Knowing God is more than knowing about God.

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
To know God is to know him as Lord and therefore to pursue knowledge of him in a godly way. As we come to know God, we recognize that he initiates our knowledge, that his Word is the ultimate authority for our knowledge, and that in knowing God we come into a personal relationship with him. Theology is the application of Scripture to all areas of human life. Exegetical, biblical, and systematic theology look at the whole Bible from various perspectives.

In John 17:3, in his prayer to the Father, Jesus says, “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.”

Eternal life, in the final analysis, is nothing more or less than knowing God. Eternal life is entering into a friendship with God, one that deepens and grows through all eternity.

He is knowable, because he reveals himself to us in his word.

To know God is to know him as Lord and therefore to pursue knowledge of him in a godly way. As we come to know God, we recognize that he initiates our knowledge, that his Word is the ultimate authority for our knowledge, and that in knowing God we come into a personal relationship with him.
I like the part of your post a personal relationship with him.

Theology and understanding about God s good and necessary. There is a grave danger I see however in knowing all about God BUT....not knowing him in personal relationship. I believe that would be called having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof. I say this sometimes.....some have as their god the the theology of the Bible. But they do not have the God of the theology. Big, big, super huge difference.

What are tips to ensure this doesn't happen. Different things. One we talk about our prayer life. One could quickly assert, "Oh yeah we need to pray!" But really though......what is it with us. Do we have an actual prayer life? When one asks this question it could come across their minds as a religious chore. Here might be a different way of saying it. What is ones communication level with God on any one given day? Would we be ashamed to acknowledge how little of that we have?

I like the part of your post a personal relationship with him.

Theology and understanding about God s good and necessary. There is a grave danger I see however in knowing all about God BUT....not knowing him in personal relationship. I believe that would be called having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof. I say this sometimes.....some have as their god the the theology of the Bible. But they do not have the God of the theology. Big, big, super huge difference.

What are tips to ensure this doesn't happen. Different things. One we talk about our prayer life. One could quickly assert, "Oh yeah we need to pray!" But really though......what is it with us. Do we have an actual prayer life? When one asks this question it could come across their minds as a religious chore. Here might be a different way of saying it. What is ones communication level with God on any one given day? Would we be ashamed to acknowledge how little of that we have?
Some people have a hard time with that one. They want a religion but not a relationship. A religion can be just certain things one believes but a personal relationship requires a few things. Christianity is not a religion; it is a relationship that God has established with His children Through Jesus Christ.

Those of us who Are blessed enough have a personal relationship with God include Him in our daily lives. We pray to Him, read His word, and meditate on verses in an effort to get to know Him even better.

Then there's the fact that we have the holy spirit dwelling inside of us who guides us in all things.

To know God is to know him as Lord and therefore to pursue knowledge of him in a godly way. As we come to know God, we recognize that he initiates our knowledge, that his Word is the ultimate authority for our knowledge, and that in knowing God we come into a personal relationship with him. Theology is the application of Scripture to all areas of human life. Exegetical, biblical, and systematic theology look at the whole Bible from various perspectives.

In John 17:3, in his prayer to the Father, Jesus says, “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.”

Eternal life, in the final analysis, is nothing more or less than knowing God. Eternal life is entering into a friendship with God, one that deepens and grows through all eternity.

Knowing God, yes, but also being known by God. If we do not come to the point where He knows us, then whether we know of Him, or think we know Him, or not is meaningless (Gal 4:8-9, Matt 7:21-23).

Knowing God, yes, but also being known by God. If we do not come to the point where He knows us, then whether we know of Him, or think we know Him, or not is meaningless (Gal 4:8-9, Matt 7:21-23).
Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.”

Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him.”

Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.”

Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him.”
Have no doubt, God knows all things and thus He knows all people. The inference in what Paul is saying is that God has relationship with those that He knows. God is everywhere, yet He says he stands at our door and knocks. If WE open the door and let Him in, He will come in and eat with us, and we with Him (Rev 3:20). Further, all of creation is His, and all of the created beings (humans and possibly angels as well) can be considered His children (Gen 6:1-4). Yet in John 1:12-13, we find that only those who receive Christ Jesus and believe (have faith) in Him receive the right to become a child of God. So then, not all who are created by God are His children, even though we are His offspring (Acts 17:28).

I agree, He knows us but we do not know him until we have that personal relationship with him. When we become that new creation described in 2 Corinthians 5:17: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”

The new creation is a wondrous thing, formed in the mind of God and created by His power and for His glory.

Since the Bible is God's Word, studying it is a way to know God better. Through His words we come to know not only the nature and attributes of God, but we also come to understand His plan for each of us. In a larger sense, we also come to know God's plan in history, His sovereignty, His providence, His love and more. There is only so much we can learn about God apart from the Bible. But with it we can know God better.

The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence of His love for us. God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. The Bible contains everything mankind needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him.

Since the Bible is God's Word, studying it is a way to know God better. Through His words we come to know not only the nature and attributes of God, but we also come to understand His plan for each of us. In a larger sense, we also come to know God's plan in history, His sovereignty, His providence, His love and more. There is only so much we can learn about God apart from the Bible. But with it we can know God better.

The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence of His love for us. God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. The Bible contains everything mankind needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him.
The way we treat the Bible is the way we treat Jesus Christ. If we ignore the Bible, we are ignoring Jesus. If we read and understand God’s Word but don’t obey it, we are disobeying Jesus. On the other hand, to love God’s Word, learn it, and live it means to love our Lord, know Him better, and introduce Him to others Correctly.

If our relationship is based on our understanding of God from scripture, does this imply that we create a god based on our own interpretation and have a discussion with him?

That's not what happened with me, but when people rely too much on the bible, it ends up leaving God out since we're not Him.

On this topic though, there are different types of knowledge in scripture, the first is the intimate kind that comes from living, the second is the kind that comes from studying.

Prayer and the Word of God must always go together. The prophet Samuel prayed for the people and taught them the Scriptures.

The apostles said, “But we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word” Acts 6:4; and Jesus promised, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you” John 15:7

The Bible in your life should be more important than food.

I have not gone back from the commandment of His lips; I have esteemed and treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.
Job 23:12.

Your words were found, and I ate them; and Your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart, for I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
Jeremiah 15:16

THEN JESUS was led (guided) by the [Holy] Spirit into the wilderness (desert) to be tempted (tested and tried) by the devil.
2 And He went without food for forty days and forty nights, and later He was hungry.
3 And the tempter came and said to Him, If You are God’s Son, command these stones to be made [loaves of] bread.
4 But He replied, It has been written, Man shall not live and be upheld and sustained by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.
Mt 4:1–4.

God's way is the way in which He expresses aspects of His nature such as righteousness and justice (Genesis 18:19). In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in 1 Kings 2:1-3, God taught how to walk in His way through His law. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know God and refuse to know Him because in 9:13, they had forsaken His law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, righteousness, and justice in all of the earth, so delighting in expressing those and other aspects of His nature through obedience to HIs law is the way to know God, which is also the way to know Jesus, who is the exact image of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3). In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, in 1 John 2:6, those who say that they know Jesus, but don't obey his commands are liars, and in 1 John 3:4-6, those who continue to practice sin in transgression of God's law have never seen nor known him. So knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3), which is also why Jesus said that obedience to God's commandment is the way to inherit eternal life (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28).

God's way is the way in which He expresses aspects of His nature such as righteousness and justice (Genesis 18:19).
'For I (God) know him (Abraham),
that he will command his children and his household after him,
and they shall keep the way of the LORD,
to do justice and judgment;
that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which He hath spoken of him.'

(Gen 18:19)
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him,
'Now therefore, I pray Thee,
if I have found grace in Thy sight,
shew me now Thy way,
that I may know Thee,
that I may find grace in Thy sight:
and consider that this nation is Thy People.'

(Exo 33:13)
and in 1 Kings 2:1-3, God taught how to walk in His way through His law.
'Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die;
and he charged Solomon his son, saying,
I go the way of all the earth:
be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God,
to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes,
.. and his commandments,
.... and his judgments,
...... and his testimonies,
as it is written in the law of Moses,
that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest,
and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:'

(1Ki 2:1-3)
In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know God and refuse to know Him because in 9:13, they had forsaken His law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, righteousness, and justice in all of the earth, so delighting in expressing those and other aspects of His nature through obedience to HIs law is the way to know God, which is also the way to know Jesus, who is the exact image of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3).
'And they bend their tongues like their bow for lies:
but they are not valiant for the truth upon the earth;
for they proceed from evil to evil,
and they know not me, saith the LORD.'

(Jer 9:3)

'But let him that glorieth glory in this,
that he understandeth and knoweth Me,
that I am the LORD
which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:
for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.'

(Jer 9:24)

'Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son,
Whom He hath appointed heir of all things,
by Whom also He made the worlds;
Who being the brightness of His glory,
and the express image of His person,
and upholding all things by the word of His power,
when He had by Himself purged our sins,
sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;'

(Heb 1:2-3)
In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them,
'Not every one that saith unto Me, "Lord, Lord,"
shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day,
"Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name?
and in thy name have cast out devils?
and in thy name done many wonderful works?"

And then will I profess unto them,
I never knew you: depart from me,
ye that work iniquity.'

(Mat 7:21-23)
in 1 John 2:6, those who say that they know Jesus, but don't obey his commands are liars,
'He that saith he abideth in Him
ought himself also so to walk,
even as He walked.'

(1Jn 2:6)
and in 1 John 3:4-6, those who continue to practice sin in transgression of God's law have never seen nor known him.
'Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:
for sin is the transgression of the law.
And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins;
and in Him is no sin.
Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not:
whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him,
neither known Him.'

(1Jn 3:4-6)
So knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3),
'And this is life eternal,
that they might know thee the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, Whom Thou hast sent.'

(Joh 17:3)
which is also why Jesus said that obedience to God's commandment is the way to inherit eternal life (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28).
'And He said unto him, Why callest thou me good?
there is none good but one, that is, God:
but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.'

(Mat 19:17)

'And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up,
and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
And He answering said,
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
.. and with all thy soul,
.... and with all thy strength,
...... and with all thy mind;
........ and thy neighbour as thyself.
And He said unto him,
Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.'

(Luk 10:25-28)

* Reading these Scriptures has a washing action upon the mind and spirit, tightening the stomach muscles, straightening the back, and bringing clarity of thought, and a straightening of the path before me. Lifting heart and mind to God. Thank you for referring to them.

* Yet how necessary it is to keep in mind the need to apply the principle of 2 Timothy 2:15, in regard to their application.

'Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.'

(2Ti 2:15)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Subject Heading:- ''Knowing God is more than knowing about God.

'... That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of glory,
may give unto you
the spirit of wisdom and revelation
in the knowledge of Him'

(Eph. 1:17)

Addressing the OP, and all the posters.
all those fine words are Good if applied. I heard one word over and over, "relationship". well what about the "Fellowship" in that "relationship?" are we viewing God from our perspective ...... only? it's evidence from all the, A. Religions and B. Denominations within those Religion out there. and a Denomination is nothing less than a persuasion. meaning, the action or fact of persuading someone or of being persuaded to do or believe something. and within that persuasion, the Denominations, they exercise of control or influence over someone or something, or the state of being so controlled, because of what they .... "BELIEVE" .... and hence, their persuasion is correct or right.

we see this control or persuasion every day, over and over. as the topic states, "Knowing God is more than knowing about God". for the Lord Jesus said, "Search the Scriptures", not just one, but all the scriptures, because all refer to him. our brother in Christ Complete said it best,
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of glory,
may give unto you
the spirit of wisdom and revelation
in the knowledge of Him'
(Eph. 1:17)

all book knowledge..... no matter how much one has is not all KNOWING about God. nor is our "relationship" to him is all knowing, but the enjoyment of the relationship, which is call "FELLOWSHIP" is. i.e. I might know what my father do...... he's a Policeman, (just for argument's sake), fine, but what do he do as a Policeman? have you and he sat down, and he told you his day to day operations? see knowing that your father is a policeman is fine, but do we know and "UNDERSTAND", what it take to be that policeman? knowing the "TITLE" is fine, but do one know and understand the "WORK" of that title? do we KNOW and UNDERSTAND the REAL POLICEMAN? not just in title only.

as said, this is why we have the "HELPER" to give us KNOWLEDGE, but also "UNDERSTANDING" of the TITLE, and it's "WORK".

God revealed something to me a LONG....... LONG .... Time ago about this scripture. 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." YES STUDY, but not to LEARN God. one study, to show God that you're interested in him and his Wordo..... and he will REVEAL HIMSELF, the REAL POLICEMAN/God, (ALL of HIM, not just in TITLE ONLY) but the TRUE GOD as to WHO, and WHAT he is. but this come in the form of Fellowship, (or the enjoyment or the ONE on ONE with our Father). one can have a father, but if there is no bond, or any fellowship in that relationship, then one just has a father. in TITLE ONLY. DEAD Fellowship hinders any progress, or enjoyment of the relationship. other words we divide wrongly, hence various beliefs and Denominations as we see today. if one thing we need to work on first is..... "Let there be no DIVISION" among us". THIS CAN BE DONE.........

please note: 101G is not against education. if one can go to a theological school of higher learning, FINE, go. just one thing. don't put your education ahead of, or before God. use your education as an Aide to help you understand God better.

good topic.

101G.

My relationship to the door is .. I am standing next to it.

If I open the door, does this become an intimate relationship?
Standing next to it describes your relative positions. Opening it is an action you take toward it. But neither describes your relationship with it. Our relationship is not with the door, but to the one to whom we open the door. If to Christ, then we receive salvation and relationship with Him. If to Satan, then we retain condemnation and eternal damnation with Him.

Standing next to it describes your relative positions. Opening it is an action you take toward it. But neither describes your relationship with it. Our relationship is not with the door, but to the one to whom we open the door. If to Christ, then we receive salvation and relationship with Him. If to Satan, then we retain condemnation and eternal damnation with Him.
That reminds me, Jesus said I am the gate. (John 10:9) So our relationship is with the door.

That reminds me, Jesus said I am the gate. (John 10:9) So our relationship is with the door.
“I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture.” John 10:9

Doors are transition points, places of decision and future change—whether big or small. When you enter through a door, you enter into someplace new. At the same time you leave the place you’ve been.

Jesus says that He is the door to salvation. A shepherd in biblical times actually slept in the one doorway to the sheep pen. In that sense he literally was the door.

Back
Top Bottom