He that believes and is not water baptised is saved

Repentance is for the remission of sin

Luke 24:47 (UASV) — 47 and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
Thank you for that verse. Now, when it began in Jerusalem, how was remission of sins introduced?…
37 …They asked Peter and the rest of the apostles men and brother and what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said, repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins….

Now, do you see what just happened?

Did the new testament church start before Matthew chapter 16?
It started when Jesus assembled with the disciples. As the Head of the first local NT church. When He chose them. Matthew 16:18 is a church He would continue to build. And it is local and visible.. because that is what it is in Matthew 18:20.

It started when Jesus assembled with the disciples. As the Head of the first local NT church. When He chose them. Matthew 16:18 is a church He would continue to build. And it is local and visible.. because that is what it is in Matthew 18:20.
In Matthew 16 he said he will future tense build his church. That means his church wasn’t built yet.

Thank you for that verse. Now, when it began in Jerusalem, how was remission of sins introduced?…
37 …They asked Peter and the rest of the apostles men and brother and what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said, repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins….

Now, do you see what just happened?
It goes back long before that

Acts 10:43 (KJV 1900) — 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

It goes back long before that

Acts 10:43 (KJV 1900) — 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Thank you for the verse. The same person that spoke in Acts 2 spoke in Acts 10. Did he change his mind per the remission of sins? Or, did he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord?
Are you horrible at puzzles or something?

Thank you for the verse. The same person that spoke in Acts 2 spoke in Acts 10. Did he change his mind per the remission of sins? Or, did he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord?
Are you horrible at puzzles or something?
The issue is repentance and remission of sin

From both we get the belief repentance provides for remission of sin

Isaiah 55:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts: And let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; And to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

The issue is repentance and remission of sin

From both we get the belief repentance provides for remission of sin

Isaiah 55:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts: And let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; And to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

all who repent receive remission of sin

Tom, you’re like a broken record. Read the rest of Acts 10. Read all the way to the last verse. Then tell me they were not baptized in the name of the Lord for the remission of sins. You just think by the blink of an eye you can get remission of sins without doing a thing. Come on Tom.

This is easy believism in a nutshell…

I think I believe in Jesus… Boom! remission of sins.… Lol

Mind over matter gives us remission of sins… Lol

Tom, you’re like a broken record. Read the rest of Acts 10. Read all the way to the last verse. Then tell me they were not baptized in the name of the Lord for the remission of sins. You just think by the blink of an eye you can get remission of sins without doing a thing. Come on Tom.
And you are a denier of scripture

Deniers of scripture will not be allowed to escape from the scriptures they deny

PS the Acts 10 ending does not help you

Acts 10:47–48 (KJV 1900) — 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

as they had remission of sin salvation and the indwelling Spirit before water baptism

Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is specifically for the remission of sins. That’s what it says. That is how you get eternal life. You have to have remission of sins. You can’t take your sins with you into eternal life. It’s just not gonna work.
For remission of sins is better understood because of remission of sins. Jesus blood gives forgiveness of sins Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Christ death took away or purged away the sins of them He died for and then sat down at the right hand of God having finished that work Heb 1:3
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

For remission of sins is better understood because of remission of sins. Jesus blood gives forgiveness of sins Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Christ death took away or purged away the sins of them He died for and then sat down at the right hand of God having finished that work Heb 1:3
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:
Again Christ died for all

2 Corinthians 5:14–15 (UASV) — 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one died for all; as a result all died; 15 and he died for all, that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for him who died and rose again on their behalf.

This explain the external sign of baptism.

When God enters into covenants with His people, making promises of redemption to them, His pattern is to attest to the authenticity of the covenant by giving some kind of external sign. For instance, when He promised Noah that He would never destroy the world again through a flood, God set His bow in the sky. That bow was a visible sign that confirmed the promise of God for the future of this planet. He was saying that every time we see a rainbow, we should be reminded that God has promised never to destroy the world again with a flood.

In a similar manner, after instituting His covenant with Abraham, God gave Abraham and his descendants a sign of their membership in the covenant: circumcision. This sign had a dual significance. On the one hand, the cutting of the foreskin was a sign that God was saying, “I am cutting you out from the rest of fallen humanity and consecrating you as a nation to Myself.” At the same time, the sign was a testimony by the people, saying, as it were, “O God, if I fail to keep the terms of this covenant, if I fail to be faithful to You in this covenant relationship, may I be cut off from all of the benefits of Your covenant promises.” So circumcision symbolized both the blessings and the curses of God’s covenant with Abraham.
The rite of circumcision was given for all generations of Israelites as the sign of the old covenant. That’s why, if we were to ask a Jew to identify the sign of God’s covenant with His people, he would say that the sign is circumcision.

Just as circumcision was the sign of the old covenant, baptism is the sign of the new covenant. In a very real way, what circumcision was to the Old Testament, baptism is for the New Testament. We see this close connection in Paul’s letter to the Colossians. He writes:

For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. Colossians 2:9–15

Paul here tells a body of Gentile believers who have received New Testament baptism that those who are believers have received an internal circumcision. They have a circumcision of the heart, so it is proper and appropriate for them to have the sign of the new covenant, which points beyond itself to all of the benefits of Christ.

R. C. Sproul, What Is Baptism?

Last edited:
When God enters into covenants with His people, making promises of redemption to them, His pattern is to attest to the authenticity of the covenant by giving some kind of external sign. For instance, when He promised Noah that He would never destroy the world again through a flood, God set His bow in the sky. That bow was a visible sign that confirmed the promise of God for the future of this planet. He was saying that every time we see a rainbow, we should be reminded that God has promised never to destroy the world again with a flood.
In a similar manner, after instituting His covenant with Abraham, God gave Abraham and his descendants a sign of their membership in the covenant: circumcision. This sign had a dual significance. On the one hand, the cutting of the foreskin was a sign that God was saying, “I am cutting you out from the rest of fallen humanity and consecrating you as a nation to Myself.” At the same time, the sign was a testimony by the people, saying, as it were, “O God, if I fail to keep the terms of this covenant, if I fail to be faithful to You in this covenant relationship, may I be cut off from all of the benefits of Your covenant promises.” So circumcision symbolized both the blessings and the curses of God’s covenant with Abraham.
The rite of circumcision was given for all generations of Israelites as the sign of the old covenant. That’s why, if we were to ask a Jew to identify the sign of God’s covenant with His people, he would say that the sign is circumcision.
Just as circumcision was the sign of the old covenant, baptism is the sign of the new covenant. In a very real way, what circumcision was to the Old Testament, baptism is for the New Testament. We see this close connection in Paul’s letter to the Colossians. He writes:

For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. (2:9–15)

Paul here tells a body of Gentile believers who have received New Testament baptism that those who are believers have received an internal circumcision. They have a circumcision of the heart, so it is proper and appropriate for them to have the sign of the new covenant, which points beyond itself to all of the benefits of Christ.

R. C. Sproul, What Is Baptism?
I agree water baptism is a sign, but I do not think circumcision or baptism here are physical but spiritual. The circumcision without hands is clearly a spiritual operation, not physical which sets the contexts

I agree water baptism is a sign, but I do not think circumcision or baptism here are physical but spiritual. The circumcision without hands is clearly a spiritual operation, not physical which sets the contexts
What you're saying and it makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom