Christian Cults

Theophilus

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.” You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. Matthew 24:3-8

Jesus told His disciples that His coming would be in the midst of a time when many false Christs would be deceiving many people. Yet many people are still asking that same question today: How are we to know when Jesus Christ will return? What will be the signs of the second coming? The number of modern day calls in their acceptance just might be a clue.

First, let’s define what is meant by the word cult. According to Dr. Charles S. Braden, “A cult … is any religious group which differs significantly in some one or more respects as to belief or practice from those religious groups which are regarded as the normative expressions of religion in our total culture.” Historically in Western civilization, the “normative expression of religion” has been Christianity. So Christians identify a cult more precisely as a group “which surrounds a leader or a group of teachings which either denies or misinterprets essential biblical doctrine.”

The two most common teachings of Christian cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in the view that Jesus’ death was insufficient to pay for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in the teaching that salvation is achieved by our own works.

Some cult groups claim to be Christian, yet deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. They do believe in many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as cults.

They also come up with some extremely weird and dangerous teachings.

The bottom line is for a Christians, a cult can be defined as a perversion of biblical Christianity.

The most significant departure from Christianity that all cults are guilty of is rejecting Jesus Christ as God. No cult confesses Jesus as the Son of God, the second person in the triune Godhead, eternally coequal in essence, power, and authority with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

The Jesus of the cults is far removed from the holy Son of God revealed in Scripture. Members of the Unification Church, for example, view Jesus as a man whom people not only can equal, but also can surpass. The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ Jesus is a unique, but still created, lesser god. To the Mormons, Jesus is the spirit brother of Lucifer. Christian Science speaks of Jesus as a human being who demonstrated “Christness” or the “divine idea,” but He is not the resurrected Son of God.

Any person or religious organization that denies Jesus as the Son of God as revealed in the Bible is forever separated from Christianity.

4 For if some one comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough.
2 Cor. 11:4...
13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
2 Co 11:13

8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed
Galatians 1:8

All cults reject the Jesus of Scripture. On this evidence alone, no cult belongs in the Christian family. If Jesus is who He claims to be, fully God and fully human—, the cults are wrong and are not Christian.

22 Who is [such a] liar as he who denies that Jesus is the Christ (the Messiah)? He is the antichrist (the antagonist of Christ), who [habitually] denies and refuses to acknowledge the Father and the Son.
1 John 2:22

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.” You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. Matthew 24:3-8

Jesus told His disciples that His coming would be in the midst of a time when many false Christs would be deceiving many people.

It seems very important to get the foundation of Jesus' warnings correct.

Matt. 24: 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.5 For many shall come "in my name", saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

It doesn't make sense that there would be "Many" men who claim they are Jesus, the prophesied Messiah. But my understanding is based on other Words of this same Christ as well.

Matt. 7: 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So this is speaking to the end when "Every knee shall bow" and we will see the Christ Jesus face to face. These "many" are not claiming to be the Messiah, but they certainly came in Christ's Name teaching that Jesus was Lord (Christ), and were teaching in His Name.

Paul also understood this as I do, and this can be seen in his teaching to the Corinthians.

2 Cor. 11: 12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

Again, Paul doesn't warn about men who claim to be the Messiah, rather, of men who claim the Messiah sent them, which of course is what an "Apostle of Christ" would teach.

Jesus does speak of "False Christ's" and I see images of Christ in the likeness of some random handsome long-haired man all over the place. I see movies and pictures of a Jesus promoted daily. Clearly these images are not Christ, and we are commanded not to create such images. No doubt they are "false Christs".

So how one understands Jesus' Warnings, impacts how we see the rest of the Scriptures. If we are waiting for "many" men to claim they are the Prophesied Messiah, we are still waiting, and will be waiting a long time. But if we are warned about men who "Transform themselves" into Apostles of Christ, men who "Profess to know Jesus" but reject God's Judgments, "many" who call Him Lord, teaching in His Name but "work iniquity", or a "many" who come in Christ's Name, teaching HE is the Messiah, but who refuse to walk "even as HE walked", then truly we are in the times of which Jesus warned.

As it is written. "A little Leaven leavens the whole lump".

It seems prudent to establish the truth about who the Spirit of God warned about in the Holy scriptures. Men who claim to be God, or men who claim God sent them.

Jesus told His disciples that His coming would be in the midst of a time when many false Christs would be deceiving many people. Yet many people are still asking that same question today: How are we to know when Jesus Christ will return? What will be the signs of the second coming? The number of modern day calls in their acceptance just might be a clue.

First, let’s define what is meant by the word cult. According to Dr. Charles S. Braden, “A cult … is any religious group which differs significantly in some one or more respects as to belief or practice from those religious groups which are regarded as the normative expressions of religion in our total culture.” Historically in Western civilization, the “normative expression of religion” has been Christianity. So Christians identify a cult more precisely as a group “which surrounds a leader or a group of teachings which either denies or misinterprets essential biblical doctrine.”

The two most common teachings of Christian cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in the view that Jesus’ death was insufficient to pay for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in the teaching that salvation is achieved by our own works.

I'm sure Dr. Branden comes in Christ's Name, preaching Jesus is the Messiah. And he may have "Many" who follow him and his gospel. But for me, I am placing my trust in the Holy scriptures "for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness". The Jesus "of the Bible" tells me HIS Words are Spirit and they are Life.

He says, John 17: 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, "and" Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

He said Matt. 19: 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

He said John 14: 28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

He said Matt. 10: 28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

It is written of HIM. Heb. 5: 7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

He said John 4: 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

So because of these Words and more, I am convinced that the Christ, the Holy One of Israel, the Rock that fed and watered Israel, came to earth as a flesh and blood human. There are "many" who call Him Lord, who come in His Name, who preach that HE came to earth as immortal God. But I am also warned about this teaching.

1 John 4: 1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Regarding Faith, true Faith doesn't exist without works. The Christ "of the bible" says men are judged by their "works". Faith without "works" is dead. So the teaching "Faith alone" if it has no works, is a deception.

The Jesus of the Bible says the Path we should strive to walk is a narrow Path that few choose to walk. While the Path that leads to destruction, is a broad path that "Many" walk. Consider something for a moment. Those religious leaders who are promoting the broad Path, are they saying "Come follow us on the Path to destruction"? Or are they saying, "come follow us on the path to salvation"? Could this be the reason why Jesus warned to "Take Heed" we are not deceived by the "MANY" who come in His Name, who promote this world's religions followed by "Many"?

Surely a man who is striving to obey the Jesus "of the Bible" and is "Seeking first the Kingdom of God and HIS Righteousness", should consider these things.

A lot of the modern day cult Leaders have claimed to be Jesus Christ. And their followers have believed them. One that comes to mind is David Koresh.

Ever wondered what it’s like to have someone convinced that you are the Messiah? Take a look at David Koresh, a messiah-like figure who led a cult that ended in disaster. He grew up as a typical boy and had a normal childhood, but he began to change when he became a teenager. Koresh claimed that God spoke to him and told him he was the Messiah. He also said that God gave him a car and that it was something that no one else could drive but him!

Eventually, Koresh started to believe that he was King David, who reigned over Israel 2,000 years ago. As time passed, he became the leader of a group of followers known as the Branch Davidians. He preached an apocalyptic message to his followers. He was known for his charismatic personality and ability to persuade people to join his group. Koresh’s teachings included the belief that the end of the world was imminent and that his followers were chosen by God to survive the coming apocalypse. He also claimed to be the final prophet mentioned in the Bible’s Book of Revelation.

In 1993, the FBI conducted a raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, where Koresh and his followers were living. The siege lasted 51 days and resulted in the deaths of 76 Branch Davidians, including Koresh. The FBI believed the group was stockpiling weapons and preparing for a violent confrontation with the government. The standoff ended when the FBI launched a tear gas attack on the compound, which led to a fire that engulfed the building.

The bottom line is for a Christians, a cult can be defined as a perversion of biblical Christianity.
Every denomination of ordinary Christianity is heterodox or a heresy, a perversion, of some other of biblical interpretation by another Christian denomination.

Heterodox ideas, contrary to an established theology and a heresy, ideas inimical and destructive to another theology, both get their meaning from the original doctrine they are being compared with.

Iow, to contend that an idea is heterodox or a heresy without mentioning which Church dogma is being contested or compared with by it is moot.

Some cult groups claim to be Christian, yet deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. They do believe in many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as cults.

Jesus said those men who placed their belief in Him and His Words over the mainstream religions of this world God placed us in, would be ridiculed and rejected of men, especially those who professed to know Him, but by their works denied Him, "being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate".

It's to be expected if a man is on the right Path.

They also come up with some extremely weird and dangerous teachings.

Certainly dangerous for the "many" religious sects and businesses who come in His Name, who compete with other religions for Souls to fill the seats in the manmade shrines of worship, without which their religion could not exist.

"Biblical Christianity" and "mainstream Christianity" have historically been two different Paths. There are the "Many" who call Jesus Lord, but transgress God's Judgments and commandments by their own religious traditions who Jesus said walked in the broad path. And there are the few, who strive to enter the narrow path, or as Paul teaches, "Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

A lot of the modern day cult Leaders have claimed to be Jesus Christ. And their followers have believed them. One that comes to mind is David Koresh.

Ever wondered what it’s like to have someone convinced that you are the Messiah? Take a look at David Koresh, a messiah-like figure who led a cult that ended in disaster. He grew up as a typical boy and had a normal childhood, but he began to change when he became a teenager. Koresh claimed that God spoke to him and told him he was the Messiah. He also said that God gave him a car and that it was something that no one else could drive but him!

Eventually, Koresh started to believe that he was King David, who reigned over Israel 2,000 years ago. As time passed, he became the leader of a group of followers known as the Branch Davidians. He preached an apocalyptic message to his followers. He was known for his charismatic personality and ability to persuade people to join his group. Koresh’s teachings included the belief that the end of the world was imminent and that his followers were chosen by God to survive the coming apocalypse. He also claimed to be the final prophet mentioned in the Bible’s Book of Revelation.

In 1993, the FBI conducted a raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, where Koresh and his followers were living. The siege lasted 51 days and resulted in the deaths of 76 Branch Davidians, including Koresh. The FBI believed the group was stockpiling weapons and preparing for a violent confrontation with the government. The standoff ended when the FBI launched a tear gas attack on the compound, which led to a fire that engulfed the building.
Cults can be extremely dangerous. Here is what Robert J. Morgan has to say about them.

The Marks of a Cult

Cult Members May Be Highly Educated. Jean Mills was a seven-year member of the cult called the People’s Temple. She said, “I could give you an answer from the Bible for any question. I know the Bible backward and forward.” The number two man of the same cult was Tim Stoen. Tim was a graduate of one of the most conservative evangelical Christian colleges in America, Wheaton College in Illinois. He was also a law graduate of Stanford University. He became the assistant district attorney for San Francisco. Then he resigned his district attorney position to go to Jonestown in 1977. His orthodox Christian roots and his brain finally alerted him that something was wrong with the People’s Temple. He defected and tried to get his six-year-old son John out, but he was too late. Later, little Johnny was found dead near Jones’s body in Guyana.

Cult Leaders Say Jesus Is not the Messiah, or He Is not the Only Messiah. Jones believed that he himself was God’s messenger. Cults may say that they believe in Jesus, but the leader often elevates himself to a place equal to Jesus or as the successor to Jesus. Cult leaders often adamantly refuse to be questioned about their authority and desire to be seen as perfect. Jones would stage fake healings in his worship services. Chicken parts were used to represent cancers he had extracted from sick people during his fake healing ministry.

Cult Followers Often Say They Weren’t Loved in Their Previous Churches. Cults often create a warm and loving environment that is welcoming to most anyone. Hearing this should compel us to love our members so much that no one would feel so starved for love that they would seek a cult to join.

Cults are Often Attractive on the Surface but Abusive in Practice. We often see abuse of authority. Jim Jones rejected the authority of the Bible, claiming there were errors in Scripture. At least once, he threw a Bible on the floor and shouted at God, “If there is a God in heaven, strike me dead!” Often there is abuse of time. Jones kept his people in a state of exhaustion. He would have long worship meetings, organizational meetings, and long periods of ministry. Abuse of money is another key. Cults may try to keep their members in a state of poverty and dependence. They often have an unusually large proportion of income donated. There is abuse of discipline, including both psychological and emotional cruelty. Members may be disciplined for using the wrong toothpaste or voicing a disagreement with the leader. Unfortunately, there is often abuse of sexuality. Jones would order his members to have sex with people he designated, then he would abruptly switch and command total abstinence. Finally, there may be abuse of intimacy. Jones would only allow intimacy with him. Cult leaders often decide whom their followers marry, and this sometimes occurs even if the man and woman hardly know each other.

Back
Top Bottom