Hallowed Be Thy Name

Really civic. You are kidding right? What, Phil 2:9-11 is referenced in Isaiah 45: 21:24 and Paul is saying Jesus is YHWH. Oh enough man. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You know you need to really explain yourself here civic else you writings are totally insane and worthless to me.
Even though I believe unitarianism to be wrong I'm not going to insult you by saying its insanity and worthless. Your beliefs are of value to you for a reason just the same as mine have worth to me. I may think the way you defend your position is not valid but I'm not going to insult you. We can discuss our differences in a better way than this don't you think ?

It's part of our human nature to respond to personal attacks with sadness, anger, or bitterness, these feelings are part of our fallen humanity. They are not fruits of the Holy Spirit. We are all called to bear our injuries with joy, patience, love, and gentleness.

Count it all joy! :love:

What is your explanation for why the Apostles did not record baptizing this way one time but only in Jesus’ name?

Even earlier in the Book of Matthew he presents the gospel being done in Christ's name.
Not really an explanation for why the Apostles did not record baptizing this way one time but only in Jesus’ name.

I understand it is difficult process Biblical facts that undermine your false doctrine.

It's part of our human nature to respond to personal attacks with sadness, anger, or bitterness, these feelings are part of our fallen humanity. They are not fruits of the Holy Spirit. We are all called to bear our injuries with joy, patience, love, and gentleness.

Count it all joy! :love:
Amen !

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. Proverbs 18:21

This scripture clearly says that death and life are in the words we speak. It's so important that we learn to control our mouths, but we need to make sure we do it the right way.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. Proverbs 18:21

This scripture clearly says that death and life are in the words we speak. It's so important that we learn to control our mouths, but we need to make sure we do it the right way.
When threads start to deteriorate into the personal side these days I usually opt out of that thread. Once upon a time I like that type of bickering and way of interacting but no so much anymore. Once in a while I find myself wanting to retaliate but I know thats the old man ( my flesh, carnal nature) that wants to do that and I have to keep that in check. I'm naturally wired to get back, even, take it to the next level, try and frustrate the other person, humiliate them etc.... That is my natural bent or tendency. I've been that way since my teens and I'm in my 60's now. As a former athlete I was wired to be competitive, get into peoples domes, play mind games and get any advantage I could gain to get the opponent off their game. So that was a hard habit to break and I just recently in the past couple of years can claim to have many victories in that area of my life but only because God has convicted me and I have listened. Also having a forum has helped me to think about things differently now. I also have accountability daily with the @Administrator and have asked him to keep me in check with my attitude and to let me know when he sees me up to my old tricks. We talk about this on a regular basis and I listen to his advice. My desire is to honor Christ here and not for my own wants/desires.

Even though I believe unitarianism to be wrong I'm not going to insult you by saying its insanity and worthless. Your beliefs are of value to you for a reason just the same as mine have worth to me. I may think the way you defend your position is not valid but I'm not going to insult you. We can discuss our differences in a better way than this don't you think ?
Ok, you need to be responsible for your own writings and show your work as they used to say at school. Explain yourself else any mature adult believer may say even more about your writing to a post like I responded to,

I hope you understand this is never personal with me. It is about the truth, facts and explanations. And you are in need all three, imo.

You know your famous Great Commission Trinitarian Baptist statement is a hoax right. Those words were added in later to support the Trinity by Trinitarian powers of the press. They are not a part of the original text.

I can elaborate on this is you want. I call 'em how I see 'em...no bias at all here mate.
@synergy Save you some time for researching this subject....here's a decent explanation to go on...I wrote this a few years back....would have taken time to respond to some this subject of yours with an explanation if I had not had this ready to go....
//--------------------
The 11 disciples went to the designated mountain and saw Jesus there. Some still did not believe him, who he was, the Son of God, although they gave him reverence and most probably, they all bowed down before him. Jesus said in verse 18, that all authority is given to him by the Father, on the earth and in heaven. So, all of them must now make disciples of all nations being baptized in his spirit, given by the Father through his own Holy Spirit. They needed to teach them all the things Jesus instructed them to know and heed. He finally said he would be always with them, (and every believer), as he would be in their hearts always (Matt 18:20).

Lacking the spiritual understanding and guidance of the Spirit of God, concerning the spirit of Christ, Trinitarian translators modified verse 19b to mean all believers are baptized in their triune god – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Their own created version is not in any original pre-300 AD manuscript including any Hebrew translation (New Revised Standard Version 1989). Scripture tells us that we are saved by being baptized in the spirit of Christ only, which is a part of the Holy Spirit, given by the Father, who is one, the only one God, the Almighty. Not of a triune god!

Additionally, scripture only supports the baptism in Jesus Christ, the Lord Jesus, his spirit only, in his name. It is cited in Luke 24:46-47; John 20:31; Romans 1:4-5; Acts 2:21, 2:38; 3:6, 4:10, 8:12, 8:16, 9:27, 9:29, 10:48, 16:31, 19:5, 19:17, 22:14-16.

There are dozens of sources pointing to the same conclusion, that Matthew 28:19b is not in the original language text and inserted into scripture later, deliberately to somehow support the Trinity.

Here are some few examples:

The Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics states, ‘..and the triune formula is a later addition.’

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, Page 295 states, “The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.”

Theophilus of Antioch first used the term Trias about 180 AD, according to the Hastings Dictionary of the Bible 1963, page 1015.

The New Revised Standard Version Bible says that ‘Modern critics claim this formula is falsely ascribed to Jesus and that it represents later (Catholic) church tradition, for nowhere in the book of Acts (or any other book of the Bible) is baptism performed with the name of the Trinity..”

The Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger says “the basic form of our profession of faith took shape during the course of the second and third centuries in the connection with the ceremony of baptism. As far as its place of origin is concerned, the text (Matt 28:19) came from the city of Rome.” (XVI 2004)

Consequence of this fabrication: One must be repentant and baptized, bathed or immersed into Christ only, not into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The former receives the spirit of Truth, the latter does not and is not converted. One is repentant and believe they have also been crucified in their sins as Christ (who was sinless), not by a crucified Father, and his own Holy Spirit.

As Galatians 3:27 states, “..who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourself with Christ.” We are never spiritually clothed or immersed into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit! That would be nonsense.

More source that says Matt 28:19 is a forgery.

The Roman Catholics say, "The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.

@synergy Save you some time for researching this subject....here's a decent explanation to go on...I wrote this a few years back....would have taken time to respond to some this subject of yours with an explanation if I had not had this ready to go....
//--------------------
The 11 disciples went to the designated mountain and saw Jesus there. Some still did not believe him, who he was, the Son of God, although they gave him reverence and most probably, they all bowed down before him. Jesus said in verse 18, that all authority is given to him by the Father, on the earth and in heaven. So, all of them must now make disciples of all nations being baptized in his spirit, given by the Father through his own Holy Spirit. They needed to teach them all the things Jesus instructed them to know and heed. He finally said he would be always with them, (and every believer), as he would be in their hearts always (Matt 18:20).

Lacking the spiritual understanding and guidance of the Spirit of God, concerning the spirit of Christ, Trinitarian translators modified verse 19b to mean all believers are baptized in their triune god – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Their own created version is not in any original pre-300 AD manuscript including any Hebrew translation (New Revised Standard Version 1989). Scripture tells us that we are saved by being baptized in the spirit of Christ only, which is a part of the Holy Spirit, given by the Father, who is one, the only one God, the Almighty. Not of a triune god!
Where is the evidence that Matt 28:19 was revised?

What exactly does the Hebrew translation of Matthew, known as “Shem Tob”, actually say? Mind telling us how those exact words help your case?
Additionally, scripture only supports the baptism in Jesus Christ, the Lord Jesus, his spirit only, in his name. It is cited in Luke 24:46-47; John 20:31; Romans 1:4-5; Acts 2:21, 2:38; 3:6, 4:10, 8:12, 8:16, 9:27, 9:29, 10:48, 16:31, 19:5, 19:17, 22:14-16.
If Matt 28:19 was never changed then there is no contradiction. It's on Jesus Christ's authority, by virtue of the Cross, that we are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. The onus is still on you to prove that Matt 28:19 was changed.
There are dozens of sources pointing to the same conclusion, that Matthew 28:19b is not in the original language text and inserted into scripture later, deliberately to somehow support the Trinity.

Here are some few examples:

The Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics states, ‘..and the triune formula is a later addition.’

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, Page 295 states, “The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.”

Theophilus of Antioch first used the term Trias about 180 AD, according to the Hastings Dictionary of the Bible 1963, page 1015.

The New Revised Standard Version Bible says that ‘Modern critics claim this formula is falsely ascribed to Jesus and that it represents later (Catholic) church tradition, for nowhere in the book of Acts (or any other book of the Bible) is baptism performed with the name of the Trinity..”

The Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger says “the basic form of our profession of faith took shape during the course of the second and third centuries in the connection with the ceremony of baptism. As far as its place of origin is concerned, the text (Matt 28:19) came from the city of Rome.” (XVI 2004)
There was no Catholic Church during those years. Someone has flunked history.
Consequence of this fabrication: One must be repentant and baptized, bathed or immersed into Christ only, not into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The former receives the spirit of Truth, the latter does not and is not converted. One is repentant and believe they have also been crucified in their sins as Christ (who was sinless), not by a crucified Father, and his own Holy Spirit.
Says who? You?
As Galatians 3:27 states, “..who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourself with Christ.” We are never spiritually clothed or immersed into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit! That would be nonsense.

More source that says Matt 28:19 is a forgery.

The Roman Catholics say, "The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.
Early manuscript evidence is that Matthew 28:19 is found in the earliest extant manuscripts of the Gospel of Matthew, including the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus, which date back to the 4th century. These manuscripts are considered reliable and provide strong evidence for the inclusion of the verse in the original text.

The practice of baptizing new believers in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit aligns with the early Christian tradition. The Trinitarian formula reflected in Matthew 28:19 is consistent with the beliefs and practices of the early church, which strengthens the argument for its authenticity.

Matthew 28:19 is referenced and quoted by early Christian authors and theologians, such as Eusebius of Caesarea and Irenaeus of Lyons. These references suggest that the verse was recognized and accepted as part of the Gospel of Matthew in the early centuries of Christianity.

What exactly does the Hebrew translation of Matthew, known as “Shem Tob”, actually say? Mind telling us how those exact words help your case?

If Matt 28:19 was never changed then there is no contradiction. It's on Jesus Christ's authority, by virtue of the Cross, that we are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. The onus is still on you to prove that Matt 28:19 was changed.

There was no Catholic Church during those years. Someone has flunked history.

Says who? You?

Early manuscript evidence is that Matthew 28:19 is found in the earliest extant manuscripts of the Gospel of Matthew, including the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus, which date back to the 4th century. These manuscripts are considered reliable and provide strong evidence for the inclusion of the verse in the original text.

The practice of baptizing new believers in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit aligns with the early Christian tradition. The Trinitarian formula reflected in Matthew 28:19 is consistent with the beliefs and practices of the early church, which strengthens the argument for its authenticity.

Matthew 28:19 is referenced and quoted by early Christian authors and theologians, such as Eusebius of Caesarea and Irenaeus of Lyons. These references suggest that the verse was recognized and accepted as part of the Gospel of Matthew in the early centuries of Christianity.
Well I see as usually is the case I have to show you more evidence as if what you think is already edged in stone, rather than you show me yours as your proof, and you don't have any.

Now if you did not know before, there are no actual pre 400 era manuscripts of Matthew. They were burned and/or the originals never had the last few verses in text in the first place. The next best witness is the person that knew of, saw, read and had copies of the original(s).

May I present this man...

The Evidence of Eusebius:

Eusebius Pamphili, or Eusebius of Caesarea was born about 270 A.D. and died about 340 A.D.

Eusebius was an eyewitness of an unaltered Book of Matthew that was likely an early copy near to the original Matthew.

Eusebius quotes the early book of Matthew that he had in his library in Caesarea. Eusebius informs us of Jesus’ actual words to his disciples in the original text of Matthew 28:19: “With one word and voice He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all nations in My Name, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.

The MSS which Eusebius inherited from his predecessor, Pamphilus, at Caesarea in Palestine, some at least preserved the original reading, in which there was no mention either of Baptism or of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.” It is evident that this was the text found by Eusebius in the very ancient codices collected fifty to a hundred and fifty years before his birth by his great predecessors (F.C. Conybeare, Hibbert Journal, 1902, p 105)

Quotes from Eusebius

Proof of the Gospel (the Demonstratio Evangelica), 300-336 AD

Book III, Chapter 7, 136 (a-d), p. 157

“But while the disciples of Jesus were most likely either saying thus, or thinking thus, the master solved their difficulties, by the addition of one phrase, saying they should triumph “In my name.” And the power of His name being so great, that the apostle says: “God has given him a name which is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth,” He shewed the virtue of the power in His Name concealed from the crowd when He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all the nations in my name.” He also most accurately forecasts the future when He says: “for this gospel must first be preached to all the world, for a witness to all nations.”

Book III, Chapter 6, 132 (a), p. 152

With one word and voice He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all the nations in my name, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you,” …

Book III, Chapter 7, 138 (c), p. 159

I am irresistibly forced to retrace my steps, and search for their cause, and to confess that they could only have succeeded in their daring venture, by a power more divine, and more strong than man’s and by the co-operation of Him Who said to them; “Make disciples of all the nations in my name.”

Book IX, Chapter 11, 445 (c), p. 175

And He bids His own disciples after their rejection, “Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in my name.”

So where is your evidence to the contrary of the Trinity formula?

I already presented the evidence twice. The Apostles never followed it. Therefore, there is only 1 of 2 possible explanations.
  1. The Apostles, who choose death over denying Christ, disobeyed the Risen Lord.
  2. Matt 28:19 was not what Jesus said but to baptize in his name, which is the only way the Apostles baptize in Scripture.

Well I see as usually is the case I have to show you more evidence as if what you think is already edged in stone, rather than you show me yours as your proof, and you don't have any.

Now if you did not know before, there are no actual pre 400 era manuscripts of Matthew. They were burned and/or the originals never had the last few verses in text in the first place. The next best witness is the person that knew of, saw, read and had copies of the original(s).

May I present this man...

The Evidence of Eusebius:

Eusebius Pamphili, or Eusebius of Caesarea was born about 270 A.D. and died about 340 A.D.

Eusebius was an eyewitness of an unaltered Book of Matthew that was likely an early copy near to the original Matthew.

Eusebius quotes the early book of Matthew that he had in his library in Caesarea. Eusebius informs us of Jesus’ actual words to his disciples in the original text of Matthew 28:19: “With one word and voice He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all nations in My Name, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.

The MSS which Eusebius inherited from his predecessor, Pamphilus, at Caesarea in Palestine, some at least preserved the original reading, in which there was no mention either of Baptism or of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.” It is evident that this was the text found by Eusebius in the very ancient codices collected fifty to a hundred and fifty years before his birth by his great predecessors (F.C. Conybeare, Hibbert Journal, 1902, p 105)

Quotes from Eusebius

Proof of the Gospel (the Demonstratio Evangelica), 300-336 AD

Book III, Chapter 7, 136 (a-d), p. 157

“But while the disciples of Jesus were most likely either saying thus, or thinking thus, the master solved their difficulties, by the addition of one phrase, saying they should triumph “In my name.” And the power of His name being so great, that the apostle says: “God has given him a name which is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth,” He shewed the virtue of the power in His Name concealed from the crowd when He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all the nations in my name.” He also most accurately forecasts the future when He says: “for this gospel must first be preached to all the world, for a witness to all nations.”

Book III, Chapter 6, 132 (a), p. 152

With one word and voice He said to His disciples: “Go, and make disciples of all the nations in my name, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you,” …

Book III, Chapter 7, 138 (c), p. 159

I am irresistibly forced to retrace my steps, and search for their cause, and to confess that they could only have succeeded in their daring venture, by a power more divine, and more strong than man’s and by the co-operation of Him Who said to them; “Make disciples of all the nations in my name.”

Book IX, Chapter 11, 445 (c), p. 175

And He bids His own disciples after their rejection, “Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in my name.”
As a historian, Eusebius tended to paraphrase or abbreviate the text. He did so with Phil 2:9. In his Demonstratio Evangelica, Eusebius also purportedly “quoted” Philippians 2:9. He wrote:
“God bestowed on him the name above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee shall bow of things in heaven and on earth and under the earth.”
However, the actual text is much longer:
“Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth.”
Or what about his shorter version of Luke 3:19,20?
“adding to all the evil deeds which he had done, shut up John in prison” (Eusebius, Book III, ch. 24.10)
But the actual texts said:
“But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip’s wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done, Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.”
So if you want to treat his version of Matt 28:19 as the correct one, then you must be consistent and treat his version of Phil 2:9; Luke 3:19,20; etc... also as the correct ones. Are you up to that challenge of changing dozens of verses as a sacrifice to your unitarian God?

The truth of the matter is that when Eusebius did write about theology and not history, he more accurately quoted Scripture:
“What was transacted concerning ecclesiastical faith at the Great Council assembled at Nicæa, you have probably learned, Beloved, from other sources, rumour being wont to precede the accurate account of what is doing. But lest in such reports the circumstances of the case have been misrepresented, we have been obliged to transmit to you, first, the formula of faith presented by ourselves, and next, the second, which [the Fathers] put forth with some additions to our words. Our own paper, then, which was read in the presence of our most pious Emperor, and declared to be good and unexceptionable, ran thus:—
“As we have received from the Bishops who preceded us, and in our first catechisings, and when we received the Holy Laver, AND AS WE HAVE LEARNED FROM THE DIVINE SCRIPTURES, and AS WE BELIEVED AND TAUGHT in the presbytery, and in the Episcopate itself, so believing also at the time present, we report to you our faith, and it is this :”—
“We believe in One God, the Father Almighty, the Maker of all things visible and invisible. And in One Lord Jesus Christ, the Word of God, God from God, Light from Light, Life from Life, Son Only-begotten, first-born of every creature, before all the ages, begotten from the Father, by whom also all things were made; who for our salvation was made flesh, and lived among men, and suffered, and rose again the third day, and ascended to the Father, and will come again in glory to judge quick and dead. And we believe also in One Holy Ghost; believing each of These to be and to exist, the Father truly Father, and the Son truly Son, and the Holy Ghost truly Holy Ghost, as also our Lord, sending forth His disciples for the preaching, said, ‘GO, TEACH ALL NATIONS, BAPTIZING THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY GHOST,'” (Eusebius’ Letter to the Church in Caesarea to the people of his Diocese; June, 325)
So where is your evidence to the contrary of the Trinity formula?
You like to quote ancient text. Let's look at the Didache, which included the Trinitarian baptismal formula of Matthew 28:19, set in the first century or even before that. So how could the Matt 28:19 Trinitarian baptismal formula be incorrect when it was already there in the first century? Here is what was stated in the Didache:
“After the foregoing instructions, BAPTIZE IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, in living [running] water. If you have no living water, then baptize in other water, and if you are not able in cold
, then in warm. If you have neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Before baptism, let the one baptizing and the one to be baptized fast, as also any others who are able. Command the one who is to be baptized to fast beforehand for one or two days.” (Didache 7:1)

I already presented the evidence twice. The Apostles never followed it. Therefore, there is only 1 of 2 possible explanations.
  1. The Apostles, who choose death over denying Christ, disobeyed the Risen Lord.
  2. Matt 28:19 was not what Jesus said but to baptize in his name, which is the only way the Apostles baptize in Scripture.
Sorry to rain on your parade but we have 1st century manuscripts that include the Trinitarian baptismal instructions. This is the 1st century manuscripts called the Didache:
“After the foregoing instructions, BAPTIZE IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, in living [running] water. If you have no living water, then baptize in other water, and if you are not able in cold
, then in warm. If you have neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Before baptism, let the one baptizing and the one to be baptized fast, as also any others who are able. Command the one who is to be baptized to fast beforehand for one or two days.” (Didache 7:1)

Therefore, since Matt 28:19 was never changed then there is no contradiction. It's on Jesus Christ's authority, by virtue of the Cross, that we are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. The onus was on you to prove that Matt 28:19 was changed and you failed miserably.

Sorry to rain on your parade but we have 1st century manuscripts that include the Trinitarian baptismal instructions. This is the 1st century manuscripts called the Didache:
I see. What the Apostles did in Scripture matters not. It's the Didache that is the authority.

I see. What the Apostles did in Scripture matters not. It's the Didache that is the authority.
Therefore, since Matt 28:19 was never changed then it remains the authority as recording the exact words of Jesus. Furthermore, also there is no contradiction. It's on Jesus Christ's authority, by virtue of the Cross, that we are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. The onus was on you to prove that Matt 28:19 was changed and you failed miserably.

Therefore, since Matt 28:19 was never changed
Wrong. Repeating yourself without answering questions shows your position cannot hold up to scrutiny. What is your explanation, disobedient Apostles of Matt 28:19 was changed?

Wrong. Repeating yourself without answering questions shows your position cannot hold up to scrutiny. What is your explanation, disobedient Apostles of Matt 28:19 was changed?
The onus was on you to prove that Matt 28:19 was changed and you failed miserably.

Back
Top Bottom