Jesus is the "Lord" (YHWH) in 1 Corinthians 10:26 (Psalm 24:1; cf. Deuteronomy 6:4)

Fred

1 Corinthians 10:26
for the earth is the Lord's, and all it contains.

Paul applies YHWH from Psalm 24:1 in reference to the Lord Jesus in 1 Corinthians 10:26 which demonstrates Jesus is YHWH.

When Jesus is referred to as the "Lord" in 1 Corinthians 8:6 it too is to be understood that He is YHWH. I will supply the evidence for how these two passages from 1 Corinthians relate to one another below. I will also mention other important passages which relate to the words used in these sections of Scripture.
The following will be quite detailed, and perhaps a bit choppy, but I will try to present the evidence as clear as possible.

We see that Paul speaks of the Lord Jesus in the same manner the Old Testament did in reference to YHWH and His jealousy concerning idolatry.

1 Corinthians 6:17 (the "Lord" is Jesus; cf. 6:14-15)
But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 10:22 (the "Lord" is Jesus; cf. v. 21 in which I will address further below)
Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy?
We are not stronger than He, are we?
Numbers 25:3, 11
(3) So Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the LORD was angry against Israel.
(11) Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned away My wrath from the sons of Israel in that he was jealous with My jealousy among them, so that I did not destroy the sons of Israel in My jealousy.
Psalm 106:28-29
(28) They joined themselves also to Baal-peor,
And ate sacrifices offered to the dead.
(29) Thus they provoked Him to anger with their deeds,
And the plague broke out among them.

There are 4 key words used in 1 Corinthians 8 and 1 Corinthians 10:19-29 that Paul uses in association with the worship properly due unto the Lord Jesus in contradistinction to the improper worship given unto idols. These are:
1. (the) Lord (apart from 1 Corinthians 8:5 where idols are in view, "Lord" always refers to the Lord Jesus)
2. things sacrificed to idols (or a close expression; eidōlothytos)
3. idol (eidōlon)
4. conscience (syneidēsis)

1 Corinthians 8
(1) Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.
(2) If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;
(3) but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.
(4) Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.
(5) For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,
(6) yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
(7) However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
(8) But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
(9) But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
(10) For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol’s temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
(11) For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
(12) And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
(13) Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

Notice that to sin against Christ (8:12) in relation to engaging in idolatry corresponds in the same manner to sinning against YHWH in relation to engaging in idolatry.
Exodus 23:33
They shall not live in your land, because they will make you sin against Me; for if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you.

Furthermore, in Psalm 51:4 David affirms that his sins, even the ones committed against others, were ultimately against YHWH alone. Paul affirms the same thing in 1 Corinthians 8:12 in reference to Jesus (= YHWH).

1 Corinthians 10
(19) What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything?
(20) No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons.
(21) You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.
(22) Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? We are not stronger than He, are we?
(23) All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
(24) Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.
(25) Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience' sake;
(26) for the earth is the Lord's, and all it contains. (Psalm 24:1)
(27) If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake.
(28) But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake;
(29) I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience?

The "Lord" in v. 21 refers to Jesus, and so throughout.
1 Corinthians 10:21
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons.
1 Corinthians 11:27
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.

To drink the cup of demons and to partake of the table of demons involves worshiping demons.
Likewise, to drink the cup of the Lord and to partake of the table of the Lord involves worshiping the Lord Jesus.

1 Corinthians 10:22
Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy?
We are not stronger than He, are we?
Deuteronomy 32:21
They have made Me jealous with what is not God;
They have provoked Me to anger with their idols.

Paul applies the "Lord" in v. 22 in reference to Jesus (cf. v. 21) based on a section of Scripture which contains one of the greatest proclamations of the monotheistic faith.
Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, and there is no one who can deliver from My hand.

One should not provoke the Lord Jesus to jealousy because He is a jealous God.
1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:22
(8:10) eat things sacrificed to idols
(10:22) Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? We are not stronger than He, are we?
Exodus 34:14-15
(14) for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
(15) otherwise you might make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they would play the harlot with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone might invite you to eat of his sacrifice.

Notice that what is taught concerning the Lord, jealousy, and idolatry are so important that they are included in the Ten Commandments.
Deuteronomy 5:6-9
(6) I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
(7) You shall have no other gods before Me.
(8) You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
(9) You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me.

The very next chapter continues with this teaching...

Deuteronomy 6:4-5, 13-15
(4) Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!
(5) You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
(14) You shall not follow other gods, any of the gods of the peoples who surround you,
(13) You shall fear only the Lord your God; and you shall worship Him and swear by His name.
(15) for the LORD your God in the midst of you is a jealous God; otherwise the anger of the LORD your God will be kindled against you, and He will wipe you off the face of the earth.

The one Lord who is a jealous God, is differentiated from all creation (potential idols) in that He alone is to be worshiped. Since what is said of Him is EQUALLY used in reference to the Lord Jesus demonstrates Jesus (not any idol) is to be worshiped as being YHWH.

- For Deuteronomy 6:13 and how this passage also demonstrates the Lord Jesus is God, see here:
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/the-trinity-made-easy.87/page-4#post-3446

Last edited:
@Fred excellent study, you have taught me some things today and I appreciate it my friend. Great job with the scriptures.

All for His glory.

Many who deny the Lord Jesus is God will refer to 1 Corinthians 8:6, but fail to realize that Jesus being "Lord" in this passage connects with Him being "Lord" several times in 1 Corinthians 10 which proves He is YHWH.

GINOLJC, to all,
JESUS is LORD, Lord, and lord in the ECHAD. so what is the difference.

LORD: Spirit, Ordinal First, CREATOR, and MAKER of ALL THINGS. title, Father. Root, Alpha, beginning, First.

Lord: in human flesh, and (glorified flesh), spirit, (notice spirt, small case in "s"). Ordinal Last, REDEEMER and SAVIOUR of ALL THINGS, that he as Ordinal FIRST CREATED and MADE. title, Son, Offspring, Omega, end, Last.

lord: in human flesh only, MASTER. prophet, teacher.... ect. while on earth in human flesh.

101G.

to all trinitarians,

to prove that Jesus is both "Lord" and "LORD", the same one person. take the Psalms 110:1 test. Psalms 110:1 "A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool."

and the Lord who is at the right of the "LORD", is it not his OWN ARM? per Isaiah 63:5. Psalms 110:5 "The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath."

and Lord here is H136 אֲדֹנָי 'Adonay (ad-o-noy') n-m.
1. (meaning) Lord (used as a proper name of God only).
2. (person) Adonai, The Lord God of Israel (which is actually “Yahweh God of Israel” - see Exodus 5:1 and 120 other occurrences).
[am emphatic form of H113]

KJV: (my) Lord.
Root(s): H113

the emphatic form of H113, which is Lord in verse 1. BINGO the same one person. the "LORD" is the "Lord" in FLESH, hence the reason why it is rendered "lord" but the KJV "Lord", because of the Spirit in that flesh, diversified.

101G

if you did not understand 101G, listen, Jesus the Christ ... CREATED, and MADE, nothing, but Jesus did.... (smile), see the difference?

No, because you need to explain how a person is to understand that when they read GINOLJCH.

Is GINOLJC a secret code to something?
did 101G tell you that it's a general greeting? no secret code.
No, because it is still Jesus who did it.

So perhaps others can spot the difference, but I can't.
christ is flesh bone and blood. so, was flesh bone and blood at the beginning to create anything or made anything?...... no

101G.

the scriptures

Staying with what Paul wrote to the Corinthians, we see that he informed them of his repetitious prayers to the Lord Jesus.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
(8) Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.
(9) And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
(10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

The same "Lord" to whom Paul addressed in prayer three times in v. 8 responds to Paul in v. 9 (cf. "And He said to me").

Grace
When Paul associates "grace" with the "Lord" elsewhere in 2 Corinthians it is always in reference to the Lord Jesus.
2 Corinthians 1:2
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 8:9
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 13:14
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

Power
The power spoken of by the Lord in response to Paul's prayer refers to the power of Christ (verse 9).
When Paul links "power" with the "Lord" in his first letter to the Corinthians, the "Lord" refers to the Lord Jesus.
1 Corinthians 5:4
In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and I with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus.

The above refutes both sets of Unitarians who deny the Lord Jesus is God.
1. If they claim Jesus is not to be prayed to, then 2 Corinthians 12:8 disproves their false claim.
2. Others may claim Jesus can be prayed to (as is the case here), but this doesn't prove He is God. This has already been disproven here:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom