv. We also must demand that we are being taught the whole counsel of God; not just interesting topics, not just what we want to hear, not just the things that will “grab” people, but what God says to all of our lives.

v. “That man does not preach the whole counsel of God who does not let God’s Word speak for itself in its own pure, simple language . . . He will not shirk the truth. He will dare to look at it straight in the face himself and then he will bring it up into the pulpit, and there say to it, ‘O Word, speak for thyself, and be thou heard alone. Suffer me not, O Lord, to pervert or misinterpret thine own heaven-sent truth.’” (Spurgeon)
Johann.

I recommend you be cautious in letting someone else always tell you what the Bible means.

Including me.

Take it to prayer, ask the Holy Spirit, "what does not shunning the whole counsel of God" mean?

He'll help, he promises to.

I recommend you be cautious in letting someone else always tell you what the Bible means.

Including me.

Take it to prayer, ask the Holy Spirit, "what does not shunning the whole counsel of God" mean?

I'm always cautious-wouldn't want to misrepresent the Scriptures.
And we do have the indwelling Holy Spirit to discern truth from error.
J.

Including me.

The Bible is my primary source-Utley my secondary-and he is not a "commentary"
The Ruach HaKodesh illuminates the written word and how to make it applicable in our lives-it is not a knowledge re the D'varim-but action-

Jas 2:20 Are you willing to have da'as, O hollow man, that Emunah unharnessed to Ma'asim, stands idle?

Jas 2:21 Avraham Avinu, was he not YITZDAK IM HASHEM (justified with G-d) by his ma'asim when he performed the akedah (binding) and offered up Yitzchak Bno (Isaac his son) upon the mizbe'ach? [BERESHIS 22:9,12]

Jas 2:22
Hinei! While Avraham Avinu's Emunah was working, working right alongside was Avraham Avinu's Ma'asim, and by Ma'asim the emunah was made shleimah!

Jas 2:23 And the Kitvei Hakodesh was fulfilled, Avraham Avinu V’HE'EMIN BA'HASHEM VAYACHSHEVE’HA LO TZEDAKAH ("believed Hashem and it was accounted to him for righteousness," BERESHIS 15:6). He was even called "Ohev Hashem" ("Friend of G-d"). [BERESHIS 15:6; YESHAYAH 41:8; DIVREY HAYOMIM BAIS 20:7]

Jas 2:24 You see that from Ma'asim [of Emunah] a man is YITZDAK IM HASHEM and not from [sterilely unpartnered] “Emunah” alone.
[i.e., mere intellectual assent]

We don't want that-do we? Mere accumulative head gnosis and no obedience?

Jas 2:25 And likewise also Rachav the Zonah--was she not made YITZDAK IM HASHEM from Ma'asim, having received the messengers and having sent them out a different way?
Jas 2:26 For just as the guf (body) without the neshamah is niftar (deceased, dead),
so also is Emunah without Ma'asim.

Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jas 2:22 Seest thou that faith did cooperate with his works and by works faith was made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God.
Jas 2:24 Do you see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only?
Jas 2:25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers and sending them out another way?

Jas 2:26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead: so also faith without works is dead.

But thank you
Johann.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom