Knowing God is more than knowing about God.

“I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture.” John 10:9

Doors are transition points, places of decision and future change—whether big or small. When you enter through a door, you enter into someplace new. At the same time you leave the place you’ve been.

Jesus says that He is the door to salvation. A shepherd in biblical times actually slept in the one doorway to the sheep pen. In that sense he literally was the door.
Present tense, is the door.

People who enter through Jesus find safe pasture.

However, if later on they enter a church and believe in a false Jesus, they find danger instead.

There can be a true restatement of the gospel as there can be a false one. Everything depends on whether the essence of the gospel is preserved or lost in the restatement. Since the incarnation of the Son of God is of the abiding essence of the gospel, the Cerinthian restatement or anything of the same general character could not be accepted as truly Christian.

For that which is known about God is evident to them and made plain in their inner consciousness, because God [Himself] has shown it to them.
20 For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification], [Ps. 19:1-4.]
21 Because when they knew and recognized Him as God, they did not honor and glorify Him as God or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and godless in their thinking [with vain imaginings, foolish reasoning, and stupid speculations] and their senseless minds were darkened.
22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves]
Ro 1:19–22.

Present tense, is the door.

People who enter through Jesus find safe pasture.

However, if later on they enter a church and believe in a false Jesus, they find danger instead.
Yes indeed that's why we don't drink the Kool-Aid. One needs to abide in Christ and be in tune with the holy spirit. Put on the whole armor of God. Understanding spiritual warfare is also a good idea.

I think a big part of knowing God is knowing how much he loves us.

The ultimate expression or consummation of God’s love is wrapped up in the phrase “eternal life.” I find that many Christians are confused about exactly what eternal life is. A large percentage of Christians would write down this answer if asked to define eternal life: what happens to a Christian after he dies.

That is not eternal life! Eternal life is something you inherit and a reality that begins the moment you believe in Jesus Christ. Eternal life has less to do with the duration of time than it does the quality of life you are living. The day I received Jesus Christ into my life by faith, my life shifted to a higher plane and my eternal life began. People used to put on tombstones “Entered into life,” followed by the date of their birth, and “Entered into eternal life …” and the date of their death. Unless they accepted Christ the day they died, like the thief on the cross, that’s a misuse of the term “eternal life.”

Jesus said in John 17:3, “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” Therefore, eternal life is knowing the true God and His Son, not the life you move into the day you die.

To know God is to know him as Lord and therefore to pursue knowledge of him in a godly way. As we come to know God, we recognize that he initiates our knowledge, that his Word is the ultimate authority for our knowledge, and that in knowing God we come into a personal relationship with him. Theology is the application of Scripture to all areas of human life. Exegetical, biblical, and systematic theology look at the whole Bible from various perspectives.

In John 17:3, in his prayer to the Father, Jesus says, “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.”

Eternal life, in the final analysis, is nothing more or less than knowing God. Eternal life is entering into a friendship with God, one that deepens and grows through all eternity.

He is knowable, because he reveals himself to us in his word.
Yes, in regard to John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent (which is an intimate, experiential knowledge, found only in a relationship). The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him and not merely theoretical knowledge.

John 14:15-31 “If you love me, you will obey my commandments. I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, who will stay with you forever. He is the Spirit, who reveals the truth about God.

What matters is the application in the end, philosophy doesn't really matter.
John 10:7 "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep."
Verse 9 "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." He is salvation, not works, not baptism, not other rituals. Jesus Himself IS salvation - there is NO other. He IS the first and the last, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. He ALONE IS the purpose and meaning of life.
Baptism does not save, rituals do not save, works do not save. We are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Last edited:
John 10:7 "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep."
Verse 9 "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." He is salvation, not works, not baptism, not other rituals. Jesus Himself IS salvation - there is NO other. He IS the first and the last, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. He ALONE IS the purpose and meaning of life.
Baptism does not save, rituals do not save, works do not save. We are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Back
Top Bottom